Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Grimsby Town (H) Checkatrade Trophy 30 Aug 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Grimsby Town (H) Checkatrade Trophy 30 Aug 7.45pm

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:25 pm

One blessed relief - at least our 5 goals ensured that we didn't get James McKeown's mother posting her critical comments on UTS! (One for the slightly older UTSers, there).

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:07 am

Edwards with three assists? :shock:

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Pedagogue wrote:One blessed relief - at least our 5 goals ensured that we didn't get James McKeown's mother posting her critical comments on UTS! (One for the slightly older UTSers, there).

I thought that when I heard he'd played :lol:

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:33 pm

Pedagogue wrote:One blessed relief - at least our 5 goals ensured that we didn't get James McKeown's mother posting her critical comments on UTS! (One for the slightly older UTSers, there).

Do tell........please .

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Optimistic wrote:Sorry chunkster, I really couldn't. When I saw you siding with AM it was a case of two birds with one stone. :oops:

I can't be bothered to go to no stoning, I've not been well again!! :lol: :lol: (with apologies to The life of Brian)

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:42 pm

Kevlar wrote:

Do tell........please .

Me too...I know he was at Walsall as a kid but did he ever play?

I was in the same year as him at School you see....

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:23 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Kevlar wrote:

Do tell........please .

Me too...I know he was at Walsall as a kid but did he ever play?

I was in the same year as him at School you see....

James was an apprentice at WFC, joining us in 2004, and was quite a good goalkeeper. Unfortunately, the competition for the first team goalkeeper spot in 2006-07 was too strong and he never actually made an appearance in the first team although he may have been on the bench (stattos can always check this). He was released in 2007 but this fired a sense of injustice in his mother who took to the pages of UTS to vent her spleen at the club.

James joined Peterborough United and, while there, was capped for the Republic of Ireland U19 team and later a substitute for the U21 Irish team. He has ended up at Grimsby Town after loan spells with Kettering, Worcester and Boston (and a spell in Holland). I remember watching him play at Wembley, a couple of years ago, for the Mariners against Wrexham and he had a storming game.

I expect that he has got over the embarrassment of his mother's outburst by now! :D

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season