Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bolton Wanderers (H) League One, 17th Sept 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
UTS Legend

Re: Bolton Wanderers (H) League One, 17th Sept 3pm

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:21 pm

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Titty, titty Taylor! :lol:

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Nothing should surprise you about Trevor Kettle - one of the worst referees in the Football League and one who always loves to be the centre of attention.

Loves to let matches boil over, that Kettle.

Ironically the sending off spurred us on. We were doing OK until then, playing 4-3-1-2 for the first time since the beloved Merson era I believe, but after the red we were superb to a man. A season-changing match? Let's hope so. There was a confidence and swagger going forward and a solid defensive organisation and discipline, refusing to be bullied by a huge team lumping up long balls.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:41 pm

I really think we have a hell of a squad this season as I have said before and I think just one person above mentioned that bolton were big. I don't know about big they were head and shoulders above virtually all of our team. I think it's about time we just got behind the team we have and stopped saying that Whitney is not the right man because this was no fluke today.

I also believe that the criticism about the size of our players should also be put to rest because today with ten men it proved what most of us already claim. Size does not matter. We were class going forward to a man and how we defended all the long balls and something like 14 corners I will never know. Plus if you add the ref and the linesmen you just couldn't make it up!

Bolton or not it was quality that won today not quantity.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:47 pm

From a post on a Bolton forum

"Hmm.

Very odd that we didn't get at least a point. There were times especially in the second half where a goal felt inevitable. Much kudos to a young Walsall team for holding out, but also for playing some decent football, popping the ball around nicely. One great accolade I can give them is that we very rarely looked like we had a man more.

Before the game our Twitter feed showed the No.10 shirt to say the little man's back, but to this viewer an even littler No.10 ran the show. 5ft3in Ehrun Oztumer was superb for Walsall, first playing in the position named after his shirt number but then digging in brilliantly when they were down a man. When he was subbed off late on – and took his time, in one of very many Walsall timewasting moves – I applauded him off, and I was far from the only one in the away end doing so.

The fact that Oztumer wasn't man of the match, but goalkeeper Neil Etheridge was, shows how much we dominated. Getting six efforts on target is enough to win most matches."

The forum is http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/viewforum.php?f=4

Locky
Glitterati

Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:31 am

Walsall+Saddles Fans 1 V Bolton+Trevor Kettle 0

The whole team were fantastic and you know what......

so were we!

Question to the team, can you do it again?

Question to us can we?

With this squad take that sort of focus and determination with that sort of support into games and we will beat anyone in this league.

Yesterday was special, much kudos to players and supporters alike.

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:19 am

Spotted this -

Nice view of our goal & the Etheridge save from the away end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C65j1or3Uzo

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:41 am

addo wrote:Spotted this -

Nice view of our goal & the Etheridge save from the away end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C65j1or3Uzo

I thought this was going to be really cringe worthy but fair play to the kid that's well put together. Good use of music, well presented and quite funny.

Bolton fans don't seem as arrogant as some of the other "bigger sides" we've had down here recently, special mention to Sheffield United whose stay in this division has been as long as it has funny. Oh and also Coventry - bottom of the league!!!

Anyway, terrific win from the lads today. Really hopes this spurs us on to bigger and better things. I'd like to finish top ten this season but actually wouldn't throw my toys out if we finished somewhere around where we are now - then push on from there. We've had a really tricky preseason.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:08 am

Fantastic afternoons entertainment,the game had everything.Laird looks a good find.Sawyers should watch ozzy and learn how to be more direct.What a player Bolton didn't know how to handle him.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:10 am

Enjoyed that Vlog or whatever the yoof call them.....

anyway

Cracking enjoyable game... felt more like a cup semi final than a league match

mentions to Oz, morris and Etheridge who all had super games. Makris put a shift in. lots of channel running and a great clearance off the line

enjoyable

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:37 am

It wasn't until their bloke was sent off that I remembered we had been playing with ten men for more than 70 minutes!

Excellent performance with subuteo's finest getting the MotM award (from me anyway) - hope we don't miss him too much when they start filming Game of Thrones again....

Not sure about the sending off. I wonder whether the club will appeal it?

Their red card was laughable almost to the point of feeling sorry for them, but FairPlay to Mr Kettle in blowing up as Bakayoko looked about to draw a foul from their keeper,which would have surely have resulted in another dismissal for them.

Whitneyin :D

saddlerbishoff

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:21 am

As can be seen by the posts to date this was a special performance and one that JW had been promising for some time with "his Squad" not Smiths squad. In other words skill and endeavour mixed with hard work and grit. Given the brickbats of recent weeks on this Board the whole squad and the Management deserve some praise for the performance under adverse conditions.
More of this and we shall start to BELIEVE again as only one team played skilful football and that wasn't Bolton.
As already said the key performances were from Etheridge and Oz with others such as Morris not far behind. Laird was really really good and reminded me of Andy Taylor at his best when younger. He didn't put a foot wrong and added to a more solid back 4 with the benefit of JOC at the heart of it.
Oz showed just how classy and hard working he is. Sensational. Might upset some on this Board but I much prefer Oz to Sawyers.
How can Kettle still be a referee with performances and decisions such as that and his awful reputation over a number of years? And the linesman with the yellow flag got more decisions wrong than right. He didn't even see the players foot consistenly over the line at Bolton long throw ins.
Add that to the referee decisions at Bristol Rovers where the Chambers tackle was not even close to the penalty area and you start to wonder just where the quality control is for the Officials these days. In any other profession they would be out the door!
Hopefully onwards and upwards. UTS.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:38 am

Optimistic wrote:I really think we have a hell of a squad this season as I have said before and I think just one person above mentioned that bolton were big. I don't know about big they were head and shoulders above virtually all of our team. I think it's about time we just got behind the team we have and stopped saying that Whitney is not the right man because this was no fluke today.

