Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

English football.

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Neuromantic
Site Addict

English football.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:12 am

Pathetic. Rubbish. No Skill, no movement, no possession, use the ball like a hot potato.

We are soooo far behind other nations it's untrue.

Dear Sheff - still think English football is better than Spain, Germany, Italy, Brazil or Argentina?

What an idiot you are and anyone else who thinks otherwise.

We need to change everything from the grassroots up. Encourage skill, technical ability. Encourage possession and confidence on the ball.

Rubbish. If the people who moan about Spain being 'boring' think what we have seen from England this tournament is entertaining they want their heads testing.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: English football.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:51 am

The percentage possession in the England v Italy game was something like 63% - 37% (Italy first, naturally), and they also made more than twice the number of passes - accurate passes too!!!

What worries me more than the bare statistics is that Italy weren't that special, yet they made England look like a slightly better than average pub team at times. I remember having the distinct impression that Spain would murder both teams on that pitch.

Borrowing a thread title from elsewhere - "Time for Rooney to step up", I really feel that it's time for Rooney to bow out. The only threat posed by England was when we reverted to our "natural game", lumping it forward Walsall-style to Andy Carroll who showed not only the ability to win headers but also the skill to control the ball and carry on the movement. I'm very sympathetic towards Steven Gerrard, who had a cracking tournament and is obviously a motivator of the highest order. It's time for Roy Hodgson to go back to the drawing board and start preparations for the next World Cup campaign (preferably without some of the under-performing players we've seen over the past week or so).

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

English football.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:14 am

We gave the ball to one of the best passers in the world. Again and again and again. With no pressing on him. None.

It wouldn't have been unfair to lose that game in normal time.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:53 am

I support Walsall and England.

Walsall and England.

Of all the teams on the face of the earth, these are the teams I have been saddled with (gerrit?) What, did I offend the footballing gods in a previous life or something? Perhaps by smearing a liquified portion of something unspeakable on the walls of their throne room?

Bloody rubbish! :x

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:35 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:I support Walsall and England.

Walsall and England.

Of all the teams on the face of the earth, these are the teams I have been saddled with (gerrit?) What, did I offend the footballing gods in a previous life or something? Perhaps by smearing a liquified portion of something unspeakable on the walls of their throne room?

Bloody rubbish! :x

Take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I got...

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Beggars belief other national teams make keeping the ball look easy . time and time again we gave the ball away it's not rocket science .

derbysaddler
Site Addict

English football.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:06 pm

It's the lack of beards grown in the England squad compared to other sides.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:13 pm

Blame the Prem. fool hole.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Why blame the Premier League? If you're trying to suggest that it's the amount of foreigners in our league then what was the excuse in the 1970's, 80's & 90's when there were hardly any (if any in the70's) in our game and we still won nothing? It's down to coaching or lack of.You look at how many foreign players can use 2 feet, look how many English players can.THAT'S the problem.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

English football.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Plenty of foreign players in all the big European domestic leagues as well

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:56 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Plenty of foreign players in all the big European domestic leagues as well

Ar. Plenty of those pesky Spaniards in La Liga.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:27 pm

King Crimson wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:Plenty of foreign players in all the big European domestic leagues as well

...and plenty of those dirty jurmanz in the Budesliga.

Not completely on about 'winning' WC's or Euro's, it just never helps when your top league and apparently the best league going is full of foreigners.

honest_john
UTS Veteran

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Hopefully the new acadamy at Burton will bring on a new style of English footballer's for the next generation. It will hopefully include psychotherapists that'll finally help England players not to cack themselves at the slightest bit of pressure.

bangsection
Site Addict

English football.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Why blame the Premier League?

How long have you got?

honest_john
UTS Veteran

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:21 pm

bangsection wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:Why blame the Premier League?

How long have you got?
Far before the premier league, English players were shitting themselves at major tournaments. The press for me are largely to blame, a mis-placed pass, a mis-timed tackle or getting snapped laughing could result in player(s) or their families getting slaughtered. Never mind practising penalties etc, anti-pooyourself therapy is essential.
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't avoid the swear filter

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Though there may be plenty of foreigners in the other big European leagues, there aren't any English players out there to redress the balance. Their talent is both concentrated in their home leagues, as well as being distributed around Europe & the Premier League. Ours is only found in England, and even then it's a smaller concentration.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

English football.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:16 pm

4143 wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Though there may be plenty of foreigners in the other big European leagues, there aren't any English players out there to redress the balance. Their talent is both concentrated in their home leagues, as well as being distributed around Europe & the Premier League. Ours is only found in England, and even then it's a smaller concentration.

Indeed. McManaman is much more highly regarded in Spain than here.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:38 am

Tango-tinged pundit Phil Brown wades in to the debate on players playing in their own country.

His question? If Andrea Pirlo is so good why isn't he playing in England? The answer might surprise you.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu7LquvfeQA[/youtube]

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:30 am

It would be beneficial if some of our players did move abroad to other leagues, just a shame they don't because they're priced out of it or too reluctant to try other leagues.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:44 am

derbysaddler wrote:It would be beneficial if some of our players did move abroad to other leagues, just a shame they don't because they're priced out of it or too reluctant to try other leagues.

...and barely speak English, let alone anything else...

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:44 am

bangsection wrote:Tango-tinged pundit Phil Brown wades in to the debate on players playing in their own country.

His question? If Andrea Pirlo is so good why isn't he playing in England? The answer might surprise you.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu7LquvfeQA[/youtube]

Homophobic!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to England Highs & Lows