Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

A bit unfair?

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

A bit unfair?

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Qualification from Group A has now been finalised, and although it's gone strictly by the Euro 2012 rules I do find myself feeling rather sorry for Russia. The Group A table ended with Russia and Greece having the same number of points, but Russia had much the better goal difference thanks to their 4-1 thumping of the Czech Republic. Russia's goal difference was +2 whereas Greece's was zero. However, Greece go forward to the quarter-finals solely because they beat Russia 1-0 in the head-to-head match.

If I was a Russian supporter I think I'd be feeling a little hard done by.........what do you think? :?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: A bit unfair?

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:03 pm

I think that the "head-to-head" decider method is fairer. It reduces the risk of "staged" results or one team having an easier game because their opponents are below strength (by choice or circumstance). Russia can hardly complain by being edged out by Greece as Greece beat them! Surely that's fair?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Rules is rules :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

A bit unfair?

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:50 pm

They can unfurl their "this is Russia" flag in the right place now.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:32 pm

Pedagogue wrote:I think that the "head-to-head" decider method is fairer. It reduces the risk of "staged" results or one team having an easier game because their opponents are below strength (by choice or circumstance). Russia can hardly complain by being edged out by Greece as Greece beat them! Surely that's fair?

The risk of "staged results" has already been catered for by having the third games of each group kicking off simultaneously. Would you therefore take the "head-to-head" method to our beloved League One, I wonder? Take the scenario where two (or more) teams finish on the borderline of relegation or promotion. Would you prefer goal difference to be dropped in favour of the respective head-to-head results? I have a suspicion that many years ago teams with equal points were separated by goal AVERAGE rather than goal DIFFERENCE. Is head-to-head better than both of those choices?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Is head-to-head better than both of those choices?

Yes! :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:I think that the "head-to-head" decider method is fairer. It reduces the risk of "staged" results or one team having an easier game because their opponents are below strength (by choice or circumstance). Russia can hardly complain by being edged out by Greece as Greece beat them! Surely that's fair?

The risk of "staged results" has already been catered for by having the third games of each group kicking off simultaneously. Would you therefore take the "head-to-head" method to our beloved League One, I wonder?

A league that lasts 9 months is totally different. Goal difference is less likely to be skewed by one freak result and teams' head-to-head record could refer to matches played months ago. In a six-game group, the fairest way of deciding which of two teams is better is surely by the result of the match that they have just played! I don't see why that is so hard to grasp?

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Agreed

Return to England Highs & Lows