Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (H) Nov 26th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Re: Southend United (H) Nov 26th, 3pm

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:02 am

Guest wrote:JW: 'Good players and a strong bench'.

https://youtu.be/0ziD_EFll1s

I think this is the first time I have heard Jon respond correctly to the media. He was very frank about his tactics and why he picked what he did and what he changed. He also said we are a footballing side and not a hoof ball side, this justifies the selection of 4-5-1 every week. The issue we are facing is the hoof ball game is being played, now in my mind this is probably because of lack of experience at the back and the worry that if the pass it out and a midfielder loses it they will be straight back under pressure and potentially a costly mistake on the cards.

Therefore my thoughts are Jon is seeing it through until January, trying to keep Oztumer, Jackson, Makris, Moussa and Morris happy. Then in January he will move for players more comfortable on the ball at the back, possibly even two centre backs but I would think more likely one. I truly believe the right recruitment would turn our performances and season around.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:05 am

chriss5471 wrote:

I think this is the first time I have heard Jon respond correctly to the media. He was very frank about his tactics and why he picked what he did and what he changed. He also said we are a footballing side and not a hoof ball side, this justifies the selection of 4-5-1 every week. The issue we are facing is the hoof ball game is being played, now in my mind this is probably because of lack of experience at the back and the worry that if the pass it out and a midfielder loses it they will be straight back under pressure and potentially a costly mistake on the cards.

Therefore my thoughts are Jon is seeing it through until January, trying to keep Oztumer, Jackson, Makris, Moussa and Morris happy. Then in January he will move for players more comfortable on the ball at the back, possibly even two centre backs but I would think more likely one. I truly believe the right recruitment would turn our performances and season around.

Top post sir.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:04 pm

I think Whitney is being a little naive by having a pop at the fans who have been more than patient. Beyond the text book David Brent drivel he constantly comes out with I don't think he is very bright.

If he wants to talk about negativity then how negative is it to bring off your leading scorer and best player when you have only scored 3 goals in 6 games and you need a goal to win. Again poor management

I don't like using loan players clearly McCarthy and ginnelly are never going to be regulars at Southampton and Burnley. All that we do is prepare players for when they get sold to league one clubs further down the line and become our competitors like Jody hiwula I'd rather use our own youngsters Preston was fear better than toner yesterday.

Even laird could have cost us at the end with his stupid behaviour and could have got sent off which is the last thing our defence needs with the games coming up. He is supposed to be setting the youngsters an example - idiot

The situation with Makris is a joke he is no better than Jordan Cooke yet gets games because of the price tag normally if the forwards can't score they don't get games and so maybe a new record could be set whereby he will play the most games in a season by a forward without scoring. Again we can't afford to do this because we need goals.

The money spent on Makris and wages for moussa and cuverlier (missing again yesterday) is ridiculous considering the stat we are in - this poor management of the club is not like bonser -

Come on Jeff sort it out

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:52 pm

Cowshed wrote:I think Whitney is being a little naive by having a pop at the fans who have been more than patient. Beyond the text book David Brent drivel he constantly comes out with I don't think he is very bright.

If he wants to talk about negativity then how negative is it to bring off your leading scorer and best player when you have only scored 3 goals in 6 games and you need a goal to win. Again poor management

I don't like using loan players clearly McCarthy and ginnelly are never going to be regulars at Southampton and Burnley. All that we do is prepare players for when they get sold to league one clubs further down the line and become our competitors like Jody hiwula I'd rather use our own youngsters Preston was fear better than toner yesterday.

Even laird could have cost us at the end with his stupid behaviour and could have got sent off which is the last thing our defence needs with the games coming up. He is supposed to be setting the youngsters an example - idiot

The situation with Makris is a joke he is no better than Jordan Cooke yet gets games because of the price tag normally if the forwards can't score they don't get games and so maybe a new record could be set whereby he will play the most games in a season by a forward without scoring. Again we can't afford to do this because we need goals.

The money spent on Makris and wages for moussa and cuverlier (missing again yesterday) is ridiculous considering the stat we are in - this poor management of the club is not like bonser -

Come on Jeff sort it out

Makris gets games? He's started less than 5 games (I think) and that's the first time he's started as an out and out striker.

I agree with the rest, fat Franck must be on a small fortune and I feel for Cuvelier, obviously injuries have almost killed his career as he looked a Championship player when he was first here but now he's just a waste of a wage.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:12 pm

IHTC. wrote:Makris gets games? He's started less than 5 games (I think) and that's the first time he's started as an out and out striker.

Makris has started 10 league games so far this season, and come on as a substitute in 6 others. We have now seen more than enough to know what he can do. He has nearly three years left on his contract.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Sorry to go 'off topic' somewhat, (but this thread is more current) Has anyone any idea what happened to MMF at Rochdale? Police & Jobs worth's involved, but could not find out what had gone on.

Seems from the reports that we were not really that much better today, and with three really difficult games to come, the immediate future looks a little worrying being only 4 points off the zone at the moment, we could find ourselves in the 'trouble' that we did not want to see.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:36 pm

chriss5471 wrote:

If that's the issue, shouldn't he have brought in defenders who are comfortable on the ball this summer? Recruitment has been disappointing this season, only Otzumer could be put forward as a player who's improved the squad, while Cuvellier, Osborne (due to lack of fitness), Makris, Toner and Moussa have been flops so far.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:00 am

Harry wrote:
IHTC. wrote:Makris gets games? He's started less than 5 games (I think) and that's the first time he's started as an out and out striker.

Makris has started 10 league games so far this season, and come on as a substitute in 6 others. We have now seen more than enough to know what he can do. He has nearly three years left on his contract.

Absolutely shocked he's started so many

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season