Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Aug 13, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Aug 13, 3pm

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:40 pm

chunkster wrote:barnsley and brentford both winning 2-0

I cant quite see the relevance of that on the Oldham V Walsall post.
They have gone, who cares, get over it !

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:40 pm

happy with that seeing as they hit the post :)

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:42 pm

PINNACLE wrote:

just a bit of info on a results thread as others have done before me :| thort someone may be interested. obviously you wasn't

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:01 pm

chunkster wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

just a bit of info on a results thread as others have done before me :| thort someone may be interested. obviously you wasn't

To be honest you posted it because of ex Walsall players involvement, and to be honest i couldn't care less.
No i am not interested in the slightest.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:18 pm

Just got back.........
One very pleased Moanin Old Git. Forget the game. This squad of players is going to cause carnage in this League...once they gel properly.
We have strong but elegant defenders/half backs. Preston will get red carded at least 3 times this season alone,(though O'Connor saved his bacon in the first half after handing the ball to an Oldham attacker!) but he gets stuck in no truck/no quarter given, Osbourne is a brick.(yes a Brick) He and Preston are like brick outhouses!
We have a multitude of talent up front that will cause utter havoc Moussa/Makris/Ozzy/Bakyoko/Jackson etc all capable of scoring goals for fun. Someone have a word with Etheridge though, you are a great shot stopper, but GET RID OF THE BALL for clips sake!
Very impressed with McCarthy & Edwards....Edwards one of the best attacking players on the field!!
Makris was quiet but it is clear to see why we actually PAID money for him, a great shot and many exquisite flicks and through balls, the quality shone through.
Second half of the season see us go, we will make Brizzle Cities League one form look normal.
Large bet will be placed on us getting promoted, well done Whitney, you've picked some good'uns.
One happy bunny, looking forward to seeing more of the same.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Just got back.........
One very pleased Moanin Old Git. Forget the game. This squad of players is going to cause carnage in this League...once they gel properly.
We have strong but elegant defenders/half backs. Preston will get red carded at least 3 times this season alone,(though O'Connor saved his bacon in the first half after handing the ball to an Oldham attacker!) but he gets stuck in no truck/no quarter given, Osbourne is a brick.(yes a Brick) He and Preston are like brick outhouses!
We have a multitude of talent up front that will cause utter havoc Moussa/Makris/Ozzy/Bakyoko/Jackson etc all capable of scoring goals for fun. Someone have a word with Etheridge though, you are a great shot stopper, but GET RID OF THE BALL for clips sake!
Very impressed with McCarthy & Edwards....Edwards one of the best attacking players on the field!!
Makris was quiet but it is clear to see why we actually PAID money for him, a great shot and many exquisite flicks and through balls, the quality shone through.
Second half of the season see us go, we will make Brizzle Cities League one form look normal.
Large bet will be placed on us getting promoted, well done Whitney, you've picked some good'uns.

:shock:

Mods, please lock down AM's account. It's clearly been hacked.

Either that or he really has been on the mushrooms.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:29 pm

We have a multitude of talent up front that will cause utter havoc Moussa/Makris/Ozzy/Bakyoko/Jackson etc all capable of scoring goals for fun. But we didn't score.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:42 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:

We have a multitude of talent up front that will cause utter havoc Moussa/Makris/Ozzy/Bakyoko/Jackson etc all capable of scoring goals for fun. But we didn't score.

TBF, Moanie did say when the gel properly.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:24 pm

PINNACLE wrote:No i am not interested in the slightest.

Obviously :lol:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:36 pm

0-0 was a fair result. We didn't real get out of first gear all match and neither did Oldham.

Good performers:
Franck Moussa looked like a real handful everytime he got on the ball. Played much better in the second half when Oztumer went off injured and he came into that number 10 position.
Andreas Makris really was a handful for Oldham when he came on, he really impressed me.
Isaiah Osbourne, wow what a tank, he was unstoppable today and broke down so many attacks along with being fantastic with the ball at his feet. He even megsed someone!

Bad performers:
Liam Kinsella looked a little out of his depth and had little to no impact on the game, real shame as I do rate him.
Erhun Oztumer had a bad 45 minutes, no doubt this is down to his back injury that forced him off at half time. He really should have come off when he first got the injury as we were basically playing with 10 men for the rest of the half.

Rest were average. Cuvelier out wide doesn't work though, he gives you legs but just isn't that kind of footballer for me. McCarthy had a weird match in that he looked proper dodgy one second but would then put in a worldy of a challenge or a block the next. Weirdly he played better at left back (without a left foot either) than he did at centre half.

Solid performance but plenty to work on still for Whitney. A backup left back is needed ASAP too after Rico's dislocated shoulder. Didn't he dislocate that same shoulder against Preston at Deepdale in his breakthrough season?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:40 pm

I was going to post that an away draw is never a bad result as I was expecting a tirade of misery from AM :D but instead I read his post above :D .Well AM I hope you are correct in your prediction after all you have never been right yet :D :D :D :D :D :D ....seriously though I agree we have signed some good players and lets hope they gel as you predict.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:01 pm

As many have pointed out , our attacking options are frightening. However our tactics seem a little predictable week in week out.

