Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Time for Rooney to step up

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
User avatar
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Europe

Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:53 am

If he really is a world class player, there will never be a better time to prove it, by starring in what is universally agreed to be a very ordinary England side.

Come on Wayne, YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU.

User avatar
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Replacement Baby Is Here!

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:55 am

chestersaddler wrote:If he really is a world class player, there will never be a better time to prove it, by starring in what is universally agreed to be a very ordinary England side.

Come on Wayne, YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU.

Well, Ronaldo came to the party last night, so ............

User avatar
swiftyboy
Site Addict

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:03 am

chestersaddler wrote:If he really is a world class player, there will never be a better time to prove it, by starring in what is universally agreed to be a very ordinary England side.

Come on Wayne, YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU.

I disagree. The team did well enough without him on Friday. We looked dangerous going forward. He should start on the bench

User avatar
tinned
Site Addict

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:49 pm
Location: Same poo, different day!

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:21 pm

The most overated English footballer in years.

User avatar
swiftyboy
Site Addict

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:30 pm

tinned wrote:The most overated English footballer in years.

Just behind Rio Ferdinand

User avatar
Darth Vader
Site Addict

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:50 pm
Location: WS1

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:18 pm

Shouldn't start, but Hodgson has already stated he is.

User avatar
SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:06 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:44 pm

Rooney was great in Euro 2004 until he broke his foot.
He's been distinctly average for England ever since though!

User avatar
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Replacement Baby Is Here!

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:28 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:Rooney was great in Euro 2004 until he broke his foot.
He's been distinctly average for England ever since though!

Then the thread title is spot on, isn't it?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:24 pm

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:52 pm

tinned wrote:The most overated English footballer in years.

At 26 he has scored 144 goals in just over 300 games. 28 goals for England, making him the 9th top scorer of all time. Four league titles. One Champions League. Twice young player of the year, once footballer of the year.

If he's over-rated then we might as well just assume that every footballer ever is rubbish.

User avatar
tinned
Site Addict

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:49 pm
Location: Same poo, different day!

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:The most overated English footballer in years.

At 26 he has scored 144 goals in just over 300 games. 28 goals for England, making him the 9th top scorer of all time. Four league titles. One Champions League. Twice young player of the year, once footballer of the year.

If he's over-rated then we might as well just assume that every footballer ever is rubbish.

I'm talking what he's done for England (IMO mainly nothing, just sulks around). He may have shone at club level but (compared to the reputation he's got by the press) he's way overarted. He may be the nearest to world class we've got but that's like naming a Walsall player you think is the nearest to Premier League class.

User avatar
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Europe

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:41 pm

tinned wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:The most overated English footballer in years.

At 26 he has scored 144 goals in just over 300 games. 28 goals for England, making him the 9th top scorer of all time. Four league titles. One Champions League. Twice young player of the year, once footballer of the year.

If he's over-rated then we might as well just assume that every footballer ever is rubbish.

I'm talking what he's done for England (IMO mainly nothing, just sulks around). He may have shone at club level but (compared to the reputation he's got by the press) he's way overarted. He may be the nearest to world class we've got but that's like naming a Walsall player you think is the nearest to Premier League class.

He is certainly over hyped, but that is the way of the modern media and a majority of the punters.

User avatar
aaaae
Site Addict

Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:38 am
Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:58 pm

He's not scored a finals goal for England since 2004 - I won't be holding my breath...

User avatar
tinned
Site Addict

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:49 pm
Location: Same poo, different day!

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:05 pm

aaaæ™ wrote:He's not scored a finals goal for England since 2004 - I won't be holding my breath...

He's more interested in slagging off fans, that have taken weeks off work and travelled thousands of miles, because they have the nerve to voice their displeasure of the performances.

Arrogant, overpaid, overhyped Scouse chav.

Cully
Site Addict

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Rugeley.........pronounced RUDGELEE apparently

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:32 am

It would appear that most posters cannot recognise what an excellent footballer Rooney is both as a striker and the contribution he makes as a team player. No 'world class player' has a full 90 minutes during any game when they are outstanding, there are a number of variables that will affect his performance, the opponents, his team mates and the managers tactics. Anybody who watches him regularly over 90 mins would recognise this, when he plays for England, fans can be a little over expectant with unrealistic views on what he should do and how he performs regardless of any of the aforementioned reasons.

Why build players up to such a level of expectation? You don't have to like the bloke, he's hardly Gary Lineker but who cares, if he plays for England tonight and doesn't have a 'brilliant' game it won't be because he's a scouse chav, he's sulking or he can't be bothered.

:arrow:

User avatar
swiftyboy
Site Addict

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:58 am

Cully wrote:It would appear that most posters cannot recognise what an excellent footballer Rooney is both as a striker and the contribution he makes as a team player. No 'world class player' has a full 90 minutes during any game when they are outstanding, there are a number of variables that will affect his performance, the opponents, his team mates and the managers tactics. Anybody who watches him regularly over 90 mins would recognise this, when he plays for England, fans can be a little over expectant with unrealistic views on what he should do and how he performs regardless of any of the aforementioned reasons.

Why build players up to such a level of expectation? You don't have to like the bloke, he's hardly Gary Lineker but who cares, if he plays for England tonight and doesn't have a 'brilliant' game it won't be because he's a scouse chav, he's sulking or he can't be bothered.

:arrow:

No, you're right, it won't be be because of those reasons. It will probably be because he will be sent off for another stupid act of petulance

User avatar
Duke
Site Addict

Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Aldridge

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:15 am

He owes every English fan ,and he knows it .

User avatar
aaaae
Site Addict

Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:38 am
Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:33 am

[...]

