Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Utd (A) League One, Tue Nov 29th 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Re: Sheffield Utd (A) League One, Tue Nov 29th 7.45pm

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:45 pm

Just got back.

Whitney deserves a lot of credit for going 3-5-2. This negated the blunts tactic of having wingers wide to stretch the defence and then switching the play so the opposing winger has space. Our plan worked well. They huffed and puffed but I never felt they would score. Great ball from ozzy for the goal, although I was screaming penalty as I thought Balakovo was fouled. Pleasantly surprised to see the ball roll in the net.

2nd half followed a similar pattern, although I was s bit disappointed they we didn't keep the ball better thus inviting pressure. Felt it was all in vain when they got the penalty but credit to etheridge.

All in all a great result, but I wouldn't read too much into this. It will be an up and down season.

chambers. Oconnor and etheridge were superb. MY MoM would be laird who was excellent whilst not being in his usual position

UTS

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:49 pm

Pheasey_Saddler wrote:Fantastic ball through for goal from Ozzy and well taken by Baka too.

According to Sky Sports' expert, he managed to get on the end of a 'hopeful punt' upfield.

Interestingly, my reaction to that comment actually rhymes with 'hopeful punt'...

UTS Legend

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:23 am

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:09 am

Cracks papered over yet again.

Everyone is giving Whitney credit playing 3-5-2 and starting Bakayoko. Isn't this something the vast majority of us have been asking for for weeks? I can see straight through this result.

Good win and happy with it but Whitney hardly gets credit in my eyes. He's making these decisions 4 games too late and will revert back to 4-2-3-1.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:11 am

saddla wrote:Now someone tell me these lads aren't giving their all for the shirt :roll:

One game :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:28 am

Awful penalty!

Happy with three points. Well done JW and the lads.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:52 am

After watching the shambles last week at Rochdale I was fearing the worst, but fair play to Whitney and the players last night.

The change to 3-5-1-1 really helped us in a defensive sense (Morris was excellent at LWB) and the brief moments where we countered, we looked a threat.

Obviously we had a fair amount of luck last night, but you're going to need that to win at a place like Brammall Lane this season. A real backs to the wall effort in the second half, with Etheridge, O'Connor or Laird contenders for man of the match.

And a message for Whitney, last night is what happens when the 'passion, fight and desire' you crave so much is combined with an actual tactical plan. More of the same please.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:04 am

Crazy league this year! Following that great win we're 5 places and a massive 7pts clear of Cov and the dreaded dotted line, yet only 3pts but 10 places below Peterboro in the play-offs!!
It's a bit early to be calling it but looks like the last 2 play-off spots could go to any 2 out of 12 or 13 teams!! 6pts from 5th place to 17th :shock:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:49 am

Well that was up there with Bolton for being one sided.... If I was a Blades fan I'd call the police and report a robbery

Baka scored...... although that was pretty much all he did. Taken off the ball and dispossessed too easily

JOC back in the defence is a must... Send Toner back straight away.

Although a sub tonight I like Ginelley More and More each time I see him.

Amused that at times we appeared to be playing with two left backs how deep Preston was

Still.... A win is a win and it could be very important come the end of the season

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:09 am

Great win well done to the lads and to Whitney for stop being stubborn and changing system at last.

This is what makes football the great game it is, on paper, league position and form this was a nailed on win for the blades but yet again the underdog won never mind if one sided we got the result.

The joys of supporting our club the lows of maccelsfield, scunny and rochdale to wins like this.

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:20 am

reedswood sadler wrote:Great win well done to the lads and to Whitney for stop being stubborn and changing system at last.

This is what makes football the great game it is, on paper, league position and form this was a nailed on win for the blades but yet again the underdog won never mind if one sided we got the result.

The joys of supporting our club the lows of maccelsfield, scunny and rochdale to wins like this.

UTS

Hopefully Rochdale was the catalyst season changer, we certainly hope so, lets now amend dogged determination into a bit of quality...and some goals! This is a squad with possibilities, all we need is a 'team' within it.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:12 pm

How well did Dobson play?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:58 pm

Super Gabor wrote:How well did Dobson play?

