Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (H) League One, 29th October 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Coventry City (H) League One, 29th October 3pm

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:36 pm

And yet the team is top half and 3 points off the play offs with a game in hand.

Oh and it beat a team currently in auto promotion with 10 men for 75 minutes. :lol:

I'd suggest if you're all so miserable to write to the FA in Soho and get them to cancel league one this season.

I'm quite enjoying this season tbh. Won't have the highs or lows of last season but plenty of goals, talking points and exciting games already. I think in last seasons "success" people are forgetting how many dull games there actually were at Bescot.

I suppose the man crush on Oztumer contributes aswell. :oops:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Fish wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:We were awful first 60 minutes, Cov really pressed us well and did a job on us and got their deserved goal. Second half we started poorly but grew into it with a lovely finish from Oztumer again. We then could of (and should of) won it with Kinsella's injury time chance.

Ref seemed to have had a flutter on Cov as well, he was very poor.

I'd say a 1 all draw was fair.

Stick for Makris is harsh for me, he had zero service all game and isn't tall enough to win the high balls that our centre halves kept playing to him.

Awful afternoon.

Dreadful performance, particularly in a first half devoid of any football, any thought, any drive or any creativity. We were a poor shadow of the team we had last year.

Good call regarding Makris. Not a single decent ball into him all afternoon. It has to be hugely frustrating for him with defenders and midfielders constantly hoofing balls over his head. Sadly Whitney seemed incapable of changing the shape of things

Coventry were poor too. We didn't though have the pace, energy, skill or intelligence to exploit them.

And the referee was even worse! We kicked off 5 minutes late for some reason, I assume that it must have been us who were responsible - from his decisions it looks like we must have pee-ed him off. That said best not to dwell on that. We were poor.

Why dont you try sitting in the Coventry end; lucky to still have a club to support and a future less rosy than a turkey in a Bernard Matthews Factory approaching Christmas.

Then come back on here and reassess what you consider to be an 'awful afternoon' :roll:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:51 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Fish wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:We were awful first 60 minutes, Cov really pressed us well and did a job on us and got their deserved goal. Second half we started poorly but grew into it with a lovely finish from Oztumer again. We then could of (and should of) won it with Kinsella's injury time chance.

Stick for Makris is harsh for me, he had zero service all game and isn't tall enough to win the high balls that our centre halves kept playing to him.

Awful afternoon.

Dreadful performance, particularly in a first half devoid of any football, any thought, any drive or any creativity. We were a poor shadow of the team we had last year.

Good call regarding Makris. Not a single decent ball into him all afternoon. It has to be hugely frustrating for him with defenders and midfielders constantly hoofing balls over his head. Sadly Whitney seemed incapable of changing the shape of things

Coventry were poor too. We didn't though have the pace, energy, skill or intelligence to exploit them.

And the referee was even worse! We kicked off 5 minutes late for some reason, I assume that it must have been us who were responsible - from his decisions it looks like we must have pee-ed him off. That said best not to dwell on that. We were poor.

Why dont you try sitting in the Coventry end; lucky to still have a club to support and a future less rosy than a turkey in a Bernard Matthews Factory approaching Christmas.

Then come back on here and reassess what you consider to be an 'awful afternoon' :roll:

Average yes but awful, jeez couldn't have seem much with dogface in charge.

My beef with Makris is that he cannot play the simple passes, twice is promising positions either a simple pass or a one two they were either played behind our on rushing man or straight to one of there's. Not good enough unfortunately.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:08 pm

We certainly wasn't awful today, yes we were sloppy and took a while to get going but awful I don't think so .

In regards to Makris he isn't good enough (currently) but JW continues to pick him. I think the fans should question the manager and not the player.

Very frustrated with both Morris and Kinsella , yes you could say Cov were good for a draw but they were real sitters!!

Oh and a special mention to the little scum bags at the train station who thought it was clever to start a fight whilst stood next to my 7&9 year old daughters! Hopefully our paths cross when I'm on my own. Scum.

