Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Grimsby Town (H) Checkatrade Trophy 30 Aug 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Grimsby Town (H) Checkatrade Trophy 30 Aug 7.45pm

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:33 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Gripper wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
wednesburysaddler wrote:anyone got a link to tonights attendances

be good to see highest and lowest

checkatrade haven't updated their website and no mention of any games as far as I can see

461 at Wimbledon for the visit of Swansea.....

Do hope at least half of those were Swansea, Wimbledon fans should know better surely?
wouldn't it be sad if we had the highest crowd tonight :|

Not really. I get the reason why many fans have boycotted the competition, and I agree with the sentiment that it will hopefully make the FA/Football League or whoever runs the competition re-think for next season. We had a significantly lower crowd there tonight, less than a thousand home fans (I would say about than half what the attendance would have been if it had been in the normal format), but to say it is bad/sad that those 900 odd that turned is a bit harsh. Those that feel strongly enough not to go didn't, and those who still wanted to go watch it did. Fair play to them I say.

Sounded like we played quite well. Pleased for Bakayoko, hopefully this gives him confidence to grab a few in the league now.
Was this Grimsby's first team or did they have their reserves out too?
sorry cumbria. i didn't mean it to sound like that. what i meant was it would look like we had let the boycott down :wink:

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:36 pm

Mike T. wrote:
chunkster wrote:i think the git that thought up this silly format is hoping that the crowds will get better as the competition goes on. as i see it i think that they will get better because the under 23 teams will be out long before the final.
7 of the under 21's went out tonight and 4 went through

Do you not grasp the concept of the Group Stage? Nobody "went out tonight". There are still 2 games to play in the group - and every other group.

I don't think many of these U23 teams will be as good as a few maybe expected, only 3 got a win tonight.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:40 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:"Official" attendance 1,022 (66 from Grimsby).

Official does not necessarily mean accurate........

I've seen less Grimsby fans for league games in the not too distant past! :?

I doubt it. I would bet my house on the fact they have never brought less than 66.

Hmmmm you maybe right.

During Big Fat Jan's era they brought what to my eye looked about 50 in the lowest Walsall attendance I've ever been in for a League Game at Bescot. But these were before the days when away attendances were revealed I think.

Funny, they used to have an appalling following, especially when you consider they were in the equivalent to the Championship, but their time in the non-league seems to have seen them regroup a little.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:47 pm

chunkster wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:
Not really. I get the reason why many fans have boycotted the competition, and I agree with the sentiment that it will hopefully make the FA/Football League or whoever runs the competition re-think for next season. We had a significantly lower crowd there tonight, less than a thousand home fans (I would say about than half what the attendance would have been if it had been in the normal format), but to say it is bad/sad that those 900 odd that turned is a bit harsh. Those that feel strongly enough not to go didn't, and those who still wanted to go watch it did. Fair play to them I say.

Sounded like we played quite well. Pleased for Bakayoko, hopefully this gives him confidence to grab a few in the league now.
Was this Grimsby's first team or did they have their reserves out too?
sorry cumbria. i didn't mean it to sound like that. what i meant was it would look like we had let the boycott down :wink:

I get what you mean Chunkster, it was still an obviously low attendance.
A lot of people don't bother with these cup games anyway, so I think it would have been about 2000 in the normal format. And I guess that leaves at least 1000 who have definitely decided not to go because obvious reasons (some of those who say they are boycotting maybe wouldn't have attended against a Lg2 in the JPT anyway - that's not a dig at all, just it is always low crowds).
But you will always get people who turn up, I think maybe some older supporters who don't use the internet/social media (where a lot of the talk of boycotting has taken place) will always turn up - no disrespect to any older posters on here :wink:
Add in the parents who are pestered by their kids to take them and those who just wanted to see a game for something to do.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:49 pm

Mike T. wrote:
chunkster wrote:i think the git that thought up this silly format is hoping that the crowds will get better as the competition goes on. as i see it i think that they will get better because the under 23 teams will be out long before the final.
7 of the under 21's went out tonight and 4 went through

Do you not grasp the concept of the Group Stage? Nobody "went out tonight". There are still 2 games to play in the group - and every other group.
oh right. so it is not a knockout like before? :?: no i didn't know

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:50 pm

DavidWFC2010 wrote:Who was the last saddler to get a hat-trick? Ishy?

