Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Charlton Athletic (H) League One, 20th August, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Re: Charlton Athletic (H) League One, 20th August, 3pm

Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:59 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Sound_out wrote:Whitney is a physio not a manager. Think on.

You're a villa fan on a Walsall FC forum. Think on.

I'm a WFC fan who also supports Villa. Deal with it. :arrow:

Those of you who wish to talk about ME rather than the match thread and thus ruin the experience for other users, please contact me directly by PM with your opinions and I will be more than happy to individually tell you to fudge off! :idea:
Last edited by Sound_out on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:06 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:To sum it up.. Complete clueless rubbish.

The only positive being Osbourne, absolute class.

Also 3800 home fans? we seem to of gone backwards a few years in a very short period of time. Fans clearly not buying into this squad and management.

Bit of an over reaction here mate :D

Osbern was good, but describing him as "absolute class" is a bit over top too. :lol:

the attendance could also be due to the time of year were people disappear to foreign parts for a bit of sun. How does it compare to last year?

Not sure if you've been to many games but he has arguably been mom in each of his starts, give the man credit he was class yesterday it was the players around him that were the problem.

And yes I realise people go on holiday but 500-1000 regulars I don't think so.

It's just back to normal really :lol: do well and the back end of last season folk will arrive again in their 10 year old Walsall tops

Tbf it was great , no queing for a pint and pie.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:44 pm

In spells we looked a tidy side, but we only threatened Charltons goalkeeper three times all game.

Lets face it we weren't that bad on the ball, but fudge me our defence is appalling. We wont win anything with Matt Preston and O Connor in defence. The fullbacks completely over expose themselves bombing forwards (there is a time to do it and a time not too) and not having a left foot at LB killed 50 percent of our attacks yesterday.

I hope Oztumer shakes off his knocks soon because he did more in 10 mins than anybody else. The midfielders were very good too, Osbourne was class, Dobson was tidy. Jackson fed off scraps but he put a shift in and can create things just with his pace, you can tell he is a good player who has lost his way a bit.

Morris disappointed again despite scoring, he was poor, Moussa tired very quickly and Makris might as well not have played.

Yet the most disappointing thing yesterday is that Charlton are a bang average team, Ajose and Magennis will not have easier afternoons all season, and Charlton won without breaking sweat. Our substitutions were thrown on, rather than with any plan, and completely killed any momentum we might have been building. Cuvelier on the wing? for god sake

No need to panic but there is some worrying trends. However, if we can just sort that pathetic defence out......

saddler79
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Went with my mate to the game yesterday from down south who goes to occasional walsall games and he decided to take his 6 year old son to his first ever game. I went in first and when we got in the ground i asked how much for his lad (behind the goal lower tier). The response was a shocking £16!!!! £16 for a 6 year old! I go every week but needless to say i was sat there all game burning with embarrassment not only at the price but the total apathy of our fans, the result and performance but overall the lack of 'matchday experience' for the occasional fan.

Can anybody confirm if that is the correct price or a mistake at the turnstiles?! Ive done a quick bit of digging and most Lg 1 oppo clubs charge a max £5 or are free for under 7's.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:10 pm

saddler79 wrote:Went with my mate to the game yesterday from down south who goes to occasional walsall games and he decided to take his 6 year old son to his first ever game. I went in first and when we got in the ground i asked how much for his lad (behind the goal lower tier). The response was a shocking £16!!!! £16 for a 6 year old! I go every week but needless to say i was sat there all game burning with embarrassment not only at the price but the total apathy of our fans, the result and performance but overall the lack of 'matchday experience' for the occasional fan.

Can anybody confirm if that is the correct price or a mistake at the turnstiles?! Ive done a quick bit of digging and most Lg 1 oppo clubs charge a max £5 or are free for under 7's.

According to the WFC official website, the Tile Choice Middle and Upper have a "Family (1 Adult + 1 Junior)" ticket at £25.50, but no such arrangement in the Lower stand. The category in Lower is for an "Unaccompanied Junior", which is indeed £16. :(

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:16 pm

saddler79 wrote:Went with my mate to the game yesterday from down south who goes to occasional walsall games and he decided to take his 6 year old son to his first ever game. I went in first and when we got in the ground i asked how much for his lad (behind the goal lower tier). The response was a shocking £16!!!! £16 for a 6 year old! I go every week but needless to say i was sat there all game burning with embarrassment not only at the price but the total apathy of our fans, the result and performance but overall the lack of 'matchday experience' for the occasional fan.

I don't think it would have cost more than £24.00 for family ticket (1 adult 1 junior) but that would be for the upper and middle. No concession on the lower.

