Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (A) League One, Tues 13th Sept 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Bristol Rovers (A) League One, Tues 13th Sept 7.45pm

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:23 pm

Optimistic wrote:
chunkster wrote:looks like the other players are bringing his game down. that's twice in 2 games he has made mistakes that we have paid for with a goal. he hasn't ever done that in the time i have seen him play :|

Nothing wrong with the other players. It just shows that even experienced players get it wrong sometimes. I don't know why young promising players come to Walsall, they just get hounded out before they have chance to shine.
i just think he seems nervous in front of his new team mates. it seams that it has changed his game :| :|

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:29 pm

brizzle have us under the cosh now
:(

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:31 pm

Baka coming on for Moussa

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:32 pm

chunkster wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
chunkster wrote:looks like the other players are bringing his game down. that's twice in 2 games he has made mistakes that we have paid for with a goal. he hasn't ever done that in the time i have seen him play :|

Nothing wrong with the other players. It just shows that even experienced players get it wrong sometimes. I don't know why young promising players come to Walsall, they just get hounded out before they have chance to shine.
i just think he seems nervous in front of his new team mates. it seams that it has changed his game :| :|

Fair enough chunkster, I just get fed up of negative posts which is why I don't get involved too often. I think that young players need to be given confidence rather than being blamed for someone else's mistakes.

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Bradshaw score against wolves to make it 4-0 :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:37 pm

wolves 4-0 down hes gorra gu.

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:38 pm

4 mins added time

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:38 pm

Optimistic wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Fair enough chunkster, I just get fed up of negative posts which is why I don't get involved too often. I think that young players need to be given confidence rather than being blamed for someone else's mistakes.
just keep posting opti. we need a balanced view whether we agree or not :wink:

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:42 pm

1-1 final score.

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:42 pm

FT 1-1

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Decent point,now I'm off to molineux mix.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:44 pm

a good point in the end. i was expecting a loss so a bonus. lets go on a run now and build on this :wink:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:50 pm

In isolation a decent point considering the siege in the second half from Bristol.

6 points from 6 though...not enough with Bolton, Posh, Millwall and Sheffield United coming up in next few weeks.

The bottom 4 awaits I'm afraid.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:05 pm

From Molineux mix.

"Quite frankly a disgrace of a performance. That was a league one team out there for goodness sake."

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:07 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:From Molineux mix.

"Quite frankly a disgrace of a performance. That was a league one team out there for goodness sake."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:11 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:In isolation a decent point considering the siege in the second half from Bristol.

6 points from 6 though...not enough with Bolton, Posh, Millwall and Sheffield United coming up in next few weeks.

The bottom 4 awaits I'm afraid.

I'll send you some of my pills my friend! :D Gets galling after a while dow it?
Think I agree with your assessment, Bolton will annihilate us on Saturday, so bottom four it will be. Bit sad after we were all so happy with some of the new squad, we all thought that we could do well, but weem relegation fodder no doubt if Brizzle Rovers can set siege to our team, we've little chance of improvement, all we can hope for is the occasional lucky win at home to keep us out of a permanent spot in the bottom four from now on.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:16 pm

I'd be happy with a point if that City. Not so sure with Rovers...

Still, it's away, so take it! Well done the lads, etc...

SWS1

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:30 pm

After Saturday's display, pretty pleased with a point: would like to see the non-existent peno to us, though. :)
In fact, our record at The Gas over recent seasons has been excellent; when was the last time we lost there?
Still want to give Whitters and his squad until Xmas to show whether our pre-season optimism was misplaced :?

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:44 pm

It will be interesting to hear from those who went as it again sounded like a one half performance. Decent in the first, battered in the second.

With a physio as a "manager", why do we have such an unfit squad? Injuries aside, we seem to fade so quickly in games, it's ridiculous. At times last season we only really showed up for the second half, but at least that meant we had something left in the tank. This lot can barely last 45. What did they do in pre season so drastically different from previous years?

TWM1962
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:56 pm

A hell of a lot better than Saturday. Great first half but the second half is becoming second nature!! Without Etheridge we are sitting ducks !!

Bristol Saddler
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:04 pm

Ok! Just back from the game & we should be delighted with a point, as Etheridge was our MOTM by a long way for pulling off a string of class saves, including one in the first half which was simply superb. Ozzy's goal was quality & he showed his class all game. Chambers worked hard particularly in the first half, but faded in the second.