Tom Bradshaw v Notts Forest and before that Febian Brandy v Notts County. We need to be playing teams from the East Midlands area more!

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:53 pm

So, if I read the Checkatrade site correctly that's £10,000 into the coffers + whatever the attendance bought in.

Checkatrade will be really happy as well - many football fans will have visited their web site who wouldn't have done otherwise.
They just need to get their stuff up to date as it happens - but I suppose it's early days.

Now lets see - I need to organise a tradesman for mom....

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:53 pm

chunkster wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Walsall 0 Grimsby Town 1 (3 minutes) :roll:
:lol: classic

Even the kids can't hack it! :oops:
looks like jw is instilling the same ethic of fitness over skill into them as well :lol:

Oh ye of little faith. :roll:

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:59 pm

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:59 pm

Optimistic wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Walsall 0 Grimsby Town 1 (3 minutes) :roll:
:lol: classic

Even the kids can't hack it! :oops:
looks like jw is instilling the same ethic of fitness over skill into them as well :lol:

Oh ye of little faith. :roll:
ooooh you couldn't resist that could you :lol: :wink:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:13 pm

Sorry chunkster, I really couldn't. When I saw you siding with AM it was a case of two birds with one stone. :oops:

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:07 am

chriss5471 wrote:

Tom Bradshaw v Notts Forest and before that Febian Brandy v Notts County. We need to be playing teams from the East Midlands area more!

Good point

Junior got a hat trick against Derby. :)

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:56 am

Andy_Petterson wrote:
chriss5471 wrote:

Good point

Junior got a hat trick against Derby. :)

I forgot that one! Maybe we should build our own ground in Long Eaton and just play from there!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:09 am

Any danger of a match report?

Anyone?

Preferably by someone who was there. :D

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:37 am

Leatherman wrote:Any danger of a match report?

Anyone?

Talk about narrowing it down! 75% of our first team weren't there never mind any fans!

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:50 am

I was there, no point on doing a match report out of this nothing game, Grimsby were poor and never offered us a real test.

Yet we still gave them 2 goals, we could of had 8-9 without really getting out of second/third gear but I dont think they got out of 1st.

Result merely papers over the cracks for a while, we are dreadful at the back yet we can generally score with ease going forward.

The season so far speaks for itself 7 games played 12 goals scored, 12 goals conceded.

Distinctly average players/team.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:53 am

chriss5471 wrote:
Leatherman wrote:Any danger of a match report?

Anyone?

Talk about narrowing it down! 75% of our first team weren't there never mind any fans!

Perhaps this might have some bearing on the fact that THIS team actually won a match, albeit against newcomer 4th Division opposition!
When I saw that central pairing of Dobson & Kinsella :cry: :cry: ....only Whitney could have thought that up in a moment of utter despair! :( Yet we scored 5, and improved on Saturdays defensive mayhem by 33%!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:58 am

Can only think some of those away attendances were bulked up by family and friends going to watch, particularly the under 23 teams.

Would you really trek up to Grimsby to watch "Walsall under 23s" for example?!

Harry
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:03 am

Despite my best intentions I found myself at the match.

For the first fifteen minutes Walsall were abysmal, dodgy in defence and unable to keep the ball. The only question was how many Grimsby would score, so Bakayoko's first goal came as a surprise. For the rest of the match the sides were quite even, with Walsall winning because of superior creativity and finishing.

This result was very welcome, but it does not disguise the real weaknesses we have in the team: namely a very poor defence and an unbalanced squad.

MacGillivray: I would say he looks as good Ethridge, no problems.

Edwards: As usual he was weak at stopping the winger getting past him, but OK on the ball

McCarthy: He is not a centre back and will never be a centre back. He does not like heading the ball unless there is no opposition player within five yards of him. He NEVER wins a contested header. He is a huge weakness in the team and should never be played in the middle of the defence.

Preston: He headed the ball about ten times as often as McCarthy. We know he is very rough and ready, but at least he has some idea of the duties of a centre back.

Cockerill-Mollett: Struggled throughout, but I suppose the experience will have done him good.

Kinsella: Still looks like a kid, and plays like a kid. OK in flashes but he does not do enough.

Dobson: Younger than Kinsella and much less experienced, but he looks a more mature player. Makes mistakes, but he has to be preferred to Kinsella because he is in the game a lot more.

Oztumer: Was given more space in the middle than usual and took advantage of it.

