Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (H) League One, 29th October 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Coventry City (H) League One, 29th October 3pm

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:26 am

If this game had been scheduled for earlier in the season we would have been very confident of a win - Coventry City were 3 points clear at the bottom of the table (24th September) and it took them 11 games to register a first League One victory. However, since Tony Mowbray saw the light and stepped down there has been a significant improvement in the Sky Blues' performance, to the extent that (just like us) they've won 3 out of their last 4 League One games. Caretaker boss Mark Venus is in charge at least until January while the club takes its time in deciding on a successor - any number of names in the frame for this one - this is not even the main uncertainty surrounding Coventry, as their landlords (Wasps R.U. club) have pulled out of talks to extend the Sky Blues' lease of the Ricoh Arena so from 2018/19 it might be a repeat of home matches being played at Northampton. If that wasn't enough their training ground is also under threat, having been earmarked by the Council for a housing development (and we thought WE had problems......)!

Recent League One form for City:

24 Sep Gillingham (A) Lost 2-1
28 Sep AFC Wimbledon (H) Drew 2-2
1 Oct Port Vale (A) Won 0-2
15 Oct Charlton Athletic (A) Lost 3-0
18 Oct Oxford United (H) Won 2-1
22 Oct Rochdale (H) Won 2-0

The game at The Valley a couple of weeks ago was notable for the introduction of plastic pigs......both sets of supporters are dissatisfied and frustrated at the way their respective clubs are being run, and supporters joined forces in an organised show of strength of feeling, lobbing hundreds of squishy plastic pigs on to the pitch shortly after kick-off. Will the same thing happen on Saturday, and if so, will our stewards be able to cope?

Back to the football ... Marvin Sordell is City's leading scorer with 4 goals to his name and it should be noted that even though Coventry City are still in the bottom four, they have still conceded 4 goals fewer than we have, so their defence may not be as leaky as their League One position suggests.

Jon Whitney could have the luxury of an almost-complete squad from which to make his selection, but this may well be a bit of a headache in itself as we have taken 10 points out of the last 12, and received wisdom is that you don't change a winning side. Erhun Oztumer's performances have probably made his name the first on the teamsheet, and for a player who is nominally a midfielder/winger he's our leading League One scorer with 7. His recent interview with BBC local radio contained this positive quote:- "We're getting used to each other now. It's just gelling - we know what players are going to do now." There have been significant improvements from other players too and Amadou Bakayoko could be forgiven for feeling the tiniest bit cheesed off if he warms the bench because Simeon Jackson is fully fit. Still, that's the way it goes......

Prediction? As stated, a month ago it could well have been 5-0, but I still think we have enough shots in our locker to win this one, say 2-1 with goals from Oztumer (naturally!) and Makris (it's got to happen some time!).

UTS :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Re: Coventry City (H) League One, 29th October 3pm

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:34 am

Cheers Welshie. :D

Saturday feels a lot closer now.

I note that Jackson had a season at Coventry managing to score 3 times.

I hope he manages 3 on Saturday, for us obviously. :mrgreen:

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:59 am

WFC 2 Coventry 1 :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:09 am

Sound_out wrote:WFC 2 Coventry 1 :D

In your dreams.... :lol: :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:18 pm

As i have posted on the prediction thread a 3-0 to the super saddlers with ozy getting 2 and either baka or jackson to get the other depending on who starts. oh and makris to win the crossbar challenge again :wink:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:48 am

2-1 to Coventry

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:58 am

Coventry at home was one of our best performances last season, and I think the 2-1 scoreline (hope my powers are recall are better on this match thread :lol: ) absolutely flattered Coventry. They tried to match our passing game last term, and if they make that mistake again they could again be in for a tough time. Narrow win for the Saddlers, and about time for a decent headed goal? For us I mean.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Always a entertaining game vs the sky blues even though they've won the last 2 I won't let that cloud my judgement Coventry are a mess of a football club and are a poor team we are a better side in every department,
2-0 Walsall win, Att:7,050 1,700 cov fan's.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:18 pm

Properly looking forward to a match for the first time this season. Should be a decent atmos and we do seem to be hitting form.
Given the above, we're bound to lose horribly. 3-1 to Cov with Laird getting our consolation. :(

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:48 pm

otiswfc wrote:Always a entertaining game vs the sky blues even though they've won the last 2 I won't let that cloud my judgement Coventry are a mess of a football club and are a poor team we are a better side in every department,

We beat them 2-1 last season?

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:51 pm

scott_powell wrote:
otiswfc wrote:Always a entertaining game vs the sky blues even though they've won the last 2 I won't let that cloud my judgement Coventry are a mess of a football club and are a poor team we are a better side in every department,

I know I was there, I meant Coventry have won their last 2 games.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:54 pm

otiswfc wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

I know I was there, I meant Coventry have won their last 2 games.

Assumed you meant the last teo against us, apologies

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:34 pm

Very hard to predict any game this season , we have had the lows of Northampton and Scunthorpe mixed with the highs of Bolton and Swindon, which team will turn up against Coventry.
WE have put run together and Coventry started to win so go for 1-1.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:03 pm

Just seen Chambers referred to as a "thug" on their forum :lol:

Usually decent games, so I'll go for a 2-1 win.

