Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Netherlands vs. Spain. WORLD CUP FINAL 11/07/2010

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Netherlands vs. Spain. WORLD CUP FINAL 11/07/2010

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:17 pm

First of, Webb was utter tat. He fell for every spanish dive, and did not book any spanish players surrounding the ref every time.Xavi and Busquets are disgaceful players.

How Van Bommel did not get sent off is beyond me.

The Spanish cannot win with any class, and im sick of the pundits bumming them. They are boring to watch.

Elia was fouled, well if he had been a Spanish player it would of been.

Robben is a leper.

The goalies were the only stand out players.

Drivel.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I agree completely! Spain played the game and no other team even came close to playing at their level. Superb football!

Slightly overdoing the plaudits mate... yes they can pass, yes they deserved to win... but nowhere near as good as you are making out IMHO.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:19 pm

I agree with Latvian... I find them dull to watch too. Technically great, but then I was a champion at keepie uppies, but crap when it came to an all round game :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:I agree with Latvian... I find them dull to watch too. Technically great, but then I was a champion at keepie uppies, but crap when it came to an all round game :mrgreen:

Superb they are not, they are laughable at defending. Mel Gibson plays centre half for christs sake!

The day Busquets gets his commupence for being a cheating cock, will be a fine day indeed.

Words cannot describe how much i loathe Spain. Not just the football, everything :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:30 pm

Thank goodness for the right result.

Spain are quite superb - passing to drool over and first touch that Gareth Barry can only ever dream about.

Possibly the best team in the world cup since........who?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:56 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Thank goodness for the right result.

Spain are quite superb - passing to drool over and first touch that Gareth Barry can only ever dream about.

Possibly the best team in the world cup since........who?

You think ? mmm, on paper that is what they should be, but in reality they are nothing special . I actually think they were pretty damn lucky tonight, Robben would usually bury that chance, and Howard Webb surely had Spain in some kind of bet.

No way are they one of the best teams ever to grace the World Cup, it was a truly awful World Cup from the first game to the last. Thank god it's over.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:28 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I agree completely! Spain played the game and no other team even came close to playing at their level. Superb football!

Slightly overdoing the plaudits mate... yes they can pass, yes they deserved to win... but nowhere near as good as you are making out IMHO.

Agreed ... but then we have come to expect such ridiculous hyperbole about Spanish football from Metfanwy. :lol: They have been disappointing (along with many other teams) in a disappointing World Cup. However, they certainly deserved to win the Final against a cynical bunch of Dutch cloggers (pun intended!).

It was said that the KNVB (Dutch FA) will receive 44 million US dollars as prize money for finishing runners-up. They should be fined half of that for their display, tonight.

Howard Webb was on a loser tonight. He tried to man-manage the match (which is the best refereeing technique) but the Dutch hatchet men and the Spanish divers interpreted that as a sign of weakness. Webb, conscious of the fact that this was the biggest football match in the world, watched by millions, tried to keep 22 players on the pitch. He has been slagged off for tonight but, had he dismissed van Bommel and de Jong, in the first half, he would have been slated for ruining the game as a spectacle - damned if he did and damned if he didn't. As a police sergeant in darkest Rotherham, Webb knows that if de Jong had committed that act in the street, he (de Jong) would have been sent to prison.

Will FIFA take action against Holland? Will they bo****ks!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:

Agreed ... but then we have come to expect such ridiculous hyperbole about Spanish football from Metfanwy. :lol: They have been disappointing (along with many other teams) in a disappointing World Cup. However, they certainly deserved to win the Final against a cynical bunch of Dutch cloggers (pun intended!).

It was said that the KNVB (Dutch FA) will receive 44 million US dollars as prize money for finishing runners-up. They should be fined half of that for their display, tonight.