Morris: A good game, but again showed that he is not a winger. He is much happier in the middle of the park than down the touchline.

Bakayoko: After 21 short substitute appearances over three seasons, finally he is given a start. He not only scores his first goal, but gets a hat trick. It is ridiculous that he was not seen more last season. He now must be given a run in the team.

Kouhyar: Tried hard, but is not ready for the first team. Took his goal very well - it was probably harder than the two chances missed by Simeon Jackson on Saturday.

Ginnelly: He is a genuine winger, probably the only one we have in the first team squad, and looked promising.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:00 am

Maybe a tad harsh there, Harry. Grimsby have the confidence of a team that won promotion, last season. Defensively, they were suspect and Bakayoko gave them a torrid time. However, I thought that, attacking-wise, they posed a threat even allowing for our occasional fragility in defence and midfield.

Harry wrote:MacGillivray: I would say he looks as good Etheridge, no problems. Agreed

Edwards: As usual he was weak at stopping the winger getting past him, but OK on the ball. I didn't think that he was THAT weak.

McCarthy: He is not a centre back and will never be a centre back. He does not like heading the ball unless there is no opposition player within five yards of him. He NEVER wins a contested header. He is a huge weakness in the team and should never be played in the middle of the defence. Can't agree that he is a "huge weakness" and he is by no means our worst header of the ball

Preston: He headed the ball about ten times as often as McCarthy. We know he is very rough and ready, but at least he has some idea of the duties of a centre back. Strong, aggressive player but still too error-prone. VERY lucky not to have been sent off in the closing minutes, last night.

Cockerill-Mollett: Struggled throughout, but I suppose the experience will have done him good. Agreed

Kinsella: Still looks like a kid, and plays like a kid. OK in flashes but he does not do enough. Agreed

Dobson: Younger than Kinsella and much less experienced, but he looks a more mature player. Makes mistakes, but he has to be preferred to Kinsella because he is in the game a lot more. Agreed. The grumbling of some supporters when he makes a mistake is very irritating. He never hides and will only get better.

Oztumer: Was given more space in the middle than usual and took advantage of it. I just wish he would make his very entertaining mazy dribbles in the opposing penalty-are instead of outside it. He would win more penalties than Brandy did!

Morris: A good game, but again showed that he is not a winger. He is much happier in the middle of the park than down the touchline. Agreed

Bakayoko: After 21 short substitute appearances over three seasons, finally he is given a start. He not only scores his first goal, but gets a hat trick. It is ridiculous that he was not seen more last season. He now must be given a run in the team. Hear! Hear!

Kouhyar: Tried hard, but is not ready for the first team. Took his goal very well - it was probably harder than the two chances missed by Simeon Jackson on Saturday. Agreed

Ginnelly: He is a genuine winger, probably the only one we have in the first team squad, and looked promising. I'm reserving judgement.

If Rico Henry is replaced (Scott Laird from Scunthorpe??), then this really will be Whitney's team with only Etheridge, O'Connor and Chambers from the Smith/ O'Dismal era. I just hope that he learns a damn sight quicker than Dean Smith did.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:18 am

Harry wrote:Despite my best intentions I found myself at the match.

For the first fifteen minutes Walsall were abysmal, dodgy in defence and unable to keep the ball. The only question was how many Grimsby would score, so Bakayoko's first goal came as a surprise. For the rest of the match the sides were quite even, with Walsall winning because of superior creativity and finishing.

This result was very welcome, but it does not disguise the real weaknesses we have in the team: namely a very poor defence and an unbalanced squad.

MacGillivray: I would say he looks as good Ethridge, no problems.

Edwards: As usual he was weak at stopping the winger getting past him, but OK on the ball

McCarthy: He is not a centre back and will never be a centre back. He does not like heading the ball unless there is no opposition player within five yards of him. He NEVER wins a contested header. He is a huge weakness in the team and should never be played in the middle of the defence.

Preston: He headed the ball about ten times as often as McCarthy. We know he is very rough and ready, but at least he has some idea of the duties of a centre back.

Cockerill-Mollett: Struggled throughout, but I suppose the experience will have done him good.

Kinsella: Still looks like a kid, and plays like a kid. OK in flashes but he does not do enough.

Dobson: Younger than Kinsella and much less experienced, but he looks a more mature player. Makes mistakes, but he has to be preferred to Kinsella because he is in the game a lot more.

