Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England vs Belgium

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

England vs Belgium

Thu May 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Anyone off here going? I'll be there for my first ever England game, just hope it doesn't end 0-0 :lol:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: England vs Belgium

Thu May 31, 2012 12:30 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Anyone off here going? I'll be there for my first ever England game, just hope it doesn't end 0-0 :lol:

A team of players desperate to avoid injury vs. a team representing the most boring country on Earth?

It's not looking good. :wink:

Jockey
UTS Legend

Thu May 31, 2012 6:06 pm

JD Sports rang me today and have said Ive won 2 tickets 8)

Sending them by courier tomorrow, so ill be there.

Going on National Express to Victoria, enjoying the scenery (and plenty of booze) then off to the game

Just hope Hodgson keeps most of them in cotton wool. Cant afford Stevie G or Parker to be ruled out

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu May 31, 2012 7:17 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Anyone off here going? I'll be there for my first ever England game, just hope it doesn't end 0-0 :lol:

40/50 odd quid you said they were didn't you mate? fudge that.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Belgium's midfield just made England look absolutely third rate.

Bet the French are bricking it. :roll: :|

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:43 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Belgium's midfield just made England look absolutely third rate.

Yeah, lots of movement from the likes of Mertens and Hazard.

I know we will have been taking a little easy to avoid any more injuries, and we kept a clean sheet, etc etc, but to be honest, I got quite bored watching it. Hope it'll be more interesting once we play in competitive matches.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:15 pm

We played an embarrassingly rigid 4-4-2, which is just far too dated a formation to deploy at that level. Rather than playing 'in the hole', Young played alongside Welbeck, which didn't offer anything to worry Belgium other than the few seconds in which we scored.

Milner looks rusty - unsurprising as he's a bit part player at Man City now. He's a work horse and nothing more, which is a shame.

Meanwhile, on the other flank we had Oxlade-Chamberlain - full of enthusiasm and without fear, but his inexperience showed. I'd actually play him against France on the basis that he looks about the only player we have in the entire squad (Rooney aside) with a cutting edge.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:32 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Belgium's midfield just made England look absolutely third rate.

Aint that what they have normally done in the last couple of European conflicts (i mean football tournaments) ?
Racist........Moi ? Non ! :wink:

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:39 am

Similar to the Norway game.

Nice winning - albeit low-key - appraoch to the championships. Keeps expectations realistic.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:41 am

PINNACLE wrote:

Aint that what they have normally done in the last couple of European conflicts (i mean football tournaments) ?
Racist........Moi ? Non ! :wink:

They were OK in WW1 with dogged resistance at Verdun and Sedan etc, although they did effectively break at one point.

WW2 was the biggest humiliation. And the French resistance was very quiet until the later stages of the war. Not a good show at all.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:17 pm

I went, top day out, good banter with the belgium fans before and after - saw a few faces i recognised from walsall games as well

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:48 pm

I was very dissapointed with England last night. :( :oops:
There was very little movement and lack of decent passing and keeping the ball.
Stevie G was the pick of the England players IMO.
Glen Johnson gave the ball away far too cheaply and the best left back in the world was exposed too many times.
Milner was a work Horse but lacked quality, with Ashley Young getting muscled off the ball too often.
We were at home against the Farbic Belgiuque's, and looked poor. I really fear for us in the Euro's, but's lets look on the positive side----I'll accept playing like that providing we win.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Darth Vader wrote:

40/50 odd quid you said they were didn't you mate? **** that.

Turns out the tickets we had were £35.Anyway it was a thoroughly enjoyable day (regardless of the result) and it was well worth £35 just to see the National Stadium before i die because i certainly won't see Walsall get there.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:07 pm

France have their own worries. Despite claims that Lauren Blanc's team won't be the strikers and malcontents we've come to love, this sort of stuff can't help :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro20 ... ottom.html

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

Turns out the tickets we had were £35.Anyway it was a thoroughly enjoyable day (regardless of the result) and it was well worth £35 just to see the National Stadium before i die because i certainly won't see Walsall get there.

:lol:

Next season.

JPT.

Yes, yes.

Greg Oxley
UTS Veteran

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Not attractive but effective.
Don't totally agree with all selections - Carroll over Crouch, Johnson over Richards however I bet those several players that refused a place on the standby list hadn't. Not a lot of pressure on the players to win and I hope Roy uses Euro2012 to work out whats best for the World Cup

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:12 am

Darth Vader wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

:lol:

Next season.

JPT.

Yes, yes.

Good joke that! :lol:

Return to England Highs & Lows