Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England Vs Poland

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
kshammer
Site Addict

England Vs Poland

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:37 am

After beating... nay thrashing... half the Montenegro first 11 we are definately going to win the World Cup. FACT.

The question for this game is by how many shall our glorious lads win?

(Can we avoid Adrian Chiles-like Polish gags)

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: England Vs Poland

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:42 am

Score early, we're good.

Longer it goes on, it's gonna get scary.

Let's not discount the fact that they have some decent players on board, pressure free.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:15 pm

It's gonna be a nervy night. England won't make it easy.

How has Chiles not been sacked for that "gag"? (Not saying he should or shouldn't be, just that in the current PC climate .....)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:49 pm

I think we will win, the only thing that worries me is Phil Jones at right back.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Ridiculous that all you can hear in Wembley is over 20,000 Poles!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Ridiculous to think that one of Europe's deadliest strikers is allowed to run at Jagielka and Cahill.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Magnificent....Townsend, Sturridge, Rooney and Gerrard(as usual)....Brazil. Ca wait.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Now get rid of Lampard,Gerard and Roy Keane and quarter finals here we come. :D :D :D

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Ridiculous to think that one of Europe's deadliest strikers is allowed to run at Jagielka and Cahill.

Worst two centre halves for a long time, absolute pants. Probably one of the most open games I've seen for a long time partly due to our poor defending and this against a team of cabbages, I was getting a little worried though before we scored, it was just like 1973, loads of chances but no end result until Rooney scored.
Won't get too excited about the world cup in Brazil, we'll come up against far better teams than Poland and not being a top seed means a tougher draw.

Who cares, this is England :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Ridiculous to think that one of Europe's deadliest strikers is allowed to run at Jagielka and Cahill.

He day really look that bothered though.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 am

I'd rather have a team playing for the shirt with less quality, than the wasters we've had in recent years. Woy have got the best out of our so called golden generation, and should have had the job when Sven got it.

There's enough pace in the squad to worry anyone, if they can sort the defence out for next year. At least no one is expecting anything, so anything other than getting past the group stage is success.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:09 am

I'd rather have a team playing for the shirt with less quality, than the wasters we've had in recent years. Woy have got the best out of our so called golden generation, and should have had the job when Sven got it.

There's enough pace in the squad to worry anyone, if they can sort the defence out for next year. At least no one is expecting anything, so anything other than getting past the group stage is success.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:21 am

Accepting the fact that Rooney was in the right place at the right time for his header giving us the lead, what else did he do to be awarded the Man of the Match ?? There were so many instances when his passing (and receiving) left a lot to be desired.

Steven Gerrard will probably not have the necessary pace to hack it in Brazil, but he should still be part of the set-up. He seems to fulfil the "Andy Butler" inspirational function - and didn't he display it when scoring England's second ?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:52 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Accepting the fact that Rooney was in the right place at the right time for his header giving us the lead, what else did he do to be awarded the Man of the Match ?? There were so many instances when his passing (and receiving) left a lot to be desired.

Steven Gerrard will probably not have the necessary pace to hack it in Brazil, but he should still be part of the set-up. He seems to fulfil the "Andy Butler" inspirational function - and didn't he display it when scoring England's second ?

If you're questioning what Rooney did last night, you're probably one of those that doesn't appreciate Westcarr.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:13 am

Townsend has been a revelation for this team - deserved MOTM for me. Hope he keeps that attacking flair and doesn't get it trained out of him.

For all Ashley Cole is a barclays he has been one of England's better performers over the years, but to be fair, Baines deserves to be in over him. Wonder if Cole can play right back?

We're still a centre midfielder short - unless Wilshere can find some form. Carrick goes missing against any decent team and Lampard is a sub for me. Gerrard's goal was excellent and he seems to be growing into a more disciplined role that comes with age.

Centre halves are ok but look a bit sluggish against anyone with a bit of guile. I'd also like to see Forster given a bit of time prior to the World Cup, even if it is just to push Hart a bit.

World Cup Winners 2014 - FACT.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:16 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Accepting the fact that Rooney was in the right place at the right time for his header giving us the lead, what else did he do to be awarded the Man of the Match ?? There were so many instances when his passing (and receiving) left a lot to be desired.

If you're questioning what Rooney did last night, you're probably one of those that doesn't appreciate Westcarr.

