Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (H) Nov 26th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Southend United (H) Nov 26th, 3pm

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:39 pm

The only crumb of comfort I can find for this game is the thought that it surely can't be as bad as that pathetic performance at Rochdale.......can it? We welcome the Shrimpers who of course contain one recognisable face in the form of Jason Demetriou, and his side are sitting handily placed in the League One table in 9th place, only 2 points below the play-offs and currently unbeaten in their last 7 League One games. They do, however, possess a negative goal difference despite their relatively high placing - and they've also had very mixed fortunes on their travels. Winning 1-4 at Bury was perhaps understandable, and a 0-3 result at MK Dons was praiseworthy, but defeats at Rochdale (3-0) Northampton Town (4-0) and Scunthorpe United (4-0) show that their defence doesn't always travel too well. Current form:

18 Oct Bradford City (A) Drew 1-1
22 Oct MK Dons (A) Won 0-3
29 Oct Shrewsbury Town (H) Drew 1-1
12 Nov Bury (A) Won 1-4
19 Nov Bradford City (H) Won 3-0
22 Nov Swindon Town (H) Drew 1-1

Whatever Jon Whitney does in terms of selection and tactics surely has to be an improvement on the Rochdale humiliation, unless he prescribes "more of the same". Hopefully our newly appointed coach will have been able to point one or two players in the right direction, and the four goals conceded at Rochdale should have been viewed in detail to prevent further "gimme" incidents. As far as team selection is concerned, the inclusion of Osbourne, Bakayoko and O'Connor would probably help, and the availability of Kieron Morris would be welcome. Admittedly Etheridge has, on occasion, been wickedly exposed by defenders either going AWOL or attempting suicidal backpasses (from the opposition's half!!) but giving away arguably needless penalties doesn't do him any favours, and I wonder whether MacGillivray might be worth a League One outing.

Prediction? I'll be happy just to avoid defeat on this one - let's be optimistic and say 1-1, with Oztumer back in form and scoring.

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Southend United (H) Nov 26th, 3pm

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:57 pm

I won't go into doom and gloom mode, even though that is what i feel after the last game :| i think that jw's only get out clause is to shake the players up and get a performance out of them. in which case i think a win is the only option. but it really does hinge on what he has learned from the games we have played this season. in particular changing things round if it's not working and more importantly stop pumping the ball up to inch high private eye :roll: i will go for a narrow 2-1 with baka and ozzy getting the goals.

coop63
Glitterati

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:35 pm

2-2 with goals from Bako and Ozzie

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:39 pm

We'll win this one.

BELIEVE

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:10 pm

We're doomed. Therefore, 7-0.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:34 pm

Phil Brown will be too savvy for JW.

Firstly JW has already stated he's expecting Southend to play 4-4-2 so any half decent manager would see that and think ok we will play another system,

and secondly JW has stated shirts are up for grabs and training today and tomorrow will show him who wants to play, no plan to counter act Southends plan, no plan to be as creative and as solid as we can, just who trains a little bit harder, brilliant.

Prediction time:-

At least 9 of the side who 'started' against Rochdale will start which will lead to a 1-3 loss. And JW will ask his players to look in the mirror for a change.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:33 am

Just noticed that the Philippines have an international match against Thailand today (Friday) - in the AFF Suzuki Cup, which they have to win in order to progress to the semi-final stages. Thailand are already qualified, apparently.

Such team news as I can find suggests that the Azkals' goalkeeper will be Muller - no mention of Etheridge..... :?

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:56 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Just noticed that the Philippines have an international match against Thailand today (Friday) - in the AFF Suzuki Cup, which they have to win in order to progress to the semi-final stages. Thailand are already qualified, apparently.

Such team news as I can find suggests that the Azkals' goalkeeper will be Muller - no mention of Etheridge..... :?

I think that's because the Suzuki Cup isn't a registered FIFA competition, so therefore we don't need to release Etheridge for it.

Regarding the game, we really can't be as bad as we were on Tuesday - that just simply isn't possible.

I'd like to see us go with:

Etheridge

McCarthy
O'Connor
Preston
Laird

Osbourne
Cuvelier

Morris
Oztumer

Bakayoko
Makris

I can't actually come up with a coherent formation though, because we've got such an unbalanced squad...

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:41 am

I wouldn't be surprised if he fields the exact same squad that has blown the last 3 games. :?

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:27 pm

IHTC. wrote:and secondly JW has stated shirts are up for grabs and training today and tomorrow will show him who wants to play, no plan to counter act Southends plan, no plan to be as creative and as solid as we can, just who trains a little bit harder, brilliant.

He'll probably hold a chest beating competition to see who "BELIEVES" the most :roll:

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:34 pm

Going to be tough this one.

If Demetriou is playing to his strengths at Sarfend, it will expose our left-hand side defensive frailties. That's before even looking at what else they have this term.

I'd like to see our team picked on passed performances, and what is needed against the opposition. Don't really care who's brown nosing in training for 3 hours a day Thurs/Friday.

A hardworking Makris in-front of Keith (he's drawing a dog) might help, as it did before he vanished before the Northampton game. Osbourne is a bigger miss for me, appreciating he was awful against Scunny, and coming in and out of the side is difficult to build any sort of rhythm, but I'd like to see him if only for 60 mins or 30 as a sub. He clearly adds direction and is much more physical than anyone else we have.