Would have been cheaper, better view, dryer and a (marginally) better atmosphere in the Upper.

saddler79
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:37 pm

Thanks for the reply lads. My fault for not checking before leaving but to be fair it was a spur of the moment decision to go and i just normally pay on the gate. The question still remains is why the deal doesnt extend to the lower? Its not like it was full in there, just a sea of empty seats! Anybody got the email address for someone at the club? I'd just like to ping a quick email. Thanks.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:02 am

saddler79 wrote:Thanks for the reply lads. My fault for not checking before leaving but to be fair it was a spur of the moment decision to go and i just normally pay on the gate. The question still remains is why the deal doesnt extend to the lower? Its not like it was full in there, just a sea of empty seats! Anybody got the email address for someone at the club? I'd just like to ping a quick email. Thanks.

can see what people are saying but tbh 16 quid for a 7 year old child is pretty ridiculous.needs looking at.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:33 am

killers left foot wrote:
saddler79 wrote:Thanks for the reply lads. My fault for not checking before leaving but to be fair it was a spur of the moment decision to go and i just normally pay on the gate. The question still remains is why the deal doesnt extend to the lower? Its not like it was full in there, just a sea of empty seats! Anybody got the email address for someone at the club? I'd just like to ping a quick email. Thanks.

can see what people are saying but tbh 16 quid for a 7 year old child is pretty ridiculous.needs looking at.

One of the first games I took my son to was at Blundell Park. When I tried to pay for him, the guy just said 'squeeze up next to your dad as you go through the turnstile.' Mind you a few years later I took son & daughter (about eleven & eight) to Glandford Park and had to pay the full adult price for them. I was not amused!

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:02 am

The family ticket is broken down as £21.50 for an adult and £2.00 for a child (if booked in advance it goes up a few quid on match day!), £21.50 - £23.00 to watch league 1 football week in week out is a rip off and probably a big justifier to why our attendance's are so poor.

Our Match day experience really doesn't offer value for Money.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:24 am

Sound_out wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Those of you who wish to talk about ME rather than the match thread and thus ruin the experience for other users, please contact me directly by PM with your opinions and I will be more than happy to individually tell you to fudge off! :idea:

What has your original statement got to do with the match? It's a pointless contribution.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:42 am

scott_powell wrote:
Sound_out wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

What has your original statement got to do with the match? It's a pointless contribution.

Don't get drawn in Scott you will be discussing Isis and Political issues before you know it.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:25 am

scott_powell wrote:
Sound_out wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Well let's just have a think about this shall we Scott. Does Whitney's lack of management experience due to the fact that he has spent most of his career as a PHYSIO have an effect on match day? The answer I would successfully argue is YES. Is that relevant on a match day thread where we've suffered defeat which is quite possibly due to tactical reasons, playing players out of position etc. The answer is also YES. :idea:

Now, if you want to get personal about ME just PM me and we'll discuss your petty moronic contributions without ruining the thread, OK? :idea:

Sound_out
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:27 am

Mazza01 wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Sound_out wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Don't get drawn in Scott you will be discussing Isis and Political issues before you know it.

SOT is for that! :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:30 am

killers left foot wrote:

Yeah, but there are some great options, just they are for different parts of the ground, same as anywhere else. Way too late to say it, but it pays to do your homework.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:55 am

Sound_out wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Sound_out wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Well let's just have a think about this shall we Scott. Does Whitney's lack of management experience due to the fact that he has spent most of his career as a PHYSIO have an effect on match day? The answer I would successfully argue is YES. Is that relevant on a match day thread where we've suffered defeat which is quite possibly due to tactical reasons, playing players out of position etc. The answer is also YES. :idea:

Now, if you want to get personal about ME just PM me and we'll discuss your petty moronic contributions without ruining the thread, OK? :idea:

Everything has an effect on a matchday but it's not all for here you patronising cornhole.

Maybe if you went to games I'd take what you say more seriously. Troll.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:23 am

scott_powell wrote:Everything has an effect on a matchday but it's not all for here you patronising cornhole.

Maybe if you had more than a couple of brain cells you'd understand that Whitney's experience in management, or lack of, has a consequence on match day! :idea:

Stopping worrying about what I do and focus on the points being made about the performance and manager. Numpty.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:50 am

Sound_out wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Everything has an effect on a matchday but it's not all for here you patronising cornhole.

Maybe if you had more than a couple of brain cells you'd understand that Whitney's experience in management, or lack of, has a consequence on match day! :idea:

Stopping worrying about what I do and focus on the points being made about the performance and manager. Numpty.

I refuse to bite anymore

Here's a view of the match from someone who was actually there ...

I thought we were okay in patches but overall poor. I thought Preston had a decent game and I was impressed with Moussa. Thought McCarthy did well in the first half but faded in the second. Not a fan of Dobson in the slightest. He's young and still learning but it really shows how much we miss Adam Chambers. I thought Osbourne was absolutely immense again too. That man is an absolute tank! Makris was poor but he needs time to settle. Jackson was decent and should have scored. Superb save from their keeper in the first half to deny him. Would have been a different story if that would have gone in.

