Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (A) League One, Tues 16 Aug, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Chesterfield (A) League One, Tues 16 Aug, 7.45pm

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:41 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Just got back..

Whoever suggested that we dominated any part of that game is completely wrong. 50/50 first half and completely outplayed and out thought second half.

In summary poor team selection , predictable tactics, poor substitutions, think I'll leave it there.

I think you are being kind!
What a complete waste of time, money, and patience that shambles of an evening was.
Men against children, they made us look like little kiddies running around the playground chasing after a tennis ball.
That second half was one of THE worst performances from a Walsall team, I have EVER witnessed. Chesterfield were strong, clever, efficient and completely overpowered and outplayed that rabble of powderpuff crud. They totally and utterly embarrassed us, their goalkeeper fell asleep twice, :oops: we eventually got past our own half way line a couple of minutes into injury time! :evil: Our attack ( :lol: :lol: ) was so woeful it's an insult to the quality that 'on paper' we should possess. We had one ounce of considered strength in Moussa...and he took him off! :evil: :evil: We were aslo playing with 10 men whilst Kinsella ran around like a headless chicken, and WHAT has happened to Morris? He is but a ghost of his former self!
We had no semblance of organisation, our midfield was non existent, being overrun again and again by a team of exquisite competence. They could and should have at least doubled that scoreline, we were PATHETIC. If Whitney comes out with anything less than an apology he has lost my vote.
We are heading for a relegation struggle. This team would not have scored if we were still playing now!
Where are the goals going to come from? We were woefully weak in that area, yet have loads of talented players for whom scoring goals should be a doddle. We NEVER looked capable of even getting close to a shot in that second half. Their fans were laughing at our inadequate frailty (quite rightly so). I am embarrassed beyond belief...yet some actually stood and applauded that shower of shite....beyond belief. :? :?
Sorry UTS but you need a new cheer leader, I aye spending any more cash until he gives that lot a massive ego bashing kick up the arse! :evil:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:49 pm

It's no good sitting on the fence AM, why don't you just say what you think.

Apart from the above do you think we played OK?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:59 pm

There can never be any kind of balance to this site can there? :lol:

Win a game and we are heading for the playoffs/league title. Lost one and Whitney needs to be sacked, the team sent on loan to Kidderminster as we're going to be relegated on 4 points or something.

:roll:

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:18 am

was makris our record signing not bought in as a striker? why play him in an attacking midfield role? either play him instead of jackson or with him in a front two or bring baka in to play with makris we cant score goals so something needs to be changed.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:46 am

Happy bunch on here aren't we???
Lose 1 game and we're doomed,finished worst team in the history of WFC!

Jesus, I give in

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:43 am

JonnyOwen wrote:There can never be any kind of balance to this site can there? :lol:

Win a game and we are heading for the playoffs/league title. Lost one and Whitney needs to be sacked, the team sent on loan to Kidderminster as we're going to be relegated on 4 points or something.

:roll:

Even our self-proclaimed cheerleader has said he aye going after this game. Wim doomed! :lol:

How fickle. :roll: :lol:

Whitney out.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:02 am

Wragbyred wrote:Happy bunch on here aren't we???
Lose 1 game and we're doomed,finished worst team in the history of WFC!

Jesus, I give in

Not doomed but people have a right to be worried. 3rd game in a row without scoring (one was against League 2 opp over 120 mins) he's playing players out if position, why he think cuvelier is a winger is beyond me and as others have said, play Makris where he should be playing.

Morris, Moussa, Makris, Jackson and Morris and we still cannot hit a barn door, granted we have a lot of injuries but if this continues when they come back then I will be worried. Let's hope our 'Physio' learns quickly.
Last edited by IHTC. on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:26 am

I'm starting to see this site as nothing more than pure comedy with characters so unbelievable they wouldn't even fit into a sitcom. It's easy to understand why engagement is decreasing with nutters, trolls, doom merchants & people that change their opinions after 1 game as the contributors.

Get a grip - get in the real world. Does anyone on here actually enjoy watching their team these days or has all the enjoyment been squeezed out?

Cheaterfield have got a player that will turn many games in their favour this year. I hope come October their decision doesn't come back to bite them (well, I do actually).

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:46 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:I'm starting to see this site as nothing more than pure comedy with characters so unbelievable they wouldn't even fit into a sitcom. It's easy to understand why engagement is decreasing with nutters, trolls, doom merchants & people that change their opinions after 1 game as the contributors.

