Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H), League One, 15th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H), League One, 15th Oct 3pm

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Pheasey_Saddler wrote:Totally agree that Sloppies were one of the poorest teams I've seen down there in a while. I also agree we really struggled against their direct style of play and were lucky just to concede 2. However we could have easily had 5 ourselves.

Impressed by McCarthy today and he showed real energy and passion down the right flank. Bakayoko also impressed too.

On the negative side, the defensive seemed increasing unsettled by Ethridge's indecisive decision making on whether to come for balls or not, and we looked all at sea at times in that 2nd half. A half decent team would have really punished us.

Sloppies will definitely be in the bottom 4 imo unless they sign 4 or 5 decent players in Jan to rescue their season. Would have been very disappointed not to have beaten a team of such poor quality.

Really don't understand how they're so poor....Jim O'Brien is a very good player at this level as he showed at Coventry yet he was only a sub for them today? Ebanks-Blake is fat but he had an excellent game at the Bescot last season for Chesterfield and scored a few yet he's only a sub. George Waring had a great game for Barnsley v Walsall a few seasons ago and I'd have been happy with signing Dodds and Leitch-Smith in the summer.

Can only conclude Micky Mellon didn't have a clue how to handle bigger names and now they're in flux until they get in a new manager...the league one Aston Villa if you like... :lol: :oops:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:56 pm

Perspectives are amazing in how they differ- I thought Oztumer's radar was out of alignment all afternoon, barring two- albeit absolutely crucial- moments. Also, seeing Moussa described as "disappointing" and "anonymous" is really surprising, as I thought he showed a few moments of genuine quality (two in the first half, particularly), got himself into dangerous positions in and around the box in the second, and even dropped into central midfield and tracked back effectively on a number of occasions when we didn't have the ball.

Loved Bakayoko's enthusiasm and work ethic- busted a gut and covered acres to close Shrews defenders and their 'keeper down, putting in tackles very high up the pitch. Contrast this with Makris' brief cameo as we tried to close the game out- defending from the front is clearly not his forte.

The sentiment I couldn't agree more with concerns the centre-halves. Toner played a couple of balls out defence today, the likes of which Matt Preston has been hammered for in the recent past. If we were to spend another fee in the next year, we surely must be hunting a League One dominator in the form of Rory McArdle or Aiden Flint.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:21 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Pheasey_Saddler wrote:Totally agree that Sloppies were one of the poorest teams I've seen down there in a while. I also agree we really struggled against their direct style of play and were lucky just to concede 2. However we could have easily had 5 ourselves.

Impressed by McCarthy today and he showed real energy and passion down the right flank. Bakayoko also impressed too.

On the negative side, the defensive seemed increasing unsettled by Ethridge's indecisive decision making on whether to come for balls or not, and we looked all at sea at times in that 2nd half. A half decent team would have really punished us.

Sloppies will definitely be in the bottom 4 imo unless they sign 4 or 5 decent players in Jan to rescue their season. Would have been very disappointed not to have beaten a team of such poor quality.

Really don't understand how they're so poor....Jim O'Brien is a very good player at this level as he showed at Coventry yet he was only a sub for them today? Ebanks-Blake is fat but he had an excellent game at the Bescot last season for Chesterfield and scored a few yet he's only a sub. George Waring had a great game for Barnsley v Walsall a few seasons ago and I'd have been happy with signing Dodds and Leitch-Smith in the summer.

Can only conclude Micky Mellon didn't have a clue how to handle bigger names and now they're in flux until they get in a new manager...the league one Aston Villa if you like... :lol: :oops:

Most of the players named were on the bench. Waring was a threat in the air but wasn't particularly impressed by him. Ebanks-Blake came on but did very little.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:37 pm

Cully wrote:Another fortunate win and no thanks to our hopeless defence. What has happened to James O'Connor? he's the shadow of his former self and looks a liability every time he makes a challenge, climbing all over his man, fouling and dragging him back time and time again; so so lucky with the penalty when he was rescued by a fortunate offside. Similarly, Adam Chambers is going down hill fast, constantly giving the ball away and slowing the play down, compare him to Shrewsbury's Ian Black who was outstanding in the Chambers role - wish we could swop him, I'd even pay money. Oh, and what on earth is the point of employing Dean Holden as a defensive coach - absolutely useless.
Rest of the team, Otzumer, Morris, Moussa, Bakayoka and Edwards played well, the rest average at best.

Every game is a lottery.

Agreed about Jim but the chap is either offside or he ay, luck doesn't come into it! That was a bit of a turning point, Salop looked likely winners till then and when McGivern whinged himself into an early bath it was one way traffic.

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:12 pm

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:56 am

Legend!

