Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England vs Sweden - 15/06/12

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:26 am

8pm KO

Is tonight the night we beat the Swede's for the 1st time ever in a competitive game?

2-1 England - Carroll first goalscorer - 40/1

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: England vs Sweden - 15/06/12

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:19 am

Isn't KO 7.45?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:56 pm

1-1 bore or victory by the odd goal.

Sweden will score!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Whatever happens we can't be as abject as the Oirish last night....I hope!

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:1-1 bore or victory by the odd goal.

Sweden will score!

No they wont !

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:30 pm

1-0 to us I hope, especially after seeing our Scandinavian regular's Facebook status earlier...

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:33 pm

1-1.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:55 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:1-1 bore or victory by the odd goal.

Sweden will score!

No they wont !

I hope not!

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:08 pm

What an absolutely terrible game of football from two utterly rubbish teams. England are so painful to watch in particular against teams that contain a bunch of ageing and average has beens. How we always conspire to give away the ball /possession so consistently I'll never know, from a brilliant start to that inevitable capitulation. Terrible free kicks, poor crosses, no marking, Ashley Young was awful consistently losing possession, so many players off their game or is it because they are so poor, we look so bad it reminds me of Walsall this season.

Well done Andy Carroll, Steven Gerrard and Joe Hart, the rest need to sort themselves out :evil:

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Oh and James Milner is garbage.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Cully wrote:Well done Andy Carroll, Steven Gerrard and Joe Hart, the rest need to sort themselves out :evil:

Add Wellbeck and Walcot to your list, and I agree.

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:15 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Cully wrote:Well done Andy Carroll, Steven Gerrard and Joe Hart, the rest need to sort themselves out :evil:

Wellbeck didn't have as good a game as against France, he seemed to have caught the England slug but I do agree that he can be added to my list after that brilliant finish.

...........you can also add Walcot if you like I suppose :arrow:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Certainly exciting!

Finally got there in the end. I suppose I'll not worry about the worrying stuff, just take the points and enjoy the win! :D

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:28 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Exactly, and Cole and Terry.

The negatives - Johnson, Parker, Young and Milner.

USELESS the 4 of them.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:34 pm

A very poor English team and an even worse display, 1-0 up 10 mins before half time we should have gone for the throat and put the game beyond hope.
But that was'nt to be and we had to wait for Walcotts wonder strike and the flick on across the face of goal that actually went in.
I'm not complaining, a win is a win and will probably take us through as group runners up to face Spain in round 2. Things will surely have to change if this is the case because at the moment we would just be embarrassed by the team that i saw destroy Ireland.
Every faith in RH, wish i could say the same about our so called super stars. Would keep Wellbeck and Carroll up front tho with Rooney just a step or two behind them.
C'mon England........................please :)

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:38 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

USELESS the 4 of them.

We're heading for the whole 11, the way we're going here!

Johnson, other than his crossing, did well defensively, covering a number of times. Parker just did his job - he isn't there to spray the ball about, although he wasn't as good as other games. Terry did well at times, but should have sorted Mellberg out in the box.

Young and Milner were both disappointing to be honest, and Cole didn't do anything other than what you'd expect - he got found too high up the pitch in the first half for sure.

Good result in the end, but as everyone is saying, we need to keep the ball and pass so much better.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Am I wrong to think that, if we do actually play Spain, we'll give them a real scare?

Before crashing out to Germany/ ANOther in the next round.

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:44 pm

PINNACLE wrote:A very poor English team and an even worse display, 1-0 up 10 mins before half time we should have gone for the throat and put the game beyond hope.

We just don't do that though do we? We have some very average players that I mistakenly thought could be moulded into a hard to beat team, a la Graydon but once again the real English disease spread through the entire team after half time and it took a freak strike to rescue us from inevitable defeat.

I'm fed up with watching England play like some third division international team.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Cully wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:A very poor English team and an even worse display, 1-0 up 10 mins before half time we should have gone for the throat and put the game beyond hope.

We just don't do that though do we? We have some very average players that I mistakenly thought could be moulded into a hard to beat team, a la Graydon but once again the real English disease spread through the entire team after half time and it took a freak strike to rescue us from inevitable defeat.

I'm fed up with watching England play like some third division international team.

It's a like a massive rollercoaster scooting along at full pelt with some broken tracks and free beer! Every so often an occupant is hurled into oblivion but the ride is so exhilarating! :D

Anyway - eat that Sweden - that's for all the misery over the years! GO HOME! :D

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:51 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Am I wrong to think that, if we do actually play Spain, we'll give them a real scare?

