Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Deserved losers

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Deserved losers

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:43 pm

It was an easy one for the tabloid headline writers, who could cut and paste any number of vituperative old articles, simply changing the names of the players.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:43 am

The defence was excellent. Truly superb. Even though the players lack skill and the ability to pass a football, they retain a residual 'never say di'e attitude that gives a glimpse of how military success has been achieved over the centuries.

But that's it.

Midfield - did we have one?

Attack - didn't do anything because we don't have a midfield and cannot pass a football. The Germans would have crucified us as they would have scored and then picked us off on the break as team England lurch forward in an increasingly pathetic attempt to get a goal.

As for those deluded enough to think that Wooney is anything better than exceedingly ordinary, or teetering on the brink of greatness: Bobbins. Bobbins with a load of knobs and bells on. He is a massive wet lettuce at international level and would be no loss if he was suddenly crushed to death by the combined weight of his monumentally petulent ego and extraordinarily poor hairpiece.

bangsection
Site Addict

Deserved losers

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:56 am

I don't know why people are moaning.

We came fifth!

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Deserved losers

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:35 am

bangsection wrote:I don't know why people are moaning.

We came fifth!

This

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:The defence was excellent. Truly superb. Even though the players lack skill and the ability to pass a football, they retain a residual 'never say di'e attitude that gives a glimpse of how military success has been achieved over the centuries.

But that's it.

Midfield - did we have one?

Attack - didn't do anything because we don't have a midfield and cannot pass a football. The Germans would have crucified us as they would have scored and then picked us off on the break as team England lurch forward in an increasingly pathetic attempt to get a goal.

As for those deluded enough to think that Wooney is anything better than exceedingly ordinary, or teetering on the brink of greatness: Bobbins. Bobbins with a load of knobs and bells on. He is a massive wet lettuce at international level and would be no loss if he was suddenly crushed to death by the combined weight of his monumentally petulent ego and extraordinarily poor hairpiece.

Kind of agree but there were glimpses of how we could play, particularly in the first quarter.

The defence was admirable but the rest was pretty poor. I don't blame Rooney though (I still think he is a great player). The problem is we have no great players to play with him. Ashley Young was utterly dreadful. Walcott has pace and some skill but is thick. Carroll? Not good enough yet. Parker? Would run through a wall for the cause but lacks the skills at this level. Milner? Too inconsistent.

We have a few glimpses for the future - Wellbeck could be great and I like Oxlade-Chamberlain. It is a massive shame that Wilshere was injured. With good players around him, I think Rooney can improve - I think he was just isolated - and his sharpness was just not there.

And now Stevie G who I think was good in the tournament, is too old and will fade away.

We need to go back to the drawing board like the Germans did with the young players coming through.

Will it happen? Not unless something fundamental changes - but I remain hopeful.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:56 am

Cully wrote:Well done Roy for managing to get that bunch of players so far in the tournament. Beat Sweden, beat Ukraine, drew with France, topped the group and managed to hold out for 120 mins against Italy.
Possession was 36/64 in favour of the Italians who had numerous chances to score but failed :D

Suppose there will be the usual 'experts' who think they could have done a better job than Hodgson in tomorrows press and on tv. :roll:

.................and on here.

You can't have it both ways.

Someone says the players are mediocre and you have a hissy fit that they aren't mediocre. Then when they lose, you have a hissy fit that no-one could have done any better with those mediocre players.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Would we have sat back and played so negatively under Harry Redknapp ? I don't think so.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:Would we have sat back and played so negatively under Harry Redknapp ? I don't think so.

Clueless.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:16 pm

tinned wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:Would we have sat back and played so negatively under Harry Redknapp ? I don't think so.

Clueless.

*Correct.

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

Clueless.

Correct.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:51 pm

I agree.

We'd have played free-flowing attacking football and would've finished bottom of our group with 0 points instead.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Thought we were superb in the first half .second half dreadful .we'll get nowhere till we learn to keep the ball .

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Must give credit to John Terry, did anyone see him console Young and Cole last nite? Hes good at dealing with his team mates 'misses'

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Darth Vader wrote:

I agree.

We'd have played free-flowing attacking football and would've finished bottom of our group with 0 points instead.

Correct.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Darth Vader wrote:

I agree.

That is this based on exactly?

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:Must give credit to John Terry, did anyone see him console Young and Cole last nite? Hes good at dealing with his team mates 'misses'

Sorry, I think you made a spelling error there. Did you mean to say he's good at delaing with his team mates Mrs?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:23 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

I agree.

Based on the same as your post, Redknapp ffs, he's allegedly an overrated fat southern bong-eyed crook according to some sources.
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Amended a reference which could have been legally defamatory - mod.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Deserved losers

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:36 am

Saarland Saddler wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

I agree.

Based on the fact that his Spurs team don't have the defensive discipline that Hodgson's did against very attack minded teams.

There'd have been smaller gaps seen in the hull of the Titanic. Nasri, Benzema, Debuchy, Yarmolenko and Konoplyanka would've gone to town.

Bloody Harry Redknapp :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:01 am

I'm sure there must be a tenuous link here that means this thread should be in the AAW forum. Perhaps Bernie can tell us...

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 am

aaaæ™ wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Must give credit to John Terry, did anyone see him console Young and Cole last nite? Hes good at dealing with his team mates 'misses'

Sorry, I think you made a spelling error there. Did you mean to say he's good at delaing with his team mates Mrs?

Was that a spelling error or just a typo? :lol:

No not a spelling mistake, it was a pun

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:31 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:

Was that a spelling error or just a typo? :lol:

No not a spelling mistake, it was a pun

Aha! :oops:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:52 pm

...WOOSH! :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:39 pm