Gripper
Glitterati

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:01 am

One of my favourite games last season was when we beat them at our place when about 3000 of them were singing about being top of the league, then they had a nosebleed half way through the season. The atmosphere at their place was great too under SOD.

Would be happy with a draw.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:37 am

18 - (1)
Makris to get his hat-trick;
Bakayoko and Jackson to get a brace.
Whitney to come on five minutes into extra time to nod one past Burge to show Towner how it's done and the Ref. Fisting (in a footballing sense) one in in the last second just to get in on the act.

Coventry deducted a goal for having cack owners and Phil the saddler exclaims that we don't shoot enough in his post match commentary.

Huzzzza! :D

God, I'm in a good mood this morning.*

Watch some barsteward come along and spoil it. :D :( .

P.S. In the interests of FairPlay, Whitney has agreed to play Ozzie only if he has his laces tied together.

That is all.

*Still having a great day! :D
Last edited by Leatherman on Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:58 am

I'm looking forward to this one :) . I reckon it will be a hard fought 1-1 draw, with Bakayoko scoring for us.

Ticket sales seem to be going well so it should be 6,500-7,000.

TownSwift

Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:15 am

I have a confident feeling about this one. I'm plucking out previous good results against Cov from the old grey matter in a rather optimistic way I suppose. I saw them get tonked by Norwich a while back, and they looked poor. I know they've improved, but so have we...2-1.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:21 am

Coventry to take defeat badly and launch leftover pigs in a tribute to Macclesfield.
Uncle Jeff to claim it as offensive to Islam, which he has now adopted.
He says if he's coming to Walsall so often it makes sense and he doesn't charge interest on loans either.

[standard disclaimer]

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:54 am

leics_saddler wrote:Coventry to take defeat badly and launch leftover pigs in a tribute to Macclesfield.
He says if he's coming to Walsall so often it makes sense and he doesn't charge interest on loans either.

[standard disclaimer]

I think Islam requires that you give away a proportion of you wealth,this in itself would rule Jeff out of joining.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:30 pm

leics_saddler wrote:Coventry to take defeat badly and launch leftover pigs in a tribute to Macclesfield.

[standard disclaimer]

Uncle Jeff will be collecting said pigs and turning them into more profit via the red and black plastic bags served up at your nearest refreshment centre.

And jolly good they are two.

Had six packets last time out. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

P.S. I didn't eat them all in one go! They have lasted a fortnight with one bag left. :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:31 pm

Leatherman wrote:18 - (1)
Whitney to come on five minutes into extra time to nod one past Burge to show Towner how it's done and the Ref. Fisting (in a footballing sense) one in in the last second just to get in on the act.

Coventry deducted a goal for having cack owners and Phil the saddler exclaims that we don't shoot enough in his post match commentary.

P.S. In the interests of FairPlay, Whitney has agreed to play Ozzie only if he has his laces tied together.

That is all.

:lol: great post leather :wink: i am in a good mood tonight, been on jury service all week and after 3 days i was looking for a rope and a stool :| but i managed to be involved in a good result today i got quite emotional :cry:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:35 am

chunkster wrote:

That is all.

:lol: great post leather :wink: i am in a good mood tonight, been on jury service all week and after 3 days i was looking for a rope and a stool :| but i managed to be involved in a good result today i got quite emotional :cry:

Did you 'let them off' because it was close to Bonfire Night? :wink:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Bakayoko not in the starting lineup or in the bench!
Injured?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:33 pm

Starting line-up against Coventry City:

Etheridge

McCarthy
O'Connor
Toner
Laird

Edwards
Chambers

Moussa
Oztumer

Morris
Makris

Substitutes: MacGillivray, Dobson, Jackson, Osbourne, Kinsella, Preston, Ginnelly

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Leatherman wrote:
chunkster wrote:

That is all.

Did you 'let them off' because it was close to Bonfire Night? :wink:
:lol: i have never been so serious for as long as that in my life :lol: . bad news that baka isn't either playing or sub? reading the E&S last night it said they were all fit except for flo?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Before we've even kicked off we've dropped a place in the table - Oxford Utd 1 Millwall 2 :roll:

Very early goal dahn saarth.. AFC Wimbledon 0 Bradford City 1 (2 min) Scorer Jordy Hiwula-Mayifuila !!!

Walsall yellow card in the 2nd minute - Joe Edwards :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Sheffield Utd 1 M K Dongs 0 (4 min)

Bolton Wanderers 3 Port Vale 0 (17 min) :shock:

Scunthorpe Utd 2 Swindon Town 0 (19 min)

Fleetwood Town 1 Gillingham 0 (18 min)

Equaliser at Wimbledon v Bradford City - now 1-1

Southend Utd 0 Sloppies 1 (24 min)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Here we go.... Walsall 0 Coventry City 1 (36 min) :( :( :( :(

Northampton Town 1 Bury 0

Southend Utd 1 Sloppies 1

Rochdale 1 Oldham Athletic 0

SoccerHQ