Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (A) Tuesday 26th July, 7.45pm (friendly)

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Notts County (A) Tuesday 26th July, 7.45pm (friendly)

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:39 am

A trip to the East Midlands for our penultimate friendly where we face League 2 Notts County, the oldest professional football club in the world (so I've always been told). They've had an active pre-season themselves, with the following results:

9 July Rolls-Royce Leisure (A) Won 0-7
12 July Carlton Town (A) Won 0-1
16 July Ilkeston (A) Won 0-4
19 July Alfreton Town (A) Drew 0-0
23 July Nottingham Forest (H) Lost 1-2

Interesting to see, incidentally, that Nottingham Forest's winner in that game on Saturday was scored by Jamie Paterson. The starting XI for County is a bit unpredictable - even on Saturday against Forest they put out practically two separate sides, ringing the changes at half-time - and there's still the occasional "Triallist" appearing. Names that should ring a bell are Jonathan Forte (ex-Oldham Athletic most recently) and Izale McLeod, who is reportedly looking very sharp (he did, however, miss a penalty in one of their pre-season games).

Walsall's line-up is similarly fluid. How match-fit are Simeon Jackson and Franck Moussa? That, as they say about glass coffins, "remains to be seen" (sorry :wink: )..... It's perhaps slightly worrying that we haven't scored in open play in either of our two most recent friendly fixtures, and we can't rely on penalties every time we take the field unless we do the unthinkable and sign Febian Brandy. Wait and see!

Prediction is a bit tricky. We should be able to overcome a League 2 side away from home, but, but, but this is Walsall we're considering - a 1-1 draw will do me, with Simeon Jackson showing us what he's made of. :D

SWS1

Re: Notts County (A) Tuesday 26th July, 7.45pm (friendly)

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:59 pm

Surely a preview should precede not follow.
:mrgreen:

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:02 am

Anyone know how much the tickets are tomorrow night? Can't find any info anywhere!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:44 am

First team/Kids team/mix????

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:43 pm

Cheesebag wrote:First team/Kids team/mix????

Anyone in the squad fit enough for 10 minutes plays! :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:04 am

SWS1 wrote:Surely a preview should precede not follow.
:mrgreen:

So I should have written "Preview to precede" :?:

BUMP - Preview now in place. :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:58 pm

Is anyone gooin' ?????

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:08 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Is anyone gooin' ?????

Not me unfortunately :(

Not long got back and just about to tuck into Oriental cod with lime and wild rice.

Halfway through a can of Hobgoblin. :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:00 pm

1 nil down.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:00 pm

2 nil down!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:02 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:2 nil down!

Hope this is not our first team squad, if it is we are in for a long hard season.................................

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Hope this is not our first team squad, if it is we are in for a long hard season.................................

Etheridge, Edwards, McCarthy, O'Connor, Henry, Chambers, Cuvelier, Morris, Moussa, Kouhyar, Jackson

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Subs: McGillivray, Dobson, Osbourne, Butterfield, Kinsella, Shorrock, Roberts, Sangha, Cockerill-Mollett, Oztumer, Preston

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Surprised Ozzy isn't in there unless he has a knock but it's the team bar him coming back that will start v Wimbledon imo.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Fish wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Etheridge, Edwards, McCarthy, O'Connor, Henry, Chambers, Cuvelier, Morris, Moussa, Kouhyar, Jackson

Well there you go AM, pretty well our first team squad. Good job we are giving them a 2 goal start before turning on the style.

You have to realise that we need to practice coming back from 2 goals down to prepare for the season ahead. You just don't understand our plan do you!

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:39 pm

HT: 0-2

When's Bradders, Romaine, Jason, Andy, Sam and Fordie coming back?

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:44 pm

Fish wrote:HT: 0-2

When's Bradders, Romaine, Jason, Andy, Sam and Fordie coming back?

They didn't let the goals in - whens Jimmy coming back?

Fish
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:21 pm

0-3 then Barakoyoko replies a minute later for the Sadds. 1-3 to County.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:32 pm

Baka Yoko Ono has scored a second, get a feeling he may be important this season.

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:38 pm

When you exchange a team that finished 3rd in the league for a completely new side made up of kids/ crocks /fat Belgians and strikers who score once every 10 games it's only going one way.

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:53 pm

They only want positivity on this board to the extent that I've even seen people saying that basically all the whingers just one person with multiple logons !

Never been any doubt in my mind. Summer transfer activity. What a complete mess. Shambles. Serious questions need asking why they a whole promotion squad headed for the exit door

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:10 pm

Happydays2122 wrote:They only want positivity on this board to the extent that I've even seen people saying that basically all the whingers just one person with multiple logons !

Never been any doubt in my mind. Summer transfer activity. What a complete mess. Shambles. Serious questions need asking why they a whole promotion squad headed for the exit door

Don't worry Happydays2122. I believe you are a genuine 100% whinger of the highest order.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:31 pm

I went, we were absolute gash, were relegation fodder this year we have nothing upfront or on the wings

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:32 pm

Here we go again, lose a pre season game and suddenly we're going down on 10 points :roll:

I think the word to sum up that performance would have been lumbering.

