Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H), League One, 15th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H), League One, 15th Oct 3pm

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:48 pm

3-2 in the 89th minute!!!!!!!! (Oztumer):D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And a red card (2nd yellow) for Walsall (Bakayoko, for excessive celebration!) :(

Makris on for Oztumer, 92 min

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Bonkers! (according to my man on the spot)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:55 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:3-2 in the 89th minute!!!!!!!! (Oztumer):D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And a red card (2nd yellow) for Walsall (Bakayoko, for excessive celebration!) :(

Baky...excessive celebration....bit harsh to be given a second yellow, and hence red card, I would have had my throat cut for doing such a thing on a parks pitch on a Sunday morning!! :(

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:56 pm

fudge have some of that you Shrewsbury Scunthorpe !

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Darth Vader wrote:fudge have some of that you Shrewsbury Scunthorpe !

UTS

Do I detect a tad of dislike of the Sloppies in your tone there Darth? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:03 pm

:shock: no?

:lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Note that the Blades are storming up the league as anticipated, them & Bolton 1 & 2 at the end, and I'll be rolling in dosh!

Sounded a very hard won victory, but boy did we need those 3 points today, much more respectable mid table position now, so lets climb the league doing a 'Barnsley' (but without all the loanees from the Premiershite), only 5 points off a play off place!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Bakayoko out for 2 games (I think it's 2?) and Jackson injured...jeez. Oz upfront on Tuesday?

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Gripper wrote:Bakayoko out for 2 games (I think it's 2?) and Jackson injured...jeez. Oz upfront on Tuesday?

One game I think, unless there's previous this season.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Note that the Blades are storming up the league as anticipated, them & Bolton 1 & 2 at the end, and I'll be rolling in dosh!

Sounded a very hard won victory, but boy did we need those 3 points today, much more respectable mid table position now, so lets climb the league doing a 'Barnsley' (but without all the loanees from the Premiershite), only 5 points off a play off place!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I take it you weren't at the game?
Happy with the win but as usual we made it hard for ourselves.
2 defensive lapses for their goals and planets more that could have gifted more goals.
Our defence seems incapable of dealing with anything in the air.

Attacking we're better but still make it hard for ourselves.
But for Oztumers magic goal direct from the corner we'd probably be looking at a draw despite being a man up for the last 20 minutes.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Enjoyed the game, always nice to beat our Sloppy rivals. I do worry for our defence, its so poor. You just do not fancy us to keep the opposition out.

Tuned into the Sloppy Radio on the way home and they said, and I quote 'nearly 600 fans here today for a local derby so you can tell they really are behind you' :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:

Our home gates aint great, probably never will be, but my God their 'support' never ceases to amaze me! Just shows how shite a football clubs support really can be.....

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Lucky against a really cack team - could easily have gone the other way.

Three points further away from relegation is unfortunately the best thing you can say about this. Our defence is 4th division standard, a really good thing we can score goals.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Fish wrote:
Gripper wrote:Bakayoko out for 2 games (I think it's 2?) and Jackson injured...jeez. Oz upfront on Tuesday?

One game I think, unless there's previous this season.

Suits me!! Cheers for clarifying pal!

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:07 pm

2 very poor defensive sides playing out a cracker of a game at bescot this afternoon in barmy heat.
I really enjoyed game and could have gone either way
ozzy by far the best player on the pitch despite a couple of too clever passes.

shame the crowd was below 5k but I expected that
34 points to go then breathe

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Well that was brilliant and awful all in one go, brilliant drama created by a ref who wanted to make a name for himself, but God awful football.

Chambers is on a downward spiral
Bakayoko was lucky to not get sent off earlier when leaving his foot in on McGivern (his 1st yellow for complaining).
O'connor looks half the player he was last year and struggles to make a simple pass.
Etheridge was commanding one minute and flapping like a lunatic the next costing us the 2nd goal and almost a 3rd
Laird for me was the pick of the back 4
Moussa disappointing
Morris tried hard
Bakayoko took his goal well but silly sending off but understandable under the circumstances.
Ozzy m.o.m

McGivern is still cack, ollie looked decent and should have put shrews 3-2 up

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:35 pm

IHTC. wrote:Well that was brilliant and awful all in one go, brilliant drama created by a ref who wanted to make a name for himself, but God awful football.

Chambers is on a downward spiral
Bakayoko was lucky to not get sent off earlier when leaving his foot in on McGivern (his 1st yellow for complaining).
O'connor looks half the player he was last year and struggles to make a simple pass.
Etheridge was commanding one minute and flapping like a lunatic the next costing us the 2nd goal and almost a 3rd
Laird for me was the pick of the back 4
Moussa disappointing
Morris tried hard
Bakayoko took his goal well but silly sending off but understandable under the circumstances.
Ozzy m.o.m

McGivern is still cack, ollie looked decent and should have put shrews 3-2 up

Have to agree with your comment on Chambers and JOC both are causing us problems at the moment, especially JOC and his ariel weekness teams are clearly targeting us.

