Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (A) League One, Tues Nov 22nd 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Rochdale (A) League One, Tues Nov 22nd 7.45pm

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:00 pm

Keep happily clapping happy clappers. It's alright, if we wait long enough I'm sure things will improve. JW will beat his chest a few extra times and shout "believe" that bit louder and all will be well.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:02 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Well that sounded dismal.

Really couldn't believe it when I heard the team was unchanged...was going to post that at 7.30pm but my laptop crashed so it's not a case of being wise after the event.

I would've given starts to J O'C, Osbourne and Baka just to freshen things up...the defence is too young, could've given Chambers a breather and Jackson is a non-entity atm.

Would expect those changes at least for Saturday...there has to be a response as after that it's Sheffield and Fleetwood away who are both on fire at home and then Bradford who don't lose many.

Pretty much agree with all of that - Chambers is looking like he's not quite on it and was overtly negative on Saturday breaking up any forward momentum on many occasions - can't afford that with our minimalistic forward formation!!!! :roll:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:02 pm

Sounds as though we were unlucky tonight.

Clutching.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Oh dear just got in and checked the score.
Have just been walking along the river in Krakow on a beautiful evening & was thinking I could have been at Spotland now.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:05 pm

hullsaddler wrote:Oh dear just got in and checked the score.
Have just been walking along the river in Krakow on a beautiful evening & was thinking I could have been at Spotland now.

I'm sure you made the right choice (just) :wink:

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Sounds as though we were unlucky tonight.

Clutching.

So's JW!

dajw_my_son
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:06 pm

Have they done the mannequin challenge again... for 90 minutes!!

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:08 pm

dajw_my_son wrote:Have they done the mannequin challenge again... for 90 minutes!!

Best of the night so far :mrgreen:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:09 pm

hullsaddler wrote:Oh dear just got in and checked the score.

Really cheer yourself up and look at the stats!

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:13 pm

phew!!!! we got away lightly tonight. after looking at the team selection and tactics it could have been more, so glad it wasn't , i think JW should be proud :mrgreen:

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:36 pm

Harry wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:Bad result. Bad month. You lot must be having particular bad weeks, did everyone just expect our October form (4 wins, 2 draws) to continue right through to the end of the season?

Our results in October were excellent, but our form, in the sense of the quality of our play, was mediocre. There were serious and very obvious problems in our formation, our central attack and our central defence. Despite this, and thanks to a combination of good fortune and fine individual performances by players including Oztumer and Etheridge we put together a string of good results. That should not have fooled anyone, but unfortunately it did.

Correct. And worryingly teams that we should have beaten, Coventry, MK Dons, Gillingham have gone back to their losing ways. We are becoming a team that opponents look forward to playing.

With regard to Whitney, I am afraid the writing was on the wall during the Play Offs. In his interviews he has spoken incessantly about motivation and desire. All good things but not enough. Setting up the team - actually knowing who the best team is, and making the right decisions is the role of a real manager.

They say that one of the biggest mistakes a business makes is to promote its best salesman to Sales Manger. It invariably ends in failure because the skills are different and it ends up with the Sales Manager getting sacked and the outstanding salesman's skills lost. Walsall have made the same mistake with Whitney.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:38 pm

Just got back in....so I've calmed down...a little........

Positives:
1) Groundsmen did a great job to get the game (haha) on.
2) Whitney will resign, or be sacked in the morning.
3) No team wearing Walsall colours will EVER play a match as badly again.
4) We had one attack on goal + a free kick which Frank lobbed strait into the frozen fingers of Rochdale's goalie......end of the highlights of the evening.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 pm

Went 442 second half a rare change in tactics but at least changes were made and early.

Wonder if we will start like this on Saturday but means dropping Ozzy

No way will bonser sack Whitney now he is well liked at the club and has a long contract

Only if we are adrift at the bottom but there seems to be a few poor teams down there

Defence is so poor it will be interesting to see if the 3 loanees are retained in January I hope not

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:44 pm

Fish wrote:
Harry wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:Bad result. Bad month. You lot must be having particular bad weeks, did everyone just expect our October form (4 wins, 2 draws) to continue right through to the end of the season?

Our results in October were excellent, but our form, in the sense of the quality of our play, was mediocre. There were serious and very obvious problems in our formation, our central attack and our central defence. Despite this, and thanks to a combination of good fortune and fine individual performances by players including Oztumer and Etheridge we put together a string of good results. That should not have fooled anyone, but unfortunately it did.

Correct. And worryingly teams that we should have beaten, Coventry, MK Dons, Gillingham have gone back to their losing ways. We are becoming a team that opponents look forward to playing.

With regard to Whitney, I am afraid the writing was on the wall during the Play Offs. In his interviews he has spoken incessantly about motivation and desire. All good things but not enough. Setting up the team - actually knowing who the best team is, and making the right decisions is the role of a real manager.

