Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town (A) League One, 10th Sept 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
m&m
Glitterati

Re: Northampton Town (A) League One, 10th Sept 3pm

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Just back home after leaving early.

When I saw the latest random team selection I thought that Whitney had got confused and thought it was the next game in the checkatrade and not a league game.
That starting 11 would struggle in the conference.

Three out of four defenders on loan and all go back in January? The only permanant signing in defence is useless and cannot pass a ball to anybody in the same colour shirt.

The only thing he did right today was play Bakayoko who created a couple of chances for himself.

Only Baka/ Morris and Etheridge ( who made at lease 3 great saves to keep the score down) came out with any credit from today.The rest looked to just go through the motions.

Talk about a contrast in seasons. After the highs of last season with the great team we had we have signed a new team of losers who are heading for the drop.

Worst of a bad bunch today were Edwards/kinsella-who sadly looked out of his depth/ McCarthy who is just poor and fat Frank who offered less than Kouyar when he came on.

Finally a special mention to our physio( sorry manager) who again is totally out of his depth.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:50 pm

Forgot to mention our fans today.
I cannot ever remember being with such a subdued away following- myself included.
It was almost as if everybody seemed resigned to the inevitable defeat that was about to happen.

Total difference to last season.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:55 pm

m&m wrote:Forgot to mention our fans today.
I cannot ever remember being with such a subdued away following- myself included.
It was almost as if everybody seemed resigned to the inevitable defeat that was about to happen.

was it true the fans where singing that he is worse than o'dismal ?

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:00 pm

chunkster wrote:

Yes.
Followed by "Sean O'Driscoll's Barmy Army".

It's not good at the moment but I don't think Whitney is as bad as SOD.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:08 pm

Bit of bother outside too with their lot

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:11 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Yes.
Followed by "Sean O'Driscoll's Barmy Army".

It's not good at the moment but I don't think Whitney is as bad as SOD.
i think the whole set up is farcical to be honest. a physio that has been given a 3 year deal as a manager and an unsuccessful coach with oldham. and judging by the reactions of those at the game. an unfit team of overweight crocks that can only play 2 games a month. and a midfield of midgets that have no idea. it is only going to end in tears :|

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Awful, just awful. Started ok first 20 minutes then they scored from a defensive mistake (surprise) and it was cack from then on.

Big changes needed, it isn't working Whits.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:23 pm

Recruitment starting to look poor. Too many lightweight youngsters and injury prone midfielders. So far Whitney's tactics seem to be copy Dean Smith's formation and hope for the best.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:50 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Recruitment starting to look poor. Too many lightweight youngsters and injury prone midfielders. So far Whitney's tactics seem to be copy Dean Smith's formation and hope for the best.

Agree he just won't budge from the one up front option..

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:14 pm

Unbelievable. People are calling for the managers head after we have played just 6 league games. I really don't know where some people expected us to be at this stage!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:32 pm

Optimistic wrote:Unbelievable. People are calling for the managers head after we have played just 6 league games. I really don't know where some people expected us to be at this stage!

The problem is this has been a pretty easy start to the season, only Charlton so far you could describe as a serious promotion contender.

I really don't think 5 points is anywhere near enough, 8-9 points is what I was thinking and would've put the team in mid table pack with Bury, Peterbrough, Vale etc.

Next few weeks include Bolton, Millwall and Sheffield United, can't say I'm confident with what I've seen so far.

Normally I would agree...give Whitney until xmas etc. The problem is you don't want to be in the mess Hutchings left when he was sacked in January 2011 and the team were miles adrift which required a great run to survive.

The season is still young and many team aren't that far ahead so better to act now.

Bonser actually surprised me how quickly he dismissed O'Dismal so not sure he'll give Whitney ages either. Main sticking point is he's been such a good servant to the club how do you handle things as I doubt he'll want to go back to just physio duty.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:34 pm

pumajaguar wrote: So far Whitney's tactics seem to be copy Dean Smith's formation and hope for the best.

