Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England U-21's at European Championships

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
PT
Site Addict

England U-21's at European Championships

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:08 pm

fudge useless.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: England U-21's at European Championships

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:34 pm

England are cack. In general.

But part of me thinks if someone other than Stuart Scunthorpe Pearce was manager we might have done better.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:52 pm

I think that it has rather more to do with the restricted first team opportunities for English players. Too many foreign players in the Greedy Pigs' League. In the last week, we have seen Man City splash out on two foreign players and even the Vile have just signed a foreigner (a Bulgarian).

kevin
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:12 am

Pedagogue wrote:I think that it has rather more to do with the restricted first team opportunities for English players. Too many foreign players in the Greedy Pigs' League. In the last week, we have seen Man City splash out on two foreign players and even the Vile have just signed a foreigner (a Bulgarian).

Half agree Pedders....................but we didn't pull up many trees when there were few foreigners here.

Dan Ashworth says , that with the Burton set-up, we might have to wait 15 years to be serious challengers for the World Cup.

Really ?

Might ?

Don't know what the answer is ( other than our attitude ) .................but I wish I'd got one of these jobs where you probably won't be around when you are proven wrong.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:06 am

kevin wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:I think that it has rather more to do with the restricted first team opportunities for English players. Too many foreign players in the Greedy Pigs' League. In the last week, we have seen Man City splash out on two foreign players and even the Vile have just signed a foreigner (a Bulgarian).

Half agree Pedders....................but we didn't pull up many trees when there were few foreigners here.

Dan Ashworth says , that with the Burton set-up, we might have to wait 15 years to be serious challengers for the World Cup.

Really ?

Might ?

Don't know what the answer is ( other than our attitude ) .................but I wish I'd got one of these jobs where you probably won't be around when you are proven wrong.

And Burton was delayed nearly ten years by the vast fortune the FA paid, unnecessarily, on Wembley stadium. The FA are as much to blame for this as anyone else, which is the only reason you can't just blame the premiership clubs (as per Pedagogue) or, to be fair, the players themselves. Too much too early, too greedy without having to work. The fact that Pearce is tactically inept is an irrelevance compared with everything else.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 am

How Stuart Pearce is a manager at any level of football, is astounding.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:00 pm

I watched all three games we played, we had no real strikers in the squad. Conor Wickham is a sad excuse for a footballer, never passes like a school child on the playground.

Footballing ability aside, we had plenty of chances and failed to score any of them. Especially against Israel. We have no cutting edge at all, all we have is pace and when thats nullified we are cack.

Chalobah is a donkey in midfield only picked on the basis he smashed in a 40 yarder near the end of the season, and the only one who can play a bit of "football" is Shelvey. Who ugliness aside is turning into a half decent player.

It wasnt the best squad, it baffles me why we have some unwritten rule we cant pick some senior players. The likes of Chamberlain and Wilshere for instance. Pathetic.

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:31 pm

I blame the FA for living in the dark ages for all these years.

We need to sort in help with local authority's football pitches that they are up to a good standard. So the kids of today can learn the basic stuff on a playable pitch.

I'd also bring back Glenn Hoddle to help with guiding the Youth set up at the FA. The bloke may be a bit strange, but he is forward thinking and has some bright ideas.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:01 am

KoloSaddler wrote:I blame the FA for living in the dark ages for all these years.

We need to sort in help with local authority's football pitches that they are up to a good standard. So the kids of today can learn the basic stuff on a playable pitch.

I'd also bring back Glenn Hoddle to help with guiding the Youth set up at the FA. The bloke may be a bit strange, but he is forward thinking and has some bright ideas.

Now you are talking cack

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:17 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
kevin wrote:

Really ?

Might ?

And Burton was delayed nearly ten years by the vast fortune the FA paid, unnecessarily, on Wembley stadium. The FA are as much to blame for this as anyone else, which is the only reason you can't just blame the premiership clubs (as per Pedagogue) or, to be fair, the players themselves. Too much too early, too greedy without having to work. The fact that Pearce is tactically inept is an irrelevance compared with everything else.

don't forget sven's improved contract, after he and roman feigned talks with the collusion, no doubt, of his agent and the national paper that reported it.

pearce ain't a bad manager, nor is he spectacular, but not being able to pick his best players is the biggest problem here.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:30 pm

wfc & chips wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
kevin wrote:

Really ?

Might ?

don't forget sven's improved contract, after he and roman feigned talks with the collusion, no doubt, of his agent and the national paper that reported it.

pearce ain't a bad manager, nor is he spectacular, but not being able to pick his best players is the biggest problem here.

Peanuts, though, compared with the bill for Wembley of over 900 million, more than 4 times the estimate for the NEC site. Left them in so much hock they moved FA Cup semis there it make more cash

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:13 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:How Stuart Pearce is a manager at any level of football, is astounding.

It appears the FA belatedly agree, and have relieved him of his duties.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:18 am

Exile wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:How Stuart Pearce is a manager at any level of football, is astounding.

It appears the FA belatedly agree, and have relieved him of his duties.

On the other hand, having seen the final, a mixture of Clough, Ferguson and Shankley wouldn't have got us anywhere!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:11 am

England do not take these tournaments seriously, Pearce (Scunthorpe) could not pick his best players. Why?

Premier League runs the national team, the FA is wet.

Return to England Highs & Lows