Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (H) League One, 27th August 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Re: Bury (H) League One, 27th August 3pm

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:07 am

Guest wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
The Red Prince wrote:Chambers makes all the difference, trust me, if him and Osbourne can stay fit and see out the season then we'll be ok.

Osbourne off after 43 minutes, injured. You had to tempt fate, didn't you? :mrgreen: Fortunately we don't have another League One game for a fortnight, so perhaps he will be restored to 100% by then.

3-0 at half-time is a situation that makes me very happy!!! I might even want to see the highlights later.....

Just for you, Welsh.

https://youtu.be/Wo2mAMXKmj4

I am so annoyed!

Not with the team but with the 'fans' who cannot seem to understand that we are supposed to be supporters, try looking up the definition. This is why I am annoyed:

1. When Barsley used quality loan players people asked why can't we do that
2. We have quality young players and still some 'supporters' Boo them (it matters not that it was full time) no wonder Walsall is the most miserable place to live! (basic parenting skills)
3. We bring in players such as Cuvelier, Osbourne and Mousa to name just 3 players who are clearly a league above and people still question the logic of taking on 'crocked' players. If they were always fully fit they would not be here!
4. At last we have a positive, motivational, enthusiastic manager who tells it as it is and although this is what everyone asked for suddenly after 5 games it's not good enough.
5. We play 45 minutes and score 3 good goals (check the goals), Bury then play 45 minutes and (in my opinion) score 3 lucky goals. If we can score 3 goals in the first half why is it such a shock that they can score 3 goals in the second 45 minutes. I will tell you why: if it was the other way round the manager and the team would be hero's now.

Some people need to get a life, this is football and it is a marathon, not a sprint.

It will be alright in the end and if it's not alright it's not the end.

Disclaimer: That's my opinion, other opinions may be available elsewhere.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:44 am

PT wrote:Oh and just like some of our defending was shocking so was some of our support. No problem with boos on final whistle but some people need to get some serious perspective.
me and most people i have spoke to before the season started would be happy with a mid table finish.blame the club for raising expectations by mentioning promotion when most fans are not really expecting it this season.they have put pressure on themselves so when fans start moaning they only have themselves to blame this time.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:47 am

Optimistic wrote:
Guest wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
The Red Prince wrote:Chambers makes all the difference, trust me, if him and Osbourne can stay fit and see out the season then we'll be ok.

Osbourne off after 43 minutes, injured. You had to tempt fate, didn't you? :mrgreen: Fortunately we don't have another League One game for a fortnight, so perhaps he will be restored to 100% by then.

3-0 at half-time is a situation that makes me very happy!!! I might even want to see the highlights later.....

Just for you, Welsh.

https://youtu.be/Wo2mAMXKmj4

I am so annoyed!
msot people on here go home and away that i know to so they are more than entitled to there opinion on todays game.if they think it was rubbish they can say it thats what a forum is for.
Not with the team but with the 'fans' who cannot seem to understand that we are supposed to be supporters, try looking up the definition. This is why I am annoyed:

2. We have quality young players and still some 'supporters' Boo them (it matters not that it was full time) no wonder Walsall is the most miserable place to live! (basic parenting skills)
3. We bring in players such as Cuvelier, Osbourne and Mousa to name just 3 players who are clearly a league above and people still question the logic of taking on 'crocked' players. If they were always fully fit they would not be here!
4. At last we have a positive, motivational, enthusiastic manager who tells it as it is and although this is what everyone asked for suddenly after 5 games it's not good enough.
5. We play 45 minutes and score 3 good goals (check the goals), Bury then play 45 minutes and (in my opinion) score 3 lucky goals. If we can score 3 goals in the first half why is it such a shock that they can score 3 goals in the second 45 minutes. I will tell you why: if it was the other way round the manager and the team would be hero's now.

Some people need to get a life, this is football and it is a marathon, not a sprint.

It will be alright in the end and if it's not alright it's not the end.

Disclaimer: That's my opinion, other opinions may be available elsewhere.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:41 am

Optimistic wrote:
I am so annoyed!

Difficult to accept much of that tbh.

1/ Barnsley signed some proven talent at first team level we've signed players who have shined in youth teams only. Big difference.
2/ I agree that booing during the game is out of order but at full time I think people have a right to demonstrate whether they think their time and money has been well spent.
3/ If the majority of the experienced players we have signed or re-signed are unavailable, would it not have been better to sign less numbers but less fragility? I can't see how having a line of permanantly broken colleagues around the place can do anyone any good.
4/ The Paul Merson comparison is easy. The vast majority of successful modern managers do not call out their players in public, especially when those players are so young. You seem to be suggesting that the paying punter can't criticise the team and if they do, they have been brought up wrong, but it is OK for the manager to go on the wireless and effectively boo them. Hmmm. Also, those "telling it as it is" sound bites need some integrity. You can't say that in the next game the players are playing for contract offers, they don't turn up in said game and then you still offer them all a contract. You just lose credibility inside and outside the club.
5/ This is the best one. Our goals are all well crafted and theirs are all lucky! Brilliant.

