Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Capello Promises to Axe 'Stars'

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Capello Promises to Axe 'Stars'

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:12 pm

Exile wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:If we really want to win tournaments, everything else must be subservient to that aim.

Are you going to write to the Premier League clubs and tell them that? :D

Think you'll find that the pursuit of money is an obsessive focus that precludes anything else.

I think Neil is living in sort of dream world or a bubble that only he is in.
:roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:21 pm

Joe Cole - out of contract after Chelsea rejected his wage demands, still asking for a hundred grand a week after being a bit part player for the last season. Beggars belief.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:43 am

Exile wrote:Joe Cole - out of contract after Chelsea rejected his wage demands, still asking for a hundred grand a week after being a bit part player for the last season. Beggars belief.

Thing is, he always seems a decent enough bloke who just wants to play football. Why does he want to be the new Winston Bogarde? For a few more quid?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:52 am

Exile wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:If we really want to win tournaments, everything else must be subservient to that aim.

Think you'll find that the pursuit of money is an obsessive focus that precludes anything else.

Then the only answer is grab football back from the money obsessed premier League, or accept the fact that England will never improve and will never win anything and stop building them up to be what they are not.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Exile wrote:

Then the only answer is grab football back from the money obsessed premier League, or accept the fact that England will never improve and will never win anything and stop building them up to be what they are not.

Oh I see.
There is me thinking England is a country with freedom of speech! :roll:
You do come out with twaddle sometimes Neil.
How do you purpose the tv/press to be stop building the team up, thats what they do every tournment. Get used to it.

You will never grab football back from the "money obsessed premier league" as you put it, get used to that as well mate. :wink:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:41 am

Exile wrote:Joe Cole - out of contract after Chelsea rejected his wage demands, still asking for a hundred grand a week after being a bit part player for the last season. Beggars belief.

Someone will offer him the goods though, or near enough at least.
Thats football I am afraid at the moment, and not just in the English Premier League.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:57 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Exile wrote:

Oh I see.
How do you purpose the tv/press to be stop building the team up, thats what they do every tournment. Get used to it.

You will never grab football back from the "money obsessed premier league" as you put it, get used to that as well mate. :wink:

The Premier League MUST use their resources to develop playing talent that will provide for international success with the England team at all levels - with the status of World Champions being the realistic goal.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:50 am

PJD wrote:The Premier League DO use their resources to buy international playing talent that will provide for success for their team at all competition levels - with the status of Champions League Champions being the realistic goal.

There, that's better.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:15 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Exile wrote:

Oh I see.

Then you'd better get used to England being crap

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Cor wait for the Premier League to go pop, sooner the better for everybody!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:28 pm

It makes you laugh when you consider the Premier League is totally to blame for Englands dismal showing in the World Cup, that is what people are saying and of course its utter tosh.
As the Premier League did not exist until 1992 I believe.
So then between 1966 and 1992, what was to blame?
Basically apart from 1990, England have performed no worse in the World Cup since the Premier League began then before it. FACT!
One of the main core problems we have is that kids in this country would rather play 3 hours on a play station or on facebook then play football. Thats were the talent loss starts and thats were it needs to be addressed.

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:35 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:It makes you laugh when you consider the Premier League is totally to blame for Englands dismal showing in the World Cup, that is what people are saying and of course its utter tosh.
Basically apart from 1990, England have performed no worse in the World Cup since the Premier League began then before it. FACT!
One of the main core problems we have is that kids in this country would rather play 3 hours on a play station or on facebook then play football. Thats were the talent loss starts and thats were it needs to be addressed.

Do you have any kids Sheff? I have a couple and hence know lots more from school. The boys are all mad keen on footie, especially now the world cup is on. How many times do you think the local football clubs have been in to offer coaching at the school, or at the very well attended (despite the lure of Playstation) Sturday sports club run by a couple of the dads?

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:46 pm

PJD wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:It makes you laugh when you consider the Premier League is totally to blame for Englands dismal showing in the World Cup, that is what people are saying and of course its utter tosh.

Do you have any kids Sheff? I have a couple and hence know lots more from school. The boys are all mad keen on footie, especially now the world cup is on. How many times do you think the local football clubs have been in to offer coaching at the school, or at the very well attended (despite the lure of Playstation) Sturday sports club run by a couple of the dads?