A poor team performance with okay spells. I still feel that once it clicks we'll be a very efficient team at this level.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:05 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Sound_out wrote:

I refuse to bite anymore

I thought we were okay in patches but overall poor. I thought Preston had a decent game and I was impressed with Moussa. Thought McCarthy did well in the first half but faded in the second. Not a fan of Dobson in the slightest. He's young and still learning but it really shows how much we miss Adam Chambers. I thought Osbourne was absolutely immense again too. That man is an absolute tank! Makris was poor but he needs time to settle. Jackson was decent and should have scored. Superb save from their keeper in the first half to deny him. Would have been a different story if that would have gone in.

A poor team performance with okay spells. I still feel that once it clicks we'll be a very efficient team at this level.

Refusing to bite? Your the one who caused the argument! :idea: :lol:

You're entitled to your opinion as I am mine which is that under Whitney I can't see us having success this season. I hope he proves me wrong and I'm prepared to eat my words but think it's unlikely.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Sound_out wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Sound_out wrote:

I refuse to bite anymore

Refusing to bite? Your the one who caused the argument! :idea: :lol:

You're entitled to your opinion as I am mine which is that under Whitney I can't see us having success this season. I hope he proves me wrong and I'm prepared to eat my words but think it's unlikely.

You drop bait (Well, patronise). Wait for people to bite then blame others.

And fair enough.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:19 pm

As this board is specifically entitled "2016-17 season match reports and reaction" I think it would be appropriate if it only contained reports and reaction from people who are qualified to give their opinion by actually having attended.

General comments on the ability or potential of players/management/directors should be restricted to the "All About Walsall" board.

(For the benefit of a certain poster) "Think on". :idea:

Sound_out
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:As this board is specifically entitled "2016-17 season match reports and reaction" I think it would be appropriate if it only contained reports and reaction from people who are qualified to give their opinion by actually having attended.

General comments on the ability or potential of players/management/directors should be restricted to the "All About Walsall" board.

I'm more than qualified to give my opinion whether I attend the game or not. Think on! :idea:

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:02 pm

One of the things that I forgot to mention about Saturday, and I don't think anyone else has commented on it? Is the fact that I don't think one of our corners reached the first man. They were quite frankly abysmal. As was any of our set plays. :|

Harry
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:20 pm

chunkster wrote:One of the things that I forgot to mention about Saturday, and I don't think anyone else has commented on it? Is the fact that I don't think one of our corners reached the first man. They were quite frankly abysmal. As was any of our set plays. :|

Whitney is too busy worrying about the players' passion and commitment to waste his time on trivial matters such as corners and set plays.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:58 pm

Sound_out wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:As this board is specifically entitled "2016-17 season match reports and reaction" I think it would be appropriate if it only contained reports and reaction from people who are qualified to give their opinion by actually having attended.

I'm more than qualified to give my opinion whether I attend the game or not. Think on! :idea:

How can you be qualified when you don't attend games? You're giving an opinion on something which requires you to be there. Your opinion in this thread in worthless and invalid. Stick to SOT or post your opinions of Whitney on the AAW section.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:59 pm

Harry wrote:
chunkster wrote:One of the things that I forgot to mention about Saturday, and I don't think anyone else has commented on it? Is the fact that I don't think one of our corners reached the first man. They were quite frankly abysmal. As was any of our set plays. :|

Whitney is too busy worrying about the players' passion and commitment to waste his time on trivial matters such as corners and set plays.

Then he should have signed op for 22nd para for 3 years instead of us :|

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:07 pm

Did anyone else notice Dobson allowing the ball run out for a corner knowing damn well that it had come off him.. and yes it was the one they scored off, I was fuming.

Lazy lazy lazy play

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Did anyone else notice Dobson allowing the ball run out for a corner knowing damn well that it had come off him.. and yes it was the one they scored off, I was fuming.

Lazy lazy lazy play

I really REALLY don't like Dobson so far (as a player obviously) ... I'll cut him slack because he's young and inexperienced but so far I'm not impressed in the slightest. I'll reserve a proper judgement till midway through the season.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:23 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Sound_out wrote:

How can you be qualified when you don't attend games? You're giving an opinion on something which requires you to be there. Your opinion in this thread in worthless and invalid. Stick to SOT or post your opinions of Whitney on the AAW section.

Well for starters, I watch the highlights, read the articles, read posts on here and know many people connected with the club. Believe it or not I have a quite reasonable understanding of what is going on at WFC. I just don't have the time or inclination to go to games anymore. My opinion is therefore not worthless and invalid.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:33 pm

Sound_out wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Sound_out wrote:

Well for starters, I watch the highlights, read the articles, read posts on here and know many people connected with the club. Believe it or not I have a quite reasonable understanding of what is going on at WFC. I just don't have the time or inclination to go to games anymore. My opinion is therefore not worthless and invalid.

Just out of interest why do choose not to attend games? lack of quality? the board?

This isn't me having a pop as we have many other fans like yourself who choose to stay away.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season