Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Time for Rooney to step up

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:37 am

tinned wrote:I was having "a pop" at him before the game. Overated by the media and himself. Anybody with the use of legs would've put that one away. So now we're saying that an ultra fit 26 year old is suffering from a few weeks without playing a game? Bleedin' hell.

I do believe what I say about him being overated but I must admit my patience with him snapped when he publically slagged of loyal fans that had dragged themselves to South Africa.

Don't bother. Some people clearly can't judge a player's performance over 90 mins objectively.

I think Rooney's performance yesterday absolutely summed up what we said before the game, but clearly that's too much for some, who probably need to spend the rest of this morning untwisting their knickers... :mrgreen:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:30 am

tinned wrote:I was having "a pop" at him before the game. Overated by the media and himself. Anybody with the use of legs would've put that one away. So now we're saying that an ultra fit 26 year old is suffering from a few weeks without playing a game? Bleedin' hell.

I do believe what I say about him being overated but I must admit my patience with him snapped when he publically slagged of loyal fans that had dragged themselves to South Africa.

Agreed.
He undoubtably has talent and it's great when he shows it but he's also an impetulant tool.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:35 am

SaddlerSteve wrote:

Agreed.
He undoubtably has talent and it's great when he shows it but he's also an impetulant tool.

I'd probably put his talent when he is fit and on form, on a par with say Steve Bull. At the moment his fitness puts him below even that.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:59 am

Fair play to Rooney for scoring the easiest goal possibly, but all I can think of is if Carroll was on the field instead, he'd have buried some of those headers.

You shouldn't play Rooney and Welbeck either, want the big man on personally, Rooney & Carroll, Welbeck & Carroll.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:53 am

I've said that all along. The FA need to take Rooney off his pedestal. If we had started the game with the team that finished it on Friday (including Carrol) we would have won at a canter

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:15 pm

What's with that Morrissey haircut?

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:17 pm

swiftyboy wrote:I've said that all along. The FA need to take Rooney off his pedestal. If we had started the game with the team that finished it on Friday (including Carrol) we would have won at a canter

Carrol is definitely more of a threat than Rooney at the moment.

I agreed with picking Rooney for the Ukraine game because he needed to get the match time under his belt, but now it's do or die and we have to pick our best eleven.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:25 pm

aaaæ™ wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:I've said that all along. The FA need to take Rooney off his pedestal. If we had started the game with the team that finished it on Friday (including Carrol) we would have won at a canter

I agreed with picking Rooney for the Ukraine game because he needed to get the match time under his belt, but now it's do or die and we have to pick our best eleven.

But Rooney IS our best player. The press and Adrian Chiles have told us so :roll:

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:16 pm

tinned wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:

But Rooney IS our best player. The press and Adrian Chiles have told us so :roll:

Just like Harry Rednapp IS the one and only man for the England managers job, eh? :wink:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Rooney, a class above the rest of the England team, only Gerrard comes close.

He'll break both the appearances record and the England goalscoring record.

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:22 pm

saddlerken wrote:Rooney, a class above the rest of the England team, only Gerrard comes close.

Be very careful what you say ken, it appears this thread is awash with posters happy to agree with each others fantasies about how bad Wayne Rooney is. Apparently Rooney is not even fit to lace the boots of Steve Bull, you remember him? the elusive missing link between a woodlice and a human. I never realised the depth of footballing knowledge of these posters extended to totally dismissing his entire playing career, goals scored, England appearances and opinion of almost every club manager and player in the world in favour of the much misaligned A. N. Other player [insert someone, not on a FA pedestal, with long hair or Stave Bull] I've also learnt that any player who hasn't played for 6 weeks in any type of competitive game and despite being a super fit should in his first game have scored with every kick and header, made every pass, prevented all the opposition players from entering our half all without once leaving his pedestal.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Cully wrote:
saddlerken wrote:Rooney, a class above the rest of the England team, only Gerrard comes close.

Be very careful what you say ken, it appears this thread is awash with posters happy to agree with each others fantasies about how bad Wayne Rooney is. Apparently Rooney is not even fit to lace the boots of Steve Bull, you remember him? the elusive missing link between a woodlice and a human. I never realised the depth of footballing knowledge of these posters extended to totally dismissing his entire playing career, goals scored, England appearances and opinion of almost every club manager and player in the world in favour of the much misaligned A. N. Other player [insert someone, not on a FA pedestal, with long hair or Stave Bull] I've also learnt that any player who hasn't played for 6 weeks in any type of competitive game and despite being a super fit should in his first game have scored with every kick and header, made every pass, prevented all the opposition players from entering our half all without once leaving his pedestal.

Pathetic. Just a few of us pointing out he isn't (and hasn't for a while) played anything like a world class player when wearing an England shirt.

How dare anyone hold differing opinions :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:42 pm

Apparently, after the match, Rooney tested positive for a performance enhancing rug.

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:13 pm

tinned wrote:
Cully wrote:

Pathetic. Just a few of us pointing out he isn't (and hasn't for a while) played anything like a world class player when wearing an England shirt.

No need to burst into tears just because someone pointed out a few FACTS which contradict your delusions.

Now dry your eyes and go and check your Top Trumps cards [World Class Football Players] Here's a picture of Wayne relaxing between matches.........................

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 pm

Cully wrote:

You really do come out with some gash at times. I think alot of it is a Sheff style wind up.

Firstly, Rooney clearly has talent, he isn't playing for Manchester United for no reason.

However, let's assess his England CV a little closer.

In 2004 in Portugal he was excellent, shame he got a niggling injury, but he really was awesome, and his attitude seemed spot on.

