Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town (A) League One, 10th Sept 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Northampton Town (A) League One, 10th Sept 3pm

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:29 pm

Currently in the bottom 4....sort it out Whatney. I didn't expect much of this season but the squad is better than a relegation battle. :roll:

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:29 pm

Goal given away from a Walsall free kick inside the centre circle. Instead of passing the ball forwards, as usual Chambers makes a back pass to McCarthy who tries give to it back to him, it never reaches Chambers and an easy chance to Northampton.

Why are our free kicks in the middle of the field so useless?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:43 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Currently in the bottom 4....sort it out Whatney. I didn't expect much of this season but the squad is better than a relegation battle. :roll:

Not good, we all had such high hopes as the season began, we are now in the relegation zone and Whitney can't pick a winning team from so many talented individuals, can see Bonser's enthusiasm waning a little if this frailty continues.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:50 pm

A few half chances.
Other than that a lot of dross.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:52 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Currently in the bottom 4....sort it out Whatney. I didn't expect much of this season but the squad is better than a relegation battle. :roll:

Not good, we all had such high hopes as the season began, we are now in the relegation zone and Whitney can't pick a winning team from so many talented individuals, can see Bonser's enthusiasm waning a little if this frailty continues.

I said after the playoff games that Whitney was looking useless, but how long do we give him?

Gamble has gone on record saying that he thinks this squad is better man-for-man than last seasons.

If we're bottom 4 by the end of Sept, how does Gamble tally his opinion with the cold hard fact of the league table?

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Bonser has enthusiasm?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:01 pm

601 Saddlers in a 5,538 crowd.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Moussa on for Kouhyar, 57 minutes

Jackson on for Kinsella, 66 minutes

Walsall yellow card (Jason McCarthy)......followed by

Northampton's 2nd goal!!! 2-0 now :(

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:36 pm

penalty to them :(

BornASaddler

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:38 pm

What a load of cobblers 2-0 to the mighty Northampton Town

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:38 pm

McCarthy handball in the box. Not had the best of games has he?

barnslanesaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Probably because he is not a centre half and our clueless manager should have realised this by now.

barnslanesaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:42 pm

Our fans are singing your even worse than O'Driscoll

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:43 pm

Makris on for Kieron Morris, 80 minutes

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:43 pm

2-0....was a penalty or something.

All over for day and I'd dismiss Whitney if Walsall lose at Bristol. Early but I can already see this season won't have a happy ending if he lasts the full season, the warning signings are already there.

Defence can't keep clean sheets and he can't make up his mind who to play in attack.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:49 pm

Just walked out - absolute pathetic

Were going down - Whitney Out !!!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:49 pm

barnslanesaddler wrote:Probably because he is not a centre half and our clueless manager should have realised this by now.

He also seems unable to change a game in our favour. Some strange selections today even if we do have injuries. Two rookie centre halves against a side like Northampton? Ditto Kinsella in the middle? I'm trying to reserve judgement but it's not looking hopeful.

BornASaddler

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:51 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:2-0....was a penalty or something.

All over for day and I'd dismiss Whitney if Walsall lose at Bristol. Early but I can already see this season won't have a happy ending if he lasts the full season, the warning signings are already there.

Defence can't keep clean sheets and he can't make up his mind who to play in attack.

When's SOD coming back ? < just a joke !! >

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:57 pm

and to cap it all mick kearns has stated that northampton are a very very poor team :|

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Mick Kearns very downbeat ...' lack of drive & commitment ..... if we don't put it right we are in for a depressing season... I didn't see much belief out there.'

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Unimpressed, unenthused. A long, tedious depresseing season in prospect.

barnslanesaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:02 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
barnslanesaddler wrote:Probably because he is not a centre half and our clueless manager should have realised this by now.

He also seems unable to change a game in our favour. Some strange selections today even if we do have injuries. Two rookie centre halves against a side like Northampton? Ditto Kinsella in the middle? I'm trying to reserve judgement but it's not looking hopeful.