?... criticism about the size of our players because today with ten men it proved what most of us already claim. Size does not matter. We were class going forward to a man and how we defended all the long balls and something like 14 corners I will never know. Plus if you add the ref and the linesmen you just couldn't make it up!

Bolton or not it was quality that won today not quantity.

The size of their balls are more important than their height and ours had them out swinging in the breeze yesterday, no doubt about it.

More please.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Not a happy house at the Macron stadium last night.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... t_Walsall/

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:33 pm

What a difference a week makes after that utter rubbish at Northampton where you wondered if we could ever win again to this excellent performance, everything that was missing last week was here in plenty. We had fight, skill and passion the sending off made us more determined to win.

The team looked more balanced with O'Conner bringing his experience to a young back four. M'Carthy had his best game yet playing in position he has been playing at his parent club,he is not good enough for CB in this league keep him at RB.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:40 pm

Harry wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:I actually assumed from looking at the team sheet it was a 3-5-2.

So what it was Edwards at left back and Lairdy at left midfield?

Main reason I wasn't keen on switching to 4-4-2 is I wasn't sure how effective Ozzy would be but if he had a stormer in that system then go for it and get Baka in there from the start.

It began as 4-5-1: or 4-4-1-1 if your prefer.
McCarthy right back; Toner and O'Connor centre backs; Laird left back,

Edwards defensive rightish/centre midfield; Chambers defensive leftish/centre midfield

Morris right attacking midfield; Makris left attacking midfield

Oztumer the number 10.

Jackson up front all on his own

At least that's how I saw it. Any improvements on this analysis welcome.

It could well have been 4411. I thought 442 but as everything changed after 15 minutes it didn't really matter. My point is that we did go 441 and the team were fantastic. Not only defended well but continued to pose a threat in attack. If the players stick to those positions again and stick Babayoko up front with Jackson in a 442 formation it could pay dividends.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:32 pm

I lked this one from comments beneath newspaper article.

A terrible result. We have gone downhill fast since losing Mavis
Can't beat 10 men in League one, ,
No point in saying there goalkeeper made 3 brilliant saves , that's what he is there for
When are we going to beat someone 2 or 3 nil. And show we are as good as everyone thinks we are, every week we are hanging on
Scunthorpe are above us , bloody Scunthorpe, Bolton were a premier side when Scunthorpe was a bloody phone box,,
Rubbish

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:43 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:I lked this one from comments beneath newspaper article.

No point in saying there goalkeeper made 3 brilliant saves , that's what he is there for
When are we going to beat someone 2 or 3 nil. And show we are as good as everyone thinks we are, every week we are hanging on
Scunthorpe are above us , bloody Scunthorpe, Bolton were a premier side when Scunthorpe was a bloody phone box,,
Rubbish

:? Typical condescending attitude from a club with a bigger history and fan base - bit like some of our 'local friends' from the Aston and Bilston areas!!!

Clearly they are simply too 'big' for our division!?! More realistically, they just can't take a loss on the chin... Hope Scunny fans pop onto our forum and log it for their next game vs the mighty Bolton...

All good stuff.....

UTS

Harry
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:42 pm

We had a close shave on Saturday when Jackson tried to handle the goal-bound header that Makris cleared off the line. If he had been a little taller we would have been down to 9 men and a penalty to Bolton.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:31 am

Lucky he's short then, Harry. Midget-tastic! :mrgreen:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:49 am

To be honest second half they should of had a penalty when McCarthy dived to clear and he punched it wide for a corner

SWS1

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:02 am

It's inevitable that team playing with 10 men will ride their luck on occasion but, Hey! what a performance! Brilliant. Let's hope this is the gelling point :D
Any news on Edwards' red?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:43 pm

SWS1 wrote:Any news on Edwards' red?

The dismissal stands so he misses our next 3 games. Tosspot Kettle! :twisted:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:35 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:I lked this one from comments beneath newspaper article.

Rubbish

Scunthorpe weren't a telephone box. And they certainly weren't a club functioning way beyond their means on tick , with no plan, no idea, how they would ever settle their debts and confident (correctly as it turned out) that sanctions would be minimal when those debts were called in.
Typical arrogance from another "big club."

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:32 am

From 1983 - 1993, Bolton were in the bottom two tiers while the phone box (despite their size) have enjoyed a few spells in the second tier since that time. Arrogant a*******s

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:10 pm

Overall, I thought it was the sort of performance that turns a group of players into a team.

...and the new WFC branded scratchings were magnificent!

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season