That is were the positives end, he has scored goals for England, but not nearly as many as if he had the right attitude towards wearing the England shirt, like David Beckham or Michael Owen did for example. There have been huge stretches of poor form, in particular at times when we really needed him to deliver the goods. Sendings off (needless ones) at key times. Add to that slating fans for booing a disgraceful England performance. Fans who had spent an awful lot of money to watch Rooney go through the motions for the whole tournament, like he didn't have a care in the world.

It is arguable if we should have take him at all with a 2 match suspension, if it had been the 3 it should have been, surely he would have been left at home. He is there now, and probably is our best player talent wise, although Gerrard runs him close. Let's hope he rams the negatives down our throats, and really proves he is world class, or will he just go through the motions yet again? Your guess is as good as mine.

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:11 am

At his current rate of scoring he'd need to pick up over 180 caps before he matched Charlton's 49 goal record. Then he'd need another 5 or 6 games before he scored the goal to beat it.

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:34 am

Cully wrote:
tinned wrote:
Cully wrote:

No need to burst into tears just because someone pointed out a few FACTS which contradict your delusions.

Now dry your eyes and go and check your Top Trumps cards [World Class Football Players] Here's a picture of Wayne relaxing between matches.........................

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7098/7164 ... 10f9_z.jpg

Maybe we should bring back Jimmy Greaves, he was a world class striker once too you know?

Can you honestly tell me that Wayne Rooney is anywhere near the player for England he was in 2004? Can you honestly say his lack of discipline hasn't damaged England? Can you honestly say that he was anything above mediocre in his last tournament in South Africa?

You are rating Rooney now, based on his performances for England in the dim and distant past. Admit it. Go on. It won't hurt. It will be relief to finally get it off your chest... :twisted:

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Cully wrote:
tinned wrote:
Cully wrote:

I see Wayne is about as mobile there as he was on Tuesday night.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:05 pm

i hate Rooney.That pathetic squeaky voice,then he has a rug on his head that could have come from a carpet factory.Yes,I hate Micky Rooney.The only good thing he did was "The Kid."

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Well first half and he a stepped up. Bring on Carroll :roll:

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Well Rooney is so far proving me wrong. I keep thinking Messi is in a white shirt.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 pm

tinned wrote:Well Rooney is so far proving me wrong. I keep thinking Messi is in a white shirt.

Exactly! So why TF is he still on the pitch?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:32 am

Rooney = complete gash

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:15 am

I just wished he could've stepped up to Pirlo, just a couple of times as I'm not greedy. Would've been greatly appreciated.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:45 am

Wrote this elsewhere but it seems to accurately sum up the potato-headed miscreant:

As for those deluded enough to think that Wooney is anything better than exceedingly ordinary, or teetering on the brink of greatness: Bobbins. Bobbins with a load of knobs and bells on. He is a massive wet lettuce at international level and would be no loss if he was suddenly crushed to death by the combined weight of his monumentally petulent ego and extraordinarily poor hairpiece.

Anyone arguing with this summary is obviously a cretnious buffoon with little to no footballing knowledge.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:14 am

The question for me, with the benefit of hindsight, is this:

Having been sent off for an act of petulance in his last competitive game, was Rooney worth it? Worth the appeal to UEFA over the length of the ban. Worth the press work. Worth leaving another player behind. Worth unsettling a winning team.

He played every minute of the two games he was able to. He scored one goal (a tap in) and couldn't be considered unlucky with other chances he had. His touch was average at best, and he conceded possession frequently.

Did Roy know all this? 'Course not. Did he act in good faith? Absolutely. But I can't imagine that if he had had a time machine and knew what he'd offer, Roy would have taken Rooney at all.

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:18 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Wrote this elsewhere but it seems to accurately sum up the potato-headed miscreant:

As for those deluded enough to think that Wooney is anything better than exceedingly ordinary, or teetering on the brink of greatness: Bobbins. Bobbins with a load of knobs and bells on. He is a massive wet lettuce at international level and would be no loss if he was suddenly crushed to death by the combined weight of his monumentally petulent ego and extraordinarily poor hairpiece.

Anyone arguing with this summary is obviously a cretnious buffoon with little to no footballing knowledge.

I think anyone with even a modicum of football sense knew exactly what we were going to get out of Rooney at this tournament. Mediocrity.

On the other hand saddlerken thinks he is better than Bobby Charlton...

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 am

Cully, do you get your info on Super Wayne from shoot magazine? I hear there is still a glossy poster in the middle? must look bost on the wall of the office.

:arrow: oh oh...

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:11 pm

King Crimson wrote:Did Roy know all this? 'Course not. Did he act in good faith? Absolutely. But I can't imagine that if he had had a time machine and knew what he'd offer, Roy would have taken Rooney at all.

That's why I argued with colleagues at work and posted on here that Rooney shouldn't go when he was missing the first 2 games. We would either be virtually out of the tournament and not worth bothering with him, or the squad without him would've done well enough to qualify meaning it unfair to change a successful team. As it was he offered absolutely nothing to the team that A N Other player couldn't of at least matched.

Lord Cully of Rugeley disagrees though, which means we're all automatically wrong.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:11 pm

tinned wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Did Roy know all this? 'Course not. Did he act in good faith? Absolutely. But I can't imagine that if he had had a time machine and knew what he'd offer, Roy would have taken Rooney at all.

That's why I argued with colleagues at work and posted on here that Rooney shouldn't go when he was missing the first 2 games. We would either be virtually out of the tournament and not worth bothering with him, or the squad without him would've done well enough to qualify meaning it unfair to change a successful team. As it was he offered absolutely nothing to the team that A N Other player couldn't of at least matched.

Lord Cully of Rugeley disagrees though, which means we're all automatically wrong.

Does that mean we're all supposed to slate him by puttin up loads of posts about how we're not allowed an opinion and how dare he ram his down our throats?

PreviousNext
Return to England Highs & Lows