They say that one of the biggest mistakes a business makes is to promote its best salesman to Sales Manger. It invariably ends in failure because the skills are different and it ends up with the Sales Manager getting sacked and the outstanding salesman's skills lost. Walsall have made the same mistake with Whitney.

Interesting observation there - I agree

It's also a point that good and effective leaders don't often make good managers - unfotrunately it looks like we have a good example in JW - great when an example were needed of setting standards or an application to fitness programmes etc etc but do players want to play for him in a failing system????

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:04 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Just got back in....so I've calmed down...a little........

Positives:
1) Groundsmen did a great job to get the game (haha) on.
2) Whitney will resign, or be sacked in the morning.
3) No team wearing Walsall colours will EVER play a match as badly again.
4) We had one attack on goal + a free kick which Frank lobbed strait into the frozen fingers of Rochdale's goalie......end of the highlights of the evening.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

And for once AM....I will not be disagreeing with anything you say. :lol:

You and the other 100 or so have massive respect from me for going tonight...even if it was just a quick 5 minute jog down the road for you. :wink:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:06 pm

Cowshed wrote:Went 442 second half a rare change in tactics but at least changes were made and early.

Wonder if we will start like this on Saturday but means dropping Ozzy

No way will bonser sack Whitney now he is well liked at the club and has a long contract

Only if we are adrift at the bottom but there seems to be a few poor teams down there

Defence is so poor it will be interesting to see if the 3 loanees are retained in January I hope not

I think Laird and McCarthy have done alright, McCarthy I think has shown a lot of improvement in recent weeks.

Toner though isn't the right fit for CH, young inexperienced CB for a young inexperienced defence....a no-nonsense solid CB needs to be found from somewhere like Butler was all those years ago.

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:20 pm

I couldn't agree more on the centre-half pairing.

I know this sounds revolutionary, but I propose that we play more-or-less 1 to 11 (i.e. the back of the programme).

Edwards is a decent right-back, Laird is a good left-back, O'Connor is an experienced defender and McCarthy is better than Downing (and will listen to O'Connor).

Preston and especially Toner MUST be dropped or I will be throwing my toys out of the pram on Saturday at Southend.

Osbourne and Makris deserve consideration, along with Bakayoko.

However, it begs the question, if this wasn't Whitney's best 1-11, why give them the shirt numbers 1-11?

This could be a steady starting point moving forward:

1.) Etheridge

2.) Edwards (RB)
3.) Laird (LB)
4.) O'Connor (CB)
5.) McCarthy (CB)

6.) Dobson (CM) - deserves a chance and AT HOME we are supposed to keep the ball (which he is good at)
7.) Chambers (CM) captain - needs to keep going until we find a centre-half. Then put Edwards into CM again
8.) Cuvelier (CM) if he plays well, he stays in the team. AT HOME we want attacking players.

10.) Oztumer (playmaker) - tell him to do what he wants but not drop too deep to collect the ball (Dobson can do that).

9.) Jackson (CF) - badly needs a goal but deserves one more chance (Makris on the bench if it's not happening)

11.) Morris (collect the ball and run with it) - if unfit, Ginnelly. Moussa should come on for Oztumer, if he is still out of form.

With Baka chomping at the bit to come into a 4-4-2 if it's not working, surely Oztumer and Jackson can link up and make things happen.

No performance v Southend (regardless of the result) and the atmosphere will turn toxic I'm afraid...

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:40 pm

Am I alone in thinking that MacGillivray deserves a chance in a League match? :?

**dons tin hat and hides behind parapet**

UTS Legend

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:44 pm

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:14 am

I really wanted Whitney to do well but he appears to be turning into O'Dismal.
Playing the wrong formation and employing the wrong tactics.
Despite playing crap and losing still playing the same team next game.
Refusing to start certain players and keeping them on the bench.
Making changes when there's barely any game left for them to make an impact and usually when we're already losing.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:32 am

What gets me is its the same formation with the same players playing the same tactics against whoever we play, there is no plan A or plan Z it's simply you play this way and that's it regardless whether the opposition play 3-5-2 or as Rochdale did today 4-6-0 or 4-5-1 (midfielder pushing forward).

I believe we lost 4-0 today against a side that did not play with a recognised striker WTF????????

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:33 am

JJunior9 wrote:I couldn't agree more on the centre-half pairing.

I know this sounds revolutionary, but I propose that we play more-or-less 1 to 11 (i.e. the back of the programme).

Edwards is a decent right-back, Laird is a good left-back, O'Connor is an experienced defender and McCarthy is better than Downing (and will listen to O'Connor).

Preston and especially Toner MUST be dropped or I will be throwing my toys out of the pram on Saturday at Southend.

However, it begs the question, if this wasn't Whitney's best 1-11, why give them the shirt numbers 1-11?