Dean Smith's formation worked well with last season's team. When Whitney took over from O'Driscoll his job was pretty easy. He had to restore the morale of the players upset by Sean O'Driscoll and then copy Smith's tactics for the rest of the season. Unfortunately we now have what amounts to a completely different squad of players, and it will not work with them.
Last edited by Harry on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:44 pm

Shocking we were a very very poor team today well beaten by a poor Northampton side. We moaned on here that Dean Smith had no plan B, Whitney has no plan A,his team selections seem to consist of Etherige and first 10 names out of a hatand has no idea of tactics.

The defence was awful never winning a ball crossed into our area and unable to clear lines giving ball time after time to Northampton.McCarthy is not a CB and should not play there again put him at FB if he is to play.

The midfield was non existent not a lot more to say.

Bakayoko tried had up front and proved he needs to start.

It says a lot about game when highlight of the day was sitting on supporters coach watching dozens of police cars come pouring down road all lights blazing.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:24 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:Shocking we were a very very poor team today well beaten by a poor Northampton side. We moaned on here that Dean Smith had no plan B, Whitney has no plan A,his team selections seem to consist of Etherige and first 10 names out of a hatand has no idea of tactics.

The defence was awful never winning a ball crossed into our area and unable to clear lines giving ball time after time to Northampton.McCarthy is not a CB and should not play there again put him at FB if he is to play.

The midfield was non existent not a lot more to say.

Bakayoko tried had up front and proved he needs to start.

It says a lot about game when highlight of the day was sitting on supporters coach watching dozens of police cars come pouring down road all lights blazing.
well it sounds like at least the fans had some fight in em. perhaps whits should take the players to watch them :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:31 pm

Short term move McCarthy back to RB.

Edwards played central midfield for Yeovil when they won promotion so he can't be awful in that position. I'd give him in a run in that position when Osbourne is injured.

Just not enough experience in most areas of the picture.

People frequently criticised Mantom, Taylor and Downing last 18 months but those three knew league 1 inside out. They provided stability e.g. Downing and O'Connor complement each other well as a partnership, Mantom when on form provide energy alongside Chambers. Taylor declined last season but was still a reliable back up to Rico....and he could also play as a third CB.

It all looks a bit disjointed currently. Problem is half the team will keep on getting injured given fitness records.

TWM1962
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:59 pm

Well...just got back... JW a manager - Physio yes.
Cutler a coach - yes a goalkeeper !!!
Holden - a coach and failed, and as a manger (part time) Oldham..

Cannot wait for Tuesady and loose again.

Bolton at home on Saturday - predict a massacre!!

NOT HAPPY is a ...........

Still this is our beloved WFC..

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:32 pm

Serious questions need to be asked. The transfer dealings. An absolute farce. Players bought in who to be frank are only conference standard. Complete shake up up required to give any hope of escaping relegation

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:37 pm

Harry wrote:
pumajaguar wrote: So far Whitney's tactics seem to be copy Dean Smith's formation and hope for the best.

Dean Smith's formation worked well with last season's team. When Whitney took over from O'Driscoll his job was pretty easy. He had to restore the morale of the players upset by Sean O'Driscoll and then copy Smith's tactics for the rest of the season. Unfortunately we now have what amounts to a completely different squad of players, and it will not work with them.

I think you pretty well hit the nail on the head - the job required last season when coming in was fairly uncomplicated for JW (not saying it was easy but it was clear what was needed with the group of players involved..) trying the same strategy with a quickly assembled group of players who seem to be prone to injury and lacking persistence is simply not going to work.

I'm not sure how long it will be allowed to continue and I hope I'm wrong but frankly I don't see this team quickly turning this form around..

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:06 pm

coop63 wrote:
Harry wrote:

I think you pretty well hit the nail on the head - the job required last season when coming in was fairly uncomplicated for JW (not saying it was easy but it was clear what was needed with the group of players involved..) trying the same strategy with a quickly assembled group of players who seem to be prone to injury and lacking persistence is simply not going to work.

I'm not sure how long it will be allowed to continue and I hope I'm wrong but frankly I don't see this team quickly turning this form around..

