Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Aug 13, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Mazza01
UTS Legend

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Aug 13, 3pm

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:40 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Disappointing?
Must have been possibly 400/500 there yesterday, yet only a bout 5/6 of us could be bothered to post, I know the game was a little bit dull, and we didn't win (or indeed lose, which usually leads to 7/8 pages!) but come on, this apathy is appalling. We have a great squad of talented players who will eventually take the league by storm, I guarantee it.
And folk complain about my sometimes 'tongue in cheek' posts, at least it puts a degree of fun into UTS.
Come on folks, as the Lottery adverts say "don't let it be them" This apathy will let in the likes of 'Soundy', and those left who haven't commited suicide afterwards (when UTS has descended into dull tedium) will say "we should have put the effort in". :mrgreen:

Clearly this team is not grabbing the imagination of a number of fans.

Yesterday was drab and not once did we really look like scoring for 90 minutes,

Waiting for the team to "gel" is just an excuse and will wear thin after time.

What do you expect? We have the same number of points as we did at this stage last year and we know what a cack season that turned out to be.

They need time to come together as a team and that requires game time.They are decent players at the end of the day and will come good in the end.

Sawyers is still cack.

We have failed to score in our last 2 games.. Hopefully they come together a little faster than they are.

P.s Sawyers was King.

:mrgreen:

Don't forget the fans are still learning their names too. Well I did anyway, good job I had a program to refer to :oops:

True I took my Mrs and 2 daughters yesterday and they had no idea who the players were :lol:

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:59 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Disappointing?
Must have been possibly 400/500 there yesterday, yet only a bout 5/6 of us could be bothered to post, I know the game was a little bit dull, and we didn't win (or indeed lose, which usually leads to 7/8 pages!) but come on, this apathy is appalling. We have a great squad of talented players who will eventually take the league by storm, I guarantee it.
And folk complain about my sometimes 'tongue in cheek' posts, at least it puts a degree of fun into UTS.
Come on folks, as the Lottery adverts say "don't let it be them" This apathy will let in the likes of 'Soundy', and those left who haven't commited suicide afterwards (when UTS has descended into dull tedium) will say "we should have put the effort in". :mrgreen:

As others have said - I don't think It's apathy. Apparently there were 427 Walsall fans - most of whom probably don't post on UTS. If i go to a match i rarely post as someone has already written the same viewpoint as me - always seems a bit pointless just repeating what someone else has said. As a side note - I was all set to go on saturday right up until friday evening when i had a change of heart due to costs/family stuff but even if i went I don't think there is too much to add other than it was a decent point. Nil-nil away performances tend to get this reaction.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:09 pm

400 odd to Oldham is pretty good from previous experience.

How many were there in April last season?

I just think there's a hangover atm from coming so close last season and then seeing half the team leaving.

Good players have still come imo. I'd still say mid table is most likely result. AM overnight become a happy clappy cheerleader is amusing me though. :lol:

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:44 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:400 odd to Oldham is pretty good from previous experience.

I just think there's a hangover atm from coming so close last season and then seeing half the team leaving.

Good players have still come imo. I'd still say mid table is most likely result. AM overnight become a happy clappy cheerleader is amusing me though. :lol:

I'm waiting for the whoosh moment to come - I read his first post convinced he was being sarcastic.

The world's an unpredictable place at the minute :shock:

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:03 pm

3914 the opening day gate and people moan about our gates.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:16 pm

otherbournemouthsaddler wrote:

I'm waiting for the whoosh moment to come - I read his first post convinced he was being sarcastic.

AM sat near me at the match. I can confirm is not at all a moaner. I did notice, however, that his travel buddy (Belg) sat else where so perhaps there is previous in the moaning stakes :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:34 pm

tinned wrote:
otherbournemouthsaddler wrote:

AM sat near me at the match. I can confirm is not at all a moaner. I did notice, however, that his travel buddy (Belg) sat else where so perhaps there is previous in the moaning stakes :lol:

Good to chat again Tinned! Belg always go's to the back of any stand cus he don't like sitting down! I too noticed the 'two' Flemish were they? I think they were just in the area and fancied watching some English lower league stuff.
Yes HQ I am going to be the new cheer leader on UTS, cant stand all this whinging all the while, gets tedious after a while.
My moniker is the wife's fault, she says I always come back from matches moaning....the very thought! :lol: :lol:

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:49 am

Been busy since so not had a chance to have a say on Saturday but it was a bit...weird.

We didn't look like scoring really but we looked solid. They didn't look like scoring and they didn't look as solid and as quality-filled I didn't think.

Few highlights

Moussa - excellent

Osbourne - excellent

Preston - did all he had to

Kinsella - did all he could

Edwards - not a bad replacement for jase IMO

Nearly 500 there - not bad at all - lots of people pay on the day don't they?!! As much noise was made as the game in April which was an atrocious game by all means so not bad!! I'd imagine a lot of people made the trip due to it being the first away of the season. The gates at Bristol and Northampton will be much more telling I'd imagine, however our home form between now and then will do a lot of determining.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:07 pm

Thought individually we did okay at Oldham, Etheridge made another quality save to keep us in it second half, mind he did also have his now ritual aberration with the ball at his feet.

Kins struggled to get into the game, but didn't make many mistakes. Osbourne MOTM for me again. Though Moussa impressed again at times.

Team needs to get used to one another, and not find players isolated in forward positions. Even Edwards/McCarthy got forward a few times, but were short of options every time and ended up losing out. Happened regularly all over the oppositions half of the pitch. I be very tempted to start Bakayoko as his link up play has been some of the better stuff so far.

Thinking positively we'd have gone up with a point at Oldham last season, however in the glass half wasted camp, I think our 4 points so far have come against teams that will find themselves in and amongst the bottom 6.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:41 pm

average performance for me but a point away is good.

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season