Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough Utd (A) League One, 24 Sep 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Re: Peterborough Utd (A) League One, 24 Sep 3pm

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:09 pm

I'm at the game, yeah they've had more of the game but we're still in this fairly pleased

If this was a UFC bout its a 10-9 round too them :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:13 pm

Jason Demetriou red-carded for Southend United, currently 2-0 down at Northampton Town.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Injury to Florent Cuvelier.....substituted by Franck Moussa, 62 min

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:34 pm

this will be a good point if we can hang on. looks like etheridge is playing a blinder again

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:37 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Injury to Florent Cuvelier.....

I fear this will be a common turn of phrase this season !

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:39 pm

osbourne on for makris

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:43 pm

In the 82nd minute we have our very first corner!!! :D

.....closely followed by our first yellow card of the game (Osbourne!!!) :(

85 minutes, and we've just clattered their woodwork......

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:50 pm

We've just hit the post , other than that sounds like we're holding on by the skin of our teeth. :!:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:54 pm

1-1 at full time - I think another away point is quite acceptable. :wink:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Good point that.

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:58 pm

I'd have taken a point before the game , however that now leaves us 18th , just two places above the drop. 2 big home games coming up that we need to win , however you would have to fear for us against Scunny and Millwall. :cry:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:59 pm

ObiWan7 wrote:I'd have taken a point before the game , however that now leaves us 18th , just two places above the drop. 2 big home games coming up that we need to win , however you would have to fear for us against Scunny and Millwall. :cry:

There is nothing between 10-18th looking at the table....you're worried about Milwall....they lost to bottom of table Rochdale at home. They're hardly Barcelona are they?

Last two games have reassured me this won't be a long slog against relegation this season.

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:24 pm

I'd have taken a point before the game , however that now leaves us 18th , just two places above the drop. 2 big home games coming up that we need to win , however you would have to fear for us against Scunny and Millwall.

At this stage of the season I think these are "would be nice to win" rather than must win games - I'd be happy with 4 points from the next two, which would get us back to mid-table.

That said I don't think we should fear either Millwall or Scunthorpe. Millwall have got precisely two points from their last four games, whilst Scunny have drawn their last two (both at home) and although they have had two away wins this season, these have been at Wimbledon and Shrewsbury, neither of whom are setting the league alight.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:29 pm

cookyskid wrote:
I'd have taken a point before the game , however that now leaves us 18th , just two places above the drop. 2 big home games coming up that we need to win , however you would have to fear for us against Scunny and Millwall.

At this stage of the season I think these are "would be nice to win" rather than must win games - I'd be happy with 4 points from the next two, which would get us back to mid-table.

That said I don't think we should fear either Millwall or Scunthorpe. Millwall have got precisely two points from their last four games, whilst Scunny have drawn their last two (both at home) and although they have had two away wins this season, these have been at Wimbledon and Shrewsbury, neither of whom are setting the league alight.
The pleasing this is, we should have won with laird hitting the post :)

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:45 pm

chunkster wrote:
cookyskid wrote:

The pleasing this is, we should have won with laird hitting the post :)

Not that pleasing. He should have scored. (According to my man at the match)

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:54 pm

ObiWan7 wrote:I'd have taken a point before the game , however that now leaves us 18th , just two places above the drop. 2 big home games coming up that we need to win , however you would have to fear for us against Scunny and Millwall. :cry:

Must win games, in September? :lol:

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:24 pm

Wragbyred wrote:

Must win games, in September? :lol:

All games that Walsall play are 'must win' for me. Otherwise I am utterly miserable.

I am miserable quite a lot.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Really happy with a point.. Saying that without Etheridge and his wonder saves it should of been 3 straight defeats.

Hopefully it's onwards and upwards from here.

UTS

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:35 pm

Etheridge fantastic again but I would say in terms of world class saves and performances this was the weakest of the 3, still great though.

Back 4 looks uneasy yet oddly solid at the same time, Laird was the weakest of the back 4 as he got embarrassed a couple times second half. However defensive wise we rather competent, it was just our decision making that let us down. We really struggled to close down players and didn't look like we fully understood when to press, when to drop back and when to screen. I think this is what happens when we suddenly play a diamond, which I like by the way, but with an erratic wide player playing centrally. Morris as a central midfielder gives me panic attacks, the bloke is quality with the ball at his feet it's just whenever it has to leave his feet that worries me, he is just so erratic as to whether he will bang one into the top corner or slice it to their striker.

Cuvelier and Jackson were the best players we had in terms of going forwards, Jackson in particular really did perform well. Oztumer had his worst game in a Walsall shirt, still not awful by any means but he seemed off the pace. Part of me thinks he bigged up this match against his former team a little too much and went into it too focused instead of his usual school boy on the playground style.

Chambers was immense. Makris and Moussa anonymoussa, and Osbourne came and ticked things along to see the game out.

Solid away performance with more positives than negatives there is still much to be worked on.

Euphrosyne

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:37 pm

Well done on nicking a point today. I don't think either side did enough to earn a victory and although Etheridge was the busier keeper, he didn't look like he was going to get beat a second time from the modest tests that Posh gave him. Posh normally perform far better against sides that try to knock the ball about but the Saddlers were pretty disciplined throughout. I don't think you'll lose two much sleep over this season if you can click up a gear.

Regarding Erhun's performance, it was plain that Posh made a dead set for him and to compensate, he probably tried just a bit too hard. He's still the best No.10 in L1 and I'm sure further headlines won't be long in coming.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Happy with a point at Posh. Not bad against the pikeys.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:08 pm

https://youtu.be/_s21u_FpowI

He should have scored...

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:14 pm

He should have scored...

A bit harsh? He did well to try and place it at the keepers far post rather but was a bit unlucky that the rebound came out rather than going in. A lot of defenders would have blazed it over (I would have expected a striker to score).

Disclaimer: I wasn't there, just going on the video.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:08 am

cookyskid wrote:
He should have scored...

A bit harsh? He did well to try and place it at the keepers far post rather but was a bit unlucky that the rebound came out rather than going in. A lot of defenders would have blazed it over (I would have expected a striker to score).

Disclaimer: I wasn't there, just going on the video.

Yes a bit harsh but he might as well have blazed it over, hitting the post is still missing the target.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:16 am

Mazza01 wrote:Really happy with a point.. Saying that without Etheridge and his wonder saves it should have been 3 straight defeats.

Hopefully it's onwards and upwards from here.

UTS

How did this compare to the Bristol Rovers siege when Ethers also had a blinder by all accounts? Are there signs of improvement in our defence and ball retention?

Fixed that but I probably shouldn't of :wink: .

stourportsaddler

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:29 am

Decided last minute to visit London Road as haven't been there for a while.....
Firstly 26 Quid to sit in a seat with less leg room than ryan air's cheapest seat was a complete rip off!
As for the game.....
For the first 10 minutes we bossed the game and looked like we were really up for it pressing high with laird getting plenty if space behind posh''s maddison.
The game started to open up and Jackson scored with a good header.
We then started to sit back allowing posh plenty of possession which eventually told as maddison scored a bit of a worldy.
Second half was mostly all posh with etheridge pulling a couple of great saves, we didn't retain the ball very well and it seemed like it was inevitable posh would score!
Laid was then unlucky not to score hitting the post but in all fairness we didn't deserve to win.
A good point away from home, onwards and upwards....

SWS1

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:32 pm

Any away point is a good 'un :D . Win at home, point away = promo. It's the first of these that has let us down in previous seasons. I'd be ecstatic with a top 6 finish this season. Still think this squad has more to give...Let's hope so.

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season