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:16 am

Their celebrations :lol:

The first one the lad pushed the other over, the second one was a straight red tackle by the scorer, the lad who got tackled looked genuinely hurt :lol:

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:03 am

Anyone see what Baka did to deserve the 2nd yellow?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:38 am

layzeedude wrote:Anyone see what Baka did to deserve the 2nd yellow?

Can only assume he jumped in the crowd?

Must admit I find it a bit bizzare he didn't even score that goal yet got sent off for over-celebrating.

Two yellows so one match ban. Hopefully Simeon will be back for Gillingham.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:42 am

layzeedude wrote:Anyone see what Baka did to deserve the 2nd yellow?

Was it a case of mistaken identity? Did ref the confuse him with Moussa? I don't think you can appeal if it is two yellows only if it's a straight red but there must be grounds if the wrong player is penalised?

Have the club commented?

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:50 am

There's a photo online of him in the crowd...

The forest player who got sent off at villa the other month...was he the scorer or not? I'm tempted to say the same happened there as with us.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:56 am

A good game to watch, low on actual quality but skill doesn't always mean entertainment.

A draw would have been a fair result,until Mcgivern mugged his team off with a ridiculous sending off they were the only winners. We got lucky with the penalty that wasn't. Stonewall if he wasn't offside.

Both teams could have scored 6. Etheridge only made one mistake and it was a hue one, but we will let him off after his recent exploits.

If we are going to criticise Whitney when we lose it's only fair we say fair play for yesterday. He picked the right team, and we had to dig in and we did. It's very worrying we allow so many crosses in still, but the last game I went to was Scunthorpe and it was certainly an improvement in that.

Oztumer is heroic. He's a little genius. Not at his best, but for a flair player he don't half win the ball back. Moussa and Morris had probably their best games this season too. I like Edwards in midfield too, if he was a cricketer he would be an all rounder.

And anyway, how brilliant was it to see that fat dingle lard arse head into his own net �

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:06 am

Great view of the Shrewsbury goal, our winner, celebrations and a little goodbye song for the Sheepies :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVv02oujSx8

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:42 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Great view of the Shrewsbury goal, our winner, celebrations and a little goodbye song for the Sheepies :lol:

Thanks for posting that. Does it look as if the winning goal was an own goal with Ebanks-Blake getting a vital touch from a diving header?

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:49 pm

I thought the game was okay yesterday, a little better than what some other who went suggested. The first 20 or so minutes was fairly poor though, with both sides trying to play long balls towards their strikers with little success. Bakayoko's goal was the first decent bit of football we played in their half, and he took it really well.

It was the first game I've been to for a month, and thought our defence was a little better than it was before in open play (last home game was Wimbledon when I don't think our defence won a header all day), especially when they attached us through the middle. But at set pieces when Shrewsbury were putting the ball in the box is when we looked weakest. Their first goal was terrible defending, a straight long ball from a free kick should have been won by the defenders, and I don't think etherisge www in the wrong for staying on his line. The second one though, he came out and completely flapped at it. The only real save I remember either keeper making until late on was Etheridge down to his right in the first half.

Second half was more entertaining, and we had a good last 15 minutes when we really put pressure on them. Great finish to the game with a last minute lucky goal too, which on the whole we deserved having been the better team. Shrewsbury looked a poor side and their only real success came courtesy of our biggest weakness.

Thought Laird looks decent, Moussa has a few Sawyers-esque flicks which came off, Oztumer was his usual self... Bakayoko player okay, didn't do anything wrong and got a goal, but I think Jackson would still be my first choice at the minute. I think his second yellow was for kicking the ball over the Homeserve stand when we scored, a bit silly but a ball was ready at the spot by the time the players were ready again, and Funks video shows one of their players booted the ball in the stand after their second too.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:00 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:Bakayoko player okay, didn't do anything wrong and got a goal, but I think Jackson would still be my first choice at the minute. I think his second yellow was for kicking the ball over the Homeserve stand when we scored, a bit silly but a ball was ready at the spot by the time the players were ready again, and Funks video shows one of their players booted the ball in the stand after their second too.

Bakayoko will have to miss the next game, but I hope he is back in on Saturday. His second caution was caused by some fans jumping on him when he went close to the wall to celebrate. Once a player gets tangled up with the crowd then it is an automatic yellow.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:28 pm

Only slightly linked to match but did anyone else at the game notice the little mascot pre kickoff .No standing with officials or parents for him he went running around pitch among players and even went in team huddle until fetched out by I presume his dad.
It was good to see him enjoying it and hopefully will become a future saddler.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:29 am

reedswood sadler wrote:Only slightly linked to match but did anyone else at the game notice the little mascot pre kickoff .No standing with officials or parents for him he went running around pitch among players and even went in team huddle until fetched out by I presume his dad.
It was good to see him enjoying it and hopefully will become a future saddler.

Yes! Wasn't he great? :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:45 am

Another 3 points and the third win on the bounce and people are still whining...

