Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil Town (H) EFL Cup, Tues 9th August 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Yeovil Town (H) EFL Cup, Tues 9th August 7.45pm

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:57 pm

[quote="Welsh_Saddler"]Second half under way - no changes on the pitch.

Interestingly I note that while we have named 7 substitutes, Yeovil Town only have 5. Short staffed? :?[/quote

a typical story of a lowly league club with little support getting promoted to the championship with no money.. then getting relegated twice. maybe a lesson to be learned there :|

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:11 pm

chunkster wrote:a typical story of a lowly league club with little support getting promoted to the championship with no money.. then getting relegated twice. maybe a lesson to be learned there :|

Yeah - they should have borrowed more and tried for the Prem where failure is very well rewarded

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:20 pm

69 minutes - Bakayoko on for Oztumer, and Kinsella on for Dobson. Still 0-0.......

(63 minutes - Makris on for Ginnelly)

78 minutes - Walsall yellow card (Matt Preston) :(

Injury time sees a second yellow card for the Saddlers..... Rico Henry (again!)

Attendance 2,699

Extra time.........which team is fitter?

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:52 pm

Dig deep boys, this hasn't exactly gone to plan thus far!

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:58 pm

oh dear :roll:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:02 pm

Bakayoko shot rebounds off the bar.......but it doesn't affect the 0-1 scoreline.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Can I be the first..............Whitney OUT.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:07 pm

Walsall's 3rd yellow card is shown to Joe Edwards.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:09 pm

0-2

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:11 pm

According to the BBC - "a shot from more than 35 yards" !!! :shock:

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:11 pm

there where reservations after our win against the wombles. i think it has been shown up tonight :|

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:12 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:According to the BBC - "a shot from more than 35 yards" !!! :shock:

A lob from Dolan who was just inside his own half, according to Walsall FC Twitter :shock: .

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14 pm

chunkster wrote:there where reservations after our win against the wombles. i think it has been shown up tonight :|

There are always lots of results like this in the first round. Don't forget we did it last year to Florist.

I'm not worried but I'm a bit disappointed.

Edit - the match statistics do not make great reading though.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:18 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:there where reservations after our win against the wombles. i think it has been shown up tonight :|

There are always lots of results like this in the first round. Don't forget we did it last year at Forest.

I'm not going to get worried, but I'm a bit disappointed.
i think that i am more disappointed because we have hit them with what i thought was our best players in bakayako/ makris and jackson. and we have still been beaten by a lower division side. i could have understood if we had played a lesser side :|

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:21 pm

Well there's obviously plenty of work for the coaches to work on going by the 2 games so far.Both the Dons and Yeovil had less possession and a lot more shots on goal.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Pathetic result.

It's a good job Whitney backs himself to keep the 'crocks' fit.. because all 4 of them were missing tonight..

If that happens frequently or for long periods of the season, then we are royally, totally and completely fudge as tonight's starting XI would be the first team.

I can't help but think we've gone a bit polar opposite (that's not a negative, YET as such)..

But under Smith/last season we were VERY steady all over the pitch, with a couple of key players.

Under Whitney we seem to have a VERY risky/could go either way kind of XI with the odd steady player who will give us a 7 each week (Chambers, O'Connor)..

Playing with fire IMHO.

My initial thoughts on the opening couple of games so far, are that we will need a defensive winger like Forde who will get back when required, cover for Henry, another centre back as without O'Connor we are a goal walking and if possible someone who is over 5ft in the front 3rd of the pitch.

At least we should be okay going forward.

After backing Whitney with cash and a decent wage budget.. Jeff will have been looking at all 3 cups and the league as a chance for Whitney to repay his faith/backing.. tonight has been a big failure with what happened last season with this cup in mind..chance for a big money spinner out of the window..
Last edited by Sadders on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:24 pm

That's more like it. Just what supporting gurrole Worsul is all about.
All that almost constantly winning games last season was rubbish for the veterans amongst us.
Worsul let you down, lose games they should win and play rubbish, that's more like it.
Back to normal, another disappointing season drifting between mid table and the relegation zone, getting knocked out of cup competitions at the first hurdle. It's like old times again.
On to Oldham, another defeat and 'play the game' happy clappers promising that things will improve. love it. :cry:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:29 pm

Jesus we are relegated now surely? :lol:

Poor result and a shame to get dumped out the competition first thing but not worth slitting your wrists over.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:36 pm

Sadders wrote:Pathetic result.

It's a good job Whitney backs himself to keep the 'crocks' fit.. because all 4 of them were missing tonight..

If that happens frequently or for long periods of the season, then we are royally, totally and completely fudge as tonight's starting XI would be the first team.

I can't help but think we've gone a bit polar opposite (that's not a negative, YET as such)..

But under Smith/last season we were VERY steady all over the pitch, with a couple of key players.

Under Whitney we seem to have a VERY risky/could go either way kind of XI with the odd steady player who will give us a 7 each week (Chambers, O'Connor)..

Playing with fire IMHO.

My initial thoughts on the opening couple of games so far, are that we will need a defensive winger like Forde who will get back when required, cover for Henry, another centre back as without O'Connor we are a goal walking and if possible someone who is over 5ft in the front 3rd of the pitch.

At least we should be okay going forward.

After backing Whitney with cash and a decent wage budget.. Jeff will have been looking at all 3 cups and the league as a chance for Whitney to repay his faith/backing.. tonight has been a big failure with what happened last season with this cup in mind..chance for a big money spinner out of the window..