Oztumer: Was given more space in the middle than usual and took advantage of it.

Morris: A good game, but again showed that he is not a winger. He is much happier in the middle of the park than down the touchline.

Bakayoko: After 21 short substitute appearances over three seasons, finally he is given a start. He not only scores his first goal, but gets a hat trick. It is ridiculous that he was not seen more last season. He now must be given a run in the team.

Kouhyar: Tried hard, but is not ready for the first team. Took his goal very well - it was probably harder than the two chances missed by Simeon Jackson on Saturday.

Ginnelly: He is a genuine winger, probably the only one we have in the first team squad, and looked promising.

Cheers Harry.

Much appreciated. :D

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:49 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:I was there, no point on doing a match report out of this nothing game, Grimsby were poor and never offered us a real test.

Yet we still gave them 2 goals, we could of had 8-9 without really getting out of second/third gear but I dont think they got out of 1st.

Result merely papers over the cracks for a while, we are dreadful at the back yet we can generally score with ease going forward.

The season so far speaks for itself 7 games played 12 goals scored, 12 goals conceded.

Distinctly average players/team.

Good to see such a well balanced, unbiased report. :mrgreen:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:10 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:I was there, no point on doing a match report out of this nothing game, Grimsby were poor and never offered us a real test.

Apart from when they scored in the first 5 :roll:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:56 pm

I agree with the comments by Harry combined with the input from Pedagogue.

Grimsby were poor but they had some big players and were a threat with constant long balls. Our first choice team struggles with teams like this and had we lost it would not have been a surprise. However, there was still moans from some people when one of the youngsters made a mistake!

Therefore to win 5-2 with what was basically an under 23 side, which the higher divisions struggled to win with on the night, is an achievement in itself. We do look weak in defence at times but in fairness they stood up well to the big guys on free kicks etc and only let two in. I think that overall we have a good squad this season with some decent young players coming through. We may let in some goals but we look as if we can score more and that gets you 3 points.

Time will tell but I realise that argument does not wear well with some saddlers fans.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:08 pm

Optimistic wrote:I agree with the comments by Harry combined with the input from Pedagogue.

Grimsby were poor but they had some big players and were a threat with constant long balls. Our first choice team struggles with teams like this and had we lost it would not have been a surprise. However, there was still moans from some people when one of the youngsters made a mistake!

Therefore to win 5-2 with what was basically an under 23 side, which the higher divisions struggled to win with on the night, is an achievement in itself. We do look weak in defence at times but in fairness they stood up well to the big guys on free kicks etc and only let two in. I think that overall we have a good squad this season with some decent young players coming through. We may let in some goals but we look as if we can score more and that gets you 3 points.

Time will tell but I realise that argument does nyot wear well with some saddlers fans.

It's the world of instant gratification that raises the expectations of the 'Younger Generation' and causes so much unhappiness that is to blame... :mrgreen:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:22 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Optimistic wrote:I agree with the comments by Harry combined with the input from Pedagogue.

Time will tell but I realise that argument does not wear well with some saddlers fans.

It's the world of instant gratification that raises the expectations of the 'Younger Generation' and causes so much unhappiness that is to blame... :mrgreen:

Thanks Leatherman, I will give that comment some thought.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:57 pm

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:08 pm

Harry wrote:Morris: A good game, but again showed that he is not a winger. He is much happier in the middle of the park than down the touchline.

I'm happy with Morris staying on the wing. His goal against Charlton seems to have triggered some form. 3 in 3 now isn't it?

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:09 pm

i know it was only against lower opposition. but there was some lovely attacking football played by us leading up to some lovely taken goals.if we can just sort out the defence i think we will be ok. pity bakayako didn't have a bigger stage for his hat trick :(

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:31 pm

I was there nothing to shout about but a win is a win with the bonus of 5 goals.

We looked good going forward all 5 goals were well worked.

MacGillivray was like dracula never came for a cross or corner.

Defence poor as bad as Bury game not sure if McCarthy will make it as CB in lower leagues against big strikers who like pushing you around,a bit different Prem and under 21 forward who are not so physical.

Let's hope Chambers and Osborne stay fit, Kinsella and Dobson not good enough yet to replace them.

Bakayoko showed what he can do when played in right position deserves to start a league game but not on wing.

Whitney gave his usual halftime talk we came out asleep again for 20 mins lucky Grimsby did nottake advantage like Bury.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season