I dont have any kids personally.
My mates youngster who is 10 is currntly on the books of Rotherham United.
He got spotted by a scout as well as a few other players of the team he was playing for. They got a trial and only my mates lad got through it.
He did go to football practise with the team he plays for on a Sunday a few nights a week and a Saturday.
No local football club offered coaching as there are just too many schools and football clubs around. The process is not viable.
However, once selected for Rotherham, he gets loads of coaching.

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:00 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:I dont have any kids personally.
He got spotted by a scout as well as a few other players of the team he was playing for. They got a trial and only my mates lad got through it.
He did go to football practise with the team he plays for on a Sunday a few nights a week and a Saturday.
No local football club offered coaching as there are just too many schools and football clubs around. The process is not viable.

I guess what I am saying really is there is no shortage of enthusiam from the young boys I know. If there is a fault to be found I don't think it is with the kids.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:10 pm

PJD wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:I dont have any kids personally.

I guess what I am saying really is there is no shortage of enthusiam from the young boys I know. If there is a fault to be found I don't think it is with the kids.

I am not suggesting that either. But I am sure you will apreciate that recent technology and society as contributed to the downfall as well as other things.
I mean when I was young, I would go down the local park and play football with street v street.
Would society really allow that today?
I dont think so, you wouldnt know what sort of sad people are hanging about the local park for one.
And half of the kids would be on their play stations and facebook.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:28 pm

Joe Cole is a good player who happened to slice a ridiculous volley in against Sweden. Now everyone thinks he's the bees knees. He isn't really, playing for Chelsea just makes you look better.

PT
Site Addict

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Got to disagree sheff.

The Premier League clubs do have networks of scouts and academies that spot and hone some real talent and the potential that sits within that talent has a far better chance of being realised given the expertise thrown at them. Unfortunately, the opportunity the Premier League has created with one hand, it snatches away with the culture it has created with the other. So lads get to their first professional contract and part of them thinks they have made it, they have more money than anyone they know. Then their agent gets in their ear about how much they could be earning, what other lads earn and the need to be business savvy. Their new found wealth creates a sycophantic environment around them, they are kings of their world at 18/19.

Meanwhile a Dutch kid, a Brazilian kid, a French kid or a kid from the Ivory Coast (I believe Drogba didn't get his first contract until he was 21, 3 or 4 years after his English counterparts had began competing over the best car,watch, house and girlfriend)get their first professional contract at the same time. Sure, it is good to be earning money for playing a game and they now have the means to sustain themselves for now, but they aren't rich. To go on to make themselves really wealthy and join a top European Club, maybe Chelsea, they know they have to keep working, keep developing, keep listening and above all else keep hungry. An extra three or four years of vital development that means that many will ultimately come to England as more rounded footballers and human beings to replace the English prospect who looked a player at 18 but now has to find solace in settling for only £30k a week at a Blackburn or West Ham.

So the Premier League is the cruelest of mistresses in that its wealth creates the opportunity for excellence. But then it is that very wealth that means that footballers don't realise their potential either as players or as men. Greenwood, Robson and to an extent Taylor had men who simply didn't have the talent to compete (Carlton Palmer was the bedrock of Taylors midfield!). Erikson and Cappello have had talent and ability to compete but with a group of men-children who can't take the responsibilities and accountability expected of most adults because the Premier League takes gifted kids with potential, gives them the trappings of success and they thus remain gifted kids with potential, often right up to retirement. And the really sad thing is that far from not having the depth of talent what we have is a depth of wasted talent. Jermaine Pennant and Joey Barton, please take a bow on behalf of a score or so like you, who could actually have been playing in a World Cup semi-final tonight.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:49 pm

Alex Furgusons view on Rooney and England flops.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/06072010/ ... ooney.html

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:45 am

PT wrote:

Got to disagree sheff.

The Premier League clubs do have networks of scouts and academies that spot and hone some real talent and the potential that sits within that talent has a far better chance of being realised given the expertise thrown at them. Unfortunately, the opportunity the Premier League has created with one hand, it snatches away with the culture it has created with the other. So lads get to their first professional contract and part of them thinks they have made it, they have more money than anyone they know. Then their agent gets in their ear about how much they could be earning, what other lads earn and the need to be business savvy. Their new found wealth creates a sycophantic environment around them, they are kings of their world at 18/19.