Get a grip - get in the real world. Does anyone on here actually enjoy watching their team these days or has all the enjoyment been squeezed out?

Cheaterfield have got a player that will turn many games in their favour this year. I hope come October their decision doesn't come back to bite them (well, I do actually).

Don't know if you were at the game but it appears some of these nutters were so in my humble opinion they have a right to an opinion just like you, because you disagree does not make them nutters.

JW has recruited well and I have high hopes when we have a fully fit squad but my concern is that by the time that comes round we will already be in a rut and find it hard to get out of. IMHO with the abundance of attacking quality we have goals should not be an issue but 3 games and no goals is a worry.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:48 am

IHTC. wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:I'm starting to see this site as nothing more than pure comedy with characters so unbelievable they wouldn't even fit into a sitcom. It's easy to understand why engagement is decreasing with nutters, trolls, doom merchants & people that change their opinions after 1 game as the contributors.

Don't know if you were at the game but it appears some of these nutters were so in my humble opinion they have a right to an opinion just like you, because you disagree does not make them nutters.

JW has recruited well and I have high hopes when we have a fully fit squad but my concern is that by the time that comes round we will already be in a rut and find it hard to get out of. IMHO with the abundance of attacking quality we have goals should not be an issue but 3 games and no goals is a worry.

Agree Fully with the above , I attended the game last night and also Oldham on Saturday. I can only pass judgment on what I witnessed and in my opinion it was rubbish. This opinion does not make me crazy I am purely pointing out fact, something that doesn't seem to be appreciated on this message board.

The minute the team was announced I uttered to my family in jest that we should of stayed at home as a defeat was going to be the only out come.

Dobson and Kinsella as two ball winning midfielders?? would any poster on this board of selected that line up? I really don't think so. That leaves me a little worried over Whitney's judgement as a manager unless he is still experimenting with his line up.

I also pointed out previously both Osbourne and Flo are not capable due to fitness worries of playing Sat/Tues that's a huge issue for me with a long season ahead.

Now my comments above are based on what I have seen so far and I believe more than fair especially after watching 300 minutes of football without a single goal.

See you all Saturday UTS

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:58 am

JW can only pick players if they are fit...as I said before that was the most inexperienced team I remember!! Until we get our players fit we cannot judge the team can we? Whether we should have signed so many players with fitness problems is another question and I remember posting that i would not have signed Cuvelier but as someone has said if Osbourne cannot play midweek games we are in a mess. Last night we were without our 4 most experienced midfield players so why is anyone surprised we lost!!

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:49 am

I love how everybody is an expert on where Makris 'should be playing', whereas the bloke who has watched countless videos on him and watches him in training everyday clearly hasn't got a clue. :roll:
Osbourne doesn't play 2 games in 4 days after not playing for a year and people are shocked. Yet if he'd have played and got injured for a month, Whitney would have been slated. :roll:
The front 4 that hadn't even met each other until a month ago should be playing like they've been playing together for years. :roll:

Jeeeeeeesus.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:53 am

IHTC. wrote:

Regardless of whether I went to the game or not we have one poster who claimed we would be challenging for promotion after Saturday now not spending any more cash on this 'disgrace' of a team after last night.

Stop taking everything so serious ITHC it's bloody hilarious :lol: when you accept the majority of football fans are thick it makes everything a lot easier.

Thought our following of 478 was brilliant last night, a lot more than I expected tbf.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:03 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

Regardless of whether I went to the game or not we have one poster who claimed we would be challenging for promotion after Saturday now not spending any more cash on this 'disgrace' of a team after last night.

Stop taking everything so serious ITHC it's bloody hilarious :lol: when you accept the majority of football fans are thick it makes everything a lot easier.

Thought our following of 478 was brilliant last night, a lot more than I expected tbf.

I may well be wrong but it appears you only come out of the woodwork to attack fellow Walsall fans, especially ones that spend time and money actually following their club,. I value their opinion more than a 2 game a season wonder regardless whether I agree with them or not.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:24 am

IHTC. wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

I may well be wrong but it appears you only come out of the woodwork to attack fellow Walsall fans, especially ones that spend time and money actually following their club,. I value their opinion more than a 2 game a season wonder regardless whether I agree with them or not.

