Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

england vs switzerland

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Rob Harvey
Glitterati

England vs Switzerland 04/06/11

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Anybody watching this in a bit?

I sincerely hope we batter Switzerland if only to upset Blatter a little bit. I can't stand that leech!

Predictions?

3-0 England

Bent
Zamora
Terry

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:21 pm

We are cack! Discuss.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: england vs switzerland

Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:55 pm

What an over reaction. Two flukes.

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:59 pm

latviancheese wrote:What an over reaction. Two flukes.

Still ain't very good tho! We won't win a trophy for a very long time!

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:31 pm

Tend agree much better second half

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:35 pm

Whilst not brilliant we havent been shite.

I think it says everything that a young swiss team shows more creativity and skill.

And lets face it if you play Villa retards what do you expect.

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:37 pm

latviancheese wrote:Whilst not brilliant we havent been shite.

I think it says everything that a young swiss team shows more creativity and skill.

And lets face it if you play Villa retards what do you expect.

See, you're halfway to admitting it :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:50 pm

:P

Both teams were clearly shattered towards the end too.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Milner & Walcott are awful.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:45 pm

I find international football (Englands games anyway) very boring. Its even worse on ITV, who's broadcasting of football is awful. Andy Townsend as a co-commentator is so annoying.

Also, how is Rio Ferdinand in the England, or manchester united team for that matter. Last season I watched 2 or 3 united games within a week or so, and I didnt see what Ferdinand contributed apart from booting the ball away when Vidic had tackled someone. Really dont rate him.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

england vs switzerland

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:59 pm

We am kak!

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Actually, we're not. We ain't top class by any stretch, but we're no better or worse than we were this morning. However, we don't do ourselves any favours sometimes by picking the wrong team.

I'm not sure why Adam Johnson and Crouch didn't play today (were they injured?) but the setup was wrong. We should have gone with this

-----------------------Hart-----------------------
-G Johnson---Ferdinand----Terry-----A Cole-
-------Milner--------Parker------Wilshere-----
-----A Johnson----Crouch-------A Young------

They say form is temporary and class is permanant. Your form can vary but you will always return to your natural level, and I think Darren Bent did that today. Proving, hopefully once and for all, that he is NOT International class, and never will be.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

england vs switzerland

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Flukes? Are you kidding? It's just more proof that our ageing defence is past it. Why keep persevering with Terry and Ferdinand when they are cack?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:48 pm

swiftyboy wrote:

Flukes? Are you kidding? It's just more proof that our ageing defence is past it. Why keep persevering with Terry and Ferdinand when they are cack?

I agree they are past it.

The goals were still flukes, freaks or whataver you want to call them.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

england vs switzerland

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:23 pm

latviancheese wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

Flukes? Are you kidding? It's just more proof that our ageing defence is past it. Why keep persevering with Terry and Ferdinand when they are guano?

I agree they are past it.

The goals were still flukes, freaks or whataver you want to call them.

The first was only a fluke due to that amazing quality defender Ferdinand. Did he have lead in his boots or what? Any defender that fails to jump an inch off the floor to clear a fairly low cross, shouldn't be on the pitch. Ferdinand is a mouthy arrogant cack defender

SWS1

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Their goals were a touch fortunate and Bent did miss a couple of sitters but we were NOT good. I get the feeling that the Barcelona team would have wiped the floor with either of the two teams this afternoon. However, I do think that the players looked jaded and, frankly, knackered towards the end. There was just no run in them. Positional play was poor and they seemed clueless on occasion. Our season is much too long and is driven by money - loads of tournaments, too many games, poor preparation. Agree that Terry and Ferdinand are beginning to look their age but, tell you what, England have looked even more vulnerable when they were not playing - we just don't seem to have any very obvious world-class replacements. Can't see us winning anything but, like with Walsall, will continue to support and HOPE!
:)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:30 pm

The two goals scored by Switzerland did NOT seem like flukes or freaks to me. The problem is that the England team have attended the same "How to defend at set pieces" school as Walsall did for much of last season. How on earth was Hart supposed to even see where the ball was coming from (at the Swiss free kick) when his "wall" of 2 defenders parted as the ball was kicked - they weren't interested in looking where the ball was going, and it's supposed to be their job to block any attempt on goal. :roll: They both turned away, and for all the good they did they would have been better not being there at all.