Meanwhile a Dutch kid, a Brazilian kid, a French kid or a kid from the Ivory Coast (I believe Drogba didn't get his first contract until he was 21, 3 or 4 years after his English counterparts had began competing over the best car,watch, house and girlfriend)get their first professional contract at the same time. Sure, it is good to be earning money for playing a game and they now have the means to sustain themselves for now, but they aren't rich. To go on to make themselves really wealthy and join a top European Club, maybe Chelsea, they know they have to keep working, keep developing, keep listening and above all else keep hungry. An extra three or four years of vital development that means that many will ultimately come to England as more rounded footballers and human beings to replace the English prospect who looked a player at 18 but now has to find solace in settling for only £30k a week at a Blackburn or West Ham.

So the Premier League is the cruelest of mistresses in that its wealth creates the opportunity for excellence. But then it is that very wealth that means that footballers don't realise their potential either as players or as men. Greenwood, Robson and to an extent Taylor had men who simply didn't have the talent to compete (Carlton Palmer was the bedrock of Taylors midfield!). Erikson and Cappello have had talent and ability to compete but with a group of men-children who can't take the responsibilities and accountability expected of most adults because the Premier League takes gifted kids with potential, gives them the trappings of success and they thus remain gifted kids with potential, often right up to retirement. And the really sad thing is that far from not having the depth of talent what we have is a depth of wasted talent. Jermaine Pennant and Joey Barton, please take a bow on behalf of a score or so like you, who could actually have been playing in a World Cup semi-final tonight.

Absolutely brilliant!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:15 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
PT wrote:

Got to disagree sheff.

Absolutely brilliant!

In what way is that brilliant?
Because it is incorrect, like most of your front page ramblings Neil?

PT, as the Premier League as been in existence since 1992, thats 18 years, can you give me examples of the lads you talk about in your first paragraph?
I would be interested to see....

As I stated before and to which no one as come up with a logical reason, the Premier League as existed since 1992, yet England have been as successful/unsuccessful in World Cup competion pre 1992.
Amazing really.

PT, what are your examples of these leading kids from Holland, Brazil and France earning next to nothing?

The Premier League is an excuse that people like you and Neil and others have used as a tool as the reason the national squad have failed.
Show me the posts pre World Cup that blamed the Premier League for this.
You have simply just jumped on a band wagon because you have read about it.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:57 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
PT wrote:

Got to disagree sheff.

Absolutely brilliant!

In what way is that brilliant?
Because it is incorrect, like most of your front page ramblings Neil?

PT, as the Premier League as been in existence since 1992, thats 18 years, can you give me examples of the lads you talk about in your first paragraph?
I would be interested to see....

As I stated before and to which no one as come up with a logical reason, the Premier League as existed since 1992, yet England have been as successful/unsuccessful in World Cup competion pre 1992.
Amazing really.

PT, what are your examples of these leading kids from Holland, Brazil and France earning next to nothing?
I think it's a fairly safe assumption that European leagues are relatively poorly paid, except for the Champions League regulars.

The Premier League is an excuse that people like you and Neil and others have used as a tool as the reason the national squad have failed.
Show me the posts pre World Cup that blamed the Premier League for this.
You have simply just jumped on a band wagon because you have read about it.

It's very easy to blame anything at the moment, especially the Premier League. However, I don't really think you can say that examples have not been given above.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:24 am

Sheff, one of the over-riding reasons for the establishment of the Premier League, which saw money sucked from every level of English fotball to the chosen elite, was that it would benefit English football.

Could you explain to all of us how England has benefitted since then?

After 20 years, nothing. It is a moneypit for greedy people, and adds absolutely no value whatsoever to English football.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:47 am

Exile wrote:Sheff, one of the over-riding reasons for the establishment of the Premier League, which saw money sucked from every level of English fotball to the chosen elite, was that it would benefit English football.

After 20 years, nothing. It is a moneypit for greedy people, and adds absolutely no value whatsoever to English football.

There are now around 40 acadamies across the country, 17 of which are in the Premier League.

Approximately 85% of the 16-18 years olds and 95% of the 16 year olds and under are British.

From next season, clubs must include 8 home grown players out of the squad of 25.

It is recognised as one of best leagues in the World and the money created from it has been invested in football grass roots.

These are just a few examples.

Again Exile, you are jumping on the band wagon that as been created by poor performing players and management in the World Cup.
Where were your concerns before the World Cup and then England team in particular? Tell me....

