Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Charlton Athletic (H) League One, 20th August, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Charlton Athletic (H) League One, 20th August, 3pm

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:20 am

I can say with confidence that the very mention of Charlton Athletic will have Walsall supporters of a certain age reaching for the nearest spittoon, the reason being a match played before any of their current squad were even thought of. I shall now go into "we wuz robbed" mode and reveal all..........

1962/63 season was a strange one for UK football in general, and for Walsall FC in particular. One of the worst winters in living memory meant that we played no competitive football at all from December 15th 1962 until March 2nd 1963, by which time a huge backlog of fixtures had built up. We were in Division II (Now known as The Championship) and our form during March and April was abysmal with relegation almost a certainty. Things looked up in May however when we won 3 games on the trot and when the final game of the season came, all we had to do was draw at home to Charlton Athletic to stay up and send them down to Division III - a Charlton win would keep them up and send us down.

The game was scheduled for Tuesday 21st May, and 18,820 spectators saw the first half end 0-0. Then the heavens opened, the pitch became waterlogged and the match was abandoned, to be hastily re-arranged for the Friday night before the Cup Final on the Saturday. Attendance on the Friday was still high at 16,761 (me included, living in Lancashire I managed to get off work early). We hit the woodwork after 5 minutes, but shortly after that Graham Newton was carried off with a fractured ankle. Things got worse when our goalkeeper Alan Boswell was carried off in the first half with a broken jaw. No substitutes in those days, so I think Granville Palin the full-back went in goal. Graham Newton came back on with a strapped up ankle to hobble around for nuisance value, and of course we let in a couple of soft goals....but being Walsall we had the nerve to claw one back and peppered the Charlton goal in the 2nd half, all to no avail as the game finished 1-2 and we were relegated. We ended up level on points with Charlton but went down because of our inferior goal average.

I've said it was a strange season, and how else can you describe losing at home to promoted Chelsea 1-5 but winning 0-1 at Stamford Bridge? Again, we managed to get thumped 0-6 at home to Newcastle United but won 0-2 at St. James' Park.

Enough of this maudlin wallowing......what of the present day? Well, Charlton have started to improve under new manager Russell Slade, and they have one or two players that could cause us problems - Nicky Ajose was signed from Swindon Town for a reported fee of around £800,000, and you may remember Lee Novak giving us some grief when on loan to Chesterfield. Their current form:

6 Aug Bury (A) League One, Lost 2-0
9 Aug Cheltenham Town (A) League Cup, Lost 1-0
13 Aug Northampton Town (H) League One, Drew 1-1
16 Aug Shrewsbury Town (H) League One, Won 3-0

The fitness of the Saddlers' squad is still a matter of some doubt, from the specific injuries (Rico Henry) to general match readiness (Isaiah Osborne and others). Hopefully our midfield at least should resemble something closer to first choice than it did at Chesterfield - no disrespect to those who did play on Tuesday, but perhaps a bit more beef would have been preferable! In view of Charlton's improving form I would be happy with a draw from this one - say 1-1, with Makris netting.

shady53

Re: Charlton Athletic (H) League One, 20th August, 3pm

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:38 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:I can say with confidence that the very mention of Charlton Athletic will have Walsall supporters of a certain age reaching for the nearest spittoon, the reason being a match played before any of their current squad were even thought of. I shall now go into "we wuz robbed" mode and reveal all..........

1962/63 season was a strange one for UK football in general, and for Walsall FC in particular. One of the worst winters in living memory meant that we played no competitive football at all from December 15th 1962 until March 2nd 1963, by which time a huge backlog of fixtures had built up. We were in Division II (Now known as The Championship) and our form during March and April was abysmal with relegation almost a certainty. Things looked up in May however when we won 3 games on the trot and when the final game of the season came, all we had to do was draw at home to Charlton Athletic to stay up and send them down to Division III - a Charlton win would keep them up and send us down.

The game was scheduled for Tuesday 21st May, and 18,820 spectators saw the first half end 0-0. Then the heavens opened, the pitch became waterlogged and the match was abandoned, to be hastily re-arranged for the Friday night before the Cup Final on the Saturday. Attendance on the Friday was still high at 16,761 (me included, living in Lancashire I managed to get off work early). We hit the woodwork after 5 minutes, but shortly after that Graham Newton was carried off with a fractured ankle. Things got worse when our goalkeeper Alan Boswell was carried off in the first half with a broken jaw. No substitutes in those days, so I think Granville Palin the full-back went in goal. Graham Newton came back on with a strapped up ankle to hobble around for nuisance value, and of course we let in a couple of soft goals....but being Walsall we had the nerve to claw one back and peppered the Charlton goal in the 2nd half, all to no avail as the game finished 1-2 and we were relegated. We ended up level on points with Charlton but went down because of our inferior goal average.

I've said it was a strange season, and how else can you describe losing at home to promoted Chelsea 1-5 but winning 0-1 at Stamford Bridge? Again, we managed to get thumped 0-6 at home to Newcastle United but won 0-2 at St. James' Park.

Enough of this maudlin wallowing......what of the present day? Well, Charlton have started to improve under new manager Russell Slade, and they have one or two players that could cause us problems - Nicky Ajose was signed from Swindon Town for a reported fee of around £800,000, and you may remember Lee Novak giving us some grief when on loan to Chesterfield. Their current form:

6 Aug Bury (A) League One, Lost 2-0
9 Aug Cheltenham Town (A) League Cup, Lost 1-0
13 Aug Northampton Town (H) League One, Drew 1-1
16 Aug Shrewsbury Town (H) League One, Won 3-0

The fitness of the Saddlers' squad is still a matter of some doubt, from the specific injuries (Rico Henry) to general match readiness (Isaiah Osborne and others). Hopefully our midfield at least should resemble something closer to first choice than it did at Chesterfield - no disrespect to those who did play on Tuesday, but perhaps a bit more beef would have been preferable! In view of Charlton's improving form I would be happy with a draw from this one - say 1-1, with Makris netting.

Oh ! the memories of THAT game Welsh. I was in the Hillary st end and vividly remember the rain came down so hard and fast that we had to retreat back up the steps as the rain very quickly flooded the walkway at the bottom of the steps and got deeper and deeper to the extent about the first 10 were flooded.

I also remember Boswell being taken off with his mouth stuck wide open much to the amusement of many "old uns" around me as he was shall we say, very vocal and not exactly the shy retiring type.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:32 am

First game I might miss in about 2 years, however though there is a still a pretty big chance I will get there 15+ minutes late.

I'll say that we will win 3-0, Moussa, Oztumer and Makris all scoring within the first 15 minutes and then we hold on for the rest of the game. :lol:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:40 am

shady53 wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:I can say with confidence that the very mention of Charlton Athletic will have Walsall supporters of a certain age reaching for the nearest spittoon, the reason being a match played before any of their current squad were even thought of. I shall now go into "we wuz robbed" mode and reveal all..........

Oh ! the memories of THAT game Welsh. I was in the Hillary st end and vividly remember the rain came down so hard and fast that we had to retreat back up the steps as the rain very quickly flooded the walkway at the bottom of the steps and got deeper and deeper to the extent about the first 10 were flooded.

I also remember Boswell being taken off with his mouth stuck wide open much to the amusement of many "old uns" around me as he was shall we say, very vocal and not exactly the shy retiring type.

I, too, remember those games all too well. It put me in a foul mood for my A-level exams, a couple of weeks later! :evil:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:39 am

Pedagogue wrote:
shady53 wrote:

I, too, remember those games all too well. It put me in a foul mood for my A-level exams, a couple of weeks later! :evil:

In the words of Rowan Atkinson (Best man's speech at the wedding)... "and, do you know, he hasn't changed a bit" !! :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:43 am

I was at those games too...if only substitutes had been allowed!!! As an 18 year old it was my first major disappointment in following the Saddlers and I little thought then that we would have so few years in that division in all my supporting years yet I am still here like many others supporting my beloved team.
As for Saturday I would be happy with a draw.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:35 pm

Almost impossible to predictable a result for this one.

All depends on JW'S team selection which is also completely unpredictable.

?????

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:18 pm

Walsallone wrote:I was at those games too...if only substitutes had been allowed!!! As an 18 year old it was my first major disappointment in following the Saddlers and I little thought then that we would have so few years in that division in all my supporting years yet I am still here like many others supporting my beloved team.
As for Saturday I would be happy with a draw.

Bloomin eck! Yow must be even older than me!!! I certainly wasn't 18 when we lost that most crucial match. As a Laundry Ender the sight of Boswell being taken off to hospital was immensely upsetting, but I'm sure that in his time it hadn't been the only time he had had jaw problems, I seem to remember he was indeed a teddy boy and a half in his time!!

Unless Whitney can implode this squad with some passion, a draw would be a good result for us, if he plays the same team, a defeat is inevitable. Would help if he were to play squad members in their best positions, and certainly exclude Kinsella, Morris & Dobson from the starting line up, and please try to get Makris up front to score goals, he may as well have been playing full back on Tuesday!!

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:50 pm

I was also at both games,must have been"sick" for the friday game as it was money collecting night for my paper round.

Who can predict game on sat will depend on which players are fit and if played in right positions.We have some good players but it depends on wether they will gel as a team and soon.

Will be happy with point from this as Charlton a good team at this level and have good strikers while our defence looks bit shakey at the moment.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:43 pm

2-2.

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:29 pm

I've never liked Charlton.
A nothing club from down south but financial enough to pay Novak his £10,000+ a week.
Do they get parachute payments?
They seem to be doing ok on the pitch so I'm afraid we might lose this one - depending on who plays for us.
Makris is showing signs and this game would be a good one for him to poach a couple in.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:36 pm

I remember the two matches against Charlton in May 1963. It is odd to think that when we old timers talk about those matches, it is like people back in 1963 remembering matches from 1910.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:27 am

Moussa coming back to the club that released him early in his contract, think he will be fired up for this one.

3 in behind Jackson of Moussa, Oztumer and Makris please Whitney. We may lack a natural winger playing this but all 3 can cause the opposition so much trouble.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:28 am

A 1-1 draw, with Bakayoko getting a late equaliser for us, in front of 4,945 (939 away).

TownSwift

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:26 am

Another entertaining write up from the Afan valley, thanks! And for the follow up stories...like joining the dots. Hopefully the gears start to click into place on this one, and a 2-1 victory, possibly.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:41 pm

Got a good feeling about tomorrow.

2-0
Makris x2

Upper B4 in fine voice again.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:44 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Moussa coming back to the club that released him early in his contract, think he will be fired up for this one.

3 in behind Jackson of Moussa, Oztumer and Makris please Whitney. We may lack a natural winger playing this but all 3 can cause the opposition so much trouble.

Yep Moussa didn't have a great time so can see him scoring, law of the ex and all that.

I like the look of that 3 but imperative Osbourne and Chambers are back aswell.

If they are and it's not the YTS lads that looks a pretty balanced team, two DMs who can put their foot in and get it forward to the 3 attacked minded players.

If either can't make it surely Flo has to play centrally?

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:03 pm

well i am going for a 2-0 win. it will be my first game this season. i was just going to get me and the wife's tickets when i got a phone call from a mate i lent a few grand to.and he has had trouble paying it back :| . but as a thank you he has given me a box at the game tomorrow with 10 tickets and £100 behind the bar :D. so i will be there with all the family. and they are ALL saddlers fans :wink:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:08 pm

chunkster wrote:well i am going for a 2-0 win. it will be my first game this season. i was just going to get me and the wife's tickets when i got a phone call from a mate i lent a few grand to.and he has had trouble paying it back :| . but as a thank you he has given me a box at the game tomorrow with 10 tickets and £100 behind the bar :D. so i will be there with all the family. and they are ALL saddlers fans :wink:

Enjoy that mate.
Nice gesture.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:18 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:well i am going for a 2-0 win. it will be my first game this season. i was just going to get me and the wife's tickets when i got a phone call from a mate i lent a few grand to.and he has had trouble paying it back :| . but as a thank you he has given me a box at the game tomorrow with 10 tickets and £100 behind the bar :D. so i will be there with all the family. and they are ALL saddlers fans :wink:

Enjoy that mate.
Nice gesture.
cheers buddy :wink: . it has been hard because i have been in between a rock and a hard place. with my wife getting on my back. and me not wanting to pressure him. but he has promised me the money back soon so that has appeased my wife. and like you say tomorrow is a nice gesture :)

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:19 pm

Any spares pal? :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Mazza01 wrote:

pm sent :wink:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:22 am

Mazza01 wrote:

fudge me Chunkas, you'll have your very own singing section. I hope you can keep up with the Block 4! :D

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:06 am

1-1, McCarthy Header

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:13 am

Leatherman wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:

fudge me Chunkas, you'll have your very own singing section. I hope you can keep up with the Block 4! :D
:lol: ye but they won't be able to hear us through all that glass. i could just get away with miming :lol:
Last edited by chunkster on Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:21 am

Score draw, we need to score and show some steel to keep them at bay (well...sort of anyway).

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:42 pm

No updates from me today ("hooray" from certain quarters) as I'm driving the boy to Gatport Airwick - have a good 'un. :D

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:45 pm

Apparently it's 1 - 0 to Charlton. Ajose

Courtesy of Vital Walsall bytheway
42'
Goal! Walsall 0, Charlton Athletic 1. Nicky Ajose (Charlton Athletic) right footed shot from very close range to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Josh Magennis.

I knew they'd miss me.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:50 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:No updates from me today ("hooray" from certain quarters) as I'm driving the boy to Gatport Airwick - have a good 'un. :D

Certainly missing all them Premiershite updates that spoil match of the day for us old 'un's out shoppin with the missus Welshie!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like an even game so far, so a draw would seem a viable outcome (as long as we dow have to score that is!)
Scrub that, I hear we are 1-0 down, hangover from Tuesday won't be impressing our home fans that's for sure!

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:53 pm

Some good chances from us.
Also some dire play and defensive lapses.
Inconsistency is costing us.

Charlton idiots let off a smoke bomb in their end when they scored.
So much for the extra security mentioned in the programme.
I'm sure they wouldn't have missed a pop bottle being snuck in though! :roll:

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season