Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

M K Dons (H) Sunday 30 Apr, 12 noon

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Re: M K Dons (H) Sunday 30 Apr, 12 noon

Tue May 02, 2017 8:38 am

Walsallone wrote:I am not sure about the goalie but do you really think he should have saved any of the goals? The first 2 were superb strikes and the last 2 were deflections giving him no chance!

First one he seems to dive out of the way for, second one no chance, third one deflection causes him to have no chance and third one he was diving the wrong way and the deflection made no difference. Either way his footwork is none existent and he dives without watching the ball and hopes the shot is somewhere near him rather than anticipating and diving a millisecond after the shot is released and hence moving in the right direction. Overall he is not a league 1 keeper.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue May 02, 2017 9:26 am

It's taken me all weekend to calm down from a meaningless end of season match, which is worrying in itself.

The performance was shambolic once the first goal went in and the heads dropped and the interest visibly waned. This was a pity as it was the first time he'd played two up front with Oztumer since the year dot. Even with a lightweight pair of forwards we looked brighter and more threatening. Of course the payback is that we were caught out by a simple diagonal ball for the first. Instead of keeping as they were, they resorted to the England speed of build up we've been renowned for all season.

McGillivray - no chance with any of the four goals!

Edwards, O'Connor, O'Connell - end of season standard.
Roberts - He's only 19 and will learn a great deal from this. He's a good player who just needs to improve his decision making.
McCarthy - not his greatest game, but a well deserved award.

Chambers, Dobson - end of season standard, but can still keep Osbourne out of the team
Oztumer - likewise, but tries something at least

Makris, Candlin - started brightly with nice touches, but quick;y became anonymous.

Subs

Cuvelier, Morris - injected some life into it, mind you a dead cat bounces.

Clearly something is very wrong. Jackson and Osbourne have been 'patchy' in their application. However, we didn't know whether that was down to themselves or the manager. Laird was ready to sign and heaped praise upon the club, then suddenly that ceased. Now that might suggest that the manager is being undermined by the board, which is not an unreasonable assumption. However, this doesn't explain that Jackson has thrown his toys out some time ago and Bakayoko appears to have fallen under this influence, They are both under contract for next season, so should have no axe to grind, other than with the manager. All the players appear to be good players individually but the shambolic displays suggest we are being out-thought and ill-organised.

This does rather suggest that the manager is struggling. He publicly remonstrating with players and complaining about his budget. There is nothing wrong with this in itself, but the weight of individual items collected together seems that he could well find himself without a job very shortly. This is an important close season and we must act decisively and quickly, so that the manager (whoever he is) can come in and get on with things.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Tue May 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Just back from a weekend away missing first home game of the season and am glad I was not there something I thought I would never say.
After watching the rubbish we served up against Shrews,Swindon ,Cov and Vale I don,t think another poor show would do me any good.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri May 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Utter cack

Cully
Site Addict

Sat May 20, 2017 9:40 pm

This game cost me £1575..................................just a win was needed that's all, just one bloody win not a fudge surrender :twisted:

Absolutely fudge useless bastards!!!!!!!

Previous
Return to 2016-17 Season