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:51 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:Sheff, one of the over-riding reasons for the establishment of the Premier League, which saw money sucked from every level of English fotball to the chosen elite, was that it would benefit English football.

There are now around 40 acadamies across the country, 17 of which are in the Premier League.

Approximately 85% of the 16-18 years olds and 95% of the 16 year olds and under are British.

From next season, clubs must include 8 home grown players out of the squad of 25.

It is recognised as one of best leagues in the World and the money created from it has been invested in football grass roots.

These are just a few examples.

Again Exile, you are jumping on the band wagon that as been created by poor performing players and management in the World Cup.
Where were your concerns before the World Cup and then England team in particular? Tell me....

I've been saying it for years, not getting onto bandwagons!

As I asked - please explain how it's benefitted English football, because from my point of view, there's been no benefit to England FC.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:02 am

Exile wrote:
I've been saying it for years, not getting onto bandwagons!

As I asked - please explain how it's benefitted English football, because from my point of view, there's been no benefit to England FC.

See my post how the Premier League and its mangement have improved youth facilities.
Surely this will benefit England FC.

Lets face the facts, which you seem to be missing.

England FC failure in the World Cup is NOT down to the Premier League. It is down to non performing players and a manager that completely lost the plot.

Although I didnt think England would win the World Cup, the players and management should have certainly taken us a lot further in the competition.

Playing players out of position, playing players not good enough, contributed a lot more to our downfall then the Premier League, thats for sure.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:10 am

One of the big battles as far as I am concerned is that the Premier League will go for players from anywhere in the world if they are what the various managers decide they need and can afford. They protect their own skin, their clubs and the fact that fans dont care who is playing for them as long as they win. Who can blame them those managers?. If we are honest the same applies at league One. We have not turned away as club management or not supported as fans non English players who have done a job for us

i used to think that world class players from foreign shores promoted the standard of the competitions (which it undoubtably does) and thus raise the game for the benefit fo English eligible players. But the problem is that more and more of those English players are not making their club sides and there are few players for the England manager to choose from who are performing at the top level week in and week out. When those top players lose form for one reason or another they remain safe in the knowledge that that there is precious little competition.

Goalkeeping is a classic example. Ho many clubs in the Premiership have a goalkeeper as first choice who is English? I suspect that they can be counted on one hand

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:31 am

Jeremy Busby wrote:Goalkeeping is a classic example. How many clubs in the Premier League have a goalkeeper as first choice who is English? I suspect that they can be counted on one hand

Birmingham (Foster)
Blackburn (Robinson)
Newcastle (Harper)
West Ham (Green)
Wigan (Kirkland)
+ whoever signs David James

Hart will be first choice at Man City until Given is fully recovered.

It's a pretty grim prospect!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:32 am

Jeremy Busby wrote:
Goalkeeping is a classic example. Ho many clubs in the Premiership have a goalkeeper as first choice who is English? I suspect that they can be counted on one hand

Wigan (Kirkland), Birmingham ( Hart), West Brom (carson), West Ham (Green), Blackburn (Robinson), Blackpool (Gilks), Hewcastle (Harper) + james.

So thats eight with three of them coming up with promoted teams.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:42 am

latviancheese wrote:
Jeremy Busby wrote:
Goalkeeping is a classic example. How many clubs in the Premier League have a goalkeeper as first choice who is English? I suspect that they can be counted on one hand

Wigan (Kirkland), Birmingham (Hart), West Brom (Carson), West Ham (Green), Blackburn (Robinson), Blackpool (Gilks), Newcastle (Harper) + James.

So that's eight, with three of them coming up with promoted teams.

Hart has returned to Man City, Carson has left the Bagladies and Blackpool have an American goalkeeper (Rachubka).

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:45 am

Pedagogue wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Jeremy Busby wrote:

Wigan (Kirkland), Birmingham (Hart), West Brom (Carson), West Ham (Green), Blackburn (Robinson), Blackpool (Gilks), Newcastle (Harper) + James.

So that's eight, with three of them coming up with promoted teams.

Hart has returned to Man City, Carson has left the Bagladies and Blackpool have an American goalkeeper (Rachubka).

Gilks did play 20 games for Bpool last season, so i dont think they can decide who their goalkeeper is.

And they released Koren, not Carson. :wink:
Last edited by latviancheese on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext
Return to England Highs & Lows