Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (A) League One, Tues 16 Aug, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Chesterfield (A) League One, Tues 16 Aug, 7.45pm

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:42 am

Walsall_Casual wrote:Disappointing performance.

At times during the first half we looked good going forward; however as a team we looked disorganised. There was no balance to the side, opposition players weren’t being picked up and in possession we were careless to say the least.

Crikey, you ARE being kind. Did you not witness the laughter coming from the home stand at our inadequately frail and timid attempts at pretending to be a football team? I and many others around me were utterly embarrassed. One guy to the right of me was screaming abuse constantly during the thankfully rapidly closing stages of the 'match'.
What I couldn't understand was the fact that some individuals (obviously deranged) stood and applauded the team at the end as if we had won the F.A. Cup (too many pints of pop at the bar earlier methinks). And yes, I have witnessed many hundreds of away defeats in my 55+ years, it becomes the norm after a while, this was different, the squad ain't gelling into a 'team', many will say "Ah but it is early days yet!", so does this not apply to our opposition? Whitney will have to sort it out quickly or we will become a 'heads down' rabble heading towards the relegation zone. :(
Incidentally ROC was a rock in defence, if not for his numerous interventions they would have had 5/6 goals in that second half.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:21 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:What I couldn't understand was the fact that some individuals (obviously deranged) stood and applauded the team at the end as if we had won the F.A. Cup (too many pints of pop at the bar earlier methinks).

I stood and applauded because I am a supporter of Walsall FC and want to support the players. Even then, I shared a much different view on the match to yourself and felt we huffed and puffed but didn't get our rewards for the effort. The effort alone, to me, deserves to be applauded as a supporter as they were at least trying to do the best they can.

But sure, call fellow supporters of Walsall FC deranged if it makes you feel better :lol:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:27 am

JonnyOwen wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:What I couldn't understand was the fact that some individuals (obviously deranged) stood and applauded the team at the end as if we had won the F.A. Cup (too many pints of pop at the bar earlier methinks).

I stood and applauded because I am a supporter of Walsall FC and want to support the players. Even then, I shared a much different view on the match to yourself and felt we huffed and puffed but didn't get our rewards for the effort. The effort alone, to me, deserves to be applauded as a supporter as they were at least trying to do the best they can.

But sure, call fellow supporters of Walsall FC deranged if it makes you feel better :lol:

They ain't good enough at the moment but that doesn't mean they aren't giving it their all. I certainly haven't seen any 'I can't be arsed' attitude; I don't expect to see any either.

I always clap them off. What's 'showing your disgust' going to achieve?

I'm with you Jonny.

Perhaps AM is Gordon Ottershaw in disguise? :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:46 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Walsall_Casual wrote:Disappointing performance.

At times during the first half we looked good going forward; however as a team we looked disorganised. There was no balance to the side, opposition players weren’t being picked up and in possession we were careless to say the least.

Crikey, you ARE being kind. Did you not witness the laughter coming from the home stand at our inadequately frail and timid attempts at pretending to be a football team? I and many others around me were utterly embarrassed. One guy to the right of me was screaming abuse constantly during the thankfully rapidly closing stages of the 'match'.
What I couldn't understand was the fact that some individuals (obviously deranged) stood and applauded the team at the end as if we had won the F.A. Cup (too many pints of pop at the bar earlier methinks). And yes, I have witnessed many hundreds of away defeats in my 55+ years, it becomes the norm after a while, this was different, the squad ain't gelling into a 'team', many will say "Ah but it is early days yet!", so does this not apply to our opposition? Whitney will have to sort it out quickly or we will become a 'heads down' rabble heading towards the relegation zone. :(
Incidentally ROC was a rock in defence, if not for his numerous interventions they would have had 5/6 goals in that second half.

Laughter from Chesterfield?! :lol: Where did those mugs finish last season...barely avoid relegation and got smashed 4-1 at home in the same fixture last season.

So far their gamble on one Ched Evans has paid off....for now. Without him they'll be back to fighting relegation like the season before.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Leatherman wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

They ain't good enough at the moment but that doesn't mean they aren't giving it their all. I certainly haven't seen any 'I can't be arsed' attitude; I don't expect to see any either.

I always clap them off. What's 'showing your disgust' going to achieve?

I'm with you Jonny.

Perhaps AM is Gordon Ottershaw in disguise? :lol:

8 bloody 1! 8-1 to Brighouse Reserves, and their centre forward wears glasses.......when he's playing! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Though I do tend to stop short of throwing our clock through the front window! Mind you, I could have, after that appalling display it took me till 12.30am to get home, with the M1 reduced to one lane virtually to Wakefield, and nearly all of the M62 down to 50mph! I'm calm now, but hope we put on a better display this Saturday!

Incidentally folk, if you continue to applaud diddly squat effort/quality uncomplainingly, those players will think they can 'get away' with just playing a 'match', cus that's what they are paid to do, regardless, therefore they will still continue to infuriate. So, a kick up the bum is sometimes a requisite response from fans who have paid good hard earned cash to watch their team give up, like they did in that second half.
We don't tip waiters who belittle you, or pour soup over your lap, why should we stand and applaud a total lack of professionalism on a footy field? I was one who campaigned for the team after the Crewe fiasco, but there is a limit to endurance, when, on paper this SHOULD be our most exciting and quality squad of the modern era!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:12 pm

How many teams have had to rebuild as much as we have this season? Can't be too many, completely new set of lads and a few came in late pre season don't forget. The lack of goals recently is a little worrying but that's about it to me, very early doors, win tomorrow and then what? Back to winning the title? :lol:

If we grab play offs again, fantastic if not and its a mid table finish so be it. As long as we aren't utter shite and pathetic I can live with a mediocre kind of season under johns leadership.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:13 pm

If we are truly awful I don't applaud for the record, usually back in the pub :lol:

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season