That's why an experienced six foot plus centre half should have been signed in pre season and also our former physio manager should not have signed so many players with such poor injury records.

Kinsella in midfield just does not work, again our clueless manager should have known that from the Chesterfield match where he was abysmal.

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:06 pm

Whitney!!

Time to go i think , clueless , dreadful and without passion . And i took a days leave and drove for two hours to see that.

We will be spending the rest of the season constantly battleing relegation.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:30 pm

Waiting to hear Whitney's comments.

I wonder if he will complain about lack of passion, commitment and fight. Will he say that our players were not prepared to put their bodies on the line, and so on.

Rather than recognise that the problem this season is:

Weird team selection, a poor tactical set-up, and an unbalanced squad with too many injury-prone players.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:46 pm

Load of shite! Whitney out!

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:46 pm

Awful team, performance, tactics. I think all the posters on this board who said it was going to be an absolute disaster have been proved exactly right. Despite being told. Moaners, whingers.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Happydays2122 wrote:Awful team, performance, tactics. I think all the posters on this board who said it was going to be an absolute disaster have been proved exactly right. Despite being told. Moaners, whingers.

For me it was as plain as day - our complete capitulation in the playoffs was a massive, flashing warning sign with bells on it.

As I've said on other threads, it really surprised me that the board made him manager, it's a massive risk to gamble such good progress on someone so inexperienced.

I think making him interim manager last season after SOD was discipline...err...sacked was probably the right decision to keep continuity and to not rock the boat any more. But in the close season, with such a massive upheaval it was a chance to start afresh with a solid choice as manager. Instead we've gambled a lot of Whitney's "passion".

PhilTheSaddler on 20th May 2016 wrote:No, no, no to Whitney as manager.

It'd be like Merson all over again. The lack of organisation last night was an absolute disgrace, no one had any idea what they were supposed to be doing.

We stood very little chance of getting anything out of the game at all, never mind going through, last night, so to shake up the team so radically and remove any organisation was just asking for trouble. We ended up getting beaten 3-1, and I think it's fair to say Barnsley didn't break in to a sweat, we made them look like a class act through our disorganisation.

We might still have the basis of a very good team next year - the likes of JD, Neil, JOC, AC and possibly TB, with potential cash to spend from RH and a good set of attendances this season, let's not ruin that by giving it to a manager with no track record who has made some very poor decisions.

georgekirby11

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:25 pm

Just back from the game. When I saw the team selection I was gobsmacked. Kouyar, Kinsella both in midfielsd and the bench warmers including Jackson, Moussa and Makris.
The net result was a midfield of midgets and players who could be bullied out of the game. This game ranks as one of the worst Walsall performances i have seen in years. There goalie did not have a shot to save. As another user predicted Revell won nearly everything in the air, thankfully most of his flick ons came to nothing.
Etheridge played well abd I thought Morris and Babyoko tried hard with little glimpses. Toner looks promising and will be ok. When Makris came on he looked as if he has had all of the confidence knocked out of him.
The rest, well they are not good enough, particularly the defensive unit.
Tactics were non exsistent, confidence is shattered, team selection chronic and i am afraid we WILL be relegated unless we get rid of Whitney very quickly.
Even our away support which was proud and loud before kick off, started to drift away 10 minutes before the end.
Whitney must go, the sooner the better

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:29 pm

I'm sticking to my prediction. Completely cut adrift by Christmas.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:30 pm

When I seen the team sheet I actually had 2nd thoughts of actually entering the ground. Defeat was wrote all over it.. He loves a curve ball.

Couple of things of other points..

The coaching team a Physio come manager and Holden who failed badly at Oldham so these performances are no real surprise are they??

Oh and Moussa is actually fat!! What's happening there??

I genuinely believe this team is going down and that's not a heated reaction that's based on the dross I am watching.

UTS

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season