Jackson upfront on his own doesn't work..

However I have to point out the form of Osbourne, he was an animal today and could well turn out to be a huge player for the club this year.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:06 pm

We very rarely do well at Oldham so a good point

Two games four points can't grumble at that, sounded like a dull affair but you get these type of games at this level.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:06 pm

As many have pointed out , our attacking options are frightening. However our tactics seem a little predictable week in week out.

Jackson upfront on his own doesn't work..

However I have to point out the form of Osbourne, he was an animal today and could well turn out to be a huge player for the club this year.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:10 pm

Two things from me though

Jackson up front alone is a big no I feel, Tom Bradshaw was frustrated as they come in that role and he's a few inches taller and a stone or so heavier than Jackson. Him and bakayoko could be an option maybe

Flo is ineffective on the wing, he's naturally a central player so unsure why Whitney thinks he's now a winger.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Yes it is me, and yes, I've obviously been on Scotts mushrooms!!

Understand a lot of folk had a difficult journey up the M6, should have warned you all, sorry. On Thursday it took 3.1/2 hours to return from The Black Country Museum in Dudley to get home to Leigh!!

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:21 pm

Not a great game, but I'm happy with a point. As AM says, once they've been playing together for a while, this team will be a lot better.

First half we were pretty rubbish, and had I think had only one or two shots. Second half we were much better offensively, due to Moussa being more of a presence in the middle of our attack than Oztumer was first half. As with last week, I wasn't confident in our defence, but it will take time for them to become used to playing with each other. We have been fortunate over the past few years in that our defence has remained pretty much the same, so it is understandable that they might not be as good as last year yet.

Etheridge - didn't have many saves to make at all, had everyone worried when he was messing around dinking the ball to O'Connor and nearly to their striker.
Edwards - played alright, but not spectacular.
O'Connor - did nothing wrong, and won more headers than last week.
McCarthy - looked a little shaky in the first half, but had a better game once he moved to left back. Got forward well, and did really well for a right footer playing out of position on the left.
Henry - was playing quite well until he got injured. Feel sorry for him, having dislocated his shoulder twice. I'd like to see a left back signed as back up, especially if he is going to be out injured for any length of time.
Osbourne - played well, you almost didn't realise Chambers was missing. Gets stuck in and is vocal to the team and the ref.
Kinsella - thought he did alright in the first half, got stuck in, but pretty anonymous in the second (didn't do anything wrong, but saw very little of the ball)
Moussa - I was really impressed with him. After last weeks cameo looking very unfit, I wasn't expecting much but he was out best player. Drove forward, had a few shots, played others into the game, used his weight/strength to win the ball. With a few more games he will be very useful.
Oztumer - didn't have a great first half, but as someone else pointed out, he was down injured early on, so was probably suffering with that.
Cuvelier - agree with Darth, he isn't a wide player. He would be better in the number 10 role, or alongside Osbourne today. Didn't have a bad game, but didn't do a lot either.
Jackson - barely saw the ball. A lot of long balls played up to him which he couldn't win. The team looked so much better when we played on the floor through Moussa and Makris in the second half, and create more chances.

Preston - played well, was fairly solid with only a couple of dodgy moments.
Makris - we looked much better second half when he came on. As with Moussa, with another few games for fitness he will be a real exciting player. Played wide right today, but had a few decent shots and created other chances.
Bakayoko - wasn't on for very long so didn't do much. But him, Morris and Preston loved his new chant!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:05 pm

what was the new chant? :)

UTS Legend

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:40 pm

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:22 am

Good away point first half was scrappy but with both sides having a lot of new player's that's to be expected, The first 15-20 mins second half we showed we can be an extremely good side when the player's gel and get upto fitness we'll be up there at the right end of the league table.
Only negative for me was Etheridge he hasn't learnt anything from last season about getting rid of the ball quicker neither with his hands or feet it's a good job he's a good shot stopper otherwise he'd be a very poor goalkeeper.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:42 am

otiswfc wrote:Good away point first half was scrappy but with both sides having a lot of new player's that's to be expected, The first 15-20 mins second half we showed we can be an extremely good side when the player's gel and get upto fitness we'll be up there at the right end of the league table.
Only negative for me was Etheridge he hasn't learnt anything from last season about getting rid of the ball quicker neither with his hands or feet it's a good job he's a good shot stopper otherwise he'd be a very poor goalkeeper.

Indeed, he knows we supporters can see that his inability/reluctance to get rid of the ball quickly enough is really annoying, he turned to us in the first half with a wry smile that said "I don't care, that's the way it's gonna be"

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:13 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
otiswfc wrote:Good away point first half was scrappy but with both sides having a lot of new player's that's to be expected, The first 15-20 mins second half we showed we can be an extremely good side when the player's gel and get upto fitness we'll be up there at the right end of the league table.