Having said that, I wasn't too impressed with Hart's performance with either goal. For a nation with a long tradition of producing top-notch goalkeepers, we've been going through a rather thin time of it for quite a few seasons now. Rob Green..... Scott Carson....... it's almost as bad as the Scottish days of Alan Rough :lol:

The general impression (to me) was that the Swiss were (a) faster on the ball than we were, (b) passed the ball more accurately than we did, (c) controlled the ball better at the first touch, and (d) appeared to have more energy, determination and nous than we did. Or am I being over-critical of England?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:43 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:The two goals scored by Switzerland did NOT seem like flukes or freaks to me. The problem is that the England team have attended the same "How to defend at set pieces" school as Walsall did for much of last season. How on earth was Hart supposed to even see where the ball was coming from (at the Swiss free kick) when his "wall" of 2 defenders parted as the ball was kicked - they weren't interested in looking where the ball was going, and it's supposed to be their job to block any attempt on goal. :roll: They both turned away, and for all the good they did they would have been better not being there at all.

Having said that, I wasn't too impressed with Hart's performance with either goal. For a nation with a long tradition of producing top-notch goalkeepers, we've been going through a rather thin time of it for quite a few seasons now. Rob Green..... Scott Carson....... it's almost as bad as the Scottish days of Alan Rough :lol:

The general impression (to me) was that the Swiss were (a) faster on the ball than we were, (b) passed the ball more accurately than we did, (c) controlled the ball better at the first touch, and (d) appeared to have more energy, determination and nous than we did. Or am I being over-critical of England?

No, you're not.

It all boils down to the players being a) thick, b) overpaid for their talents (let's be honest, all footballers are overpaid) thus lacking a hunger to compete, c) lack basic technique and skills.

People dare say that Wilshere, Lampard and Parker are great players... They got totally outshone by Inler and Barnetta.

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:No, you're not.

It all boils down to the players being a) thick, b) overpaid for their talents (let's be honest, all footballers are overpaid) thus lacking a hunger to compete, c) lack basic technique and skills.

People dare say that Wilshere, Lampard and Parker are great players... They got totally outshone by Inler and Barnetta.

I think Wilshere did well overall. I agree with Lampard and Parker though. Lampard has got a battle on now, no longer a regular!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:28 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:The two goals scored by Switzerland did NOT seem like flukes or freaks to me. The problem is that the England team have attended the same "How to defend at set pieces" school as Walsall did for much of last season. How on earth was Hart supposed to even see where the ball was coming from (at the Swiss free kick) when his "wall" of 2 defenders parted as the ball was kicked - they weren't interested in looking where the ball was going, and it's supposed to be their job to block any attempt on goal. :roll: They both turned away, and for all the good they did they would have been better not being there at all.

No, you're not.

Agree. Switzerland's second goal was parks football at best. And rubbish parks football at that.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:50 pm

Top notch goalkeepers? Since when.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 pm

latviancheese wrote:Top notch goalkeepers? Since when.

As I said, we've had quite a thin time of it for quite a few seasons now......... (goalkeeper-wise, that is)

Putting on my grumpy-old-man hat, I go back to the likes of Ray Clemence, Peter Shilton, Gordon Banks, ex-Walsall Phil Parkes, and further back to Gil Merrick and Bert Williams. None of them the kind of keeper that you could say would ever be nutmegged, for example. The current crop of England keepers do seem to have the knack of dropping at least one clanger a game - Rob Green, Scott Carson, Joe Hart......... :roll:

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Top notch goalkeepers? Since when.

As I said, we've had quite a thin time of it for quite a few seasons now......... (goalkeeper-wise, that is)

Putting on my grumpy-old-man hat, I go back to the likes of Ray Clemence, Peter Shilton, Gordon Banks, ex-Walsall Phil Parkes, and further back to Gil Merrick and Bert Williams. None of them the kind of keeper that you could say would ever be nutmegged, for example. The current crop of England keepers do seem to have the knack of dropping at least one clanger a game - Rob Green, Scott Carson, Joe Hart......... :roll:

Was he the English grandparent of our ex Spanish GK Gil Martin? :mrgreen:

Return to England Highs & Lows