Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough Utd (A) League One, 24 Sep 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Peterborough Utd (A) League One, 24 Sep 3pm

Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:22 pm

Well, obviously I should take more holidays......I'm away for a week and The Saddlers suddenly adopt promotion form by taking 4 points out of 6, inflicting a first defeat of the season on the League One leaders in the process. We now sit just below mid-table, and a win at the Posh will see us leap-frog over them to the edge of the play-off zone - and don't imagine for a moment that it can't be done, just look at Sheffield United's progress from rock-bottom a few weeks ago to 6th place at the time of writing.

The visit to Peterborough has the added frisson of enabling Erhun Oztumer to show them just what they've lost in the close season. I've often wondered about the background to his being "released" from Posh as he was one of their more accomplished players, and the answer can be found in the website www.theposhforum.co.uk ...... if you go to page 2 of the main forum there's a thread "Players departing" that started by saying that Oztumer was about to sign for Scunthorpe, but on page 2 of that thread there's a comprehensively long post about the background activities suggesting promises were made but not kept......

Be that as it may, Peterborough's form this season has been a bit hit-and-miss - if you ignore the U-21 cup and look at the real indicator of League One performance you see the following:

16 Aug Millwall (H) Won 5-1
20 Aug Oxford Utd (A) Lost 2-1
27 Aug MK Dons (A) Won 0-2
3 Sep Swindon Town (H) Drew 2-2
10 Sep Port Vale (H) Drew 2-2
17 Sep Sheffield Utd (A) Lost 1-0

It's not known whether Walsall's appeal against the Edwards red card will be successful, but Jon Whitney should have enough fit cover to choose from if the appeal is rejected. Reports suggest that the international break enabled much work to be done in tightening a leaky defence, but it still seems that we are relying rather too heavily on Neil Etheridge to produce the kind of world-class performance that earned him the MOTM award against Bolton Wanderers. The bigger problem still manifests itself in having strikers who don't strike - it's all very well winning, and I know it doesn't really matter who scores, but when Jason McCarthy (our right-back on the day) netted on Saturday where were our strikers, back in defence?

I'm not moaning, honestly!!!

Prediction.....IF (and it's a big if") the team can show the same gutsy attitude that was clearly on display last weekend then I think we have a reasonable chance of coming away with 3 points, courtesy of a 0-1 scoreline - let's say Makris to open his League One account.

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Peterborough Utd (A) League One, 24 Sep 3pm

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:17 am

After Makris's heroics on the line on saturday, i fully expect him to fill the role of Edwards if his red card is upheld :lol: another difficult one to predict?. you just never know which walsall will turn up :| .like you say welsh if it's the one that plays like we did on saturday then i fully expect another win. 1-2 with Makris and Morris on the score sheet. but if it's the walsall that turned up against Northampton :(

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:16 am

chunkster wrote:After Makris's heroics on the line on saturday, i fully expect him to fill the role of Edwards if his red card is upheld :lol: another difficult one to predict?. you just never know which walsall will turn up :| .like you say welsh if it's the one that plays like we did on saturday then i fully expect another win. 1-2 with Makris and Morris on the score sheet. but if it's the walsall that turned up against Northampton :(

Perhaps we should start with only 10 men? :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:32 am

Leatherman wrote:
chunkster wrote:After Makris's heroics on the line on saturday, i fully expect him to fill the role of Edwards if his red card is upheld :lol: another difficult one to predict?. you just never know which walsall will turn up :| .like you say welsh if it's the one that plays like we did on saturday then i fully expect another win. 1-2 with Makris and Morris on the score sheet. but if it's the walsall that turned up against Northampton :(

Perhaps we should start with only 10 men? :D
we seem like normally do :lol:

Euphrosyne

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:17 am

A pre-match interview with Erhun from the Peterborough local:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spor ... -1-7591204

The article is not strictly correct regarding the contract - he was actually offered a new contract that included a pay-rise. This was, however, on a smaller basic wage than the uplift enshrined in the optional year - it's all described in more detail in the link from Welsh Saddler's post. As Posh manager, Grant McCann suggests in the article, these things happen in football (particularly at our level) and I'm sure that similar situations contributed to several of your own summer departures.

