Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Halesowen Town (A) B'ham Senior Cup Wednesday 30th November

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Halesowen Town (A) B'ham Senior Cup Wednesday 30th November

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Having been dumped out of the EFL Cup and FA Cup at the first round, the search for cup "glory" takes us or at least the Reserves to the Grove, home of Halesowen Town FC. Halesowen are currently 16th in the Evo-Stick North Premier Division and lost at home on Saturday 1 - 2 to Frickley and a last minute goal. Rushall Olympic are currently 3rd in the table, 2 points off top of the table.

Halesowen top goalscorer is one Kaiman Anderson with 16 goals and is I believe on loan from our friends in Shropshire. With the first team at Sheffield United on Tuesday night it is obvious the team on Wednesday will be a mixture of youth team and 1st year pros.

The Grove is a gentle 20 minute stroll from home and I regularly attend the "number 9 derby" with Stourbridge. The pitch is not the best with a big slope and plenty of "undulations". Their youth team are playing on it on Tuesday night and with temperatures forecast to be -3 overnight for the next couple of nights I am sure the pitch will be in an interesting state.

No predictions from me but I am planning to be there and will post a short report afterwards. I am guessing Welsh was not planning to do his normal preview for this game!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Halesowen Town (A) B'ham Senior Cup Wednesday 30th Novem

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:22 pm

I didn't even know it was taking place - the carrier pigeons are sometimes very slow in this part of the world!!

Usually such fixtures are covered by our "man on the spot" - often in the form of Pedagogue, but please accept my thanks for taking the trouble to post. Some kind of match report or even just team selection would be most welcome. :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:54 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Usually such fixtures are covered by our "man on the spot" - often in the form of Pedagogue ...

Sadly, I can't get to this one, so maybe Mike T. can oblige with a report?

notts_saddler

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:01 pm

My home town team, against the team I've supported since a youngster after that memorable beating of Man U.

Still follow their results & news & of interest they signed former Saddler George Bowerman, who I would think will be looking forward to this game.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:06 pm

I am now going. Can't wait to sample the balmy tropical climes of Halesowen! :D

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 pm

Pedagogue wrote:I am now going. Can't wait to sample the balmy tropical climes of Halesowen! :D

Well I arrived at 7.25pm to discover the ref had called it off due to a frozen pitch. Not best pleased as you can see the floodlights from our house and they were on "full beam" at 7pm so I set off on foot.

I appreciated the pitch would be risky and checked both official sites at 6.30pm and there was no mention of pitch inspections. There are now twitter feeds which apparently are 2 hours ago but I am sure they were not there previously.

I went to the first postponed game at Fleetwood last season and arrived just as it was announced the ref had called it off. At least I didn't have to turn round and drive 100 plus miles back on the M6 tonight.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:24 pm

saw it had been cancelled on the club Facebook feed an hour ago...

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:26 am

Exile wrote:saw it had been cancelled on the club Facebook feed an hour ago...

Luckily, just before you set off :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Mike T. wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:I am now going. Can't wait to sample the balmy tropical climes of Halesowen! :D

Well I arrived at 7.25pm to discover the ref had called it off due to a frozen pitch. Not best pleased as you can see the floodlights from our house and they were on "full beam" at 7pm so I set off on foot.

I appreciated the pitch would be risky and checked both official sites at 6.30pm and there was no mention of pitch inspections. There are now twitter feeds which apparently are 2 hours ago but I am sure they were not there previously.

I went to the first postponed game at Fleetwood last season and arrived just as it was announced the ref had called it off. At least I didn't have to turn round and drive 100 plus miles back on the M6 tonight.
I went to the postponed fleetwood game last year, checked into the hotel, booked show tickets to the viva chrismas show for the night and the manderin chinese after, cost me about £250 :| I hope to god it doesn't fudgin rain next week :|

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:18 pm

chunkster wrote:
Mike T. wrote:

I went to the postponed fleetwood game last year, checked into the hotel, booked show tickets to the viva chrismas show for the night and the manderin chinese after, cost me about £250 :| I hope to god it doesn't fudgin rain next week :|

If it so much as spits, you just know they will call it off!! :lol: :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:50 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Mike T. wrote:

If it so much as spits, you just know they will call it off!! :lol: :lol:
I know :| the thing is it is a good weekend away game, i would just like to see some fudgin football this time :lol:

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Re arranged for tomorrow. Still planning to go but it has rained all day in Halesowen today. No doubt will be called off due to a waterlogged pitch this time!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:46 pm

0-2 at half time, og and Ginnelly the scorers.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:11 pm

68' in. 1-2 , Goddard for them.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:23 pm

Currently 1-3. Docherrty for the Saddlers.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:33 pm

Final score 1-4, Peters gets the last as Saddlers beat Yeltz.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:46 pm

It was worth the wait. Not a bad performance and looked relatively comfortable. It appeared to be a 4 - 2 -3 -1 formation with Cameron Peters as the lone striker with support from Ginnely and Hayles - Docherty from the wing. Peters worked really hard and deserved his last minute goal. I was also impressed with Hayles - Docherty who is fast, quite direct with a trick or two. Perhaps needs to learn when to pass and when to dribble.

Jordan Sangha played as one of the two holding midfielders and grew into the game. Played it quite simple in view of the state of the pitch and set up the 3rd goal from Hayles - Docherty with a driving run from midfield. Defence basically had to deal with series of long balls pumped forward and Kory Roberts won most of the headers and looked composed and in control.

It looked like Maz Kouyar was on the bench and close to being back to full fitness.

George Bowerman played for the Yeltz and looked disappointed to be taken off after 75 minutes.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:00 am

Useful workout and a deserved win for the team of Walsall teenagers. Team managed by John Ward and Graham Biggs with Messrs Whitney, Sparks and Cutler among the crowd of 140. George Bowerman was rubbish for the Yeltz - how that young man has gone backwards over the last few years! It will be interesting to see how many of the Saddlers youngsters eventually make the grade.

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/article/ ... 69296.aspx

Return to 2016-17 Season