Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England to win 2012 Euro's ?

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Why not ?
Tonights display was superb, not very pretty but amazingly effective..........we did what we had to do, and done it by a country mile IMHO :D
RH is a breath of fresh air and SG was a revelation tonight, ok so they had a good (crossed the line by a mile) goal not given...but hey what the hell, it happens to all teams at some time or other. We got 7 points from 3 games and the Frogs (sorry for the racism) did not, surely they were the real threat in all that i have read or seen on TV.
A big big thank you to RH for delivering at least some hope and comfort, and maybe some realistic dream after many many years of hurt and disappointment.
Bring on Italy, not easy by anyones standards....but its nice to be amongst the big boys of world football for once and not be looking over our shoulder and thinking what might have been. So proud tonight :)
Can't wait till sunday (and yes even tho i am in my 50s (i know how it upsets some people on here) i will wear my 2 week old red England shirt with pride) as will all my mates......Sad ? never in this world........Proud ? you betcha !

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: England to win 2012 Euro's ?

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Why not indeed? Spain and Germany probably, but you never know.

Agree about RH, though clearly not good enough for a club like Liverpool.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:27 am

You're all deluded. Play like that against Italy and we are fudge

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:29 am

I thought we were meant to be home by now , too old , too slow etc. Nice to see us qualify top of a group.

I have a gut feeling that this could be the tournament where we suddenly come good - no expectations for the first time since probably Spain in 82 - It just seems we have the football gods on our side this time.

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:17 am

No chance.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:19 am

It makes my blood boil listening to "fans" on the radio and reading some posts on line...

When we started the tournement, expectations were at an all time low. The more intelligent supporters expected us to lose against France and maybe draw at best against Sweden/Ukraine, lets not forget WE WON THE GROUP for the first time since 1996. It doesnt matter how we have played up to this point. The teams that win the competition get better as the tournement progresses.

We have won this group by doing the things that were needed.

Italy are no better than us and play the game like us so id expect 1-0 or extra time/penalties.

We have exceeded expectations to get this far and with the organisation and the pride (for the first time since 96) who knows what could happen...

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:38 am

I think the Italy game is to close to call. It could well go to penalties. We must be due a win in one of those things soon surely?

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 am

Far too early to start talking aboyt winning it, if we are 4-0 up in the Final with 3 mins to go, then we can start to whisper it!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:25 am

Why fudge not! All the negative fools barely expected us to get out the group, lose to the likes of France and draw to Sweden, didn't happen, we won, not always pretty but its about the result in the end.

No reason why we can't turn Italy over if we step up to the plate.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:34 am

I think we have a chance... which is more than we expected before the tournament.

You have to remember that Italy themselves won the 2006 tournament after being close to going out against Australia and they have some real luck doing it!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:40 am

It would be a bloody marvellous great big massive miracle!!

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:31 pm

We won't be the first country to win a tournament without playing particularly well/attractively.

Would still err on the side of us not winning it but you never know .....

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Don't think we'll win it , but can see us beating Italy

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:54 pm

It would be nice, for once, but let's be realistic here.

We struggled against Ukraine and France (imho) and we will struggle against Italy. Confidence will be a little higher but if we manage to get past Italy we will up there with the big boys.

And we will lose.

Sad but true.

Don't build your hopes up based on a couple of scraped through games.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:It would be nice, for once, but let's be realistic here.

We struggled against Ukraine and France (imho) and we will struggle against Italy. Confidence will be a little higher but if we manage to get past Italy we will up there with the big boys.

And we will lose.

Sad but true.

If we do make it past the quarters, don't forget we get ze Germans, which will undoubtedly end in more heartache - unless the bubbles do a real number on them!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:44 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:It would be nice, for once, but let's be realistic here.

And we will lose.

Sad but true.

I don't think we struggled v France, or Ukraine. I actually think we struggled most v Sweden.

We don't have the most talented set of players, even by our poor standards we aren't great, but Roy is doing a job with what he has. I thought we did a fine job on France, and despite a few hairy moments, did well against a Ukraine side who were at home, and well up for it. Sweden was the game I felt we played the worst of all 3, and were perhaps a bit lucky to win.

The Italy game is to close to call , could go to penalties. Oh well, there is always France 2016 then :lol:

Jockey
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:48 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

And we will lose.

Sad but true.

The Italy game is to close to call , could go to penalties. Oh well, there is always France 2016 then :lol:

France hosting Euro's again?? Thats the 3rd time the french have held the tournament. Think it may have something to do with Mr Platini as UEFA President.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:28 am

Jockey wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

And we will lose.

Sad but true.

France hosting Euro's again?? Thats the 3rd time the french have held the tournament. Think it may have something to do with Mr Platini as UEFA President.

Yep, it's still a better venue than Ukraine/Poland

Return to England Highs & Lows