Regarding the business at hand, Posh are also finding it hard to click into top-gear. We disemboweled Millwall at home but have struggled to assert ourselves against less formidable opposition. Owing to a couple of injuries to key squad members, we've yet to settle on a preferred starting XI. Both sides are capable of playing some top-notch stuff so it should be an entertaining contest and the side that can conclude an incisive passage of play may well edge the outcome.

Apologies for the accommodation that will be waiting for you at London Road. All I can say by way of amelioration is that the seats came from sustainable forests. If you bring enough followers, some of you may be upgraded to seats that have been recycled from other football grounds. Sorry about that.

The Cherry Tree on Oundle Road is the principal 'designated' away fans' pub but there will be a police presence.

You'll be welcomed too as guests at Ebeneezer's in Grove Street, PE2 9AG. This is the unofficial supporters' club and you'll be charged a quid for entry but the bar service is swift and there's three or four cask ales available. It's family friendly.

Charters is a former grain barge moored beneath the town bridge with a very large selection of proper beers and a large beer garden. It will be absolutely heaving at 2.00pm however so be warned.

The Coalheavers Arms on Park Street PE2 9BH is not much more than an outsized terraced house but there is a beer garden of sorts and a very wide range of local ales at decent prices. It's a favourite of older Posh fans or those with kids in tow. It gets a bit claustrophobic close to kick-off but service is pretty decent. There's no Sky or juke-box, just beer and friendly banter.

I'd swerve the Peacock opposite the ground if I were you.

If you're a bit laddish and feel inclined to boisterous behaviour, I'd 100% stick to the Cherry Tree if I were you. All of the above are around five minutes' steady walk to the ground.

The rest of the town is on the slightly depressing side but there is a truly magnificent Norman cathedral in the town centre (10 minutes from ground) if you want to kill half-an-hour. Plenty of eateries in the town centre but not much around the ground itself. Match day fayre inside the ground is the usual expensive and unhealthy stuff and you won't be able to get a beer once inside. Sorry about that again.

Have a safe journey.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks for that, Euphrosyne. Tell me, do Aglaea and Thaleia also attend matches at London Road? :mrgreen:

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:02 pm

Surprised you know the names of all the members of Atomic Kitten, Ped...

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Be nice to round off their chairman's 10 year anniversary week with a win for us.

Really need Osbourne fit. Dobson/Kinsella have offered little alongside Chambers thus far, and I'd be minded to go with Moussa if Ozzy doesn't make it.

Makris to break his duck this weekend. Score draw.

Looks like the Blades goalie was tremendous form against the Posh their last time out.

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/peterborough-v-walsall-match-preview-3322440.aspx?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:06 pm

A 2-1 defeat, with Makris scoring for us.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Is Ozzy an injury doubt for this then?

Can see him scoring in a 1-1.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:46 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Is Ozzy an injury doubt for this then?

Depends on whether you're referring to Osbourne or Oztumer......... :wink:

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:06 am

After having a good run at being at the games so far this season , iam once again stuck behind my desk again today , so please keep the updates coming regualrly.
I have good memories of away games at Peterborough , i remember going there probably about 20(Ish) years ago for a night match in the cup. Very good away following and i believe a 2-0 win that saw us earn an away match at Old Trafford.
Afetr last weeks win and to me the emergence of a serious talent in The Turkish Messi we are looking good for a win today. The back line looks solid and i think Laird looks a very decent signing if his legs last.
Not much direct football on show , mainly because we seem to have got a side full of dwarves , but ball to feet and possesion is an attractive option and if we can frustrate posh today and catch them on the break , i see three points coming our way.
Last time i followed the lads from my keyboard was Vale away last season and we all know how that one finished up.

Posh 0-2 Saddlers 2 (Oztumer and Makris)

PS Going off on a slight tangent , what the Fudge has happened to Swifty , have the Club got an apprentice in there , his legs are gold and like bamboo sticks and he looks like he got his top from Poundland. £1.5M we got for Ricco and our mascot looks like a tramps a*sehole. At least the old Swifty had character , often half pi**ed and smelt like he's just got out of the Fullbrook but he had character.

Keep the faith

UTS

Obi :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:59 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Is Ozzy an injury doubt for this then?