UTS

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:17 pm

I think some of you were at a different game. Clearly we weren't at our best for long periods but we stuck at it and a draw was a fair result. I rarely comment on individuals but the system we are playing may be not best suited to home games.One man up front is very hard to play when the balls to that man are not very good....this one area where we miss Sawyers! I would prefer 2 up front but that would require major changes elsewhere so I guess that won't happen this year. Finally I am not sure that the Edwards/Chambers combination is working that well...time will tell.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:06 pm

Happy with a point from this game. Pre match I said it depended on which team turned up the good or bad one and we had both.

At times we were very poor for first 20 mins of second half we failed to clear ball found it impossible to pass ball to teamate 3 foot away and Coventry could have been 3 or 4 ahead.

The good team decided to play and we dug in got back in game and got level with well worked goal.

The refereee was poor booking our players but allowing Coventry to fly in with 2 footed tackles without even a warning.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:23 pm

As others have said, good to escape with a point, although we could have nicked all three in the end.

Our wide men don't play like wingers. In fact our full backs are more likely to get to a by-line and stick a cross in. If we're going to play narrow with full-backs bombing on, I'd like to see Osbourne come back in and play two ahead of Otsumer. Makris looks far too isolated on his own. Morris and Moussa offered nothing today. And yes, we should have had a pen but the ref's incompetence in that moment paled next to Morris's who for the second week running missed the target from seven yards.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:47 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Fish wrote:

Awful afternoon.

We interrupt this message from the Happy Clappers to say thanks for that...all of which is completely irrelevant, and ask what about the game? Acceptable against a rubbish Coventry side? Likely to get us promotion? Because in the cold light of day it was not good enough.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Another point on the board, will take that

Just saw this review from a cov fan if of any interest

https://mattyroper.wordpress.com/2016/10/29/walsall-1-1-coventry-city/

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:37 pm

fudge me, we've lost 1 in the last 10, against the free scoring league leaders, and we finish October with 4 wins and 2 draws, and people are still fudge moaning!!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Fish wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Fish wrote:

Awful afternoon.

We interrupt this message from the Happy Clappers to say thanks for that...all of which is completely irrelevant, and ask what about the game? Acceptable against a rubbish Coventry side? Likely to get us promotion? Because in the cold light of day it was not good enough.

You really expect promotion with all the changes? :shock:

Remind me how likes of Gillingham and Millwall are doing again who also went close last season to promotion....

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:39 pm

We were robbed of a well deserved defeat today - fudge great! The team is starting to grow some balls I think.

Positives - the defence was a lot sounder today, well protected by a deservedly MoM Chambers. Ozzy was excellent again, Morris/Moussa were good in patches. Jackson showed why we aren't missing Bradshaw when he came on, Ginelly had something about him as well. Coventry fans probably cried at their failure to defeat their deadly, realistic, local rivals (until their phoenix team is relegated to the 7th level of the pyramid following their unlamented liquidation that is).

Negs: Team selection: accepting that Whitney explained that Jackson had only trained one this week and that Makris was the only striker available (Bakayoko?), we lacked any prescence up front. Until Jackson came on, we had less chances than a Dingle has of shagging a woman that isn't a sister/mother/daughter. Little movement/threat/shape, we were cack for most of the first half and lucky to be within a goal at halftime. Right in line, me and the people around thought it was a penalty near the end of the half. Oh, and the excuse for a referee didnt commit sepuku on the centre circle for being so completely cack.

GOOD POINT!!!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:02 pm

We have some twerp supporting us.

Decent point...Ozzy is God.

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:16 pm

deldras
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:04 am

Guest wrote:Where would we be without Oztumer?

https://youtu.be/2jaDm9M8xo0

https://youtu.be/fHxelre3IGA

Brilliant - thanks for posting

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:13 am

Am I the only person who thought Oztumer was absolutely bang average (and occasionally poor) until we brought Jackson on? Oztumer pushed further forward and became a lot more effective then. I feel extremely sorry for Makris too because he wasn't getting any support from Oztumer or the wider players.

Overall a good point. Could have gone either way but those misses from Morris and Kinsella should have been buried.

