Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (H) League One, 29th October 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Coventry City (H) League One, 29th October 3pm

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:04 am

....and it's a new page!

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:09 am

Fish wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:We were awful first 60 minutes, Cov really pressed us well and did a job on us and got their deserved goal. Second half we started poorly but grew into it with a lovely finish from Oztumer again. We then could of (and should of) won it with Kinsella's injury time chance.

Ref seemed to have had a flutter on Cov as well, he was very poor.

I'd say a 1 all draw was fair.

Stick for Makris is harsh for me, he had zero service all game and isn't tall enough to win the high balls that our centre halves kept playing to him.

Awful afternoon.

Dreadful performance, particularly in a first half devoid of any football, any thought, any drive or any creativity. We were a poor shadow of the team we had last year.

Good call regarding Makris. Not a single decent ball into him all afternoon. It has to be hugely frustrating for him with defenders and midfielders constantly hoofing balls over his head. Sadly Whitney seemed incapable of changing the shape of things

Coventry were poor too. We didn't though have the pace, energy, skill or intelligence to exploit them.

And the referee was even worse! We kicked off 5 minutes late for some reason, I assume that it must have been us who were responsible - from his decisions it looks like we must have pee-ed him off. That said best not to dwell on that. We were poor.

I have to agree with this statement.
Its all well and good the run we are going on. How we are putting it together in the way we are playing god only knows.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:03 am

I enjoyed Saturday, games against Cov (at home) have been decent games of football of late, if not always pleasing from a Saddlers only perspective.

Cov have become a decent young team, that have a load of potential to improve. Which I think is what we nearly are at the minute.

Didn't quite understand how we weren't closer to the wingers, particularly in the first-half down our left. All the danger seemed to stem from that area of the field.

Thought Chambers was back to getting an important foot in, though his passing in the 2nd half would have me taking back his crate of Banks'.

Really missed Jackson or Baka, as Makris really isn't a lone striker yet. Didn't relieve any pressure.

Toner's left footedness must be keeping him in the team at the minute, and what's with Whitney's final substitution often being Kinsella? He's quite literally the last outfield sub I'd have switched the injured Morris for. I'd have gone for either of Osbourne or Preston to defend or nick a goal from a set-piece at the end. Mind, Kinsella should have won it for us, so perhaps I'll stop typing now.......

PT
Site Addict

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:04 am

Micky Saddler wrote:Its all well and good the run we are going on. How we are putting it together in the way we are playing god only knows.

The standard is pretty poor. Any side that is merely competent in the most part with three or four very good players will do well. We have a very good keeper (though I felt he could have done better with their goal on Saturday) and a very good number 10. If Chambers is back to his old self then we have a very good defensive midfielder too. That probably leaves us only a centre half and/or centre forward from having an ace spine and as long as everyone else is no worse than OK then we could have a pretty decent season.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:05 am

Barren Flak wrote:Didn't quite understand how we weren't closer to the wingers, particularly in the first-half down our left. All the danger seemed to stem from that area of the field.

The mystery of why Laird was Scunthorpe's third choice left back has finally been solved. He does not have the faintest idea of how to defend against a half decent winger.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:57 pm

Harry wrote:
Barren Flak wrote:Didn't quite understand how we weren't closer to the wingers, particularly in the first-half down our left. All the danger seemed to stem from that area of the field.

The mystery of why Laird was Scunthorpe's third choice left back has finally been solved. He does not have the faintest idea of how to defend against a half decent winger.

What a load of absolute rubbish

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:58 pm

Harry wrote:

I agree he was at fault for the cross for the gillingham goal the other week and he let the cross come in again Saturday. I think we should have tried to keep Taylor for another year

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:24 pm

PT wrote:
Micky Saddler wrote:Its all well and good the run we are going on. How we are putting it together in the way we are playing god only knows.

The standard is pretty poor. Any side that is merely competent in the most part with three or four very good players will do well. We have a very good keeper (though I felt he could have done better with their goal on Saturday) and a very good number 10. If Chambers is back to his old self then we have a very good defensive midfielder too. That probably leaves us only a centre half and/or centre forward from having an ace spine and as long as everyone else is no worse than OK then we could have a pretty decent season.

Agree with that. It's also completely irrelevant 'how' we put together an unbeaten run for anyone other than the people who can't wait to see Whitney fail.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:31 pm

Cowshed wrote:
Harry wrote:

I agree he was at fault for the cross for the gillingham goal the other week and he let the cross come in again Saturday. I think we should have tried to keep Taylor for another year

Odd comment, since it was actually Toner who was beaten all ends up for the cross for the Gillingham goal.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:53 pm

moaning saddler wrote:
Cowshed wrote:
Harry wrote:

Odd comment, since it was actually Toner who was beaten all ends up for the cross for the Gillingham goal.

Was it really I didn't realise and we were there as well

Didn't expect the centre half to be pulled out wide without cover from fullback

Off to spec savers for me

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:50 pm

More extensive highlights of the game here...including those penalty decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVBOJcjaytY

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Fish wrote:More extensive highlights of the game here...including those penalty decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVBOJcjaytY

Looking at that I don't think either of them are pens. Etheridge looked like he got some part of the ball and our shout was a clear a tackle as you will see. He hit him hard but last time I checked this was a contact sport. He got the ball.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:53 pm

PT wrote:

I know people don't like anyone harping on about last years team. but just think what we could have done this season if we still had a few of those players still here :|

PT
Site Addict

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:07 pm

chunkster wrote:
PT wrote:

I know people don't like anyone harping on about last years team. but just think what we could have done this season if we still had a few of those players still here :|

Realistically though there would only be one or two we could have kept without either having them moping about cos they felt ball n chained to us (Bradshaw/Rico) or having to pay them silly money compared to their ability (Mantom, Downing, Milan). Sawyers was always going. The two I think might have considered staying and been worth more of a punt would have been Forde and Demetriou. Split Flo's wage by way of an increase to those two and we'd be a better side.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Forde's barely played for Rotherham lately.

I wonder if he could be a loan target for January if Whitney goes down the previous managers route of trying to loan back half the team that left the previous summer. :lol:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:13 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Forde's barely played for Rotherham lately.

I wonder if he could be a loan target for January if Whitney goes down the previous managers route of trying to loan back half the team that left the previous summer. :lol:

SoccerHQ do us a favour. fudge off to Villa forums.

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season