Depends on whether you're referring to Osbourne or Oztumer......... :wink:

You really thought I was on about Osbourne...the guy has his own private suite at Walsall Manor. :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:24 am

ObiWan7 wrote:After having a good run at being at the games so far this season , iam once again stuck behind my desk again today , so please keep the updates coming regualrly.
I have good memories of away games at Peterborough , i remember going there probably about 20(Ish) years ago for a night match in the cup. Very good away following and i believe a 2-0 win that saw us earn an away match at Old Trafford.
Afetr last weeks win and to me the emergence of a serious talent in The Turkish Messi we are looking good for a win today. The back line looks solid and i think Laird looks a very decent signing if his legs last.
Not much direct football on show , mainly because we seem to have got a side full of dwarves , but ball to feet and possesion is an attractive option and if we can frustrate posh today and catch them on the break , i see three points coming our way.
Last time i followed the lads from my keyboard was Vale away last season and we all know how that one finished up.

Posh 0-2 Saddlers 2 (Oztumer and Makris)

PS Going off on a slight tangent , what the Fudge has happened to Swifty , have the Club got an apprentice in there , his legs are gold and like bamboo sticks and he looks like he got his top from Poundland. £1.5M we got for Ricco and our mascot looks like a tramps a*sehole. At least the old Swifty had character , often half pi**ed and smelt like he's just got out of the Fullbrook but he had character.

Keep the faith

UTS

Obi :lol:
I work with the old swifty, i will ring and ask him what has happened?.

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:36 am

Obi :lol:[/quote]I work with the old swifty, i will ring and ask him what has happened?.[/quote]

Tell him to come back , he is much missed in the Family stand , my daughter and me used to have bets on how many times he'ed swear during the match . I walked passed him last season just in time to hear him call the Burton full back a "Dirty F ing c**t" when he chopped down Romaine .

Happy days :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Cuvelier in for Edwards...just the one change. Lets hope he is fully fit!

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:50 pm

Walsallone wrote:Cuvelier in for Edwards...just the one change. Lets hope he is fully fit!

Osbourne on the bench if not!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:59 pm

ObiWan7 wrote:Obi :lol:
I work with the old swifty, i will ring and ask him what has happened?.[/quote]

Tell him to come back , he is much missed in the Family stand , my daughter and me used to have bets on how many times he'ed swear during the match . I walked passed him last season just in time to hear him call the Burton full back a "Dirty F ing c**t" when he chopped down Romaine .

Happy days :D[/quote] If it's about what i think it is, where he came close to knocking someone's head off i don't think he will come back :lol:

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:06 pm

chunkster wrote:
ObiWan7 wrote:Obi :lol:
I work with the old swifty, i will ring and ask him what has happened?.

Happy days :D[/quote] If it's about what i think it is, where he came close to knocking someone's head off i don't think he will come back :lol:[/quote]

That's the one :lol:

You can take the boy out of The Bescot , but you'll never take the Bescot out of the boy.
LEGEND.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:18 pm

Posh 0 Walsall 1 !!!!!!!! (16 min) :D :D :D :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:20 pm

A jackson header from open play :o :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:21 pm

chunkster wrote:A jackson header from open play :o :wink:

Cuvelier with the assist :D

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:23 pm

It's Vale all over again. We're going to thrash them because i'm stuck at my frickin desk once more.

GET IN :evil:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:28 pm

1-1 :(

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:30 pm

KNACKERS :(

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:37 pm

having loads of chances but can't finish, hope it doesn't come to bite us on the arse :|

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Nichols (Peterborough) booked for foul on Cuvelier, 31 minutes

As things stand, we are 19th, 2 points above the relegation zone.

From around the country.......
Oldham Athletic 0 Swindon Town 1
Gillingham 1 Coventry City 1
Millwall 2 Rochdale 1
Fleetwood Town 0 MK Dons 1
Bury 1 Chesterfield 1
Bristol Rovers 0 Port Vale 1
AFC Wimbledon 1 Shrewsbury Town 0
Scunthorpe Utd 0 Sheffield Utd 1

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:49 pm

1-1 at half-time. Suggestions for substitutes? :?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:57 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:1-1 at half-time. Suggestions for substitutes? :?
bring baka on for makris

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:06 pm

The first half statistics make for grim reading......

Possession 59% Posh, 41% Walsall
Shots 12 Posh, 6 Walsall
On target 6 Posh, 1 Walsall
Corners 3 Posh, 0 Walsall

:(

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season