Howard Webb was on a loser tonight. He tried to man-manage the match (which is the best refereeing technique) but the Dutch hatchet men and the Spanish divers interpreted that as a sign of weakness. Webb, conscious of the fact that this was the biggest football match in the world, watched by millions, tried to keep 22 players on the pitch. He has been slagged off for tonight but, had he dismissed van Bommel and de Jong, in the first half, he would have been slated for ruining the game as a spectacle - damned if he did and damned if he didn't. As a police sergeant in darkest Rotherham, Webb knows that if de Jong had committed that act in the street, he (de Jong) would have been sent to prison.

Will FIFA take action against Holland? Will they bo****ks!

Disagree, if they played Spain at attacking football they were never going to win, they almost played it to perfection in my opinion. Spain are the better side, but Holland have a duty to do the best they can to win, any way they can.

I don't blame Howard Webb for the goal, they had enough chances to clear it themselves, but yet again he made ridiculous mistakes. Foul before the goal, bleedin goal kick given when a free kick took a ten foot deflection for an obvious corner just before that. Specsavers ?

He should have sent of De Jong, they made light of it on TV but if that isn't a dangerous tackle then I don't know what is. It isn't his job to make a spectacle ( I mean it was hardly thrilling was it as it was ?) It is his job to make good decisions based on the rules and a bit of common sense.

Praise him up if you like, but I think he made a right dogs ear of it all, and I think he does too.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:37 pm

At least he consistent, consitently shite.

I forgot about that corner that never was, it wasnt the only one either.

De Jong should of been sent off, it was a rather ridiculous challenge.

I dont really agree that the dutch were "cloggers" as such, a bit naughty at times but Spain are a fudge disgrace on the pitch. Will they be punished for play acting not even seen in a toddlers playgroup? No. Will they be punished for surrounding the ref? No Will they be punished for waving imaginary cards? No. Will Iniesta be punished for the illegal message on his shirt? No.

Spanish football is slow, boring and crap. 400 passes does not mean entertainment. I think Metfan has a fetish for girly men doing things with a bag of wind.

Spain are about as classy as a leopard print rug.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:50 am

latviancheese wrote:.. Spain are a fudge disgrace on the pitch.
Will they be punished for play acting, not even seen in a toddlers playgroup? No
Will they be punished for surrounding the ref? No
Will they be punished for waving imaginary cards? No
Will Iniesta be punished for the illegal message on his shirt? No.

Spanish football is slow, boring and crap. 400 passes do not mean entertainment.
I think that Metfan has a fetish for girly men, doing things with a bag of wind.

Spain are about as classy as a leopard print rug.

Come on now, latvian - get off the fence. What do you really think of Spain? :mrgreen:

P.S. Iniesta's t-shirt writing did not contravene FIFA guidelines, being neither political nor controversial.

P.P.S. Agree with you about Metfanwy's comments, though - very worrying to see such a closed mind in a research scientist! :mrgreen:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:08 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Disagree, if they played Spain at attacking football they were never going to win, they almost played it to perfection in my opinion. Spain are the better side, but Holland have a duty to do the best they can to win, any way they can.

Are you condoning the cynical Dutch approach, Blazing - because that's the way that your post reads?

Blazing_Saddler wrote:I don't blame Howard Webb for the goal. The Dutch had enough chances to clear it themselves, but, yet again, he made ridiculous mistakes. Foul before the goal, bleedin' goal kick given when a free kick took a ten foot deflection for an obvious corner just before that. Specsavers ?

He should have sent off de Jong. They made light of it on TV but if that isn't a dangerous tackle then I don't know what is. It isn't his job to make a spectacle (I mean it was hardly thrilling was it as it was?). It is his job to make good decisions based on the laws and a bit of common sense.

Praise him up if you like, but I think he made a right dog's ear of it all, and I think he does too.

I don't remember praising Howard Webb. In fact, I thought that he had a VERY disappointing game (and I agree with you, I'm sure that he knows it, too). What I was trying to do was put his performance in context. He was in a "no win" situation. The responsibility for putting on a spectacle lies, first and foremost, with the players. Did Webb go around cynically clogging players? No - Holland did. Did he roll around on the pitch, trying to get players sent off? No - BOTH teams did.