We should have also had a stone wall penalty. He got the ball but it was high and reckless. Anywhere else on the pitch and that's a yellow card. Referee was a scumbag.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:53 pm

scott_powell wrote:Am I the only person who thought Oztumer was absolutely bang average (and occasionally poor) until we brought Jackson on? Oztumer pushed further forward and became a lot more effective then. I feel extremely sorry for Makris too because he wasn't getting any support from Oztumer or the wider players.

Overall a good point. Could have gone either way but those misses from Morris and Kinsella should have been buried.

We should have also had a stone wall penalty. He got the ball but it was high and reckless. Anywhere else on the pitch and that's a yellow card. Referee was a scumbag.

I would have put Jackson on for Oztumer and had him play him alongside Makris. This would have provided much needed movement up front. Then he goes and scores! That's why Whitney is a football manager and I am not.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:40 pm

SCOTT...I agree with your main point. I am not sure I would describe Ozzy as poor but he played too deep. At least twice in the first half Makris either won the ball or forced poor clearances from the Coventry defence and no one was able to take advantage.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:37 pm

Who made the last, side-footed pass to Ozzy to set up the goal?
I couldn't tell on the day nor on the video.

...and can somebody please resize those bleedin photos.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:25 pm

WarsawPact wrote:Who made the last, side-footed pass to Ozzy to set up the goal?
I couldn't tell on the day nor on the video.

...and can somebody please resize those bleedin photos.

The redoubtable Joe Edwards (No. 2) supplied the assist pass for Oztumer - it was a cracking move altogether. :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:40 pm

Credit where it's due, I thought Coventry played some tidy stuff yesterday - they all looked comfortable on the ball and knocked it around really well. Mowbray must be a pretty poor manager to have had them languishing so far down the table.

Yesterday was a good point and gives us the two points per game average for October that we really needed. We look a lot more compact and steely at the back, which was my main worry before. We also seem to look that bit more eager to stop crosses - albeit it was a lapse on that front that they scored from.

The main area that was lacking was the two in front of the back four when we have the ball. For all their graft defensively (Chambers especially was excellent), both of them seem quite happy to stand still and be marked when our back four have the ball, which is precisely what leads to the hopeful punts forward from the likes of O'Connor and Toner. I genuinely don't think they want to be hoofing it, but with no-one to pass it to on the deck, they're left with little choice. It did make me wonder whether we'd have been better off bringing Dobson on for the last half an hour, as he always gets himself on the ball and tries to make things happen. Chambers & Edwards have been really solid recently, but perhaps they're that bit too similar to play together when we're at home.

Like a few others, I'm getting frustrated with the moaners out there. Comments like "we're a relegation side without Oztumer" are a bit short-sighted when you can say the same about so many other teams across the board. I'm sure Leicester would have finished around mid table without Mahrez last season, and we'd have probably finished outside the playoffs without Sawyers, but it's easy to have a moan when we're not in the top six, isn't it? We're steadily improving, which is absolutely fine given the comings and goings over the summer.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Jesus how big are those pictures above?? Can someone delete them/scale them down?

The question must be asked of how we'd be for goals without Ozzy.

I mentioned on the Shrewsbury thread, it was his worst game to date that I'd seen and he still looked great and scored the winner.

UTS Legend

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:25 pm

Which pictures?

UTS Legend

Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:52 am

Guest wrote:Which pictures?

OK, I see - Darth Vader's post.

On my Android devices and Windows phone, I only get the link and no pictures. I checked it on my PC and that is where the oversized photos are. If you click on the link, the photos on the actual page are displayed normally on all my devices. I cannot speak for Apple or Linux.

All Darth Vader has done is to post a link. He has no control over what is subsequently fed from that link to this board. If he was using his phone, he probably doesn't even know there is a problem for PC users.

(It is just this particular link. All my devices usually display the same pictures, text or embedded videos from other links that are posted.)

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:00 am

Time to turn page...

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:00 am

Memo to posters

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:01 am

Resize your photos

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:02 am

Oversize photos pisss people off.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:03 am

It's almost as annoying as a poster with a massive dose of arrogantitis, although that's usually found in slightly off topic...

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:04 am

Maybe time to impose image limits.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season