Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League One, 22nd Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Swindon Town (A) League One, 22nd Oct 3pm

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:01 pm

The unbeaten run judders on - 7 points gained out of 9 in October so far, and one defeat in our last 7 matches. We've scrambled to a position of mid-table obscurity, and as things stand we are a point ahead of Swindon Town (with a game in hand). They have had problems finding the net, and indeed up until this week they weren't managing a goal a game....so of course on Tuesday they took Rochdale apart, beating that play-off team 3-0 :shock: . As someone once said - "It's a funny old game". Their League One form:

24 Sep Oldham Athletic (A) Won 0-2
27 Sep Northampton Town (H) Lost 1-3
1 Oct Shrewsbury Town (A) Drew 1-1
8 Oct Bolton Wanderers (H) Lost 0-1
15 Oct AFC Wimbledon (A) Drew 0-0
18 Oct Rochdale (H) Won 3-0

Full-back Raphael Rossi Branco won't appear for the Railwaymen - he was shown a straight red late on in the defeat at home to Bolton Wanderers. With or without him, it seems that they have a reasonably tight defence, having leaked 3 goals less than we have - a lot of the credit goes to the form shown by Chilean goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux. There may well be a disciplinary issue though, with Swindon having had 3 red cards this season, including one for said goalie.

At least Jon Whitney might have something approaching a full squad from which to make his selection. Simeon Jackson wasn't considered match fit for the Gillingham game although hopes were expressed that he would be, so he could well be back in the frame now. Amadou Bakayoko's one match suspension makes him available, so it could mean a return to the bench for our record signing.

With almost a third of the season gone already (how time flies!) there is still a great deal of scope for significant movement up (or down) the table - League One is the "tightest" of the four, with only 6 points separating play-off and relegation zones. The rewards for scraping 1-0 wins despite the occasional thumping are demonstrated by Port vale, who are in the play-off area while also having a negative goal difference!!

In the corresponding fixture last year we were all over Swindon Town like the proverbial rash (honestly), only to lose out 2-1 to a last-minute strike. Dean Smith said at the time that he thought the police should be contacted so that someone could be arrested for stealing the result, and chestersaddler and myself heartily agreed with that sentiment as we walked back, unbelieving, to the car.

However, it's time to move on and see what damage we can do on Saturday - in the spirit of "Win your home games and draw the away ones" I would be quite happy with a repeat of the 1-1 draw at Gillingham which I did forecast in that match preamble - why, oh why, did I not use that score in the Prediction League? :roll: So, 1-1, with Jackson to score for us on his return.

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Swindon Town (A) League One, 22nd Oct 3pm

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:04 pm

so how come they have the same nickname as crew :?: :lol: you may want to change that to the robins welsh, or people will think that you have been on the frosty jack again :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:17 pm

chunkster wrote:so how come they have the same nickname as crew :?: :lol: you may want to change that to the robins welsh, or people will think that you have been on the frosty jack again :lol:

Both clubs are known as the Railwaymen because of the respective towns' importance in the development of the railways in Victorian England. Crewe was a main junction and works on the London Midland and Scottish Railway, and Swindon occupied the same function for the Great Western Railway (the original, not the modern day re-creation). In fact Swindon was a small village until the powers-that-be in the GWR decided to build their manufacturing works there simply because it was half-way between London and Bristol - the route for which the GWR had been formed.

Although the Swindon Town emblem does feature a robin, it also has a steam engine, so call it my personal preference!!

UTS :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:24 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:so how come they have the same nickname as crew :?: :lol: you may want to change that to the robins welsh, or people will think that you have been on the frosty jack again :lol:

Both clubs are known as the Railwaymen because of the respective towns' importance in the development of the railways in Victorian England. Crewe was a main junction and works on the London Midland and Scottish Railway, and Swindon occupied the same function for the Great Western Railway (the original, not the modern day re-creation). In fact Swindon was a small village until the powers-that-be in the GWR decided to build their manufacturing works there simply because it was half-way between London and Bristol - the route for which the GWR had been formed.

Although the Swindon Town emblem does feature a robin, it also has a steam engine, so call it my personal preference!!

UTS :D
aaaah right i stand corrected :wink: bloody wikipedia :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:59 pm

Looking forward to this one....first time at the County ground...do they do free cider? :lol:

Actually fancy this for the first away win....Swindon had a good win the other night but they're not great at the back and play a high line judging from the Bolton highlights so should be plenty of space for the attackers to work with.

2-1 win.

I see I seem to have attracted a new fan aswell....meet up in Bristol Swampy.... :roll:

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:31 am

How have I missed this game? Anyone know how we got on? I can't find the result anywhere :?
!5th October?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:44 am

saddla wrote:How have I missed this game? Anyone know how we got on? I can't find the result anywhere :?
!5th October?

Just testing..... :oops:

:mrgreen:

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:11 am

Looks like Williams still has Swindon playing predominantly on the deck, which should suit us. Had some funny games with The Robins over the last couple of seasons. Some drubbings either way, and then a draw at their place last term. Hopefully they will be over confident from their win in the week, and we can make the most of any complacency. Be interesting to see who starts up top for us, real shame Baka got the red. Predicting another score draw.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:29 am

Barren Flak wrote:Looks like Williams still has Swindon playing predominantly on the deck, which should suit us. Had some funny games with The Robins over the last couple of seasons. Some drubbings either way, and then a draw at their place last term. Hopefully they will be over confident from their win in the week, and we can make the most of any complacency. Be interesting to see who starts up top for us, real shame Baka got the red. Predicting another score draw.