Chambers was lumbering and off the pace in midfield, he committed more fouls than tackles. Moussa looked just like a player that had played 1 game of football in 6 months. Every attack in that first 60 minutes was slow and the back 5 of Notts County couldn't have had an easier time. McCarthy and O'Connor also both looked shaky, they really didn't have much protection at all though. First 60 minutes were just plain bad. Then the kids and Osbourne came on and the match flipped on it's head. We head energy, pace and a little bit of steel. This led to us causing them so many problems as they couldn't keep up with our young lads and their quick passing play. We then managed to work our way to the edge of the box twice, and both times a good cross to Bakayoko found the back of the net. After the 3rd went in (poor cover from Chambers, McCarthy got his feed tied together and O'Connor was flat footed) I expected it to be a very disappointing night but that performance from the young lads really made up for it.

If there was anything this performance really highlighted though was the lack of pace and directness in our side. They played a 5, now fives a well known for being weak from the wings as instead of having a full back and a winger to get past you just have one wing back to beat. We however have no-one who will beat that wing back, we instead had 3 midfielders in Kouyhar, Morris and Moussa who all like to take it inside for a shot - so every time we got the ball wide the only direction we headed was inside, straight to where they have 3 centre halves, 2 midfielders and 2 tucked in wing backs. Thus we were impotent in out attempts to even trouble their defence. It was no surprise that our second goal came from Rico getting down the outside by beating his man as he is pretty much the only player we have at the moment that can do that. I know Febian Brandy was linked a few days ago and I would have worries on signing him, but he really would fill a whole we have in our squad to a tee. So I hope one of the two Whitney is looking at is a Febian Brandy esc player that is more of a conventional beat your man and get to the byline, kind of player.

Bad Performances:

McCarthy: Looked a little shaky. The second was his fault as he completley missed the ball but when Osbourne come on for Chambers and we had a little more protection his performance improved 5 fold. Passing was a little wayward though, but I don't think it deserved the "GET HIM OFF!!" when his pass to Rico was 5 yards behind him.

O'Connor: Got roughed up from Jon Stead and didn't win anything against him.

Chambers: Looked off the pace for me, had very little impact on the game other than committing fouls.

Moussa: Really doesn't look match sharp, he was always 5 seconds behind everyone else when it came to his movement. He showed a little bit of what he can do when he turned to find space to shoot twice but both times the shots were awful, those kinds of shots I think will at the very least test the goalkeeper given the match practice that he needs.

Good Performances:

Jackson: I was really impressed with him. Ran the line well, won a few headers, was clean in his lay offs when he played with his back to goal. He also didn't stop running, he really did but 110% in. Should have scored though, he was very devoid of chances due to the lack of creativity in the side but the one he did get from a good pass from Morris he hit straight at the goalkeeper.

Edwards: Very impressed. Passing was excellent and the tackling was pin-point, easily the best of the back 4.

Osbourne: Wow what an impact he had. Came on and did all the things that Adam Chambers wasn't, he was strong in the tackle and managed to protect the back 4 but also was willing to take the ball and powerfully carry it forwards. Sign him up.

Bakayoko: Scored 2 goals in the 6 yard box, feed the Bak and he will score. Think this really could be a Will Grigg esque breakthrough season for hi,. Still need another striker for me though.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:30 pm

Happydays2122 wrote:They only want positivity on this board to the extent that I've even seen people saying that basically all the whingers just one person with multiple logons !

But they weren't a promotion squad, they were nearly men and that's one reason for some leaving and the others let Whitney down, I think he would have felt, in the big games.

He might get it right, he might be a disaster but he should be allowed to do it with his squad not Smith's.

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:19 am

How many went last night/were there in total? The place looked absolutely desolate! I quite like the chilled nature of Pre Season so I'll always attend a few but Luton Away on Saturday for instance I have no interest in.

Anyway - onto the game.

Flo - kept having to drop too IMO for the ball, meaning he would've basically had to run the length of the pitch to actually threaten.

Morris - solid as usual - he is worth more than Rico Henry IMO, will be key this season.

Rico - average, some good stuff towards the end.

Moussa - from what I have seen so far he is the first proper donkey since Manset

Jackson - lacking confidence but he got into some great spaces - creates some good chances - was caught offside about 12 times mind.

Bak - very good and we will be heavily reliant upon him I feel, one free header he buried and the second was a goal out of nothing, surrounded by defenders but managed to fire it into the roof of the net.

Edwards - very good.

Jimmy O - solid but some mistakes crept in.

McCarthy - Christ. One to forget for the lad.

Etheridge - did all he could I thought. Kicking has came on since last year - seem to be going more direct.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:42 am

Jackson and Bak need to start.....

Moussa needs a month in fat camp (with me) :D

give Osbourne a contract and put him straight in.

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Agree with the above note, Osbourne is a force - sign him up.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:43 pm

Gripper wrote:Agree with the above note, Osbourne is a force - sign him up.
yep hopefully he will think he owes us big time after paying his wages for last year while he was injured :)

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Jackson and Bak need to start.....

Moussa needs a month in fat camp (with me) :D

give Osbourne a contract and put him straight in.

I agree. I can't believe the criticism I've heard - he needs to get match fit.

He and Chambers sitting in midfield would allow the rest of the midfield and forward(s) to bomb forward at will.

Plus, he's an option at set pieces, that we haven't had since Smith forgot Andy Butler used to score goals and win us points.

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season