Have a day off will you? Last season's success didn't happen overnight. Of course we can't carry on where we left off with only chambers and etheridge being mainstays from last season. It takes time for players to function as a unit.

For those that weren't there, we were very poor first half with tactics that involved passing very slowly across the back before launching the ball to the invisible man and inviting pressure.

However 2nd half was MUCH better. Swift transition from defence to the attacking third. Good use of the wings and retention of the ball in their half. Their penalty was just that bit of luck which had it gone our way it would have meant a point which would have been a fair result.

Despite Northampton being "champions of England" I thought they were dreadfully limited.

Positives - Despite it being a new team, some of the ball retention is streets ahead of the similar stage in Deano's reign. I thought laird was a competent left back too.

Negatives - 1- don't like having defenders on loan who can make mistakes for us while learning their trade, before probably then going on to earn their parent club a big transfer fee signing for a championship club. Is Matt Preston injured?
2- We still seem incapable of doing anything other than giving the ball away to the first defender on any set piece.
3- the blue kit just feels wrong.

As for the trouble at the end of the match, I literally had to WALK around it to get to my car. Shocking.

Reckon we'll get summit at brizzle.see you there.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:10 pm

chunkster wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote:It says a lot about game when highlight of the day was sitting on supporters coach watching dozens of police cars come pouring down road all lights blazing.
well it sounds like at least the fans had some fight in em. perhaps whits should take the players to watch them :lol:

If you're lucky, every match thread has a classic line in it somewhere - this is the one for this match!!!!

I wonder if Witney being a physio thought "a lot of players who are injured just lack a decent physio. I'm a decent physio, I'll start a moneyball type situation for injured players"?
If so, then it's not working yet.
And we're starting to look a little silly.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:23 pm

Pumajaguar - I agree that the recruitment over the summer is looking pee-poor. Is there some unwritten rule that Walsall can only sign short-arses? The spine of the team is very weak: we lost Downing, Mantom and Bradshaw: we have replaced them with McCarthy (too inexperienced and lightweight for a centre-half), Dobson (see McCarthy, centre-midfielder), Jackson (not equipped to play as a lone striker). And when will Cuvelier, Moussa and Osborne be fit enough to play 90 minutes, at least once a week? It's looking very bleak - I'm not sure that Whitney can turn this around. I'd give him 3 more games.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:24 pm

Not quite gelled yet.

https://youtu.be/0BxcvL6nq-k

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:04 pm

Happydays2122 wrote:Serious questions need to be asked. The transfer dealings. An absolute farce. Players bought in who to be frank are only conference standard. Complete shake up up required to give any hope of escaping relegation

Who are the Conference standard players out of interest?

McCarthy- Did well at Wycombe who weren't far off going up from league 2. Struggled so far but he's not a CB, that's quite clear.

Edwards- Not in Demetriou's class but a steady eddie type imo. Personally I'd give him a go in central midfield.

Laird and Toner- Too early to judge.

Osbourne- Been really good in the games played so far but his frequent absences are really hurting the team.

Jackson- Decent league one striker, already three goals.

Ozzy- Class imo but can only do so much with inconsistent selections alongside him.

Markis- Now we're talking....and he cost 300k! Really needs to step up...

Moussa- While everyone was getting off on this guy having some decent games for previous clubs I wasn't convinced. So far he's been a waste of time and his physical condition suggests he's seen better days. His career suggests he's far from Conference standard though.

This squad isn't as good as last season despite what Stef Gamble says. However it's better than fifth bottom imo.

The club has lost a lot of continuity, not just from the good players leaving like Henry, Sawyers and Bradshaw but also the ones UTS were happy to slag off regularly like Mantom and Downing.

They knew league one and fitted into the system and style of play well, the new recruits pretty much don't,

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:38 pm

Just a few brief points regarding some of the comments:

1. Suddenly Downing was great but not only did Barnsley stroll straight past him in the play offs but so did northampton last week.
2. The new signings are not up to it but was it not Chambers who gave the ball away for the first goal
3. The trouble at the end was awful but could the saddlers fans leaving with 5 minutes to go and who were old enough to :( know better, calling the home fans out for a scrap have had anything to do with it?
4. Northampton might be poor but its now 31 league games without losing and they must do something right so what gave us the god given right to beat them?

