Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) League One, Tues Oct 18th, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Re: Gillingham (A) League One, Tues Oct 18th, 7.45pm

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:01 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote:Kouhyar injured playing for Afganistan.

I liked it best when we didn't have 'internationals' (apart from one big goalie who played on occasions for N.I. I seem to remember) ....3rd Division cloggers rule KO!

Presume you're referring to Mick Kearns AM? Republic of Ireland.

Or Trevor Wood who was with us 94-97.
Still remember his game against Leeds in the FA Cup. Absolutely unbeatable for 89 minutes.
I wondered if it was a Trevor Wood reference but assumed he was meaning Big Mick.

That performance against Leeds was outstanding. MOTD interviewed him afterwards didn't they? Trevor Wood and Wacka were our goalies that season. Not bad eh?

I went to the replay with a Leeds fan. Both in the Walsall end I hasten to add. Another great game until Masinga came on!!

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote:Kouhyar injured playing for Afganistan.

I liked it best when we didn't have 'internationals' (apart from one big goalie who played on occasions for N.I. I seem to remember) ....3rd Division cloggers rule KO!

Presume you're referring to Mick Kearns AM? Republic of Ireland.

Or Trevor Wood who was with us 94-97.
Still remember his game against Leeds in the FA Cup. Absolutely unbeatable for 89 minutes.
I wondered if it was a Trevor Wood reference but assumed he was meaning Big Mick.

That performance against Leeds was outstanding. MOTD interviewed him afterwards didn't they? Trevor Wood and Wacka were our goalies that season. Not bad eh?

I went to the replay with a Leeds fan. Both in the Walsall end I hasten to add. Another great game until Masinga came on!!

It was Wacka and Wood. Took me nearly an hour an half to get home after that game and I only lived in Blakenall (missed Baywatch that Saturday).
Watched the highlights on the Saturday night in the Dolphin on Goscote.
Didn't NI call him up just after ?

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 pm

yes you are right swampster :wink: did palmer hit the bar? i couldn't go to the replay :cry:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Speaking of Trevor Wood, he was certainly called up for the Northern Ireland squad but did he ever actually get on the pitch to play for that country and therefore earn a cap? If so, who were the opponents?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:47 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Speaking of Trevor Wood, he was certainly called up for the Northern Ireland squad but did he ever actually get on the pitch to play for that country and therefore earn a cap? If so, who were the opponents?

11th October 1995, Wood played the 2nd half of a qualifying game for Euro 1996 when Northern Ireland beat Lichtenstein 4-0 (replacing Alan Fettis). Afterwards he tended to slip down the order, behind Fettis and the likes of Roy Carroll. But yes, he did get a cap!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:47 pm

First game of the season for me due to other commitments.

1-1 probably a fair result for 2 poor teams.

Toner is rubbish, particularly so in the air. The whole team cannot stop crosses coming in, nor can they defend them. Makris is shocking.

Edwards looked very average in central midfield, and surprised by the lack of pace in our forward line, with the exception of Morris.

First half we were poor, then had a couple of decent 10 minute spells in the 2nd half where if we were any good in the final third we'd have scored a couple more.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:42 am

Another welcome point.

Feed the "Moose" and he will score! :D

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:28 am

Tbf I criticised the Moose a few weeks back for looking overweight and uninterested, but fair play to the lad these last couple of games he certainly looks a lot trimmer and a real handful.

Huge positive.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:39 am

Mazza01 wrote:Tbf I criticised the Moose a few weeks back for looking overweight and uninterested, but fair play to the lad these last couple of games he certainly looks a lot trimmer and a real handful.

Huge positive.

Perhaps I should have said "feed the moose a little bit less and get him to take more exercise and he will score" :( :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:00 am

It was Big Mick Kearns I was thinking of folks, but my mind went a bit blank with the combi of a few Frosty Jacks, and the excitement of equalising away from home.
Funny old League at present, only 6 points separating Play Off's & relegation!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:05 am

Went last night. As I have mentioned on another thread, I could not for the life of me understand why our game plan would be to launch the ball up to Makris and Oztumer. Just insane.

Strangely enough, the odd occasion where we kept the ball in the middle third - we played through Gillingham and looked dangerous. It's not rocket science and I don't understand why the manager thinks it's a good idea to persist with the long ball tactics.

We have an incredible array of attacking midfielder - and we choose to bypass them. I don't get it.

Good point in the end - but came away disappointed. We were quite poor.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:33 am

Very flat first half followed by a much improved second.

Etheridge - Seemed reluctant to come off his line following his mistake on Saturday, saved a point though with a wonderful save from Dack's late free-kick.

McCarthy - Solid at the back and grew into the game attacking wise. Linked up well with Morris.
O'Connor - Couple of dodgy moments, however this was more of the JO'C from last season.
Toner - Not convinced, shocking distribution and lost a fair few of his aerial battles with MacDonald.
Laird - Probably could have dealt better with the first goal, the cross came in too easily after he had worked back. Was an outlet going forward in the second half and worked well with Moussa.

Chambers - Same as JO'C, looked more like his usual self last night. Had a couple of nervy moments in the first half, but generally covered well and broke up the majority of Gillingham attacks.
Edwards - Put a shift in and got round the pitch well. However, his passing is quite untidy and I'm not convinced that him and Chambers together will work.

Morris - One good chance in the first half but other than that was pretty anonymous, showed a few flashes of his dribbling ability but generally well marshalled by Konchesky.
Oztumer - Brilliant again, one shot in the first half crept agonizingly wide of the top corner and his low shot in the second half was spilled by the 'keeper and tapped in by Moussa. MoM.... Again.
Moussa - Grew into the game, caused their right back (Jackson) lots of problems and was alert to tap in the goal. Keep him fit and we've got one of the best wide players in the division.

Makris - Worked hard, but didn't really have a sniff as we often went from back to front too quickly. Great bit of skill towards the end won us a free kick in a dangerous position.

Not a bad point, however Gillingham are in terrible form and this might just be a missed opportunity. 3 points on Saturday however, makes this a very good week indeed...

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Play crap and nick a point. Cant complain.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:09 pm

Exactly. I would always settle for a point at Gillingham.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Good point but a very poor performance. First half was awful but I felt we were the better team second half, but not by much.

UTS Legend

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks again for the video!

SWS1

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:39 am

A point is a point: at home, meh! Away, mmm!
:mrgreen:

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season