Red card changed the game completely in our favour, just prior to that Shrews missed two golden opportunities. Saying that the last 10-15 minutes was really enjoyable.

UTS

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:51 pm

I thought that was Ozzie's worst game in our shirt....just shows how good he is as he still saw the most of the ball and showed for it all the time...he's magic.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Gripper wrote:I thought that was Ozzie's worst game in our shirt....just shows how good he is as he still saw the most of the ball and showed for it all the time...he's magic.

Ozzy is twice the player Sawyers is and I don't mean just skill wise but his work ethic and he's not afraid to get stuck in, that was the kind of game Sawyers would have gone missing in but ozzy offers us so much more in every department

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:03 pm

A deserved victory against an ill disciplined Shrewsbury team but as others have said we really make life difficult for ourselves with poor defending against big lads. On the other hand some of our attacking play was a joy to watch although we missed Jackson. Bakayoko took his goal well but still has a lot to learn about playing as the lone attacker which is not surprising since much more experienced players find it hard.
Three wins on the bounce now ...lets hope we can get something from the next 2 away matches.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Another fortunate win and no thanks to our hopeless defence. What has happened to James O'Connor? he's the shadow of his former self and looks a liability every time he makes a challenge, climbing all over his man, fouling and dragging him back time and time again; so so lucky with the penalty when he was rescued by a fortunate offside. Similarly, Adam Chambers is going down hill fast, constantly giving the ball away and slowing the play down, compare him to Shrewsbury's Ian Black who was outstanding in the Chambers role - wish we could swop him, I'd even pay money. Oh, and what on earth is the point of employing Dean Holden as a defensive coach - absolutely useless.
Rest of the team, Otzumer, Morris, Moussa, Bakayoka and Edwards played well, the rest average at best.

Every game is a lottery.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:44 pm

A game that really had everything, a cracker of a derby game and its just got habitual now to beat the sheep.

defense is terrifying, dont rate toner he looks out of shape slower to turn around than a bus, cannot jump higher than 2 ft off the floor, oconnor is weak in the air and is being so clumsy in a positional sense, this really needs adressing at the first opportunity, earn your bloody money holden.

shrewsbury will do well to beat the drop this year only players i could pick out for them were black and waring, black would be a good replacement for chambers but he has a great delivery and picks a good pass, i thought waring was very good in the air hustled our defence and had a nice touch for a big guy.

excellent lads, hopeful of a god point away tuesday.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:07 pm

Another very welcome three points and there were some glimpses of good attacking play.

I would temper any thoughts that we've settled into a decent side by saying that Shrewsbury were unbelievably poor and despite that, caused us a few headaches.

They might say that our goals were as bad to concede as the ones we gave them, but as I say virtually every week (sorry), our central defence is weak and will hinder any hopes of progress unless it radically improves. Having said that, that's the best I have seen Toner play.

To concede a headed goal to Lancashire, who hardly won a header in his time with us is bad, although I can't recall who was supposed to be marking him.

Oztumer looked a little out of sorts to me from the start, possibly suffering from a cold or flu, but even so his effort was there if not the final execution at times. It was a pity he wasn't clinical with his second half chance which would have taken a bit of pressure off had it gone in.

I thought Moussa played well, first half especially, as did Edwards.

Finally I have to say that I don't know how McGivern has become a professional footballer, because even at my age I would be able to receive a pass and then punt it forward. Surely a professional should be able to do more than that?

SWS1

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Always happy with a derby win (always happy with any win :D ).
It sounds like it was a game of clowns from the reports :?
Now we couldn't be more mid-table: 4 points off relly, 4 points off playoffs. :|
I still believe we are one good defender off a playoff place :?:

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:33 pm

A welcome but lucky win against a very poor shrews team easily the worst I have seen this season.

OUR central defence is a total shambles and seems to get worse every game.O'Conner has gone from one of the best CB last season to a parks player and Toner never looks like he is in the game any ball coming into center is a lost cause with other team winning it every time.

Some good points Moussa is starting to look like the good player he can be, McCarthy is much better at FB, Ozzy having a poorer game is still as good as any other player on a good day, (Sawyers with attitude and guts).

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:05 pm

As others have suggested above, this team DESPERATELY needs a commanding centre-back. O'Connor and Toner could be reasonably competent playing alongside such a player but neither could fill that rôle themselves. Many times, this season, we have seen less skillful teams cause us endless problems with high balls into our penalty-area. We need another Andy Butler as a matter of urgency.

