Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Euro Semi's

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Duke
Site Addict

Euro Semi's

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:32 am

Got a feeling Spain Portugal will go all the tonight , with Portugal winning on penalties .

The other semi , we made Italy look better than they are , Germany will hammer them .

Germany - Portugal final for me

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Euro Semi's

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:33 am

Spain v Germany for me. I cannot abide even the thought of a celebrating Ronaldo.

Hopefully Spain to win 9-1

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm glad I read the thread after being enticed by it's title!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Lost all interest now if I'm honest.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Can enjoy it more now the certainty of an upcoming England defeats isn't around the corner (no wrist slitting here :wink: ).

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:47 pm

I just lose the buzz once we're out, did for the WC.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:13 pm

Cheesebag wrote:I'm glad I read the thread after being enticed by it's title!

:lol:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Anyone got the number of a good valium dealer? No, forget valium, I need smack.

The excitement of this Iberian football is just too much for my nerves.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Tonight was a great game. Really good tactical battle - was very impressed with Portugal how they went about stifling Spain.

Vive Espana.

honest_john
UTS Veteran

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:21 pm

I have to say, i was delighted when Ronaldo didn't get the chance to get the limelight he so clearly craves.Everytime the stadium screens showed live pictures of him, he had to put his hair in place....."I'll take the last pen lads" (so i can look like the hero even though i was ****** as a kid) he thought.

UTS Legend

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:39 am

Saarland Saddler wrote:Tonight was a great game. Really good tactical battle - was very impressed with Portugal how they went about stifling Spain.

Vive Espana.

Tedium for most of the first 90 minutes.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:54 am

Duke wrote:Got a feeling Spain Portugal will go all the tonight , with Portugal winning on penalties .

Had you translated that into an actual prediction, then you probably would have made it to the final of the Euro comp! :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:27 am

Guest wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:Tonight was a great game. Really good tactical battle - was very impressed with Portugal how they went about stifling Spain.

Vive Espana.

Tedium for most of the first 90 minutes.

Definitely the last 75...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Well, Germany have already let in 2 more goals than we did. Also worth bearing in mind that they only had to beat Greece in the quarters...

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Oooooo Balotelli!

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:35 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:Got a feeling Spain Portugal will go all the tonight , with Portugal winning on penalties .

Had you translated that into an actual prediction, then you probably would have made it to the final of the Euro comp! :wink:

Italy Spain final tells you I'm not very good at the prediction caper :?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Imagine my shock that the two best passing sides in the competition have got to the final.

The English public who think playing like Spain and Italy is boring are idiots. It is the way forward, until that perception changes then we will always be second best.

ws3
Glitterati

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:Imagine my shock that the two best passing sides in the competition have got to the final.

The English public who think playing like Spain and Italy is boring are idiots. It is the way forward, until that perception changes then we will always be second best.

Well that makes me an idiot. I thought the Spain v Portugal game was one of the dullest I have ever seen, and I have seen some dull football over the years.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:02 pm

ws3 wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:Imagine my shock that the two best passing sides in the competition have got to the final.

Well that makes me an idiot. I thought the Spain v Portugal game was one of the dullest I have ever seen, and I have seen some dull football over the years.

Depends what you're after really. Watching a gang of hungover cloggers kicking 3 shades **** out of each other on King George's* of a Sunday morning can be lots of fun. :wink:

* Was there ever a dressing room that smelt more strongly of liniment that those at King George's?

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:10 pm

There's a massive difference between English style hoof and rush and the brain calcifying chess that Spain serve up.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:32 am

It's only the way forward because you're not allowed to tackle anymore.

Football is the new basketball: pass - pass - pass - shot/mis-pass. Other team's turn: pass - pass...

Boring as basketball. Most fans watch for excitement, not to drool over the relative technical abilities of midfielders.

More blood and guts, I say! Whatever their technical abilities, Spain would have been taken apart by a physically combative team from the past. I have a dream of Iniesta, Xavi and co meeting the 1970s Uruguay squad in a dark alley. The Uruguayans rip off the 'Respect' badges from their sleeves, eat them, and then it gets nasty. That's entertainment!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:02 pm

tinned wrote:

There's a massive difference between English style hoof and rush and the brain calcifying chess that Spain serve up.

Yup, the one is successful and the other is crap.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:07 pm

I remember England having a player who would have fitted nicely into the current Spanish line-up. Ray Wilkins. Was never given the credit he deserved. Cherished possession and had a cracking technique. Of course he was demonised by the English press, was called "The crab" (due to preferring to keep possession by going sideways rather than aimlessly lumping it forward) and generally dismissed as slow and unproductive. As good as Fabregas (but not iniesta) I'd say.

The English just don't take to that kind of player. Someone mentioned Mark Goodwin as being the only player Tommy Coakley brought in during the summer of 1987. We were promoted the following season year in my belief because of that signing as Goodwin just kept possession and played it simple. Yet Walsall fans hated him with a passion.

There you go, Mark Goodwin and Iniesta mentioned in the same post. Do I win a fiver?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:29 pm

PT wrote:There you go, Mark Goodwin and Iniesta mentioned in the same post. Do I win a fiver?

No, but I think you'll find a free set of steak knives in your back!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:52 pm

PT wrote:I remember England having a player who would have fitted nicely into the current Spanish line-up. Ray Wilkins. Was never given the credit he deserved. Cherished possession and had a cracking technique. Of course he was demonised by the English press, was called "The crab" (due to preferring to keep possession by going sideways rather than aimlessly lumping it forward) and generally dismissed as slow and unproductive. As good as Fabregas (but not iniesta) I'd say.

The English just don't take to that kind of player. Someone mentioned Mark Goodwin as being the only player Tommy Coakley brought in during the summer of 1987. We were promoted the following season year in my belief because of that signing as Goodwin just kept possession and played it simple. Yet Walsall fans hated him with a passion.

There you go, Mark Goodwin and Iniesta mentioned in the same post. Do I win a fiver?

Not often I disagree with your posts, but I do this one !

I was only a kid when Wilkins was playing, but I do remember the World Cup of 86, when England improved massively as a team when Wilkins got sent off, and was replaced by the more energetic Peter Reid. I also disagree about Goodwin, not even sure you are serious actually, but obviously David Kelly's goals almost single handedly got us promoted, with a bit (alot) of help from Nicky Cross before he was sold. Mark Goodwin wasn't fit to lace Phil Hawker's boots to be honest, and we improved no end as a team when Hawker came back in to the side. Also there was no room or need for anyone to play it simple in Coakley's side, infact midfield wasn't really all that important at all, because his tactics bypassed midfield more often than not. I didn't hate Goodwin by the way, cracking goal at Sunderland, and an almost identical strike minutes before it ruled out. Not in the same class as Hawker though.

Return to England Highs & Lows