Before crashing out to Germany/ ANOther in the next round.

I think we should declare war on Spain if by some freak we actually get to play them. The initial offensive could be launched by ferry from Santander followed by a pincher movement from sj's villa high in the Andalucían mountains. Please advise your availability for such an operation and if you require warm clothing.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Cully wrote:

What really pees me off is the inability to get the ball and actually keep possession (i dont know how to spell possession so i have either got it right or wrong twice)(aint got time just now for google) The Swedish stats for the P word must be way considerab... (no, i cant spell considerably either unless once again i have fluked it) higher than ours, hmmmm now what was i talking about ?
Fun on here aint it :wink:

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:07 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

USELESS the 4 of them.

Cole was excellent until he started to let the ball bounce.

Johnson was the best of the back four.

Young was utter gash

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:35 pm

England had 52% of possession. Sweden scored a fluke first* and the second was an individual mistake from Glen Johnson. Apart from that they didn't threaten. I think people just arrive at a match with their pre-formed opinions which they'll spout after the game even if it doesn't actually, you know, match what happened.

* - also partly Johnson's fault for playing Mellberg onside.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:24 am

Registered Saddler wrote:England had 52% of possession. Sweden scored a fluke first* and the second was an individual mistake from Glen Johnson. Apart from that they didn't threaten. I think people just arrive at a match with their pre-formed opinions which they'll spout after the game even if it doesn't actually, you know, match what happened.

This. Heart yow, Reg.

*UTS Man Love*

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:05 am

bangsection wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:England had 52% of possession. Sweden scored a fluke first* and the second was an individual mistake from Glen Johnson. Apart from that they didn't threaten. I think people just arrive at a match with their pre-formed opinions which they'll spout after the game even if it doesn't actually, you know, match what happened.

This. Heart yow, Reg.

*UTS Man Love*

Spot on, both of y ou. Too many miserable buggers on here. That was, I remind people we have EVER beaten them in a competitive match, despite having supposedly much better teams in the past, whereas they are at their usual level (except in the Brohlin/Dahlin days). Woy WILL get it right. As has been pointed out by others, all three scorers were under 23 and, if Wellbeck's finish had come from a Spaniard, it would be be ing raved about.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:28 am

Only thing that worried me was the defence. The attackers surprised me by being able to break out of a system when told and that it to Roy's credit, the same with his subs.

As I said, the defence worried me. They deal with set pieces every game and got these horribly wrong.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:54 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Only thing that worried me was the defence. The attackers surprised me by being able to break out of a system when told and that it to Roy's credit, the same with his subs.

As I said, the defence worried me. They deal with set pieces every game and got these horribly wrong.

Weird, wasn't it?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:00 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Only thing that worried me was the defence. The attackers surprised me by being able to break out of a system when told and that it to Roy's credit, the same with his subs.

Weird, wasn't it?

Yep. Terry, Lescott and Hart should be eating it up, even against a player like Ibrahimovic.

We do seem to learn from our mistakes though. We didn't go *too* deep when we conceded and looked to get an escape route through Walcott and Welbeck especially.

I think so far, the FA's choice is being vindicated over the media's.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:09 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Weird, wasn't it?

Yep. Terry, Lescott and Hart should be eating it up, even against a player like Ibrahimovic.

We do seem to learn from our mistakes though. We didn't go *too* deep when we conceded and looked to get an escape route through Walcott and Welbeck especially.

I think so far, the FA's choice is being vindicated over the media's.

Easily. Especially as there are no questions about non playing matters with Roy

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:13 am

So far Roy has:
- coped with the loss of half a dozen squad members through injury
- fashioned a defensively-minded central midfield that knows where they need to be all the time and are rarely out of position
- held France (unbeaten in ages, including wins against Germany, Brazil and England) to secure a draw
- brought in Carroll to expose Sweden's weaknesses in the air...he scored from a header
- brought Walcott on to stretch the game...he scored one and set up one. Would have been two assists if Gerrard had put his chance away

That's not a bad start. But what's most impressive to me is the way he conducts himself in interviews. He is obviously knowledgeable about the game, explains his plans clearly and articulately, is modest about his own success while praising the players who have done well, and genuinely seems to enjoy and appreciate being England manager.

Of course it could all go catastrophically wrong against Ukraine, a decent side with vocal backing and Shevchenko itching for one last day in the sun, but for now I'm saying Roy is England's Ray Graydon.

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows