Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Charlton Athletic (H) League One, 20th August, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Charlton Athletic (H) League One, 20th August, 3pm

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:55 pm

Not looking like a good start to the season so far then?
Perhaps some of the doubters who did not witness Tuesdays surrender, will now start to believe that we are in for a hard time. And we all thought that this could be our season, a team full of impressive individuals amounting to diddly squat as a team! :(

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:01 pm

Predictably. It all seems to going pearshaped. Heading for 1 point from 9 in the league with zero goals in 270 mins of football.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Even at this early stage of the season I can categorically tell you that Whitney isn't the man. He'll be out before Christmas, hopefully well before!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Makris off Bakayoko on

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:31 pm

1 - 1 Morris :D

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Oh dear 2 - 1 to Charlton :cry:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:44 pm

Anybody at the game care to post?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Looks like no one 'believes'.............not surprised, we saw the consequences of this style of management at the end of last season.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Cully wrote:Anybody at the game care to post?

If it's owt like Tuesday, they'll be too infuriated, more like finding the nearest whippet to bite it's head off!!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:56 pm

We lost.............goodnight everyone I'm off.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:02 pm

Cully wrote:We lost.............goodnight everyone I'm off.

Methinks that unfortunately this might be a regular feature of a long, hard season of struggle. A squad of talented individuals failing to make the grade as a 'team'.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:04 pm

If you decimate a winning team buy offering derisory contracts you get what you deserve.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Can someone please explain how when we had Makris and Jackson on we were lumping the ball up to them to binging Baka on and reverting to passing the ball along the floor? I cannot think of one header he had to try and win, other than that were were pretty shite.

Does JW just work on fitness during the week? O'connor and Preston (cost us the 2nd goal) were awful and the other 9 were just average Joe's.

Nick Ajose is way above L1 level, lose him and Charlton are screwed.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:15 pm

m&m wrote:If you decimate a winning team buy offering derisory contracts you get what you deserve.

What did they win?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:16 pm

IHTC. wrote:Can someone please explain how when we had Makris and Jackson on we were lumping the ball up to them to binging Baka on and reverting to passing the ball along the floor? I cannot think of one header he had to try and win, other than that were were pretty shite.

Does JW just work on fitness during the week? O'connor and Preston (cost us the 2nd goal) were awful and the other 9 were just average Joe's.

Oh how we wish we could be saying the same about Makris....not quite the wonder kid we all hoped eh?

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Transfer dealings an absolute shambles. And because of it I think we will go down

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:20 pm

A damn site more games than this lot will!

I admire your positivity but the small minded approach to the season is only going one way!

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:21 pm

A damn site more than this lot will!

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:25 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
IHTC. wrote:Can someone please explain how when we had Makris and Jackson on we were lumping the ball up to them to binging Baka on and reverting to passing the ball along the floor? I cannot think of one header he had to try and win, other than that were were pretty shite.

Oh how we wish we could be saying the same about Makris....not quite the wonder kid we all hoped eh?

Are you ever not so bloody depressing?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Unfair, AM. Whilst Ajose is tried and tested at this level and is probably being played in his best position (I was not in attendance today, but presume this was the case), Makris is new to English football and is being played out of position due to the fact that it appears to be compulsory to start Jackson ahead of both him and Bakayako.

Makris has potential and I'm certainly not going to blame him for our current form. Our inability to take our chances and a defence prone to serious lapses are seeing to that. I'm not worried yet, but if we lose to Bury next week I might be.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Sound_out wrote:Even at this early stage of the season I can categorically tell you that Whitney isn't the man. He'll be out before Christmas, hopefully well before!

Thank you and goodbye for your input.
Stick to starting pointless ISIS, Jeremy Corbyn love in threads on Slightly and leave the football to "Proper" Walsall fans and not plastic Vile fans like yourself.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:44 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
Sound_out wrote:Even at this early stage of the season I can categorically tell you that Whitney isn't the man. He'll be out before Christmas, hopefully well before!

Stick to starting pointless ISIS, Jeremy Corbyn love in threads on Slightly and leave the football to "Proper" Walsall fans and not plastic Vile fans like yourself.

X2

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:47 pm

Defensively fragile and brittle (please feel free to add any other appropriate words ending in le), both physically and mentally in central defence.
Suicidal play cost us goals and should have cost us more.
McCarthy looks a better full back than centre half to me and did quite well today.
Edwards didn't do much wrong, but offered nothing offensively on the left.
Makris looked completely lost in whatever role/position he was supposed to be playing in and offered nothing.
All other players were relatively bright and didn't do too bad.
We effectively gifted Charlton the points and that is something that we clearly can't afford to do.
Despite the negatives I think the defeat was hard to take as Charlton weren't that good, although Ricky Holmes looked a very good player.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:49 pm

You pair of thick tarts can stick your feeling up your arse. :D

Whitney OUT!
Last edited by Sound_out on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:49 pm

Not good enough. Changes needed tactically and personnel wise. Left back sorely needed, we looked wide open today down the left, every dangerous attack from them came from there.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Funny one, when Jackson and then Makris fluffed their lines when Charlton's keeper tried his hardest to concede in the first half I knew we'd go on to regret it.

Bakayoko changed the game...again...won everything in the air and didn't really lose the ball....START HIM.

Just annoying to concede straight after scoring, something that I can't remember happening over the last few seasons much.

Fully agree about the left sided threat, they knew where we were operating a makeshift system...

Will be a roller coaster ride, this season.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:03 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Are you ever not so bloody depressing?

Yeah, read my threads earlier in the season, I was the one who said this would be our season! Unfortunately I was wrong, I realised that after Tuesday night, today only confirms how wrong I was.
Was hoping Makris was going to set us on the road to the Championship, looked lost on Tuesday and was subbed today, as Bath said, "give him time to settle in" but we all know that most Walsall supporters have little patience, which will wear even thinner if he doesn't provide value for money before long.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:06 pm

It's going to be a long hard season if we put in more games like that...
Special mention goes to Makris who had an absolute mare of a game today I hope it's a blip and he can push on but he looked out of sorts couldn't pass the ball and barely made any worthwhile runs... not even mentioning the fluffing of the lines in the first half.

However we have to like whitney always tells us look for the Positives.

1-Osborne was always looking to try and bring the ball forward and has some neat passing.
2-Bakayoko held the ball up got odd shot away just bought something different to the game.
3-Mccarthy looked good at full back a lot more confident and able to push on in the attack to.
4- Moussa scared the life out of them as he really goes at the defence and will try a shot (even if they at times lacked power he'd still get them on target)
5-WE SCORED A GOAL!
Last edited by SaddlerCraig on Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:06 pm

IHTC. wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

X2

X3

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:12 pm

looks like another 2 or 3 year plan.too many young players that lack experience at this level gonna take time.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season