I have said this all Summer, we have took a real risk on a nucleus of squad being injury prone.

Yes i won't be to hung up over the result but we had some big players missing tonight who could of possibly seen us over the line.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:38 pm

match report

that was god awful

I don't ever want to play Yeovil again

we looked non league tonight just saying as I saw it

end of report

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:40 pm

That was absolutely pathetic!
The extra 30 mins really rubbed it in.
The only players to come out of that with any credit are Morris/bakayoko and Oztumer who Whitney bizarrely substituted.
Special mention to Rico Henry who was awful.He clearly does not want to play for us. If you don't want to play Rico then go now!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:47 pm

Dire match but we were not suicidal badly like some have overreacted to.

We really should have won the match but both of our best chances fell to Jackson who headed both of them wide. Last 40 minutes we were down to 10 men due to Chamber's getting a knock and us having used all 3 subs. They scored through a fluke own goal by Baka and then a bit of magic coupled with Etheridge being fast asleep after taking a free kick and not getting back fast enough.

Bad performance overall but it's not worth throwing your toys out the pram screaming "I told you so!" just yet.

Bad performers were Ginnelly who looked a bit lost and Etheridge who couldn't kick, couldn't catch and couldn't throw and then got lobbed from their half. Oztumer first half was also anonymous but he improved in the second and then got hooked immediately (bizarre). Jackson worked hard but wasn't clinical enough, should have buried his chances, particularly the one from the Bakayoko cross from wide right.

Good performances came from Baka (bar the own goal), Morris who was lively and Kinsella who did the running for two midfielders after Chambers got injured. Preston also had Tom Eaves in his back pocket all match but could have been sent off.

Rest were 6/10's. Dobson looked promising but passed backwards far too often for my liking. Makris worked hard and looked like he has something about him but didn't really get much in terms of chances.

Need to improve a lot against Oldham. I expect to see Isaiah take up the Chambers slot and hope Whitney puts Cuvelier next to him to give us the attacking emphasis from midfield like I think we need. Maybe even Kinsella.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:That's more like it. Just what supporting gurrole Worsul is all about.
All that almost constantly winning games last season was rubbish for the veterans amongst us.
Worsul let you down, lose games they should win and play rubbish, that's more like it.
Back to normal, another disappointing season drifting between mid table and the relegation zone, getting knocked out of cup competitions at the first hurdle. It's like old times again.
On to Oldham, another defeat and 'play the game' happy clappers promising that things will improve. love it. :cry:

Rubbish.
I was in the laptop place the other day and overheard Whitney saying he'd been asked by JB to boycott the game by losing it.
I couldn't quite catch why there was a boycott by the club but it might have been a protest against kick-offs now being allowed to be taken backwards.
A traditional club like ours don't like changes.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Poor result - but couldn't care less about the competition tbh. Enjoyed last years run I guess but where did it get us really - not fussed at all.

Normal overreaction on here I see! Some things never change.

I really do hope a lot of AM's posts are 'tongue in cheek' as some of his allies profess them to be but I do have my doubts.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:11 pm

Tonight showed why we'll finish around 16th this season, no consistency, complete rebuild and the fact we have signed a few players that aren't "poor" but are no where near the standard of last season.

I said we'd finish 16th and got totally struck down for it but tonight showed exactly what I ment.

Were very light on the wings, not impressed with Ginney one bit, without Flo in the team we only really have Ozzy and Morris who a comfortable running forward with the ball.

No complaints from me this was always going to be a difficult rebuild but I wish people would take the rose tinted glasses off abit, were a bottom half team this year.

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:12 pm

Let's be clear. Yeovil are a bottom half league 2 side who outplayed us tonight.

If we had been unlucky and played some good stuff and created lots of chances then fair enough but we didn't. It was hard watching this compared to what we have been used to over the last few seasons.

The dismantling of a very good squad is nothing short of criminal.

How some can say they are happy to be out of this cup is staggering. Personally I enjoyed seeing us play good football against Chelsea last season and finishing by beating Vale 5-0 away.That is not going to happen this season believe me.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Let's put this into context here.
We are out. It happens.
But so are Bolton, Birmingham, Bradford, Sheff Wed, Vale, Charlton, Brentford :mrgreen: , Ipswich, Wigan, Rotherham, Sheff Utd, Huddersfield all lost to lower league teams.
Do you think their fans are suicidal after tonight ?
Probably not. Probably see it as a blessing.
2 bit cup competition anyway and according to the Florist manager they are going all out this year for it,to get in the Europa League.
I nearly choked on my beer when I read that.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:29 pm

cup runs equals confidence and money a chance of a local derby in 2nd round chance of big prem side in 3rd

going out of this competition is a financial burden not to mention demoralising for the team manager and fans.

yes no one has died but the difference in 3 days was staggering against a very similar team in height and skill

I would drop etheridge for that 2nd goal alone.
why he didn't run back earlier before he was lobbed ill never know
why he even needed to take free kick from position ill never know
hes a liability but luckily for him hes got no real competition.

if I was whitney id be well and truly pissed off with that performance
I'm not happy tonight that was winnable on paper and we were a total letdown

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:33 pm

A blessing? Really? I know a few Blues fans and I'm certain they are not feeling blessed tonight to be dumped out of a competition they won not that long ago by a league 1 side.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:54 pm

Etheridge a liabilty :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's just ignore the double save saturday, and the save in the 2nd half to keep it at 0-0 :roll:

PreviousNext
Return to 2016-17 Season