Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

AFC Wimbledon (H) 6th August, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Whitters
Site Addict

Re: AFC Wimbledon (H) 6th August, 3pm

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:24 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Very happy with what I saw.

What seems to have passed people by this summer is the club have worked hard to recruit a proven set of league one players....Edwards, Moussa, Flo, Simeon Jackson.

O.k some of those haven't had good seasons for a while but they wouldn't be at Walsall if they had stormers last year and some of those have played very well at this level previously.

Not everything about today was perfect...Wimbledon really should've scored in the first half to make it 1-1 and then that's a completely different game but plenty of positives today.

Ozzy...will win POTY imo. Going to be a lot of fun to watch him this season. I keep thinking today it was Milan out there....but actual end product made me realise it wasn't.

Jackson. Wasn't keen on this signing but no problem if he keeps proving me wrong. He is pacey and direct and two excellent poaching 6 yard finishes.

Baka....blimey what are they feeding him nowadays? Excellent play for the third goal and looked lively in other spells.

Edwards- Nice solid composed debut. Got forward well at times which was pleasing.

Downsides were I thought Rico was pretty poor tbh even before he conceded the penalty. Was beaten a lot down the left so hope that mind is still concentrating on Walsall.

Rest of back 4 was shaky against the high ball, not sure McCarthy will be a huge upgrade on Downing personally.

Morris- Was in and out. From what we saw last season his future is probably centrally but will have to bide his time to get a chance there.

On that evidence Wimbledon will struggle to stay up but that's the thing isn't it, Walsall have had a big problem putting away teams like that over the last few seasons.

I think this season might be a flip, Walsall will put away most of bottom half teams home and away but will struggle against the better teams and tactics as Whitney tended to do in the run in and play offs last season.

Still should be a lot of fun though. Good buzz around the ground today, lovely 21st min tribute and no feeling of play off hangover at all.

Great report - much appreciated!

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:52 pm

I don't think it has been mentioned already but for a new manager I was very impressed with him taking off a midfielder when Wimbledon clearly had no intention of playing the ball through the midfield. It worked brilliantly as the introduction of Bakayoko gave us a bit more height and a different attacking option.

I just think it mixed it up a bit and allowed us to play a different type of game which obviously worked as it took away the advantage that they were gaining. I don't think we would have done that last season.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:12 am

SWS1 wrote:
Fish wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
SWS1 wrote:We'm top :D :D :D After 45 minutes... :mrgreen:

Ah but can we stay there after 4140 minutes!! :lol: :lol:

Great start, gewin to Oldham on Saturday can't wait!

We owe them one after last season's rubbish performance there - one that arguably cost us automatic promotion.

ANY of the games we day win or draw cost us auto promo :evil:
My own favourite hated result was Swindon where we murdered them and contrived to lose 2 - 0. That would have seen us there (like any of the other adverse results, as I said).
Still, we started well this season so EXCELSIOR! (That's Latin for UTS :wink: )

Now here's me thinking it's a working men's club in Victoria Avenue, Bloxwich.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:25 pm

First of all it's good to get this site back up a running. Sorry to hear about all the cack that's been going on and I hope it all sorts its self out soon.

Anyway, back to the football:

Three points on the board is a better start than last season although it did get a bit hairy at times.

I thought our very own pocket footballer wasn't too shabby although somebody somewhere must be a bit light in the subuteo department. His goal resulting from the free kick was a cracker and I look forward to seeing more of this in the coming months.

The defence was a tad shakey at times with O'Conner looking a bit off the pace but seemed more settled when he was replaced by Preston in the second half after bumping heads with the opposition - O'Connor, not Preston.

Cuvelier also looked steady after getting a knock early on, but I hope to see more from him kas the season moves on.

Etheridge's double save was fantastic - Cutler doing a wonderful job there.

Edwards also, whilst not quite Demetriou, looked excellent in the fullback role. As did Henry, until he dragged down one of their lot for a pen at the end.

Bakayoko did well after Ozbawn fed him down the line with his cross to Jackson for goal number three.

Moussa's cameo looked class to.

Overall, it looks like Whitney has all the gears in place it just needs some oil to get it all functioning properly.

P.S. I was searched on the way in by a steward who accused me of trying to smuggle a flask in down the front of my trousers. After inviting him to take it out, he apologised profusely and slipped me his phone number. I shall pass this on to Saigon who, when he finds the time inbetween making his horse a senator, may find a use for it.

Hobgoblin gold on draft at the Saxon Penny, Lichfield.

Time for bed.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:58 pm

Really enjoyed the game, the atmosphere up in Block 4 (just a few more up there and the change will be a permanent one for 'singers') and the general positivity vibing around the place.