Rooney ay black though.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:18 am

Agree about Townsend. Can't help thinking he'll end up another Lennon though. When the money comes, the motivation stops.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:31 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

I've been a harsh critic of Rooney's performances for England, but I'm very glad to say that last night and on Friday night his performances and work rate have been absolutely first rate.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:40 am

aaaae wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

I've been a harsh critic of Rooney's performances for England, but I'm very glad to say that last night and on Friday night his performances and work rate have been absolutely first rate.

I agree.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:27 am

glad to see some positivity on here this morning, last night 1 would struggle to believe we had won and qualified!

it was nice to see england go after a decent side for once, especially the last 20 minutes of the 1st half. for too long we've been set up to stifle the opposition, whereas our mentality suits an attacking style.

we do have some really good players, and i feel the england team is as underrated now as it has been overrated in the recent past. i'm a damn sight more confident than under capello, on performances alone.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:39 am

England qualified, lets have a bit of positivity! :mrgreen:
We wont win World Cup that's for sure but at least there will be no pressure on us like many years before!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:52 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:England qualified, lets have a bit of positivity! :mrgreen:
We wont win World Cup that's for sure but at least there will be no pressure on us like many years before!

Just as an aside, Lumpard was crap.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Having being a fairly long term critic of Rooney, I've gotta admit that the last two games have been much better (the least we should accept tbh, but let's not dwell).

Townsend is a revelation. For someone that hardly watches PL football at all I had not heard of him until Friday. It's superb to see what I call and old fashioned winger, one that storms past the fullback and whips in crosses, not the modern wide midfielder role that check back and/or pass in field the moment the fullback apporoaches. no doubt some football sage will say "he will be even better once he learns to track back etc etc". I hope not as thta invariably restricts their effectiveness at what they are good at.

Suddenly my confidence/interest in England has increased. Still see a quarter final place as the absolute limit of our potential.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Rooney benefits when we play with some pace. He is useless on his own because he cant play facing the goal. Last two games he has been worthy of his price tag. Some of his passes are pin point and if he was Spanish people would cream their pants over them.

Finally an England manager who realises our greatest asset is probably pace. Its pointless trying to do a Capello and turn these into something they are not.

Aint it refreshing to see us play a proper bloody winger, and actually break with some pace, and apply pressure.

Okay it was only Montengro and Poland, and our defence is incredibly average overall, but i prefer it now we seem to have gotten rid of the hideous over expectation.

Gerrard is a man transformed, i hope he doesn't get injured before the WC, he might just fancy one last hurrah. Hodgson proving that Lampard and Gerrard cant play together is a myth. Lets hope we don't get a group of death.

Doesnt that bore draw in Ukraine look great now.....

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:12 am

Hodgson seems to have realised that, while we needed to be better on the ball, it is no point trying to play the way Spain and Brazil do as we are always better with a bit of pace in the team. He also seems to realise it is no point just containing and defending either and may as well have a go.

Quarter finals will be good for me. If we could win the group (playing well) then bonus, then knock someone out and then be outdone by a top team, i'd not be disappointed. That would be a good learning curve for the youngsters.

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:15 am

latviancheese wrote:Rooney benefits when we play with some pace. He is useless on his own because he cant play facing the goal. Last two games he has been worthy of his price tag. Some of his passes are pin point and if he was Spanish people would cream their pants over them.

I think Rooney definitely benefits from the introduction of other players that can occupy / draw defenders and attack at pace, which Sturridge, Wellbeck and Townsend clearly did on Tuesday and Friday. But, to put Rooney's previous woes for England down to the role he was asked to play or lack of support from his team mates, doesn't really explain why during the last world cup he looked to have the fitness and touch of a Sunday morning pub team player.

Hopefully, that's all behind him now though.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:25 pm

aaaae wrote:, to put Rooney's previous woes for England down to the role he was asked to play or lack of support from his team mates, doesn't really explain why during the last world cup he looked to have the fitness and touch of a Sunday morning pub team player.

No different to the other 21 men in the WC squad then?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:14 pm

latviancheese wrote:
aaaae wrote:, to put Rooney's previous woes for England down to the role he was asked to play or lack of support from his team mates, doesn't really explain why during the last world cup he looked to have the fitness and touch of a Sunday morning pub team player.

Nothing special about the WC squad - they were all bog-standard..... (Sorry, IGMC) :oops:

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:24 pm

latviancheese wrote:

Correct. Can't be because they were all being played out of position.

Return to England Highs & Lows