As usual you are very wrong and you always have been with this tired argument. Will be in upper block 4 for Charlton as I was for Wimbledon. Admittedly I do have a life and therefore can't get to every game. Sorry about that.

I'm sure I have also just congratulated our 478 fans at the game? Anyway let's draw a line there, can't be bothered getting into another futile argument with one of the boards drones

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:55 am

Disappointing performance.

At times during the first half we looked good going forward; however as a team we looked disorganised. There was no balance to the side, opposition players weren’t being picked up and in possession we were careless to say the least.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:56 am

As the American soldiers would say..."you weren't there man, you don't know".

Very few of the 478 were left in the ground at the final whistle...testament in itself.

Some of the views of folk that were NOT there, accusing some of us of 'over the top' remarks about how truly awful that team was last night, should think on, we don't just say these things because it may be clever or due to spontaneous combustion. The staggering frailty of our team truly drew laughter from the home fans, that says it all.

We have also fallen back into the old 'sideways and backwards' format...so infuriating.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:03 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:As the American soldiers would say..."you weren't there man, you don't know".

Very few of the 478 were left in the ground at the final whistle...testament in itself.

Some of the views of folk that were NOT there, accusing some of us of 'over the top' remarks about how truly awful that team was last night, should think on*, we don't just say these things because it may be clever or due to spontaneous combustion. The staggering frailty of our team truly drew laughter from the home fans, that says it all.

We have also fallen back into the old 'sideways and backwards' format...so infuriating.

*copyright infringement :idea:

I think most posters are just shocked to see you go from the dancing queen to never going again within the space of 3 days. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:17 am

Went last night - had a good think and hopefully can give an objective opinion.

Basically, we matched chesterfield first half and with a bit of luck, being 1-0 up at half time wouldn't have flattered us.

I have read a few statements from people at the club on twitter saying 'The difference was Ched Evans'.

Unfortunately they missed out the rest of the sentence which should have read:

"The difference was Ched Evans and some unbelievable tactical managerial decisions."

First up is the decision to play two ineexperienced midfielders away from home in a game against a strong home side. Kinsella was like a lost sheep - and we basically had no midfield. The decision then to replace Dobson (rather than Kinsella) in the second half was completely crazy. To make it even worse, we then put Morris in midfield.

Flo. What is the obsession with playing Flo on the left? If I went round and surveyed a 100 Walsall fans before the game yesterday, I am convinced 100% would have answered 'Flo' when asked 'Who would you play in midfield tonight with Osbourne and Chambers missing... Flo or Kinsella?'. Mental.

The in-game subsitutions were mental. Bringing off Moussa (probably our most creative and inspired player last night) was crazy. The tactics and subsitutions that followed completely destabilized and unbalanced the whole set up.

I love Jon, but he has to play a settled side and not try each week to prove himself with 'tactical mastermind' decisions out of nowhere. Play your best players in your best positions. Play a settled side and let them gel.

I won't talk much about the long ball employed either. I don't think it was as bad as previous games but lumping the ball up to a small striker in Jackson is also crazy. We have some superb footballers with great talent - let them play.

Over to you Jon to sort it out - that's what managers are paid to do.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:44 am

It’s never a pleasant experience to see your team lose, and you have to ask what’s the point of following a football team if it doesn’t bother you when they do lose.

But, there are factors that we all need to take into account. This team has seen wholescale changes in the summer and needs time to gel together as a unit. I’m afraid a bit of patience is called for from all of us. There are also a lot of younger players finding their feet. Also, the manager is new to this, he is learning his trade as all managers have to do when they start. Perhaps we should have gone for a more established manager in the summer, but Bonser got his fingers burnt with O’Dismal. An established manager does not automatically equate to success. We have seen that enough times before.

We can’t change the fact that a lot of players left in the summer so that needs to be conceded to history and be done with. The current lot is our team, so let’s give them the support they need.

I’m afraid this season was always going to be period of transition. If we nose dive and fall apart then it’s up to the board to make a change, but bear in mind the amount of slack Smith was given by Bonser when we went on some of those epic runs of never winning games, I suspect he’ll grant a similar period to Whitney.

There are some useful players in this team, let’s give them a chance.

A final word on last night, Chesterfield have a forward who on ability would never be at this level normally, it’s his current personal circumstances that have resulted in him playing at Chesterfield which is a great boost for them. One way or another that won’t last.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:48 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

As usual you are very wrong and you always have been with this tired argument. Will be in upper block 4 for Charlton as I was for Wimbledon. Admittedly I do have a life and therefore can't get to every game. Sorry about that.

