Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leicester City U-21 (A) Checkatrade Trophy Tues 8 Nov 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Leicester City U-21 (A) Checkatrade Trophy Tues 8 Nov 7.45pm

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:30 pm

Following our dismal elimination from one Cup competition we turn to the other one, where we have already qualified for the 2nd round stage where it changes to that of a knock-out basis. This game at Leicester is largely meaningless, as both teams have qualified at the expense of Sheffield United and Grimsby Town, so there is the potential for Jon Whitney to experiment with his line-up (and after the Macclesfield Town showing there is probably some justification for experimentation).

We are top of the qualifying group going into this game, as Leicester City could only manage a draw at Bramall Lane, winning by virtue of a 5-4 penalty shoot-out. Therefore a draw will still see us top of the Group H pile with possibly an easier opponent for the 2nd round, where the top-finishing clubs are drawn against those who finished as runners-up - at this stage it is still "Regionalised", and only in the 3rd round does it become a truly "free" draw.

I have no inside information on the strength of the opposition for this one, but suffice it to say that they've only managed to score one goal in open play in their two games to date - so that, coupled with our current form, points to a 0-0 result.......

Let's see who we get in the 2nd round (but it probably won't be as attractive as whoever Macclesfield Town get, should they reach the 3rd round of the "proper" cup!!) :evil:

UTS :D

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Re: Leicester City U-21 (A) Checkatrade Trophy Tues 8 Nov 7.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Move along.... nothing to see here :o

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Move along.... nothing to see here :o

:lol:

addo
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Good to see that the Foxes are embracing the idea behind the competition this season , & grabbing the opportunity to give their youngsters some experience & bring through their " young England players of the future" by drafting into the squad a 28 year old goalkeeper, a 30 year old Argentinian , a 29 year old Frenchman & a 36 year old Pole . :)

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Completely forgot about this fixture.

One to play "guess the attendance?".

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:05 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Completely forgot about this fixture.

One to play "guess the attendance?".

If it was at the Bescot less than 1K? Can't speak for the more desperate of fox supporters, hoping to see a team in their colours win for a change! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:37 pm

I would probably have gone to this one purely as it's being played at the king power and the kids wanted to see us there.
Sadly after being one of the 1800 home fans that witnessed saturdays pathetic effort we won't be there tonight.
If our players and management cannot be bothered with cup competitions than neither can I.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Starting line-up against Leicester City:

MacGillivray

Toner
McCarthy
Preston
Cockerill-Mollett

Dobson
Osbourne

Ginnelly
Bakayoko
Moussa
Kinsella

Substitutes: Etheridge, Laird, Oztumer, Jackson, Sangha, Roberts, Shorrock

We're winning 2-0 in the substitutes department, as Leicester have only named 5...... :?

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:48 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Starting line-up against Leicester City:

MacGillivray

Toner
McCarthy
Preston
Cockerill-Mollett

Dobson
Osbourne

Ginnelly
Bakayoko
Moussa
Kinsella

great subs bench :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:51 pm

MK Dons (we play them on Saturday) are 2-0 down at Norwich, at half-time.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:53 pm

m&m wrote:I would probably have gone to this one purely as it's being played at the king power and the kids wanted to see us there.
Sadly after being one of the 1800 home fans that witnessed saturdays pathetic effort we won't be there tonight.
If our players and management cannot be bothered with cup competitions than neither can I.

Wow! Just shows eh! A lack of effort and/or commitment by the team/management will lose support on the terraces....I hope the players will read this post, copy and paste on to the wall of the changing room! And, furthermore, I ask this question.............
"You the players are a lucky elite who have the great satisfaction of making a living out of playing football, the rest of us have to work like stink to earn a fraction of what you do. show some passion, show some pride." Enough said methinks. On to the Mickey Mouse Cup...........
Do we have to play the Blades? If so we can probably kiss goodbye to proceeding any further! :lol: :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:55 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
m&m wrote:I would probably have gone to this one purely as it's being played at the king power and the kids wanted to see us there.

Wow! Just shows eh! A lack of effort and/or commitment by the team/management will lose support on the terraces....I hope the players will read this post, copy and paste on to the wall of the changing room! And, furthermore, I ask this question.............
"You the players are a lucky elite who have the great satisfaction of making a living out of playing football, the rest of us have to work like stink to earn a fraction of what you do. show some passion, show some pride." Enough said methinks. On to the Mickey Mouse Cup...........
Do we have to play the Blades? If so we can probably kiss goodbye to proceeding any further! :lol: :lol:

Played them, beat them 1-2 away, effectively dumped them out of the competition. In this 1st round each team only plays the other teams once. :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:56 pm

chunkster wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Starting line-up against Leicester City:

MacGillivray

Toner
McCarthy
Preston
Cockerill-Mollett

Dobson
Osbourne

Ginnelly
Bakayoko
Moussa
Kinsella

great subs bench :lol:

Takes ya back to Fellows Park days when you would actually witness a team of reserves play a match, obviously Whit's does not rate this competition at all, now watch Baky score 3 or 4!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Kinsella playing in the ozzy role tonight, making it up as he goes along. And I thought Merson was sacked.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Played them, beat them 1-2 away, effectively dumped them out of the competition. In this 1st round each team only plays the other teams once. :D

Ta, we were obviously not Leyton Orient in disguise then! :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:59 pm

IHTC. wrote:Kinsella playing in the ozzy role tonight, making it up as he goes along. And I thought Merson was sacked.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Years since I've laughed so much, thanks for that gem.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:01 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Oh dear, next you'll be forgetting to moan and then where will we be?

Oh, we'll be ok as there are heaps of other moaners on here....

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:02 pm

And who the hell is Cokerill-Mullet? have I missed something? :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:03 pm

Whitters wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Oh dear, next you'll be forgetting to moan and then where will we be?

Oh, we'll be ok as there are heaps of other moaners on here....

Moaning Saddler can run rings round me!! :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:06 pm

16 minutes and we've just hit the woodwork (theirs!)

Just cashed out of the "less than 2.5 goals" market with a 14.8% profit...... :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:20 pm

AM...Cockerill -Mollett is a very promising left back,captain of the Youth team and a player who we gave a professional contract to at the beginning of this season. Just the sort of game to give him experience.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:03 pm

57 minutes, and we take the lead!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Amadou Bakayoko - n.b. he's a striker, not a winger.......

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Walsallone wrote:AM...Cockerill -Mollett is a very promising left back,captain of the Youth team and a player who we gave a professional contract to at the beginning of this season. Just the sort of game to give him experience.

Ta, will have to get a programme at the next home match!

Great news from Welsh, we have scored!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:21 pm

75 minutes, and we have our 6th corner.......

.... closely followed by our 7th....

77 minutes, and both sides bring on a sub - Sangha on for Bakayoko

81 minutes - Walsall "goal" disallowed :?

83 min - a shot from Ginelly hits the bar

89 min - Walsall sub seens Shorrock coming on for Ginelly

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:38 pm

0-1 at full time ... well done the reserves :D :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:48 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:0-1 at full time ... well done the reserves :D :D

Does this mean we are in the 'knocked out in the next round stage' yet? :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:49 pm

can we put the reserves out on saturday please :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:53 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Does this mean we are in the 'knocked out in the next round stage' yet? :mrgreen:

Certainly does, and so far our opponents may well be from Blackpool, Chesterfield or Cambridge. (Some games still to play)

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:54 pm

how do i post a pic on here please

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:58 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Certainly does, and so far our opponents may well be from Blackpool, Chesterfield or Cambridge. (Some games still to play)

Home game as well being as we won the group!!!

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season