Looked lost at times, gave the ball away too much and was bypassed a lot

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:11 pm

Super Gabor wrote:How well did Dobson play?

Quite a few misplaced passes I thought.

windowman
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:10 pm

no fat frank then

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:47 pm

If you subscribe to saddlers player you can watch the whole game on the Sheffield united OS

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:49 pm

I was down in Southampton with a colleague and I convinced him to go halves on a bet for a Saddlers victory - he did and I was keeping up to speed on my phone until the win was confirmed.. good night all round!

All I hope now is that JW sees the sense in a formation that can create and defend - that said how we kept a clean sheet from what I saw was amazing - looked like the Alamo for the last 15 minutes

Well done to the hardy souls that travelled - good stuff - UTS

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:02 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote:Great win well done to the lads and to Whitney for stop being stubborn and changing system at last.

UTS

Hopefully Rochdale was the catalyst season changer, we certainly hope so, lets now amend dogged determination into a bit of quality...and some goals! This is a squad with possibilities, all we need is a 'team' within it.

I don't think it was Rochdale.

We threw 2 points away at MK, had the same 2nd half lapse at home to Gillingham, then got tonked away at Rochdale. However Whitney still persisted with the same formation and tactics against Southend and it could do easily have got beat again.
Despite being pretty toothless for most of that game and making some pretty awful defensive lapses we got away with a draw. Whitney clearly thought it was good enough but got a shock with the "negative atmosphere". I think the reaction to the Southend game has given him a shake.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:10 pm

scott_powell wrote:
saddla wrote:Now someone tell me these lads aren't giving their all for the shirt :roll:

Indeed.
Great to get a win and hoping we can start to build a run now but remember prior to last night we'd won 1 game in the last 7.
That 1 game was against Leicester U23's with both sides having already qualified for the next round.
There were 3 draws and 3 losses.
The 3 losses were:

Getting knocked out of the FA Cup at home by non-league Macclesfield.
The surrender at home to Gillingham
A 4-0 tonking away at Rochdale where we had barely any possession and even less shots on goal.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Indeed.
Great to get a win and hoping we can start to build a run now but remember prior to last night we'd won 1 game in the last 7.
That 1 game was against Leicester U23's with both sides having already qualified for the next round.
The 3 losses were:

A 4-0 tonking away at Rochdale where we had barely any possession and even less shots on goal.

It always amazes me with these "I'm determined to support the manager at any cost" types that 5, 6 or 7 bad results are too soon to judge, but 1 good result proves they were right.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:14 pm

From their forum.

I happen to know Walsall are thought of as the Barnsley of the Black Country area, inbred chip on their shoulder no marks no one really gives a toss about.

An undeserved one nil away victory in the third division on a cold November night is one of the best results in their history. Sums them up.

Charming.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:18 pm

Super Gabor wrote:From their forum.

I happen to know Walsall are thought of as the Barnsley of the Black Country area, inbred chip on their shoulder no marks no one really gives a toss about.

An undeserved one nil away victory in the third division on a cold November night is one of the best results in their history. Sums them up.

Charming.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Elegant lot from Sheffield ay they.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:44 am

tinned wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Indeed.
The 3 losses were:

It always amazes me with these "I'm determined to support the manager at any cost" types that 5, 6 or 7 bad results are too soon to judge, but 1 good result proves they were right.
i agree these types of comments are premature.we have won one game after being battered for the full 90 mins lets not get carried away here.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:02 am

A win is a win. Stop fudge moaning and get behind the lads.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:08 pm

Lol Sheff United Fans.

The worst club in that region, worse than fudge Leeds.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:34 pm

They have the "Smaller than Wednesday" chip on theirs

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:51 pm

tinned wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Indeed.
The 3 losses were:

I'm a "I'm determined to support the saddlers at any cost" type thanks :mrgreen:

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season