1.) Etheridge

2.) Edwards (RB)
3.) Laird (LB)
4.) O'Connor (CB)
5.) McCarthy (CB)

6.) Dobson (CM) - deserves a chance and AT HOME we are supposed to keep the ball (which he is good at)
7.) Chambers (CM) captain - needs to keep going until we find a centre-half. Then put Edwards into CM again
8.) Cuvelier (CM) if he plays well, he stays in the team. AT HOME we want attacking players.

10.) Oztumer (playmaker) - tell him to do what he wants but not drop too deep to collect the ball (Dobson can do that).

9.) Jackson (CF) - badly needs a goal but deserves one more chance (Makris on the bench if it's not happening)

11.) Morris (collect the ball and run with it) - if unfit, Ginnelly. Moussa should come on for Oztumer, if he is still out of form.

With Baka chomping at the bit to come into a 4-4-2 if it's not working, surely Oztumer and Jackson can link up and make things happen.

No performance v Southend (regardless of the result) and the atmosphere will turn toxic I'm afraid...

Just ask the 100 or so brave souls who witnessed the most abysmal appalling display I have EVER seen regurgetated from a set of players wearing Walsall shirts.
As I left early after the 4th goal was gifted to Rochdale, I spoke to a Rochdale couple who said " that was the most appalling non-display from any football team they had EVER seen at Spotland"........from the horses mouth?
Relegation with Whitter's in charge, change or we've had it, nothing less.
Don't care if anyone out there disagrees, if you had been there, you would be saying the same, we are relegation certainties, put your money on it.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:35 am

Guest wrote:http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10668440/rochdale-4-0-walsall

Fortunately, I can't watch this even with VPN.

What the hell is going on with that 4th goal? Absolutely baffling.

Carolina Saddler

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:55 am

Due to living in the US I rarely attend games however this evening I was able to and therefore I would like to contribute with my match report.

Complete and utter rubbish.

After one minute of play it was very clear that management had the tactics very wrong.

Shockingly poor display of professional football.

However I did find the sarcastic support from the Saddlers faithful to be very entertaining.
The highlight of my evening was witnessing, what seemed to be a fairly calm elderly gentleman, at the final whistle, explode with anger fourcing his false teeth to fly out. If only the players had shown his passion.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:01 am

Carolina Saddler wrote:Due to living in the US I rarely attend games however this evening I was able to and therefore I would like to contribute with my match report.

After one minute of play it was very clear that management had the tactics very wrong.

However I did find the sarcastic support from the Saddlers faithful to be very entertaining.
The highlight of my evening was witnessing, what seemed to be a fairly calm elderly gentleman, at the final whistle, explode with anger fourcing his false teeth to fly out. If only the players had shown his passion.
that bloody ancient moaner :lol:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:37 am

chunkster wrote:
Carolina Saddler wrote:Due to living in the US I rarely attend games however this evening I was able to and therefore I would like to contribute with my match report.

that bloody ancient moaner :lol:

My thoughts exactly Chumksta !

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:41 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Just ask the 100 or so brave souls who witnessed the most abysmal appalling display I have EVER seen regurgetated from a set of players wearing Walsall shirts.
Worse than the 5-0 drubbing at Griffin Park that ended Merson's managerial career AM?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:09 am

Well, we could do with a bit more bite in midfield. :D

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:45 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
JJunior9 wrote:I couldn't agree more on the centre-half pairing.

1.) Etheridge

2.) Edwards (RB)
3.) Laird (LB)
4.) O'Connor (CB)
5.) McCarthy (CB)

Just ask the 100 or so brave souls who witnessed the most abysmal appalling display I have EVER seen regurgetated from a set of players wearing Walsall shirts.
As I left early after the 4th goal was gifted to Rochdale, I spoke to a Rochdale couple who said " that was the most appalling non-display from any football team they had EVER seen at Spotland"........from the horses mouth?
Relegation with Whitter's in charge, change or we've had it, nothing less.
Don't care if anyone out there disagrees, if you had been there, you would be saying the same, we are relegation certainties, put your money on it.

Really? classic examples of 'recency effect'.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:08 am

Super Gabor wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Just ask the 100 or so brave souls who witnessed the most abysmal appalling display I have EVER seen regurgetated from a set of players wearing Walsall shirts.
Worse than the 5-0 drubbing at Griffin Park that ended Merson's managerial career AM?

Yes far, far worse, an absolute disgrace to witness.....ONE ATTACK!!! in 90 minutes!!
As that Rochdale couple went on to say, "at least Swindon gave it a go on Saturday, in the end we all felt a bit sorry for 'em to lose 4-0, but your lot didn't seem to give a fig"

And no it wasn't me and the teeth scenario, all mine are my own, and I left before the final whistle.

I await some kind of reaction from the board this morning, but, at usual, we will probably get zilch.

And I'm sorry paulus68 what a load of bull, I've been watching crud from Walsall for 55+ years, so it takes a REALLY poor display, to invoke such a reaction. Just ask ANYONE who was there last night.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season