But - keep being Optimistic - I genuinely think it provides a bit of balance and to be fair we do need some ridiculous optimism in a bid to create anything like a balance.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:27 am

Fair enough PT, I did say it was only my opinion.

However, I will clarify the parenting skills bit and explain that what I was referring to was that we have young players and we need to make them as confident as possible. I don't think booing at any stage of the game is fair for a new squad who obviously already knew what had just happened.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:26 am

Optimistic wrote:Fair enough PT, I did say it was only my opinion.

Cheers & respect your opinion. :D

Brandon Flowers
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:11 am

Just watched the goals back and McCarthys poor ability in the air contributes to all 3 Bury goals!
He did ok at full back, but I don't think he's the answer at centre half.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:28 pm

I agree with that Brandon...indeed he was the subject of the programme interview on Saturday and revealed he had played most of his games at Wycombe at full back. I am not surprised yet we sign him as our main centre half!!Incidentally I thought Toner was ok yesterday. Maybe a back four of Edwards,O'conner,Toner and Henry would do a job.
Anyway it is early days yet and whilst not sharing all the views of "Optimistic" I do think we have to be patient and give the players maximum support in the coming weeks. We clearly have some very useful forward players and will cause teams a lot of problems.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:05 pm

That was very similar to the Wimbeldon game, except this time the opposition took their chances.

We got ourselves 3-0 up without ever dominating the game, if anything Bury had slightly more of the play. We were ruthless though and should have had at least one more with Jackson missing two very good chances.

Second half we were overpowered and battered from the kick-off. Whitney is often portrayed as a non-nonsense, man motivator, but this is the fourth lilly-livered collapse we've had to endure in his short reign.

The loss of Osborne was a huge blow, he was solid and gave us some much-needed physicality, without it our team our youngsters were bullied into submission.

The pressure never relented as our long balls to Jackson came straight back. I thought Whitney was trying to address then when Baka came on, but no, we stick with the 4-2-3-1 and Baka plays on the left wing.

Thoughts on a few players:

Makris - Showed his quality by setting up two of the goals. Not great defensively though.

Jackson - Off the ball movement is excellent, but he needs the ball to feet. Has been handed the same thankless task of battling against two monsters that Bradshaw had, but is even less physically suited to it. Would like to see him as part of a front two, but playing two out and out strikers seems to have been outlawed in Walsall.

Dobson - Game passed him by, we really needed a battle-hardened pro to come off the bench, not another inexperienced youngster who hasn't fully developed physically yet.

It's only five games, but I have to say I'm concerned. We are yet to outplay an opponent and three of the teams we've played - Wimbeldon, Oldham and Bury - are all tipped to be relegation-battlers.

We've signed a lot of players, but seem to be lacking a plan for how to use them, other than rigidly sticking to the Dean Smith 4-2-3-1.

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing, but had the board known that essentially a whole new team would have to be put together would they still have given the job to Whitney? It seems a big ask for a novice. Only time will tell if he's up to the task, but I'm getting a bit worried.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:20 pm

pumajaguar wrote:That was very similar to the Wimbeldon game, except this time the opposition took their chances.

We got ourselves 3-0 up without ever dominating the game, if anything Bury had slightly more of the play. We were ruthless though and should have had at least one more with Jackson missing two very good chances.

Second half we were overpowered and battered from the kick-off. Whitney is often portrayed as a non-nonsense, man motivator, but this is the fourth lilly-livered collapse we've had to endure in his short reign.

The loss of Osborne was a huge blow, he was solid and gave us some much-needed physicality, without it our team our youngsters were bullied into submission.

The pressure never relented as our long balls to Jackson came straight back. I thought Whitney was trying to address then when Baka came on, but no, we stick with the 4-2-3-1 and Baka plays on the left wing.
great post agree completely.
Thoughts on a few players:

Makris - Showed his quality by setting up two of the goals. Not great defensively though.

Jackson - Off the ball movement is excellent, but he needs the ball to feet. Has been handed the same thankless task of battling against two monsters that Bradshaw had, but is even less physically suited to it. Would like to see him as part of a front two, but playing two out and out strikers seems to have been outlawed in Walsall.

Dobson - Game passed him by, we really needed a battle-hardened pro to come off the bench, not another inexperienced youngster who hasn't fully developed physically yet.

It's only five games, but I have to say I'm concerned. We are yet to outplay an opponent and three of the teams we've played - Wimbeldon, Oldham and Bury - are all tipped to be relegation-battlers.

We've signed a lot of players, but seem to be lacking a plan for how to use them, other than rigidly sticking to the Dean Smith 4-2-3-1.

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing, but had the board known that essentially a whole new team would have to be put together would they still have given the job to Whitney? It seems a big ask for a novice. Only time will tell if he's up to the task, but I'm getting a bit worried.

redalways

Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Whenever Osbourne is missing there is a massive hole in the centre of midfield. Dobson and Kinsella are a mile short of George Evans and Mantom at his best. My only idea for a replacement when needed, within this squad, is Edwards, but I have not seen him play there.