I'm sure I have also just congratulated our 478 fans at the game? Anyway let's draw a line there, can't be bothered getting into another futile argument with one of the boards drones

And to some people Walsall FC is their life so have a day off and get off their backs.

UTS Legend

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:01 am

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:24 pm

I think JW should be given at least 15 games to get it right,on paper he has got a decent squad together,which had everyone salivating as each signing was announced during the close season.
I think JW is making a rod for his own back though by keep saying, "I only want to talk about the positives" after every game,that will come back and bite him if they have a run of defeats.I also think that Joseph Masi isn't doing his job properly for the E&S if he lets JW get away with "I only want to talk about the positives" after every game,maybe he is too close, too pally, to be objective,he is supposed to be the fans link to the club.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:11 pm

sid swifty wrote:I think JW should be given at least 15 games to get it right,on paper he has got a decent squad together,which had everyone salivating as each signing was announced during the close season.
I think JW is making a rod for his own back though by keep saying, "I only want to talk about the positives" after every game,that will come back and bite him if they have a run of defeats.I also think that Joseph Masi isn't doing his job properly for the E&S if he lets JW get away with "I only want to talk about the positives" after every game,maybe he is too close, too pally, to be objective,he is supposed to be the fans link to the club.

Masi isn't doing the reporting currently, he's away at the moment.

Anyway the reporters cannot decide on what the manager says in the interviews. Also be careful what you wish for, Masi has been far and away the best reporter we have had (at least in my time). He provides constant dialogue between supporters and the club.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:29 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
sid swifty wrote:I think JW should be given at least 15 games to get it right,on paper he has got a decent squad together,which had everyone salivating as each signing was announced during the close season.

Anyway the reporters cannot decide on what the manager says in the interviews. Also be careful what you wish for, Masi has been far and away the best reporter we have had (at least in my time). He provides constant dialogue between supporters and the club.

Agreed, I think he can be a little overly happy clappy at times, but has a clear passion and enthusiasm for the club that was severely lacking in his predecessors.

As for the team, still too early to judge them, but I am a little dissapointed that we seem to have stuck to the 4-2-3-1 system Dean Smith used for most of his tenure. With the exception of the second half of the Grigg, Paterson Brandy season and the first half of the last season, where we mixed it up with 3-5-2, that system has consistently delivered pretty dull football and a lack of goals.

I'd hoped a new manager might try something different - the most successful teams in this division tend to play two strikers - but I guess Whitney learnt a lot of what he knows from Smith, so no real surprise he is copying his system.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Just got back. A fairly even game in my opinion. A draw would have been a fair result.

I think we have a better squad of players than last season, but whether they can become a better team remains to be seen. We aren't controlling the game as well as last season and will probably concede more goals, however we probably have enough quality to score a few as well.

Makris should have scored and should probably have been subbed in the second half as he was largely anonymous.

I reckon this season should be quite entertaining.

UTS.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:04 am

JonnyOwen wrote:

But if you don't ask any awkward questions, all you get is what JW wants to say, i.e, "I only want to talk about the positives" .If a reporter gets too close to a club/manager they end up not wanting to rock the boat. So I'd say to Joseph Masi, ask some awkward questions or you will just get the same old asinine statements from JW,and the fans will be no wiser.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:52 am

sid swifty wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

But if you don't ask any awkward questions, all you get is what JW wants to say, i.e, "I only want to talk about the positives" .If a reporter gets too close to a club/manager they end up not wanting to rock the boat. So I'd say to Joseph Masi, ask some awkward questions or you will just get the same old asinine statements from JW,and the fans will be no wiser.

I think he wouldn't want to rock the boat or burn any bridges with the club. I wouldn't want him to either as, like I said, he has been far and away the best in recent memory.

What you are wanting is a perfect reporter, and that isn't realistic.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:30 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

I think he wouldn't want to rock the boat or burn any bridges with the club. I wouldn't want him to either as, like I said, he has been far and away the best in recent memory.

A reporters job is all about getting the story,not making it easy for JW to fob him off with "I only want to talk about the positives".

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:29 pm

sid swifty wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

A reporters job is all about getting the story,not making it easy for JW to fob him off with "I only want to talk about the positives".

That's not what he said.

You sure you're not a reporter with the way you're spinning his quotes?

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season