It's ok blaming the new recruits, it's ok blaming the manager but 6 games is not enough and most of the comments are unfair at this stage of the season. We have a good squad and we will see that in time.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:07 am

Optimistic wrote:Just a few brief points regarding some of the comments:

1. Suddenly Downing was great but not only did Barnsley stroll straight past him in the play offs but so did northampton last week.
2. The new signings are not up to it but was it not Chambers who gave the ball away for the first goal
3. The trouble at the end was awful but could the saddlers fans leaving with 5 minutes to go and who were old enough to :( know better, calling the home fans out for a scrap have had anything to do with it?
4. Northampton might be poor but its now 31 league games without losing and they must do something right so what gave us the god given right to beat them?

It's ok blaming the new recruits, it's ok blaming the manager but 6 games is not enough and most of the comments are unfair at this stage of the season. We have a good squad and we will see that in time.

Seriously though, please elaborate on your good squad comment?

3 of yesterday's back 4 were loan players , Moussa is Fat, and Osbourne and Flo won't start anymore than 20 games each.

I don't get it

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:49 am

Those highlights are scary, defensively we didn't get close to them, chasing shadows is an understatement

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:43 pm

This is my third season of getting back into things - Season ticket holder and attend about 50% of aways. I can't help but feel down about how things are going..I feel over the previous 2 years (god knows how I'm saying this about the 14/15 season but...) we were somewhat spoilt, our team was well built and had gone through lots together...

Yesterday - Awful. I can't really remember much of the game, they didn't really threaten that much I didn't think?! And we didn't threaten at all. Bakayoko had a good chance that he created single handedly in the first half and he had a shot in the second.

Chambers gets himself in some great positions but never shoots, I think every footballer should be willing to have a shot, left back, centre half, striker, whoever you are you should be able to have a go and think you can beat the keeper.

One bright light - Ama.

Onto tuesday we go...god help us.

Larryhaggler1

Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:29 pm

We were truly awful yesterday.
I'm so glad JW states in the press that they have been working on being much more defensive in last 2 weeks, just wondering what that was exactly ?
We carried zero goal threat, didn't pick up their runners and did not win a second ball all game.
We were Far to slow and pedestrian across the back and the middle.

Far to many youth team and inexperienced players in the first 11.
Moussa looked so heavy along with the Scunthorpe 3rd choice LB. give me Milan and Andy Taylor any day of the week.

Significant questions need to be asked even this early, tactics, fitness, shape, and most of all recruitment - a back four of loan players and a relegated right back

At least the bank balance looks healthy Jeff .................

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:59 pm

Larryhaggler1 wrote:We were truly awful yesterday.
I'm so glad JW states in the press that they have been working on being much more defensive in last 2 weeks, just wondering what that was exactly ?
We carried zero goal threat, didn't pick up their runners and did not win a second ball all game.
We were Far to slow and pedestrian across the back and the middle.

Far to many youth team and inexperienced players in the first 11.
Moussa looked so heavy along with the Scunthorpe 3rd choice LB. give me Milan and Andy Taylor any day of the week.

Significant questions need to be asked even this early, tactics, fitness, shape, and most of all recruitment - a back four of loan players and a relegated right back

At least the bank balance looks healthy Jeff .................

sssshhhhh, you should know by now that it all goes on 'infrastructure'! Magnificent ground improvements (paint on some of the breeze block), improved training facilities (new set of cones), player recruitment ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ), new carpet in the Bonser suite (doormat), the list goes on and on, we are soooo lucky to have a well run Fourth Division club. We should all be proud. In 2022 we could draw Accrington Stanley in the first round of the SKY F.A. Cup at our place, as an EvoStik North club that will be a money spinner!!
Will our 'situation' ever change? Certainly not in my lifetime, best of luck you young 'un's, you too could have 50 odd years
of this to look forward too. :oops:

SWS1

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Harry wrote:

I tend to agree with Harry. :(

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season