I'm scratching my head here. You must have been watching Rooney in different England games to the ones I've watched over the last 8 years. I'm trying to judge him solely on his performances for England, it is irrelevant how he has played for Manchester United (mainly because the defending in the Premier League is so comical).

Just had a quick scan through the stats and totalling up the last 3 full season for England he's only scored 4 goals in 22 appearances. You say "anybody who watches him regularly over 90 mins", I'm not sure how you can do that either, since he has invariably been taken off at the 60-70 minute mark, which is hardly a ringing endorsement of his performance.

I really hope he plays a blinder tonight and scores a hat full, but if he does it won't be a performance that is typical of his matches in the recent past for England.

User avatar
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Replacement Baby Is Here!

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:57 am

Why pick on Rooney then? Can you honestly think of ANY England players who have? The so called World Class Gerrard has had comparatively few good games for England, and, in virtually all cases, it's probably the weight of expectation on them. You could even argue the same thing about Ronaldo or Messi, who havent often hit the heights they do for their clubs at International level.

User avatar
aaaae
Site Addict

Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:38 am
Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Why pick on Rooney then? Can you honestly think of ANY England players who have? The so called World Class Gerrard has had comparatively few good games for England.

Pick on him? Are we back in the playground?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:24 pm

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:13 pm

aaaæ™ wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Why pick on Rooney then? Can you honestly think of ANY England players who have? The so called World Class Gerrard has had comparatively few good games for England.

Pick on him? Are we back in the playground?

Bit facetious. Clearly he meant why single Rooney out? Has Terry been any better? Or Lampard? Or Gerrard?

The only England player who has consistently performed as well for his country as he has for his club during the last four or five years is Ashley Cole. Thankfully, since the golden generation tag has waned, it appears we have started selecting players who can perform well for England - Welbeck, Hart, Parker, Young (notwithstanding his last couple of games).

User avatar
4143
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:16 pm

>Rooney
>World class

User avatar
aaaae
Site Addict

Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:38 am
Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:35 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Why pick on Rooney then? Can you honestly think of ANY England players who have? The so called World Class Gerrard has had comparatively few good games for England.

Pick on him? Are we back in the playground?

Bit facetious. Clearly he meant why single Rooney out? Has Terry been any better? Or Lampard? Or Gerrard?

Errrrrrmm have you read the title of the thread?

User avatar
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Replacement Baby Is Here!

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:35 pm

aaaæ™ wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Why pick on Rooney then? Can you honestly think of ANY England players who have? The so called World Class Gerrard has had comparatively few good games for England.

Pick on him? Are we back in the playground?

Bit facetious. Clearly he meant why single Rooney out? Has Terry been any better? Or Lampard? Or Gerrard?

Errrrrrmm have you read the title of the thread?

Yes, I did. Why doesn't it read "time for all eleven to step up"?

User avatar
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Europe

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:
aaaæ™ wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Why pick on Rooney then? Can you honestly think of ANY England players who have? The so called World Class Gerrard has had comparatively few good games for England.

Pick on him? Are we back in the playground?

Bit facetious. Clearly he meant why single Rooney out? Has Terry been any better? Or Lampard? Or Gerrard?

Errrrrrmm have you read the title of the thread?

Yes, I did. Why doesn't it read "time for all eleven to step up"?

Because many of them are already doing so to even be playing at this level, I suppose.

If you read my initial post it was more in the spirit of Cometh the hour, Cometh the man, than a swipe at Rooney. He is for me the one player we have that can make THE difference if he gets it right.

User avatar
swiftyboy
Site Addict

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:29 pm

See? Rooney at international level= tripe. If it's not broke, don't try to fix it. Well done Roy :roll:

User avatar
tinned
Site Addict

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:49 pm
Location: Same poo, different day!

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm impressed with his darting runs into the box, his tackling back, the hatful of shots and headers he's rained on the Ukraine goal, the passes that he's attempted that just haven't been read by the other, inferior players.

Thank God we have him back!

Cully
Site Addict

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Rugeley.........pronounced RUDGELEE apparently

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:47 pm

tinned wrote:I'm impressed with his darting runs into the box, his tackling back, the hatful of shots and headers he's rained on the Ukraine goal, the passes that he's attempted that just haven't been read by the other, inferior players.

Thank God we have him back!

Thank god your not the England manager, that post is clueless. witless and nonsense. 29 goals in 75 appearances age 26 by the way.

User avatar
tinned
Site Addict

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:49 pm
Location: Same poo, different day!

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Cully wrote:
tinned wrote:I'm impressed with his darting runs into the box, his tackling back, the hatful of shots and headers he's rained on the Ukraine goal, the passes that he's attempted that just haven't been read by the other, inferior players.

Thank God we have him back!

Thank god your not the England manager, that post is clueless. witless and nonsense. 29 goals in 75 appearances age 26 by the way.

Ran the show didn't he? Head and shoulders above the other mere mortals.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:24 pm

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:05 pm

Comes back after a month without playing, scores the winner, England top the group.

And the first thing England fans do is have a sarcy pop at him. Typical rubbish from clueless morons.

User avatar
tinned
Site Addict

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:49 pm
Location: Same poo, different day!

Re: Time for Rooney to step up

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:13 pm

I was having "a pop" at him before the game. Overated by the media and himself. Anybody with the use of legs would've put that one away. So now we're saying that an ultra fit 26 year old is suffering from a few weeks without playing a game? Bleedin' hell.

I do believe what I say about him being overated but I must admit my patience with him snapped when he publically slagged of loyal fans that had dragged themselves to South Africa.

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests