Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

MK Dons (A) League One, 12th November 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Re: MK Dons (A) League One, 12th November 3pm

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:52 pm

A meaningless result as no doubt MK Dons will be described as "the-worst-team-in-the-league" at some point on this thread. :roll:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:53 pm

oh dear 1-1 totally undeserved :|

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:01 pm

An away point then...not a bad result but a little disappointing in the end. Sounded on WM that we played well.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Listening to commentary, a draw sounds a travesty. Sadly not taking our chances.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:27 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Pathetic, embarrassing! The Physio is clueless - worst first half performance I've seen in 102 years of watching The Saddlers. The 1-0 score is merely papering over the cracks! We will be found out in the next half or if not the next game!! They just don't care whether they embarrass us long suffering supporters.

Absolute disgrace

Unfortunately it's a game of 96 minutes.
Once we had failed to kill them off with a couple of golden opportunities in the middle of the 2nd half, we seemed to totally hand MK the initiative, and were left to cling on for the rest of the game.
We lost our shape and the centre of midfield went missing.
On a positive note, Moussa had a decent game, as did Ginnelly.
Transitional I guess.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:54 pm

2 points thrown away!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:03 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:2 points thrown away!

... AGAIN!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:05 pm

Basically unlucky from the sound of it.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:13 pm

I am awaiting a report from my brother and friend before slagging off/praising the team. Unfortunately/fortunately I am on holiday :D

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:29 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:2 points thrown away!

... AGAIN!

On the evidence of so far this season we are a mid table team, who will be inconsistent, and not ruthless enough to see games out, but I don't think we'll lose that many either.

If our defence could deal with long balls/set pieces however then we'd be top 4.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:45 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:A meaningless result as no doubt MK Dons will be described as "the-worst-team-in-the-league" at some point on this thread. :roll:

Typical. Two points dropped against the worst team in the league

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:45 pm

chunkster wrote:oh dear 1-1 totally undeserved :|

Franchise did have a lot of shots second half....hit the post, had one cleared off the line (although that might've been same move) and Etheridge in amongst his mad dashes out of goal also tipped one round the post.

That said Ozzy for once didn't show enough composure and missed two very good chances in the 2nd which would've finished the game...he can't win games every week.

Thought it was a good solid away performance....a shame 3 points couldn't be secured but that's football.

I think a reason for the upturn in away form has been Edwards playing central...he is very energetic and covered a hell of a lot of ground today. Dosen't really work at home but does fine away.

Was also impressed with Ginnelly. First time I've seen him properly, fantastic cross for the goal and I thought he linked up well with McCarthy all game.

Little in this league...yes 14th isn't amazing but only 3 points off top 6. There's about 4 good teams in this league...Franchise are certainly not one of them this season.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:46 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Pathetic, embarrassing! The Physio is clueless - worst first half performance I've seen in 102 years of watching The Saddlers. The 1-0 score is merely papering over the cracks! We will be found out in the next half or if not the next game!! They just don't care whether they embarrass us long suffering supporters.

Absolute disgrace

Don't despair it will be another 4 months before you watch us again and have another chance to slate the team.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:42 pm

Fish wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:A meaningless result as no doubt MK Dons will be described as "the-worst-team-in-the-league" at some point on this thread. :roll:

Typical. Two points dropped against the worst team in the league

:wink:

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:20 am

The goals on Channel 5

https://youtu.be/MiQ0p2W1AKQ

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:52 am

This is starting to have echoes of seasons under Hutchings and Mullen.
However, Whitney and his team may improve.
Those other duffers would never improve.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:20 am

leics_saddler wrote:This is starting to have echoes of seasons under Hutchings and Mullen.
However, Whitney and his team may improve.
Those other duffers would never improve.

This is nowhere near as bad, 2 defeats in 11? 5 unbeaten from home and a decent home record which has been our achilles heel in the past.

Yes Whitney is tactically inept at times BUT it's his first job in management and if he does learn as we hope then the signs are promising, especially if he gets an experienced right hand man in.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:16 am

IHTC. wrote:

Absolute disgrace

Don't despair it will be another 4 months before you watch us again and have another chance to slate the team.

whooooosssssee

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:08 pm

Guest wrote:The goals on Channel 5

Very poor attempted defensive header before their goal. Who was that?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:18 pm

hullsaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:The goals on Channel 5

Very poor attempted defensive header before their goal. Who was that?

Toner

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:44 pm

I'm disappointed with conceding the late goal, but comparing Whitney to either Mullen or Hutchings is simply ridiculous at the moment. Although there have been times when the 'wheels have come off' (Bury, Scunthorpe and the Macc Lads in the cup in particular), a 6 match unbeaten league run suggests we are on the right track. Of course there remain problems with personnel, tactics and use of substitutions, but the overall improvement in recent weeks has been promising.

I'd have been content with a 12th place finish, so 14th and only one win away from the Play offs is a decent position to be in IMO.

UTS

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:58 pm

windowman wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

Absolute disgrace

whooooosssssee

I risked one just to have a go and happy to take it

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:34 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I'm disappointed with conceding the late goal, but comparing Whitney to either Mullen or Hutchings is simply ridiculous at the moment. Although there have been times when the 'wheels have come off' (Bury, Scunthorpe and the Macc Lads in the cup in particular), a 6 match unbeaten league run suggests we are on the right track. Of course there remain problems with personnel, tactics and use of substitutions, but the overall improvement in recent weeks has been promising.

I'd have been content with a 12th place finish, so 14th and only one win away from the Play offs is a decent position to be in IMO.

UTS

Why would anyone be content with a midtable finish? Little old Walsall cannot be expected to finish any higher I suppose, so the fans should be ready to accept mediocrity. If that is the case then why do we bother?

I am not in favour of sacking Whitney at this point but did either Mullen or Hutchings every make such a glaring error as playing Simeon Jackson as a lone striker week after week, when it was obvious before the first match that he is unsuited to that role?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:45 pm

Harry wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:I'm disappointed with conceding the late goal, but comparing Whitney to either Mullen or Hutchings is simply ridiculous at the moment. Although there have been times when the 'wheels have come off' (Bury, Scunthorpe and the Macc Lads in the cup in particular), a 6 match unbeaten league run suggests we are on the right track. Of course there remain problems with personnel, tactics and use of substitutions, but the overall improvement in recent weeks has been promising.

UTS

Why would anyone be content with a midtable finish? Little old Walsall cannot be expected to finish any higher I suppose, so the fans should be ready to accept mediocrity. If that is the case then why do we bother?

I would be content because it is a season of transition. I would be content because we have a manager who is new in his job. I would be content because I think the division is stronger this year than last year. I would be content because of the significant turnover in playing staff in pre-season.

I never accept mediocrity, but sometimes we as supporters have to be patient. If we go on to achieve better than I will be pleased. Conversely, if we go on to battle relegation I will be frustrated, particularly as this group of players are more than good enough to hold their own.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:16 pm

A point away is always welcome but we should have won this, for most of the game we seemed to be in control but had no idea how to take that matter.

In the second half we had 4 good scoring chances which would have killed the game off but did not take any.

Last 10 mins we looked like we decided to hang on defending deeper which with our defence is not a good idea.A the equaliser by MK only one team was going to win it(not us) so after being best team for most of game we wer lucky to hang on.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:13 pm

Harry wrote:

UTS

I am not in favour of sacking Whitney at this point but did either Mullen or Hutchings every make such a glaring error as playing Simeon Jackson as a lone striker week after week, when it was obvious before the first match that he is unsuited to that role?

I agree Jackson isn't great as a lone striker but he's still scored a few goals this season...he can also hold it up reasonably well.

When Baka came on for the last 20 mins yesterday he couldn't hold it up at all so ball was constantly coming back when a bit of possession and winning some cheap free kicks were needed so he still has to learn the game in that respect.

Toner was badly at fault for the goal, a shame as he played well otherwise. Whitney still had a sub left so I'd have got J O'C on with 5 minutes left and had another CB in there.

"Why would anyone be content with a midtable finish?" Because sorry to be the bearer of reality but that's where Walsall generally finish....

How many times in the past 20 odd years have Walsall challenged for promotion from the third tier....last season, 98/99 and 00/01....maybe 07/08 although that fizzled out by March.

Mid table is generally where Walsall finish.

I am still enjoying this season. Indeed it's not like the team is marooned in mid table with nothing to play for...win an admittedly difficult game in hand and the team are level on points with Vale and 1 behind Posh.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:30 pm

I thought it was a great game yesterday. Very entertaining. Interesting to see Adam Chambers winning the ball back so high up the pitch. Hope to see more of that.

Though McCarthy had a good game too.

Good turnout from the Saddlers as well.

UTS

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:54 am

Andy_Petterson wrote:I thought it was a great game yesterday. Very entertaining. Interesting to see Adam Chambers winning the ball back so high up the pitch. Hope to see more of that.

Though McCarthy had a good game too.

Good turnout from the Saddlers as well.

UTS

Well said, was a good game. Just knew as soon as Oz missed his chances MK would score. Gutting but it's what we deserved, I'd imagine Whitney was fuming - we were solid up until then!

Paul Downing had an absolute stinker - can't help but think that's how he's played all season after a Twitter search.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:48 pm

I couldn't understand the vitriol Downing got....but you could see he went to pot mentality when it started second half and couldn't wait to get off the pitch with an apparent injury. Poor thing. :lol:

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:26 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:I couldn't understand the vitriol Downing got....but you could see he went to pot mentality when it started second half and couldn't wait to get off the pitch with an apparent injury. Poor thing. :lol:

Bullied off the pitch from the stands. #HeadsGone.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season