Why is it Oztumer can not last 90 Minutes?

Why is it we always sign players like Merson, Flo, Bax, Sawyers and Oztumer and insist they play at the expense of a second striker. None of this list can or could offer much in defence and none could be considered a second striker. I thought it was bad enough watching England play with one striker!

4 4 2 for me. There are plenty of teams that play that way and I can not recall too many games when we have looked outstanding with 5 in midfield.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:54 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:this is Bury for god sake. :x

:oops:

Who on earth do you think we are? Manchester United? Make no mistake Bury will come to Walsall expecting to pick up points....

Sit down shut up you happy clapping prat

:lol: :oops:

Was you actually at the game funk ? I presume not but you have a gracious opinion of it because you attend token games.
bleed_red_and_white was actually there and saw first hand what happened.
And you, being the prick you are, mock him with stupid :lol: .
Maybe you should listen to likes of bleed_red_and_white, they attend every game and see it week in week out.
You are a patronising little prick.

Thank you Sir

It says alot about the man when he quotes 5 words of what I said, when the full post spoke nothing but the truth

But I guess me and you aren't in the UTS dont go the games but now better than anyone else crew.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:22 pm

All my original comment suggested was that Bury would not be scared of coming to mighty Walsall & we are one of the teams clubs look to get points off. As your such good supporters I'm sure you have been to Gigg Lane many times like myself and have witnessed that Bury aren't a million miles from Walsall. Furthermore their forum have actually taken the original 'this is only Bury' comment and laughed at it.

First of all I suggest you both learn some manners, then get some perspective. You seem to think just because you go to every game it qualifies you to come on here and spout a load of cack and insults.. Gold star for being embarrassing muppets :lol: but it's okay - you go to every game :?

If it didn't make me look as pathetic as swampy I would comtemplate making a complaint about that completely unjustified post. For your info if you insult someone generally the intended message is completely lost. Thats why I only quoted the insult. Learn to speak with people like an adult and they may listen to what you have to say.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:57 pm

I cant tell weathers its just plain ignorance or you are a complete moron, weather Bury think they can come here and pick up points has got nothing to do with it, we were 3-0 at half time no team should have left with points at that stage, hats off too Bury they should of won.

Why don't you take a look back and see how many people, who actually went the game, reported with words too the same effect as me? Are we all "spouting cack" as you put it? Swampy hit the nail on the head I couldn't put it better myself your a patronising little prick.

Yeah I go too every game I dont brag about it nor do I think it make me anymore a supporter than too people who cant get too the games for whatever reason it may be but I do think going too every game qualifies me to have an opinion if you don't like it then don't read it.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Like I say your points whether valid or not are lost when name calling starts.

This patronising little prick would rather engage with people who possess half a brain in their head and have some idea how to engage with other human beings without reverting to potty mouth, childish insults. So jog on....

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:23 pm

You should applied for the job when Smith left, your insight into games you haven't been too is truely astonishing. :lol:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:33 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:This patronising little prick would rather engage with people who possess half a brain in their head and have some idea how to engage with other human beings without reverting to potty mouth, childish insults. So jog on....

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:03 am

There's no denying that was a disappointing end to what, to all intents and purpose should have been 3 points on the board.

I can understand the frustration and, in some cases outrage (I heard someone ripped up their season ticket in block 4), and think that a lot of this is due to residual frustration at failing to get promotion last season, and then seeing Burton look competent when competing in the Second - I imagine a lot of the new season ticket holders were expecting to be watching us at the higher level when they coughed up for them.

It's a new season and effectively a new team, so our outlook for the coming months should be based on that. Expectations are a little high from some supporters considering the changes.

Moaning about our defence? Take a look at who played and in what position on Saturday. That's the first time they had all been together with positional changes forced on Whitney through injuries. Sometimes it's just bad luck when the result turns out like it did.

The first half showed what this team is capable of and if Jackson had put away the two one-on-ones in the first half not even Lazarus would have come back from that.

Ozzi had a golden opportunity to get a second and Morris' free kick was only just kept out by an excellent save by their keeper either which might have rescued the 3 points for us.

Let's hope that Whitney can lift them for tonight because they will need it; Northampton away is the next league game and that could prove tricky followed by Bristol Rovers away on a Tuesday night then Bolton at home. 9 points on offer and it could be an uphill struggle after that if we don't get more than we lose.

Still, we ay Coventry or Sheffieldld United so life can't be that bad as a Saddler at the moment can it? :D

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:30 pm

We'll be fine. I'm sure Whitney is currently on the training ground shouting Sargent Major style and banging his chest :roll:

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:44 pm

tinned wrote:We'll be fine. I'm sure Whitney is currently on the training ground shouting Sargent Major style and banging his chest :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:08 pm

This scoreline doesn't look so bad after Bury's result today.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:38 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:This game will be the death of Whitney's managerial career.
I think there are a few more that could have that claim to fame now :lol:

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season