Sorry to be pedantic, but we lost at their place 2-1 last season. I was there with chestersaddler - mind you, if you left in the 89th minute with the score at 1-1........ :wink:

On the Bakayoko front I understood that it would only be a one game ban (2 yellows rather than a straight red) so he would only miss the Gillingham match. Perhaps I'm mistaken in that assumption...... :?

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:07 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Barren Flak wrote:Looks like Williams still has Swindon playing predominantly on the deck, which should suit us. Had some funny games with The Robins over the last couple of seasons. Some drubbings either way, and then a draw at their place last term. Hopefully they will be over confident from their win in the week, and we can make the most of any complacency. Be interesting to see who starts up top for us, real shame Baka got the red. Predicting another score draw.

Sorry to be pedantic, but we lost at their place 2-1 last season. I was there with chestersaddler - mind you, if you left in the 89th minute with the score at 1-1........ :wink:

On the Bakayoko front I understood that it would only be a one game ban (2 yellows rather than a straight red) so he would only miss the Gillingham match. Perhaps I'm mistaken in that assumption...... :?

Fair play, yeah, I meant the Banks's.

Baka's available, I was alluding to him missing Tuesday through suspension and Jackson being unfit for the last two, so it isn't really clear who has hold of the number 9 shirt at the moment. May have been clearer if Amadou had made two consecutive starts.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:05 am

Things just got a little clearer.

Bakayoko looks a nailed on starter tomorrow.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/walsall-fc/2016/10/21/striker-simeon-jackson-to-miss-walsalls-robins-trip/

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:18 pm

This has score draw written all over it....

Att::- 6856 ( 230 Saddlers)

3-3

Swindon:
David Preece
Kyle Lightbourne
Adrian Viveash

Walsall:
Sam Parkin
Trevor Benjamin
Jamie Vincent

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:10 pm

We'll draw 2-2

Bakayoko and Oztumer for us.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Still not won away in league so this is good chance to break duck against a team as unpredictable as us.

With our defence we are sure to concede any Swindon forward over 5 foot will win every ball in air, but we do look good attacking recently so looking for a nervous 2-1 win.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:00 pm

The only thing that is sure in this match is we will both score, because we are so poor at the back and decent going forward. so going for a 1-1 with baka scoring for us

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:40 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if it finished nil-nil.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Leatherman wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if it finished nil-nil.

Not with our defence

deldras
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:35 am

0-2 - Makris brace :shock:

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:14 am

deldras wrote:0-2 - Makris brace :shock:

I know he has to score sometime but 2 in 2 minutes is a little optimistic. :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Whatever you're on, can I have some? :mrgreen:

Hope you are right about the score, but I have an awful feeling our undefeated run might unexpectedly hit the rails today, Swindon can be a bogey team for us at times so expect a 3-1 defeat.
Today will be a test of what to expect for the rest of the season, a slow pick up in form, or a run of hovering around between the relegation zone and mid table.

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:06 pm

The season is panning out pretty much how i thought it would be after the Summer movements. We were never going to challenge , however i don't think we'll be toying with relegation come the Spring.
We're on a good run and victories over the Shrews and Millwall have given us a BIT of breathing room. Swindon away is nothing to fill us with dread , a bit of a jaunt for the travellings hoardes however a few jars will make it a good day out and i expect our undefeated run to continue today.
Swindon are on the back of a good win , but are showing little consistency , once again my fat arse will be stuck to my office chair and i'll be following it on the computer , so plenty of updates are as always appreciated , can't get WM up here in Stafford :evil:

Heart says: 1-2
Head says:1-1 Makris to open his account late on.

UTS

Obi

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Same starting eleven that played at Gillingham...Bakayoko on the bench.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:13 pm

Walsallone wrote:Same starting eleven that played at Gillingham...Bakayoko on the bench.

Starting Makris as a lone striker ahead of Bakayoko makes absolutely no sense at all.

So that means Markis will score a hat trick today, doesn't it?

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:27 pm

Echoed elsewhere but I would have preferred to see Baka start up top on his own with Makris replacing a tiring winger circa 70 minutes if we are chasing the game.

Hoping Makris gets a goal, but irregardless I can't see him running the line by himself ever so this is another strange decision, gambling on continuity in the team.

UTS regardless.

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:29 pm

Guest wrote:

I know he has to score sometime but 2 in 2 minutes is a little optimistic. :wink:

I obviously didn't expect him to be on from the start. :shock:

So, OK, 0 -2 (Makris 2). It could happen.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:49 pm

One positive to hold on to - at least Flanagan won't be coming off the bench to throw the game away again.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:07 pm

Early goal at the hockey stadium... MK Dons 0 Southend Utd 1 (4 min)

Peterborough Utd 0 AFC Wimbledon 1 (9 min)

Port Vale 0 Oxford Utd 1 (10 min)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:18 pm

Swindon Town 0 SUPER SADDLERS 1 (16 min) :D :D :D :D (Messi Oztumer!!! - left foot shot from more than 35 yards)

Bradford City 0 Sheffield Utd 1

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:19 pm

contender for goal of the season :D

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:22 pm

BBC reported
"Goal! Swindon Town 0, Walsall 1. Erhun Oztumer (Walsall) left footed shot from more than 35 yards to the centre of the goal."

Has he lobbed the keeper or simply twa**ed it?

Either way , get in :D

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season