Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H)- 19.11.16- League One.

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Re: Gillingham (H)- 19.11.16- League One.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:12 pm

Another transitional performance.
Jackson seems to have transitioned into a striker with zero goal threat and no understanding of the offside rule.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:22 pm

there was only 1 bloke that cost us a win today and that is the manager

poor tactics is what will drag us into the relegation mix

today it was evident that we needed subs on middle of 2nd half as we couldn't break let me say a very poor out of form Gillingham side who were there for the taking.

what do we do concede a free kick concede a goal and then make the subs
not good enough not good enough at all
we should have won this today and we ended up losing against as bad as team as ive seen all season.

not enjoying this football club at moment and I don't think I want to watch 1 up front at home anymore.

those 1000 kids that turned up today wont be in any hurry to come back after watching that never mind us loyal fans.

sort it out and if youre not going to play makris then sell him or send him back because this is becoming a joke

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:25 pm

This week we didn't really deserve to win. Last week we did.

The subs situation was awful. IMO anyone brought on prior to 70 mins has a good chance to make an impact, anyone after you've really limited their chance of making an impact.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:32 pm

Gripper wrote:This week we didn't really deserve to win. Last week we did.

The subs situation was awful. IMO anyone brought on prior to 70 mins has a good chance to make an impact, anyone after you've really limited their chance of making an impact.

Particularly baffling putting Cuvelier on at that point, whose main impact would have been to put St Johns Ambulance on full alert.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:37 pm

I was prepared to give Whitney time but I'm losing patience now with his sh*t team selections, tactics and decision making.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Haven't posted for a while but after another disappointing performance, frustration has got the better of me

At MK last week we simply let them take the point and deny us a win our percentage possession should have allowed - really frustrating

But today was much worse - I thought the Gills were a very poor team and there for the taking - poor display from too many today and now for the source of my irritation - what a poor manager we have!!!

I've been supportive up to now but frankly the guy has such little tactical nouse it's becoming scary... he simply doesn't play the subs to suit the match.... again today nothing until 85 minutes and we've just gone 1-2 down... clueless

Playing a lone striker doesn't work too effectively against lots of teams and it was eveident again today.. when is the management gonna wake up and smell the coffee

We might not have lost too many in the last dozen or games but we haven't won many either.... simply can't believe one the divisions worst teams beat us at home

Not impressed and yet again (how often does it happen) the club get 1000 kids and families in for a game and we simply play cack and let everyone down.. I doubt many will be converted based on that rubbish today

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:41 pm

We were really unlucky to lose that. By far and away the better team especially in the second half.

Centre of defence still doesn't inspire confidence and Moussa needs to create more.

We have some right annoying fans.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:52 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:We were really unlucky to lose that. By far and away the better team especially in the second half.

Centre of defence still doesn't inspire confidence and Moussa needs to create more.

You're kidding yourself if you think we were "unlucky".

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Not sure what some were watching calling that performance terrible or much worse than MK.

2 goal line clearances against us and restricted Gillingham to break away chances after their quick start.

Poor game from Ozzy but I think he is due.

Only thing I was dissapointed in was managers selection/substitutions. Way too reactionary. He's not the man for the job and I love the guy, think he has served the club brilliantly.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:06 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:We were really unlucky to lose that. By far and away the better team especially in the second half.

They had a free kick that hit their centre halve on the arse and went in from their only dangerous attack of the half, i'd say that's pretty lucky. :lol:

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:19 pm

It's time to get rid of Whitney - we're going nowhere fast with him in charge. The squad has too many deficiencies: central defence is not tight enough, we don't have enough quality in midfield, we've signed players like Moussa and Osborne who just want to pick up a good wage without putting in much effort, Jackson can't play as a lone striker and doesn't score enough goals, and Cuvelier is a crock....and Makris is a waste of 300 grand. We need at least 3 players in January: a commanding centre-half, a creative midfielder and a goal scorer - why don't we look at guy from Brackley who can't stop scoring? It's turning into a cr@p season with nothing to look forward to.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:22 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:

They had a free kick that hit their centre halve on the arse and went in from their only dangerous attack of the half, i'd say that's pretty lucky. :lol:

You are right to an extent but scratch off that goal and the end result is a draw against a poor team on a dreadful run of form.

Centre midfield doesn't inspire much confidence or inspiration either.

What really concerns is all season we have had a coaching team with 2 ex defenders. Yet week in week out we fail to stop crosses and back off until we are practically on our own goal line. If you are the away team you can attack us down the wings and have a free cross or attack down the middle and watch us part like the Red Sea!

Whitney talked about chances in his interview, were these the countless shots off target. I think we have scored 21 goals in 17 games. We can't defend so we will either draw a lot or lose a lot.

I'm getting bored of going at the moment.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:24 pm

moaning saddler wrote:

Particularly baffling putting Cuvelier on at that point, whose main impact would have been to put St Johns Ambulance on full alert.[/quote]

Sentence of the season thus far :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:26 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:

You are right to an extent but scratch off that goal and the end result is a draw against a poor team on a dreadful run of form.

What really concerns is all season we have had a coaching team with 2 ex defenders. Yet week in week out we fail to stop crosses and back off until we are practically on our own goal line. If you are the away team you can attack us down the wings and have a free cross or attack down the middle and watch us part like the Red Sea!

Whitney talked about chances in his interview, were these the countless shots off target. I think we have scored 21 goals in 17 games. We can't defend so we will either draw a lot or lose a lot.