I am starting to think that some who post on here are, in some twisted kind of way, are hoping that we fail miserably and get relegated just so they can say "I told ya so". :(

Any road up. I thoroughly enjoyed that. My emotions were up and down more times than Mrs Sound Out's knickers (cue another psychotic rant).

Ozzie wasn't at his best, but still made MoM and I though The Moose had a decent game too. If he had made that volley tell towards the end of the game he might well have given Ozzie a run for his money.

Etheridge had his, (what is now becoming a bit of a habit, Grobbelar moment). Laird and McCarthy are growing into their roles (although The former wasn't quite picking up his cue from Ozzie but I'm sure this will improve).

Morris was full of energy and Bakayoko showed exactly what striking the ball was about: His goal was a first class finish.

Edwards looked steady; glad to see him back.

Chambers was a bit hit and miss but better than of late.

The major worrying point is the aerial threat which everyone has picked up on, and O'Conner and Towners seeming inability to deal with it.

Other than that, more progress! :D

Roll on the Gills!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:32 am

Could someone tell me which player was responsible for laying on the superb left-footed diagonal pass to Bakayoko for that first goal? My old eyes are still trying to identify certain members of this new squad!! I thought at first it was Oztumer's through ball, but the replay seems to show that he lost possession when tackled, and another player hit it left-footed first time into Bakayoko's path........ what a finish though!!! 8)

Many thanks :D

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:15 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Could someone tell me which player was responsible for laying on the superb left-footed diagonal pass to Bakayoko for that first goal? My old eyes are still trying to identify certain members of this new squad!! I thought at first it was Oztumer's through ball, but the replay seems to show that he lost possession when tackled, and another player hit it left-footed first time into Bakayoko's path........ what a finish though!!! 8)

Inch perfect from Ossy.(Sawyers would have put his foot on the ball and played it backwards)

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:23 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Could someone tell me which player was responsible for laying on the superb left-footed diagonal pass to Bakayoko for that first goal? My old eyes are still trying to identify certain members of this new squad!! I thought at first it was Oztumer's through ball, but the replay seems to show that he lost possession when tackled, and another player hit it left-footed first time into Bakayoko's path........ what a finish though!!! 8)

Inch perfect from Ossy.(Sawyers would have put his foot on the ball and played it backwards)

And it was actually Moussa who was tackled.....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:46 pm

My thanks to both of you for that! I think what I really appreciated was that the pass Oztumer made to Bakayoko was done so quickly and yet so accurately - a demonstration of the "gelling" factor that perhaps wasn't there earlier in the season.

A few more like that, and we can start to set this League alight...... :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:14 pm

I thought Saturday was generally encouraging, if a little concerning for the odd spell here and there.

To start with a positive, we dominated the ball in the first half and but for a lapse in concentration from a set piece, we looked significantly better than them. Some will argue they're a side in turmoil so we always should have been better than them, but it's not always that easy. Teams like that set up with 10 men behind the ball and make themselves difficult to break down. I thought that despite them doing exactly that, we did move the ball in such a way that they found it difficult to get out of their own half at times.

The bad points came from the fact that they quickly realised how shaky we look when defending set pieces - and to make matters worse, we kept giving them soft free kicks in dangerous areas. Etheridge's mistake was just one of those you have to brush under the carpet, but the defending for Lancashire's goal was fairly typical of recent games. On the basis that the obvious thing holding us back at present is our inability to defend set pieces properly, I'd still like to think it's easier for Whitney to make us a top half team than it is to have us scrapping relegation. That should be a simple thing to put right on the training ground.

To go back to the positives, we do look a lot better in open play now we have a settled back four and some legs alongside Chambers in midfield. Over time I think we may come to question whether Chambers and Edwards are too similar, but for now they're doing a decent job. Moussa had his best game for us, and despite Oztumer's weight of pass letting him down a few times, he still looked like the most dangerous player on the pitch.

Our form over the last six games is that of a top 10 side, so long may that continue. The last two games may have 'only been against Millwall and Shrewsbury, but let's take some heart from the six point return - there were times during Dean Smith's reign when we found it impossible to win back-to-back games.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:14 pm

I wonder if we will ever again sign a centre half that wins headers in the box? Since Andy Butler left we have conceded sooooo many goals either from direct headers or headers on, it is farcical.

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:29 pm

As stated earlier I do believe that was Oz's worst game in our shirt that I've seen - and yes he was still very good!!

Anyway, a bloke behind me kept saying he was cack. Clearly his first game this season and even still, how was he cack? He was probably one of the grown men giving Mole shed loads of stick on deadline day.

Wyrley Saddler 66
UTS Regular

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Kieron Morris and Adam Chambers should be rested.
Bakayoko didn't put any physical pressure on the centre halves.
New tall centre half desperately required

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season