Indeed, he knows we supporters can see that his inability/reluctance to get rid of the ball quickly enough is really annoying, he turned to us in the first half with a wry smile that said "I don't care, that's the way it's gonna be"

That's upto him if Manchester City can drop the England no1 I'm sure Whitney will be having a word with Cutler if Etheridge's performance levels dip we've got 3 decent keeper's Etheridge included but non are on the Jimmy Walker / O 'Donnel levels and any could be dropped from the first team and replaced without having a negative impact on the team.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:47 pm

Disappointing?
Must have been possibly 400/500 there yesterday, yet only a bout 5/6 of us could be bothered to post, I know the game was a little bit dull, and we didn't win (or indeed lose, which usually leads to 7/8 pages!) but come on, this apathy is appalling. We have a great squad of talented players who will eventually take the league by storm, I guarantee it.
And folk complain about my sometimes 'tongue in cheek' posts, at least it puts a degree of fun into UTS.
Come on folks, as the Lottery adverts say "don't let it be them" This apathy will let in the likes of 'Soundy', and those left who haven't commited suicide afterwards (when UTS has descended into dull tedium) will say "we should have put the effort in". :mrgreen:

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:32 pm

ok ancient

I went yesterday

I saw nothing yesterday that made me think well be in play offs this year but that's my opinion.

think the squad will take some time to gel but at moment theyre playing like a team that doesn't know each other which is exactly what they are.

where do I think well finish after watching first 3 games - mid table

I'm not disappointed with this and ill be at chesterfield Tuesday hoping we put in a good performance but at this stage of season its about putting points on the board and we have 4 from 6 which is great

what do I think well do Tuesday - think itll be totally different result from last year but I'm here to be proved wrong
in 270 minutes weve scored 1 goal from open play and I think well lack goals in this squad but if defence stays strong and etheridge doesn't dick around every match then 1 or 2 goals may be enough in a match

just a note if we have to up m6 north for any more matches give plenty of time yesterday was a joke

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Disappointing?
Must have been possibly 400/500 there yesterday, yet only a bout 5/6 of us could be bothered to post, I know the game was a little bit dull, and we didn't win (or indeed lose, which usually leads to 7/8 pages!) but come on, this apathy is appalling. We have a great squad of talented players who will eventually take the league by storm, I guarantee it.
And folk complain about my sometimes 'tongue in cheek' posts, at least it puts a degree of fun into UTS.
Come on folks, as the Lottery adverts say "don't let it be them" This apathy will let in the likes of 'Soundy', and those left who haven't commited suicide afterwards (when UTS has descended into dull tedium) will say "we should have put the effort in". :mrgreen:

Clearly this team is not grabbing the imagination of a number of fans.

Yesterday was drab and not once did we really look like scoring for 90 minutes,

Waiting for the team to "gel" is just an excuse and will wear thin after time.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:04 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Waiting for the team to "gel" is just an excuse and will wear thin after time.

Only to those with unrealistic expectations.

If the same thing is happening in a couple of months from now then sure, it's a worry. But it isn't just an excuse at this point in time, players don't learn how to play with each other in 1 month.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:15 pm

I don't think it's apathy Ancient more lethargy than anything else. Most of what needs saying has been said.

I would add that I thought Kinsella 'dun gud' and Cuvelier ay a winger. Etheridge was lucky to get away with that indecisive kick which turned into a chip and after Tuesday's efforts I'd put McGilvray in for the Chesterfield game.

Makris looked sharp and Jackson ay a target man.

Defence wise, I thought it was the proper thing to do in moving O'Connor to the right side of central defence as he was cack at moving the ball in transition out to left field as it always ended up in the crowd. Henry was unfortunate to get injured and I hope he gets well soon. McCarthy did well considering he is inexperienced at this level and doesn't have a left foot (but it's still better than O'Connor's :D ).

I was impressed with the Moose and Ossburne looked better than Chambers in the role however, he did have a tendency to try and win balls that were already been attacked by other Walsall players resulting in the 'one of ya' scenarios.

Overall, I thought we kept the ball better than of late and it all augers well for the future.

In the ground I heard a couple of blokes speaking Flemish? And wondered if it was our Belgian contingent who had made the trip. They were talking to a couple of other blokes by the pie stall - which were very nice - one had a yellow Brasil top on.

Travel wise, forget the M6 and go for the route through Buxton and the High peaks. It took a little longer, just under 2 hours but the views are fantastic.

Well Ancient, I hope that gives you a little something to read other than the latest copy of War Cry.

Still waving a flag and loving it! :mrgreen:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:21 pm

Mazza01 wrote:

What do you expect? We have the same number of points as we did at this stage last year and we know what a cack season that turned out to be.

They need time to come together as a team and that requires game time.They are decent players at the end of the day and will come good in the end.

Sawyers is still cack.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:29 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:

What do you expect? We have the same number of points as we did at this stage last year and we know what a cack season that turned out to be.

They need time to come together as a team and that requires game time.They are decent players at the end of the day and will come good in the end.

Sawyers is still cack.

We have failed to score in our last 2 games.. Hopefully they come together a little faster than they are.

P.s Sawyers was King.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:

Sawyers is still cack.

We have failed to score in our last 2 games.. Hopefully they come together a little faster than they are.

P.s Sawyers was King.

:mrgreen:

Don't forget the fans are still learning their names too. Well I am anyway, good job I had a program to refer to :oops:
Last edited by Leatherman on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season