I don't think we'll get anything out of the game, which means we will, as it will just about keep up the masquerade of doing reasonably for points.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:37 pm

1-1.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Barren Flak wrote:Going to be tough this one.

If Demetriou is playing to his strengths at Sarfend, it will expose our left-hand side defensive frailties. That's before even looking at what else they have this term.

I'd like to see our team picked on passed performances, and what is needed against the opposition. Don't really care who's brown nosing in training for 3 hours a day Thurs/Friday.

A hardworking Makris in-front of Keith (he's drawing a dog) might help, as it did before he vanished before the Northampton game. Osbourne is a bigger miss for me, appreciating he was awful against Scunny, and coming in and out of the side is difficult to build any sort of rhythm, but I'd like to see him if only for 60 mins or 30 as a sub. He clearly adds direction and is much more physical than anyone else we have.

I don't think we'll get anything out of the game, which means we will, as it will just about keep up the masquerade of doing reasonably for points.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Demetriou would not be playing?
Suspended?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:45 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:

Suspended?

He was sent off against Northampton Town back in September, but played in the very next game 3 days later - possibly it was appealed successfully. He's figured fairly consistently since then, but he was booked in the most recent game against Swindon Town. I can't find any more yellows for a totting-up situation though. :?

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:32 pm

3-0 to the Saddlers & a Makris hat-trick to boot!!

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:00 pm

dobbster71 wrote:3-0 to the Saddlers & a Makris hat-trick to boot!!
gotta get off the bench first :lol: :lol:

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:16 pm

It'll happen............one day.....

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:55 pm

dobbster71 wrote:It'll happen............one day.....

Just not on Saturday! :wink:
Can't see us getting anything out of this game, the whole squad is playing without any coherent plan or pride, utter shambles. 0-3 with a very low turn out that won't be improving any time soon with displays like Tuesday.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:33 am

SaddlerSteve wrote:

Suspended?

Joe Masi, the E & S reporter, had it on his Twitter feed, until he was corrected. He'd noticed he'd picked up five bookings, but one of them was on International duty so that doesn't count in the domestic five-and-you're-out-for-a-game malarkey. I fully expect him to tear our left hand side a new one.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Persisting with one up front and Makris is starting.
Bakayoko stuck on the bench.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:26 pm

Starting line-up against Southend Utd:

Etheridge

McCarthy
O'Connor
Toner
Laird

Chambers
Edwards
Morris

Oztumer
Ginnelly

Makris

Substitutes: MacGillivray, Dobson, Osbourne, Bakayoko, Kinsella, Preston, Jackson

(Demetriou starts at right-back for Southend)

... and for some inexplicable reason, the betting exchanges have us as favourites to win this one!!! :shock:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:49 pm

really can't understand what osbourne and baka have done ?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:50 pm

Elsewhere, Oldham Athletic v Peterborough Utd is called off because the Boundary Park pitch is frozen.

Chesterfield 0 Bristol Rovers 1 (3 min)

Southend's woodwork clattered (7 min) - we have a corner

AFC Wimbledon 0 Fleetwood Town 1 (11 min)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Southend yellow card, 14 min (Timlin foul on Oztumer)

Dingles :lol: :lol: :lol:

Swindon Town 1 Bradford City 0 (19 min)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:21 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Elsewhere, Oldham Athletic v Peterborough Utd is called off because the Boundary Park pitch is frozen.

Chesterfield 0 Bristol Rovers 1 (3 min)

Southend's woodwork clattered (7 min) - we have a corner

AFC Wimbledon 0 Fleetwood Town 1 (11 min)

Crikey that was unexpected...NOT!
We in the North West are covered in a low cloud of freezing fog, that just won't lift, minus 3 under it, my car still frozen windscreen, even now. The wonderous weather forecasters sais it would not fall below 4 degrees all night, so Oldham won't have made arrangements to combat what must have been minus 6/10 overnight.
What, 15 minutes gone and we aye losin yet? Sarfend obviously did not watch us on Tuesday

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:25 pm

Walsall yellow card, 24 min (Chambers)

Northampton Town 0 Bolton Wanderers 1 (26 min)

Chesterfield 2 Bristol Rovers 1 (39 min)

Dingles x 2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scunthorpe Utd 1 Oxford Utd 0 (33 min)

Charlton Athletic 0 Sheffield Utd 1

Coventry City 1 MK Dons 1 (40 min)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:37 pm

From the stats it looks as if it is getting a little one sided, so won't be long before we concede methinks. Bolton & the Blades beginning to climb towards the top two places as predicted by many (including me!)

Would be interested to see the crowd figure today.

More like a mauling than one sided!! The goals will just have to come eventually.
Last edited by Ancient Moaner on Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Preston got dropped whilst the walking calamity that is Kevin Toner stayed in the team.
This is fudge cack!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:45 pm

A second yellow card for Southend, 45 min (Simon Cox)

Half-time and we appear to be fortunate in keeping the score to 0-0.

As far as stats are concerned, Southend have had twice as many attacks, twice as many "dangerous" attacks, and the same proportion of shots both on and off target.

We're ahead on corners though....we're good at getting corners. Can't do anything with them, that's the problem!

Substitutions to start the second half, anyone??? :mrgreen:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:01 pm

Somehow managed to get to half-time without conceding.
Started OK but then totally ran out of steam after 25 minutes or so.
Thought ref was going to give Southend a penalty, but then changed his mind for some reason.
Generally cack going forward, although Chambers, of all people, made the pass of the season to Laird.

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season