Regarding today, we were lucky not to concede more against a poor Sloppies side. McCarthy gave us good attacking options down the right as did Laird on the left. O'Connor, in particular, and Toner were poor while it was not one of Etheridge's better afternoons. In midfield, I don't think that Chambers was quite as bad as others have suggested but he is undoubtedly coming to the end of a fine career. Edwards took a lot of the workload off Chambers's shoulders.

Of the attacking midfielders, Moussa was totally anonymous and contributed nothing. Morris always looks to have goals in him but he always takes that extra stride before shooting. He needs to learn to "pull the trigger" a bit more quickly. Oztumer was, well, ... Oztumer. He continues to entertain even if the end product is not always there.

Bakayoko is learning rapidly. It's interesting that, only last season , there were some on here who wanted him released because he wasn't good enough. Fortunately, the club's coaching staff showed more patience. He is a long way short of the finished article but he is improving with every game.

More concerning is the continuing absence of Osborn/Osborne/Osbourn/Osbourne and Cuvelier. The latter was not even on the bench and neither was Jackson. Was Jackson injured on international duty?

Roll on Gillingham and Swindon.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Walsallone wrote:Three wins on the bounce now.

And to be honest, at the moment that's all that really matters!

Just think lads, you could be supporting Coventry :lol: :lol: :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:13 pm

Cully wrote:Another fortunate win and no thanks to our hopeless defence. What has happened to James O'Connor? he's the shadow of his former self and looks a liability every time he makes a challenge, climbing all over his man, fouling and dragging him back time and time again; so so lucky with the penalty when he was rescued by a fortunate offside. Similarly, Adam Chambers is going down hill fast, constantly giving the ball away and slowing the play down, compare him to Shrewsbury's Ian Black who was outstanding in the Chambers role - wish we could swop him, I'd even pay money. Oh, and what on earth is the point of employing Dean Holden as a defensive coach - absolutely useless.
Rest of the team, Otzumer, Morris, Moussa, Bakayoka and Edwards played well, the rest average at best.

Every game is a lottery.

O'Connor misses Downing a lot, they complemented each other very well on the pitch.

Can't believe more people aren't realising that...just because Downing had the odd shocker doesn't mean he wasn't a good partner for J O'C there.

Still plenty of goals in both ends and at least the attack is starting to get going now which is exciting.

Panning out as I thought it was and at least Whitney has the knack of beating bottom half teams at home on a consistent basis.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Pedagogue wrote:As others have suggested above, this team DESPERATELY needs a commanding centre-back. O'Connor and Toner could be reasonably competent playing alongside such a player but neither could fill that rôle themselves. Many times, this season, we have seen less skillful teams cause us endless problems with high balls into our penalty-area. We need another Andy Butler as a matter of urgency.

Regarding today, we were lucky not to concede more against a poor Sloppies side. McCarthy gave us good attacking options down the right as did Laird on the left. O'Connor, in particular, and Toner were poor while it was not one of Etheridge's better afternoons. In midfield, I don't think that Chambers was quite as bad as others have suggested but he is undoubtedly coming to the end of a fine career. Edwards took a lot of the workload off Chambers's shoulders.

Of the attacking midfielders, Moussa was totally anonymous and contributed nothing. Morris always looks to have goals in him but he always takes that extra stride before shooting. He needs to learn to "pull the trigger" a bit more quickly. Oztumer was, well, ... Oztumer. He continues to entertain even if the end product is not always there.

Bakayoko is learning rapidly. It's interesting that, only last season , there were some on here who wanted him released because he wasn't good enough. Fortunately, the club's coaching staff showed more patience. He is a long way short of the finished article but he is improving with every game.

More concerning is the continuing absence of Osborn/Osborne/Osbourn/Osbourne and Cuvelier. The latter was not even on the bench and neither was Jackson. Was Jackson injured on international duty?

Roll on Gillingham and Swindon.

Yes

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Don't care how we played, three points off the sloppiest is always welcome. :mrgreen:

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Totally agree that Sloppies were one of the poorest teams I've seen down there in a while. I also agree we really struggled against their direct style of play and were lucky just to concede 2. However we could have easily had 5 ourselves.

Impressed by McCarthy today and he showed real energy and passion down the right flank. Bakayoko also impressed too.

On the negative side, the defensive seemed increasing unsettled by Ethridge's indecisive decision making on whether to come for balls or not, and we looked all at sea at times in that 2nd half. A half decent team would have really punished us.

Sloppies will definitely be in the bottom 4 imo unless they sign 4 or 5 decent players in Jan to rescue their season. Would have been very disappointed not to have beaten a team of such poor quality.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season