Referees don't foul and cheat - players do. Webb's principal failure was to be too lenient on the Dutch, in the first half.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:33 am

Whitti Steve wrote:

Completely agree. How many 1-0 wins is that in a row now? Lowest goal scoring winners of any World Cup I think and that in a World cup where the 3rd place team scored 12 over 3 games. I remember when many on here slated Chelsea a few years ago for playing a very similar style of football under Mourinho.

Spain won with very little class and dignity last night. To do that you need to avoid rolling around on the floor and waving imaginary yellow cards to the ref and surrounding him like United used to do.

If the Dutch had calmed down a little they would've won last night, no doubt about it. From Spain I saw passing across midfield but not going forward until toward the end of the game, an anonymous attack and a right back more concerned with grabbing headlines than defending. It's was a good job that he had Kuyt attacking him and no one else.

Throughout that tournament i saw some good passing from Spain but absolutely no scintilating (sp?) football that the pundits seems so eager to press home. A point proven by Shearer's (i think it was him) comment of "there may well have been a foul leading up to the Spanish goal, but who cares". Those who don't bow down to Spain at every opportunity do Wor Alan.
Even when Spain were dire and shut down by the Swiss in their opening game all the analysts did was talk about how wonderful they really were.
For me, the best team went out in the semis as odd as that may sound.

And I actually thought Howard Webb, minus a couple of big decisions did very well in a very, very tough game to referee. One team had the tactic of going in over the top on the opposition and one team had the tactic of conning the ref at every opportunity and surrounding him whenever they got the chance to. There were times when even more yellows could've been issued but i understand why he didn't, and the Dutch should've won the game in normal time and therefore wouldn't have surrounded the ref at the end.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:43 am

What a rubbish final; a fitting end to a disappointing World Cup.

I actually felt sorry for Howard Webb last night as he was put in an impossible position. It was very difficult for him to come out of the game with credit. Had he seen everything and refereed by the letter of the law then their could have been at least 6 red cards. De Jong should have got a straight red card for committing GBH of Xabi Alonso. Van Bommel could have picked up two bookings at least twice. Heitinga did get sent off. Robben should have got his second booking for kicking the ball away.

For Spain, Puyol should have walked for pulling Robben back when already on a yellow card, it was only Robben staying on his feet that saved him. And if Iniesta had been booked for his off the ball spat with Van Bommel in the first half then he'd have picked up a second yellow for taking his shirt off when he scored.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:37 am

Pedagogue wrote:P.P.S. Agree with you about Metfanwy's comments, though - very worrying to see such a closed mind in a research scientist! :mrgreen:

He'll be reporting on anthropogenic global warming next. :mrgreen:

(it's all in the head)

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Disagree, if they played Spain at attacking football they were never going to win, they almost played it to perfection in my opinion. Spain are the better side, but Holland have a duty to do the best they can to win, any way they can.

Are you condoning the cynical Dutch approach, Blazing - because that's the way that your post reads?

Blazing_Saddler wrote:I don't blame Howard Webb for the goal. The Dutch had enough chances to clear it themselves, but, yet again, he made ridiculous mistakes. Foul before the goal, bleedin' goal kick given when a free kick took a ten foot deflection for an obvious corner just before that. Specsavers ?

He should have sent off de Jong. They made light of it on TV but if that isn't a dangerous tackle then I don't know what is. It isn't his job to make a spectacle (I mean it was hardly thrilling was it as it was?). It is his job to make good decisions based on the laws and a bit of common sense.

Praise him up if you like, but I think he made a right dog's ear of it all, and I think he does too.

I don't remember praising Howard Webb. In fact, I thought that he had a VERY disappointing game (and I agree with you, I'm sure that he knows it, too). What I was trying to do was put his performance in context. He was in a "no win" situation. The responsibility for putting on a spectacle lies, first and foremost, with the players. Did Webb go around cynically clogging players? No - Holland did. Did he roll around on the pitch, trying to get players sent off? No - BOTH teams did.

Referees don't foul and cheat - players do. Webb's principal failure was to be too lenient on the Dutch, in the first half.