I was starting to get concerned as the Dons came more into it around the half an hour mark but there are going to be teething problems in what is virtually a brand new squad and manager. I think Wimbledon will bully a lot of teams to get points this season and will stay up so happy to get points against a team we would usually struggle against, definitely more steel in us.

Finally great to see Wimbledon back. Good support in terms of numbers if a little disappointing vocally.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:42 pm

Good to have UTS back, teething troubles or something more serious?
Some good substantive reports about the overall performance, which obviously don't show on the 16 odd seconds on Goal Rush etc. for we non attendees out here.
See you all at Boundary Park on Saturday, don't forget your winter woollies!
UTS always.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:45 pm

Good win without playing brilliantly, very pleasing.

We have a lot of new players so it will take time to 'gel', but I think what was on display yesterday was encouraging.
Going forward, the midfield and forwards were decent, very few misplaced passes, and we were more direct than last season.

The defence were very shaky, won very few headers especially in the first half (thought at the time the sun was maybe affecting this, but Wimbledon didn't have this problem second half). Lets not forget that over the past 4 years we have had very little change in our back four, which was probably our best performing part of the team over that time too. Having to form new partnerships will take time.

On the new signings, I thought Edwards looked a little off the pace in the first half, but not bad. McCarthy didn't win many headers but as I've said above, will wait for the defence to have played together a while before making judgements on them.
Osbourne was also a little off the pace first half, but to be fair it was his first competitive game in about 16 months, but second half was great. Broke up play and looked okay going forward too. With him in the team (& Dobson) it takes so much pressure off Chambers, as his workload is effectively halved compared to last season.
Oztumer was an exciting little player, if he sustains that level of performance all season we have a hell of a player. Great free kick too.
Cuvelier had a quiet game, but the few times he did get on the ball and drive forward he looked like the player we saw a few years ago. I like the look of Simeon Jackson, pacy and took his two chances very well. With a bit of luck we continue to make chances and he puts them away.
Moussa is definitely not fit, looked very slow but he will get better.
The Bak - his performance yesterday was the kind of player we have missed the past few years, one which I'd always like in the squad. Big, powerful, fairly fast, direct. About 30 seconds before he picked up the ball for the third goal, the bloke next to me was slagging him/Whitney off, "Why the F would you replace an exciting player for him"... :lol: Think he was also the one who 13 minutes into the new season said this team is rubbish and so much worse than last season.

We'll play better teams than Wimbledon this season, but I am encouraged considering that not all players are fully fit and the team is still not fully 'gelled'. Looking forward to Oldham and Chesterfield

UTS Legend

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:30 am

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:46 am

Thanks for that, Guest! Great to see the goals. Disappointing penalty.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:32 am

On the new signings, I thought Edwards looked a little off the pace in the first half, but not bad. McCarthy didn't win many headers but as I've said above, will wait for the defence to have played together a while before making judgements on them.
Osbourne was also a little off the pace first half, but to be fair it was his first competitive game in about 16 months, but second half was great. Broke up play and looked okay going forward too. With him in the team (& Dobson) it takes so much pressure off Chambers, as his workload is effectively halved compared to last season.
Oztumer was an exciting little player, if he sustains that level of performance all season we have a hell of a player. Great free kick too.
Cuvelier had a quiet game, but the few times he did get on the ball and drive forward he looked like the player we saw a few years ago. I like the look of Simeon Jackson, pacy and took his two chances very well. With a bit of luck we continue to make chances and he puts them away.
Moussa is definitely not fit, looked very slow but he will get better.
The Bak - his performance yesterday was the kind of player we have missed the past few years, one which I'd always like in the squad. Big, powerful, fairly fast, direct. About 30 seconds before he picked up the ball for the third goal, the bloke next to me was slagging him/Whitney off, "Why the F would you replace an exciting player for him"... :lol: Think he was also the one who 13 minutes into the new season said this team is rubbish and so much worse than last season.

Pretty much how I saw it, Osbourne was fantastic 2nd half. Thought flo and morris were very quiet and the Moussa looked knackered after about 2 mins.

Overall very pleased!!! Mini Messi is gonna be a fun player to watch and BAK, ohhhh BAK, I loved his cameo, really hope he can kick on, has all the ingredients

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:46 pm

Good result and a promising performance.

The cautions I have though:

Wimbledon missed some very good chances. Better teams will put those away.
At 2-0 up on a baking hot day, it crying out for some of last season's possession play to tire the opposition out. I hope we haven't just exchanged one brand of 'Plan A' for another.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:32 pm

An opening day home win.
A decent atmosphere in the ground.
A striker scoring two on his debut.
A new hero in the number 10 shirt.
A crowd of nearly 6,000.
A 3-1 win against difficult opponents and not even playing particularly well.

What is there not to love?

UTS :)

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season