Jesus, and you were happy to sit and watch the middle 2 seasons of the Smith era? :roll:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:29 pm

saddlertd wrote:It's time to get rid of Whitney - we're going nowhere fast with him in charge. The squad has too many deficiencies: central defence is not tight enough, we don't have enough quality in midfield, we've signed players like Moussa and Osborne who just want to pick up a good wage without putting in much effort, Jackson can't play as a lone striker and doesn't score enough goals, and Cuvelier is a crock....and Makris is a waste of 300 grand. We need at least 3 players in January: a commanding centre-half, a creative midfielder and a goal scorer - why don't we look at guy from Brackley who can't stop scoring? It's turning into a cr@p season with nothing to look forward to.

JW has dug himself into a bit of a hole regarding fat Franck, I quote 'I have always wanted to manage a team with Moussa in it'

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Load of crap and for me there is currently no enjoyment watching this crop of players..

The team is currently managed by a Physio come manager and a No2 that is relatively new to coaching. It doesn't surprise meone bit that our tactics/substitutions are clueless.

End the season now I want to get off.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:43 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:

The reason they had they free kick and several other chances is because we back off to the edge of our 18 yard box rather than pressing and trying to put challenges in.
We make it harder for ourselves and make mediocre teams like Gilkingham look better than they are.

The last 10-15 minutes of the MK game was the same.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:52 pm

moaning saddler wrote:

Particularly baffling putting Cuvelier on at that point, whose main impact would have been to put St Johns Ambulance on full alert.

Post of the season :lol:

kev1972

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:02 pm

spot on mazza01

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:03 pm

IHTC. wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:

Jesus, and you were happy to sit and watch the middle 2 seasons of the Smith era? :roll:

Not sure where you get that from as I have gone over my post and can't see Smith named anywhere or a direct comparison to previous seasons?

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:04 pm

moaning saddler wrote:

That's his input for November anyway. Even on the mannequin challenge he was driving home from training...

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:05 pm

Personally I am enjoying Whitney's team's perform than the Westcarr/Sawyers seasons under Smith which, whilst we were solid, were as boring as anything. We'd dominate possession by passing it in a semi-circle around the box for 90 minutes.

kev1972

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:06 pm

1 up upfront does my head in. game there for the taking . feckin useless.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:13 pm

To those who are blaming our defeat on luck, I would say that it points were awarded based on the level of our performances over the season so far we would not have 22 points from our first 17 matches, but be well established in the relegation zone. We have been "lucky" in far too many matches this season when we have earned points that our general quality of play did not merit. Eventually the luck runs out.

For Whitney to continue to play Jackson as a lone striker week after week is infuriating. Why on earth does he not see that he cannot play that role, and that with Jackson alone up front we have a huge hole in our formation? We can only hope that Sharps has by now told Whitney to stop this madness immediately.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:14 pm

I wanted Witney to get the managers job and I think he should be given a season but he isn't showing that he is cabable of reading the game. He didn't make changes because he thought that our players looked fresh and a danger. Ask the Gillingham keeper how dangerous they were. Everyone in the ground could see it needed changing at 60 mins Jackson was chasing shadows and got nowhere near some useful balls in

What does bakayoko have to do to get a game

Who is responsible for signing makris who clearly is not in the managers plans and that money could have got a couple of quality players at this level

What has happened to Osborne him and Baka would help provide the required physicality at this level

How do we move the ball from defence to attack because we have no creativity in the middle two and so just lob long balls to Jackson and Ozzie does Witney not see this

Ozzie is starting to get marked out the game and this leaves us below average I think Ozzie has kept witney's head above water so far.

As I said give the bloke a season but I fear we could be a couple of injuries away from relegation if we can't put teams like gillingham away

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:18 pm

Look on the bright side ......................I think we've still got to play the top four away from home.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Load of crap and for me there is currently no enjoyment watching this crop of players..

The team is currently managed by a Physio come manager and a No2 that is relatively new to coaching. It doesn't surprise meone bit that our tactics/substitutions are clueless.

You got no enjoyment out of that performance? End to end, chances, 2 clearances of the line albeit in defeat. The worst type of fan is the one that only sings when you are winning.

Cool, stay away and we won't have to read your moaning every bloody week.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:22 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Load of crap and for me there is currently no enjoyment watching this crop of players..

You got no enjoyment out of that performance? End to end, chances, 2 clearances of the line albeit in defeat. The worst type of fan is the one that only sings when you are winning.

Cool, stay away and we won't have to read your moaning every bloody week.

Ha ha piss off you key board Warrior

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:38 pm

Now,now boys we are entitled to an opinion and here is mine. A thoroughly undeserved defeat especially after our second half domination. If we play as we did in the second half we will win more than we lose. Lets face it their only shot in the second half was the deflected free kick. Actually except for the Macclesfield game we are clearly improving...get in that CH we need in January and we will be fine.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:54 pm

My feelings on this team are baffling me so understand if I don't make sense but here goes

We are not that far off being a decent outfit but seem a million miles away at the moment !!

Perhaps it just a multitude of little aspects that need addressing which could make the difference . Two up front , bakayoko in proper position , defend crosses better etc hopefully the new coach can see these things a bit clearer and start addressing them. There's talent in this team and a seemingly good spirit, it just needs tweaking. Time will tell if JW is the man for it

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season