Yes, if it had won them the World Cup, okay it didn't but it was there best chance, and another day Robben scores and they probably go on to win it. I like winning, winning at all costs. No one will remember in years to come how it was won. It was actually Howard Webbs job to deal with it, which he did try to an extent, but there definitely should have been a red card for that tackle on Alonso. It matters not about the spectacle. Van Bommel was also very close to the line, but in fairness, he should have gone in previous games too in my opinion.

It wasn't an easy match to ref though, and he is still on of the better ones around.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:15 am

priestley_saddler wrote:If Iniesta had been booked for his off the ball spat with Van Bommel in the first half then he'd have picked up a second yellow for taking his shirt off when he scored.

You think if Iniesta had already been booked he'd have taken his shirt off when he scored?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:19 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:... It wasn't an easy match to ref though, ...

That must be THE understatement of the year! :D :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:20 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:... It wasn't an easy match to ref though, ...

That must be THE understatement of the year! :D :D

It wasn't an easy match to watch either ! :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:03 am

Ahhh such close minded opinions! :wink:

Let me explain why Spain I think Spain are the beat team in the world and Europe.. No hyperbole there mr pedogoguguhugue - because they are.

I went to the national Brazilian academy for 6 years. The major tenets of the game I was taught were first touch, movement, first touch, possession, movement, first touch and so on...

Brazil play the exact same system as Spain and no one has moaned about them have they in history? Keep the ball, be supremely confident under pressure and want to have the ball. The english were scared to have it, could not control a ball and lost possession with aimless hoofs up field - it astounds me that people actually seriously believe that is more entertaining!! People wonder why we are rubbish on the world stage - that is why. Skill is coached out of our youngsters whereas in other countries it is actively encouraged - until that change then we have no chance.

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:47 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Ahhh such close minded opinions! :wink:

Let me explain why Spain I think Spain are the beat team in the world and Europe.. No hyperbole there mr pedogoguguhugue - because they are.

I went to the national Brazilian academy for 6 years. The major tenets of the game I was taught were first touch, movement, first touch, possession, movement, first touch and so on...

Brazil play the exact same system as Spain and no one has moaned about them have they in history? Keep the ball, be supremely confident under pressure and want to have the ball. The english were scared to have it, could not control a ball and lost possession with aimless hoofs up field - it astounds me that people actually seriously believe that is more entertaining!! People wonder why we are rubbish on the world stage - that is why. Skill is coached out of our youngsters whereas in other countries it is actively encouraged - until that change then we have no chance.

Agreed 100%. The sad thing is that in the early eighties it was understood by many of the best coaches in the English game, most prominently by Brian Clough, but also Paisley, Lyle, Robson etc etc (and even in our own case Alan Buckley). Where did it all go wrong?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:13 pm

England being bad does not make Spain good or entertaining. Classic straw man argument, must do better.

Spain love passing the ball 15 yards in non threatening areas. And they're all good at it. Big deal. Beyond that they have Villa (and Torres had he been playing at his best) but that's it. No one wants to get in the box, no one can put a cross in, no one gets out wide, hardly anyone runs with it. They reduce football to a single skill, passing the ball sideways on the halfway line, a talent mastered by Ray Wilkins and rugby players. Quite how they managed to keep four clean sheets in a row is beyond me as their defenders are slow, cumbersome and roll on the floor crying every time a bigger boy goes near them. Perhaps they just bored the opposition into submission. If that's international football at its best then I'm glad we won't have to put up with it for another two years.

(Incidentally, far from having closed minds, what English fans want to see is a faster pace of football, similar to what we saw from England in qualifying. Typically this involves pressing high up the field to win the ball back in the opposition half. Moving the ball wide and pushing the full-backs forward. Putting crosses into the box from near the byline. You get the picture. Requires no less skill to be played effectively and is infinitely more pleasing on the eye).