That said we hardly troubled the keeper & looked devoid of ideas going forward for long spells, unless it went through Ozzy & we gave the ball away cheaply a fair bit. But my main concern was the defence, where we looked vulnerable all the time & particularly in the air; Rovers had a lot of corners & they were terrifying to watch.

Really not sure about Morris, who had a poor game.

A point gained, not 2 lost, but we were lucky!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Hmmm the pattern is not changing for me....no fluency or any sort of gelling in attack despite having 5 attacked minded players out there....bar Ozzy who is superb imo. And the defence still can't keep a clean sheet and was lucky to just concede the 1.

That combination doesn't win football matches I'm afraid folks.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:32 pm

Just back and we were lucky to get a point.

Toner the pick out of the back 4 once again but we still looked like conceding everytime they went forwards. Moussa was poor, Kouyhar non existent with Jackson chasing shadows. Oztumer was however brilliant and Morris alongside him had a cracking first half but a poorer second.

Etheridge man of the match by a country mile.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:46 pm

still not promising even though we got a point.sounds like we were battered second half as usual.what is happening at half time or are these players just not fit?

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:53 pm

Morris should've buried his chance in the second half to seal our second win of the season. Rare he doesn't take his chances - I'll let him off.

Baka - what was the point in bringing him on? Far too late to win us the game IMO. I think we were far too happy with a point (it's 2 points dropped though when you take the lead).

Moussa is still unfit and Makris needs a goal badly.

Etheridge was solid and was easily MOM, however Ozzy ran him close - great game, energetic and always a step ahead.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:04 am

saddler_nic wrote:It will be interesting to hear from those who went as it again sounded like a one half performance. Decent in the first, battered in the second.

With a physio as a "manager", why do we have such an unfit squad? Injuries aside, we seem to fade so quickly in games, it's ridiculous. At times last season we only really showed up for the second half, but at least that meant we had something left in the tank. This lot can barely last 45. What did they do in pre season so drastically different from previous years?
we lost our physio :lol:

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:14 am

killers left foot wrote:still not promising even though we got a point.sounds like we were battered second half as usual.what is happening at half time or are these players just not fit?

Just maybe opposition managers suss us out. Couple of tweaks then we are bollixed :wink:

Harry
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:47 am

Why is Moussa still unfit? He has been at the club since 11th July.

It looks as if we have three potentially decent strikers in Jackson, Makris and Bakayoko. Unfortunately since we only play one up front that means two of them will either be on the bench or be played out of position as mediocre wingers.

I was pleased to hear that Morris was played in the middle. It seems obvious to me that he is a central midfielder and not a winger.

What does Whitney see in Kouhyar?

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:14 am

Harry wrote:Why is Moussa still unfit? He has been at the club since 11th July.

It looks as if we have three potentially decent strikers in Jackson, Makris and Bakayoko. Unfortunately since we only play one up front that means two of them will either be on the bench or be played out of position as mediocre wingers.

I was pleased to hear that Morris was played in the middle. It seems obvious to me that he is a central midfielder and not a winger.

What does Whitney see in Kouhyar?

Is that not double standards? everyone seems to be under the impression that Makris needs to be given time to adapt.. should it not be the other way around Kouhyar is literally 3 games into his professional career.

If anything you should be questioning Makris.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:53 am

Mazza01 wrote:Is that not double standards? everyone seems to be under the impression that Makris needs to be given time to adapt.. should it not be the other way around Kouhyar is literally 3 games into his professional career.

If anything you should be questioning Makris.

I accept that Makris has done nothing so far to justify his signing, let alone his club record transfer fee. However in his defence he has not yet to start a match in his real position. It seems pretty clear that he is nothing special as a winger, but as of yet we don't know how good he would be if he were given a run in the side as a striker. He has a track record which includes 10 full caps for Cyprus, he has been playing first team competitive football for three years and he is still only 20. I would not say that playing Makris out of position is helping him to adapt.

When a new winger is played I do not expect him to be a consistent performer, but I do want to see some flash of talent now and again. Kouhyar took his goal very well against Grimsby, but apart from that, has he ever shown anything special?

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season