Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Boring boring Spain....

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
TimWilkes
Glitterati

Boring boring Spain....

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:37 pm

:roll:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Re: Boring boring Spain....

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:43 pm

Rule Britannia.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Saw these bitter words from a contributor to the Telegraph live commentary blog:

Spain have basically taken the spirit crushingly defensive pig-like core of the 2004 Greece team and slapped a bunch of lipstick on it in the form of a couple of technically accomplished Barca players. If they would admit that, rather than trying to pass it off their 'defend with the ball' strategy as some superior form of football, I wouldn't have to be hoping for an Italian win. Which is another reason I despise this Spanish team; they are making me support the Italians.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Boring boring Spain....

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Exile wrote:Saw these bitter words from a contributor to the Telegraph live commentary blog:

Spain have basically taken the spirit crushingly defensive pig-like core of the 2004 Greece team and slapped a bunch of lipstick on it in the form of a couple of technically accomplished Barca players. If they would admit that, rather than trying to pass it off their 'defend with the ball' strategy as some superior form of football, I wouldn't have to be hoping for an Italian win. Which is another reason I despise this Spanish team; they are making me support the Italians.

Bloody hell.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:04 pm

Spain have got some great midfield players but the endless wristing from some folk continues to make me feel sick

Wipe up your jizz lads

WombourneSaddlers

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:29 pm

That's so stupid it is almost endearing.

As I write this, Spain are strolling to a European Championship win, having dominated possession, territory, shots on goal and having completely destroyed a pretty good Italian team, playing some absolutely sublime football. Yeah, just like Greece.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:30 pm

WombourneSaddlers wrote:

That's so stupid it is almost endearing.

As I write this, Spain are strolling to a European Championship win, having dominated possession, territory, shots on goal and having completely destroyed a pretty good Italian team, playing some absolutely sublime football. Yeah, just like Greece.

Could have been different if Motta hadn't gone off. Ruined it as a spectacle, that. You'd expect Spain to dominate proceedings when they're a man up for the last 20 minutes.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Boring boring Spain....

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Anyone else think Mark Lawrenson is going a bit odd? He's made some bizarre comments tonight

WombourneSaddlers

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Could have been, possibly, but we'll never know. Based on the preceding 70 minutes, unlikely, I'd have said. But Italy are a good team.

Spain are the best international team I have seen since Brazil 1982. I think they're up there with the Brazilians of 1970, the Dutch of the 1970s and the Hungarians of the early 1950s. They have pretty much coasted through the tournament and found an extra gear or two when required. That anyone can seriously consider them the equivalent of the Greeks is mind-boggling.

WombourneSaddlers

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Anyone else think Mark Lawrenson is going a bit odd? He's made some bizarre comments tonight

I noticed that. Time he was put out to pasture.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:01 pm

WombourneSaddlers wrote:

I noticed that. Time he was put out to pasture.

Still better than Andy "I ay got a clue" Townsend on t'other side.

WombourneSaddlers

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:01 pm

I think I've found an even better quote on the BBC site:

I'd have preferred to see a Spain versus England final. I thought that Italy were very fortunate to defeat England and then the Germans were there to be beaten. This Spanish side capitulates against solid defending and the Italians just don't have solid defenders to cope with such possession play. Against a backs to the walls job, I reckon England could have beaten Spain today. Carroll and Crouch up front for set pieces and this would be pretty cake.

:shock:

WombourneSaddlers

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Still better than Andy "I ay got a clue" Townsend on t'other side.

For me, Clive, he should have hit the target.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Boring boring Spain....

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Carroll & Crouch upfront? Can't imagine if that situation had arose it would have put Bosque off his siesta

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:12 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Anyone else think Mark Lawrenson is going a bit odd? He's made some bizarre comments tonight

He's always spouted shite, the amount of pointless comments he makes a game is beyond belief.

"Spain are playing in red"

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Boring boring Spain....

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:10 pm

The verbal shits is one thing, fairly standard for most pundits. But I'm convinced Lawrenson is going mental. What we need in the pundit and commentator world to have a similar shake up to what Spain has done on the pitch

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:11 am

never get bored watching Spain , absolutely brilliant

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Boring boring Spain....

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:27 am

derbysaddler wrote:The verbal shits is one thing, fairly standard for most pundits. But I'm convinced Lawrenson is going mental. What we need in the pundit and commentator world to have a similar shake up to what Spain has done on the pitch

They should execute him and get Barry Davies back in.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:... get Barry Davies back in.

No, no, a thousand times no! Barry Davies is the most smarmy, patronising, oleaginous commentator of them all (worse than Barry from Tipton/Tividale!) - but I agree that a big shake-up of the commentators and, more importantly, the pundits, is needed on both terrestrial channels.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:04 am

Pedagogue wrote:

No, no, a thousand times no! Barry Davies is the most smarmy, patronising, oleaginous commentator of them all (worse than Barry from Tipton/Tividale!) - but I agree that a big shake-up of the commentators and, more importantly, the pundits, is needed on both terrestrial channels.

You've got nerve to call someone smarmy, followed by use of the term 'oleaginous'. :mrgreen:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Boring boring Spain....

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:26 pm

4143 wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

You've got nerve to call someone smarmy, followed by use of the term 'oleaginous'. :mrgreen:

Thought that meself, Numberwang. Barry Davies, like him or not, knows his onions. He isn't smarmy when he's commentating, so I really couldn't give a fudge.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:29 pm

I personally find Martin Tyler intensely irritating!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
4143 wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Thought that meself, Numberwang. Barry Davies, like him or not, knows his onions. He isn't smarmy when he's commentating, so I really couldn't give a ****.

Barry Davies, being both smarmy and oleaginous, would surely know his members of the allium family rather than just his onions...

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:07 am

Like him or not, Barry Davies did occasionally come out with words that really hit the spot - the other day I saw a reference to his commentating on an Olympic Hockey game some years ago. The match was between England and Germany, and after England scored Davies uttered this immortal line - - -

"....and where were the Germans?...........and frankly, who cares?....."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (comments like that these days would probably result in a sharp rap on the knuckles) :roll:

Return to England Highs & Lows