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:15 pm

But Spain DON'T play like Brazil (used to) though!! You say they're taught to but last night and for the last 2 years they've not even come close to how the traditionalist would view Brazil. They've gone backwards in the style of their play since Euro 2008. The Spanish team we saw last night doesn't touch what we used to see in a Brazil team, they're far, far more boring to watch, arrogant in what they do, nonchalant in the final 3rd and I feel they often show complete supercilious behaviour to the opposition and in particular the referee.

For all their tiki taka football or what ever it's called (and there really wasn't much of it throughout their run to the final, regardless of what you or Alan Hansen would say) their conning antics and waving of cards were as bad as the tackles the Dutch were flying in with.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:No one wants to get in the box, no one can put a cross in, no one gets out wide, hardly anyone runs with it. They reduce football to a single skill, passing the ball sideways on the halfway line.

Are we sure Colin Lee is not involved in the Spanish team? :lol:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:England being bad does not make Spain good or entertaining. Classic straw man argument, must do better.

Spain love passing the ball 15 yards in non threatening areas. And they're all good at it. Big deal. Beyond that they have Villa (and Torres had he been playing at his best) but that's it. No one wants to get in the box, no one can put a cross in, no one gets out wide, hardly anyone runs with it. They reduce football to a single skill, passing the ball sideways on the halfway line, a talent mastered by Ray Wilkins and rugby players. Quite how they managed to keep four clean sheets in a row is beyond me as their defenders are slow, cumbersome and roll on the floor crying every time a bigger boy goes near them. Perhaps they just bored the opposition into submission. If that's international football at its best then I'm glad we won't have to put up with it for another two years.

(Incidentally, far from having closed minds, what English fans want to see is a faster pace of football, similar to what we saw from England in qualifying. Typically this involves pressing high up the field to win the ball back in the opposition half. Moving the ball wide and pushing the full-backs forward. Putting crosses into the box from near the byline. You get the picture. Requires no less skill to be played effectively and is infinitely more pleasing on the eye).

classic straw man??? I think you need to actually read what I said. Just for you here's a recap: Spain are the best team in the world because they can pass, move, control a ball, beat a man, be comfortable on the ball, receive ball under pressure etc etc. If you had bothered to read my post you may have understood.

F- : must try harder.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Beat a man? hmm.

Only when Navas came on, and he only did it two or three times.

Comfortable on the ball, but how many of times do you see them try to break a defence with a pass? Two, maybe three times a match.

Spain are only World class in their midfield, plus Villa.
Last edited by latviancheese on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Do they teach diving at the Brazilian whatever academy too?

Id rather teach a load of honest players with no skill, than teach skillfull players with that kind of attitude.

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Spain are only the third team to be World Champions and European Champions and people are lining up to say they're rubbish and they'd rather watch England play!! England were utterly utterly rubbish, amongst the very worst teams in this tournament.

I give up!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:31 pm

PJD wrote:Spain are only the third team to be World Champions and European Champions and people are lining up to say they're rubbish and they'd rather watch England play!! England were utterly utterly rubbish, amongst the very worst teams in this tournament.

I give up!!

I day say they were Rubbish :wink:

Boring,diving, and over bummed though.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:39 pm

saddlersam wrote:

But Spain DON'T play like Brazil (used to) though!! You say they're taught to but last night and for the last 2 years they've not even come close to how the traditionalist would view Brazil. They've gone backwards in the style of their play since Euro 2008. The Spanish team we saw last night doesn't touch what we used to see in a Brazil team, they're far, far more boring to watch, arrogant in what they do, nonchalant in the final 3rd and I feel they often show complete supercilious behaviour to the opposition and in particular the referee.

For all their tiki taka football or what ever it's called (and there really wasn't much of it throughout their run to the final, regardless of what you or Alan Hansen would say) their conning antics and waving of cards were as bad as the tackles the Dutch were flying in with.

alright Sam. Well I think we saw a different Spain because every single team parked the bus with 11 men behind the ball -that is extremely hard to break down at international level. If any side would have given them space you would have seen a far more enterprising and direct Spain..

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:43 pm

Either way Robben should of finished it. Another vastly over hyped player.

PreviousNext
Return to England Highs & Lows